MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

OMG - First 300 Series Arrives
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author OMG - First 300 Series Arrives
dougcl
sduck wrote:
Damn Muff those are sweet looking. And I presume sweet sounding, in an eelish sort of sweet way. I envy you 4 them. Great pics besides - it's not often these are photographed with such detail. More pics of the backs?

Muff if you can get some nice straight on shots when your modules arrive, we can get zip files made up for Rack Planner. I haven't seen any really usable images of Wiard anywhere.
Muff Wiggler
sure! I won't be home 'till late thursday night, but I'll get some more pics (backsides and front) on the weekend
Kwote wrote:
+1 more on the wiard jacks. i really like how solid they feel. no cable wriggling around. in fact i'm gonna use them for all my future diy.

I would be surprised if they have silver or Tin plated contacts.
chamomileshark
Muff, are you planning to get more modules? If so, what's next on the list?
Muff Wiggler
chamomileshark wrote:

Yes I have 7 more modules on the way to me

First an envelator that I also am in the middle of buying from Dave

then my 6-module order that I paid for last year with Grant, that he is still building for me and currently estimating 'late summer'

that order is for -

Sequantizer
Classic VCO
Woggle Bug
Dual Borg 1 Filters
Envelator
Mixolator

Following that I will be on the search for 3 modules to fill out the 'second' rack that I've started now with these second hand modules from Dave. I will want to add a Classic VCO, Sequantizer and Envelator to it.

Then I try to get a 'new controller' unit to finish the system off.
chamomileshark
Sounds good. I love the "to finish the system off" bit smile

I'm going to expand mine also, I have 7 modules so a second rack is also beckoning. I guess you have the Boogie in 1200 series like me. Even so I am thinking it will be something I will get in the LP/HP 300 series.

The new controller is wonderful.
HexEnduction
Muff Wiggler wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:

Yes I have 7 more modules on the way to me

First an envelator that I also am in the middle of buying from Dave

then my 6-module order that I paid for last year with Grant, that he is still building for me and currently estimating 'late summer'

that order is for -

Sequantizer
Classic VCO
Woggle Bug
Dual Borg 1 Filters
Envelator
Mixolator

Following that I will be on the search for 3 modules to fill out the 'second' rack that I've started now with these second hand modules from Dave. I will want to add a Classic VCO, Sequantizer and Envelator to it.

Then I try to get a 'new controller' unit to finish the system off.

Congratulations Muff! That will be one incredible system!

screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
Dono-Kun Dance Dono-Kun Dance Dono-Kun Dance
Roycie Roller
Muff, how are you liking your 300 series modules? Any thoughts on their sound & overall impressions?
amnesia
can someone pleeeeze do a great 5 min wiard system vid, there is nothing good online.

i have lusted over the wiards for about 5 years but ended up getting a serge and buchla instead...
wetterberg
yeah, I'm quite tempted to simply write off the 300 series as something for collectors, not musicians...

(bait has been cast. Now... we wait)
mono-poly
amnesia wrote:
can someone pleeeeze do a great 5 min wiard system vid, there is nothing good online.

i have lusted over the wiards for about 5 years but ended up getting a serge and buchla instead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_IZytzDGvM screaming goo yo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl1o086hIDc screaming goo yo
http://mono-poly.blogspot.com/2008/11/noodlemono-poly-u-boat-huntdown. html hihi

Is that enough to get convinced?
wetterberg
nope. those are the same two videos we've been watching for the last couple of years. wink
mono-poly
I aint gonna make a video maybe a wiard noodle in a few weeks.
But right now i am really into my Buchla.
chamomileshark
I have some samples and an experimental all Wiard 300 series track. I'm working on a Berlin/Space rock all Wiard track too. If anyone is interested I'll put up the links
mono-poly
Put it up!
ignatius
mono-poly wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl1o086hIDc screaming goo yo

i love that video and want to hear more of it. i want to hear a whole album of that... and of course i want to make that happen w/my modular. sounds great.
chamomileshark
ok, the samples are here. I did them in the first few weeks of getting the system.

http://share.ovi.com/album/ChamomileShark.public

Two experimental tracks, I would stress it does "normal" too..as the berlin/Space rock track when I get finished will show.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadsong.cfm?id=7509400

http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadsong.cfm?id=6814438
mono-poly
Nice demo's!
amnesia
i cry FAKE

It has to be on video or it didnt happen :-)
Muff Wiggler
Roycie Roller wrote:
Muff, how are you liking your 300 series modules? Any thoughts on their sound & overall impressions?

well, i've mostly been away from home since they arrived, so I've only had a few hours with them

but my thoughts on sound and my overall impressions......

ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY.

bear in mind, I have been dreaming of these things for close to ten years now, to me this occupies that 'mythical system' place where many people put EMS Synthi, Buchla 200, Serge, etc. So I had my expectations set high...

and I'm happy to say, they were exceeded, by a lot.

The Omni Filter - Grant warned me "You've heard this one before, it doesn't have a signature sound", in a way, he is right - it's the classic OTA filter 'sorta' sound we all know.

What is new to me, is the impeccable sound quality - it's a sound I've heard before, but in a clear, present, full way I've never really experienced before. Hard to put your finger on - I hate the term 'audiophile' because to me that is associated with snake-oil, but it's the only way to put it - it is an audiophile grade filter.

But, what I haven't heard before, the thing that MAKES the Omni in my opinion, the best thing about it - the phase shift. OMG, so wonderful. After talking to Grant, I scoped it, and indeed, it's two notches and a peak. And it sounds SO, SO, SO very rich and lush, just unreal. That alone makes the filter just amazing and so unique to me.

The Waveform city - I have to admit I haven't spent a lot of time with the waveform part yet, as I have this same ROM in one of my Blacet MiniWaves

but I've used the VCO part a lot - and I pretty much echo the sentiments above - insane, audiophile VCO. The sawtooth is so powerful with a bit of filtering, and the sines are shaking my windows. I have some nice VCOs to compare it to - the Z3000 is my favorite for raw sound and FM response, the AFG for modulation and animation options, the Blacet for tracking range and workhorse features, and the Zerosc for special tricks and sound FX.

I have to say that the Wiard is now my favorite for raw sound quality, basses, and workhorse features, and I find (based on limited experience) it is on par with the Z3000 for FM, maybe even a hair better. Oh yeah, it's the best of them all for sync.

So this is after a few hours only, and bear in mind it's honeymoon phase so it's difficult not to gush....

also the build construction and the engineering is incomparable to anything I've ever seen. Everything is on headers, nothing is board mounted. Replacing jacks, pots or LEDs will take literally MINUTES. It's all shielded in it's own per-module box. It's all so quiet and RICH sounding, i don't know. I love my small format modular stuff, but this really feels like a different league somehow.

Module #3, a Dual Envelator just hit the mail to me, arriving in a week or two.

The remaining six should come mid to late summer.

I'll make a vid once it's all here, promise
Roycie Roller
Thanks for the descriptions. As you know, i have some modules on order, but it's hard to predict what to expect. I like the part about the VCO section of the WFC being on par at FM with the TipTop. I like to be able to fuck up a sound a lot. I'm looking forwards to the Classic VCO. Plord wrote that it gets real strange really quick.
There's no doubt that they are worth it for the build quality- there's nothing worse than having a new module or whatever else fall apart in your hands after only a few uses.
plord
I will also make vids if I ever get the goddamned thing powered and audible again. Hard to do from NYC. Whine Whine Whine without this job I'd have no Wiard to begin with but srsly WTFOMGBBQ.
panda30y
Muff Wiggler wrote:
What is new to me, is the impeccable sound quality - it's a sound I've heard before, but in a clear, present, full way I've never really experienced before.

Even though they are just audio recordings, when I first heard the 300 series online that's what struck me the most. It's absolutely audible in the recordings that these are much clearer than most other synths without losing it's fullness. "Crisp" is how I would describe what I feel they sound like. I just wish I could play with one in person. Anyone in Chicago showing up to Surachai's meetup with one? hihi
chamomileshark
Hey Muff, do you really have the same ROM on the WC as the Miniwave, on mine they are quite different..I thought they were different on the original WC ROM too (mine has default version 2).
Muff Wiggler
Mine's a WC#3, it has the 'new.256' ROM

I picked up that ROM for my MiniWave Expander when it was built for me a couple years back....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3