MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Opinions on our latest modular layout?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Opinions on our latest modular layout?
VanEck

In the last couple of months, we have gone from no modular, to two racks, to now three racks. We can't possibly afford to expand beyond that anytime soon, we are trying to make sure these three racks got us covered and covered good!

We own about half of the modules in this picture... ones we don't own are: Hertz Donut, Model 14, A-147, and the Malekko Delay and Borg Filter,... so these are the modules we are curious of peoples opinions the most. Smart choices? Everything meshing well together and balanced to make one fucked up noise machine and effects unit?

The rest pictured we have and are currently installed in our 3 racks worth of space, cept for the QMMG which is on pre-order from AH and should be here in 2 weeks. Not shown in the picture is a stand alone 4x Plague Bearer... so it seems like when we get the Borg, we will be very "filter heavy", as well as "LFO and Modulation heavy". Also not shown is a Kenton Solo mkII which we use for control. The gap between the VCA and Springverb is intentional, as the faceplate on our verb is 2 spaces bigger (old model).

Thanks! Dinner at the Y
MrDys
I'm actually surprised you don't have a A196 PLL. Given your setup, I'd probably take one of those over the VCLFO.

Or, maybe since you're so filter/effect heavy, the 4HP VC Crossfader (A134-2)? I guess you could use the M14 for that, but it seems kind of like a waste of a mixer...
Illiac
That shit looks brilliant! Lots of lfo modulation. Maybe some overlap? Also, are you clocking/ tracking any of that, or is it all going to be free running?
doobedy
Yeah looking at the VCLFO is there a point in both that and the MFB dual lfo?

Even though you completely didn't ask--if I sat down with this what I would miss most of all (outside of multiples wink) would be clock utility modules.

If you have any interest in syncing this madness to a clock or beat, check out the A160 clock divider, A161 clock sequencer, and A151 sequential switch. Those are three modules I would feel crippled without. They are meat and potatoes for dividing up a clock and spreading it out to different modules, and they are all 4hp. A160 doubles as a suboscillator too, I was happy to discover recently.
Illiac
duh, didn't read all the way down. Missed the Kenton part. d'oh!
smitty
Im still trying to figure out the booting of the Frequensteiner out of this rig. WTF? When I think of the freq, your sig pic comes to mind!
DGTom
doobedy wrote:

147 gives you all the waveforms at the same time. I love my MFB Duals, but I'd miss my Blacet Micro LFOs if I only had the MFBs.

With regards to the 196 PLL, you'd have 3 PLLs in the system with that & the Woggle (assuming the Doepfer has 1 4046 inside & Makenoise uses 2 4046s, dunno how differant it is to the #3)

Altho having the raw PLL interact with the Wogglebug would be pretty nuts!

It would seem to me that your system is geared toward textural stuff rather than rythmic / sequenced, if this is mostly for drones, noise etc. I wouldn't worry about clock divders etc. cos unless you remove the Malekko stuff you won't be able to mek it fit!

One thing to think about is the M14 functions can be (pretty much) covered by other, smaller, modules. I got a 172 Min/Max & fucking rocks for putting oscillators thru!

screaming goo yo
doobedy
DGTom wrote:
doobedy wrote:

147 gives you all the waveforms at the same time. I love my MFB Duals, but I'd miss my Blacet Micro LFOs if I only had the MFBs.

You got me there 8_) I have the MFBs as well, but plenty of other modulation, so I guess I never missed multiple outs. But now I kind of do. Damn.

DGTom wrote:

It would seem to me that your system is geared toward textural stuff rather than rythmic / sequenced, if this is mostly for drones, noise etc. I wouldn't worry about clock divders etc. cos unless you remove the Malekko stuff you won't be able to mek it fit!

Yeah it would be 12hp for all the modules I named. In fairness (to myself!) I actually use mine on pretty much every patch, in noisier patches I use them to trigger things at different but related times, or clocked by something modulated by something else, for pseudo-random cyclical triggering of different events. I love unsteady clocks. Or clocked at audio rates for different nastiness. Either way, cold dead hands etc. If I had to choose just one it'd be the A160.

Having said all that, I just listened to his music on myspace, and it had a definite beat Rawk!
VanEck
Thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone!

Quote:
I'm actually surprised you don't have a A196 PLL. Given your setup, I'd probably take one of those over the VCLFO.

I am thinking I definitely want the VCLFO for reasons I'll get to in a moment, but I am thinking about replacing the 189-1 with something more useful for me. As far as bit crunching audio and CV goes, I am discovering that the Tyme Sefari can actually handle this quite well and the 189-1 is a bit becoming redundant for me. Perhaps the PLL could fit this bill.

Quote:
Or, maybe since you're so filter/effect heavy, the 4HP VC Crossfader (A134-2)? I

I have not looked into this mixer much, but I will definitely check it out per your suggestion. If I can avoid any further Plan B modules, I will definitely do so. Crossfading is definitely one of the reasons I wanted the M14.

Quote:
If you have any interest in syncing this madness to a clock or beat, check out the A160 clock divider, A161 clock sequencer

Good call! I have been thinking that the 160/161 would come in handy... but I'll be damned if I can find them for sale anywhere! I've kind of given up, and figured I could just use my Kenton for and the gates out of the Wooglebug and Zorlon for synching and such for now.

Quote:

Adding the VCLFO is definitely going to make it LFO heavy... but as much as I love the MFB Dual LFO, there have been times were some nice slow synchable sine waves would come in handy that the MFB doesn't offer. Also I think the VCLFO would come in handy to actually run into the Vulcan Modulator since it can be synched and the Vulcan can not. Also like DGTom brought up, the multiple outs are very appealing.

Quote:
Im still trying to figure out the booting of the Frequensteiner out of this rig. WTF? When I think of the freq, your sig pic comes to mind!

It was a tuff choice to get rid of it for sure. It has a great sound. But after playing with it for a while, we think it was just too warm and vintage sounding... we've been using the Polivoks more and more, and the Freq less and less. We want to find something similar sounding and versatile as the Poli, but more *squelchy* than *vintage* or *distorted* like the Poli and Freq... this is where we hope the Borg filter will come in to play hihi

Quote:

Very good call! This is exactly the conclusion we came to when we decided to hold off on the 160/161 and Flame Clockwork we were going to buy. We are definitely interested in rhythmic stuff, and I think we can do some basic stuff by gating the 132-3 or QMMG and such, but nothing too fancy. SInce the modules we have are already mostly geared to noise and drones, we figured we'd take it all the way. Some day, if we can afford another 3U or 6U of space, we'd like to get more of the MFB Drum and Percussion modules and gear that entire rack toward glitchy percussive elements. But for now, that area of modular madness will have to wait.

Quote:
One thing to think about is the M14 functions can be (pretty much) covered by other, smaller, modules. I got a 172 Min/Max & fucking rocks for putting oscillators thru!

Another vote to boot the M14! I will definitely check out the 172.

We still keep thinking that the 160 would come in handy *now*, and a lot of the opinions in this thread so far reflect that. Perhaps if we found a way to get some multiples outside of the rack, we could then squeeze one in where our 180 is currently?
BananaPlug
Quote:
The gap between the VCA and Springverb is intentional, as the faceplate on our verb is 2 spaces bigger (old model).

FYI - If you're using RackPlanner you might want to get the zip file for the wide version of the A-199 from this module library.
dougcl
I got the M14 and dropped the Doepfer min/max module in the interest of maximizing density. The M14 is really a wonderful module. Once you have all the mixer channels patched in you can manipulate the crossfader and get all kinds of combinations. Plus the fact that all the knobs are polarized makes it great for CV attenuation and offset (which appears to be something you need). The multitude of outputs on the M14 means you've got a lot of stuff to experiment with after you've got some inputs patched up.
doobedy
VanEck wrote:

We still keep thinking that the 160 would come in handy *now*, and a lot of the opinions in this thread so far reflect that. Perhaps if we found a way to get some multiples outside of the rack, we could then squeeze one in where our 180 is currently?

Well, there is this:
http://www.alexiles.com/UM410.html screaming goo yo
felix
no such thing as "lfo heavy" imo.

LFOs make great low audio range oscillators too.
vav
Now if you'd only take it on tour.

Oh, and er, hi, i run your sound when you're in Chicago smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1