I AM IMP

Gear, Suggestions and Discussion.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, computer controlled, flight

MisterBrown
Common Wiggler

Post by MisterBrown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Just got mine! Then had to leave town for a few days... Lovely noises will have to wait.

reppiks
Obscure Intergalactic Destroyers!

Post by reppiks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:25 am

Mine just arrived, excited to play with it later!

reppiks

Post by reppiks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:02 am

reppiks wrote:Mine just arrived, excited to play with it later!
oh boy this thing can get brutal :woah: :woah: :woah:

start CVing it and send the output out through the Kuzminorgal and 2 Plague Bearers, and get rabidly pulverised :eek: :eek: :eek:

theabsent
?

Post by theabsent » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:24 am

Somehow I didn't get it work with Plague Bearer very well. Have to try Kuzminorgel.

reppiks

Post by reppiks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:40 am

theabsent wrote:Somehow I didn't get it work with Plague Bearer very well. Have to try Kuzminorgel.
my output signal path is: IMP > Kuz (main knob @ 2 o'clock, instability knob at max) > mult > 2 PBs in parallel (both with Input set to max) > PB1 to Left out, PB2 to Right out

then play with IMP settings and add some CVing...

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:14 pm

ordered one today, can't wait

MisterBrown
Common Wiggler

Post by MisterBrown » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:34 pm

Hooked mine up last night. So much fun!!! Great heavy droney movement. Wasn't sure what to expect when I ordered it, but alas is a solid get. Really comes alive when all inputs are modulated. Perhaps that's a universal statement though! Thanks Flight and EFN!

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:10 pm

The IMP is the best!

nrdvrgr
Working at NASA on acid

Post by nrdvrgr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Arrgh... INM is the best! Glögg för helvete! Ond jul!
-Extendunt barbam tuam, et velo-

BUY/LISTEN: http://nordvargr.bandcamp.com
VIDEO: http://vimeo.com/nrdvrgr

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:57 pm

yea, after getting the IMP, I've been planning on where to put my INM so I can CV it more convieniently! :flamey:

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:08 pm

Cybananna wrote:yea, after getting the IMP, I've been planning on where to put my INM so I can CV it more convieniently! :flamey:
Heh. I know. I need to get some longer 1/8" cables to run between my Pressure Points / Analog Memories in the 2nd 6U and the IMP in the main 6U. God - it's great to really be able to really sequence the IMP for once.

Also - so as I mentioned earlier, I'm interested in doing a demo video for the IMP. I'm planning on trying to do it pretty technical (see: no additional effects) and I'm open to requests on what anyone would like to see demonstrated.

I'm currently planning on doing demonstrations of the four Domains, in both modes. On that note, I might split it into two videos - one for each mode. Specific sounds in mind? Voices? Screams? Drones? CV source?
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/
http://www.answer-phone.org

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Tuned-ish (as far as possible) & modulated percussive sounds would rock!

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:51 pm

mckenic wrote:Tuned-ish (as far as possible) & modulated percussive sounds would rock!
+1 - anything percussive with LPG, Polyrhythm type stuff

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:38 am

mckenic wrote:Tuned-ish (as far as possible) & modulated percussive sounds would rock!
I'm wondering how it tracks - so I'll definitely try and tune it (tame it) for some of it. Also - modulated percussive, you got it! :tu:
mudlogger wrote:
+1 - anything percussive with LPG, Polyrhythm type stuff
I don't own any LPG's though I can try weird rhythm stuff.
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/
http://www.answer-phone.org

reppiks

Post by reppiks » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:30 am

so how are you guys patching your IMP? i've got a few ripping sounds out of it but definitely feel i'm not getting as much out of it yet as can be done...

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:55 am

Yeah, its a bit of a :hmm: for me too - a SERIOUSLY fun head scratcher, but a scratcher none the less :hihi:

jgb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jgb » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:14 am

Modulation, modulation and yet more modulation. Is what it needs. On its own it is useful for certain things, but really comes alive when modulating all its inputs (oooh, sounds a bit nasty, ey :)).
Taking care of 99musik.se since 2002 | Dub techno/techno/acid | Misc/modular | Modular

reppiks

Post by reppiks » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:27 am

jgb wrote:Modulation, modulation and yet more modulation. Is what it needs. On its own it is useful for certain things, but really comes alive when modulating all its inputs (oooh, sounds a bit nasty, ey :)).
do you tend to attenuate or VCA your modulation inputs, or just whack 'em straight in?

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:09 am

Just bought one! I'm stoked to try it out.

jgb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jgb » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:14 am

reppiks wrote:do you tend to attenuate or VCA your modulation inputs, or just whack 'em straight in?
This far I have been feeding them straight in. Audio range for modulation works great. :) My primary goal have been to trying to befriend the IMP, to find out what I can use it for, and when not to use it.
Taking care of 99musik.se since 2002 | Dub techno/techno/acid | Misc/modular | Modular

Cadence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cadence » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Just plugged in my new IMP. It's a noisy little box for sure, but already after about an hours use I've found quite a few sweet spots. With a bit of delay it's got a fairly unpredictable but wide sonic palette. it's producing some fantastic textures.

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:00 pm

got it today, must say i love it, trrying different modulations, audio rate, lfo's, seq, really like how it sounds, can sound nice too, it has an eerie sound i like a lot, think can see different uses, from noisy stuff, to more drone, to more nice seas of noise etc, fm it with a seq osc etc
if i had the money now, i would order a second one, so much fun

subterryanean
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subterryanean » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm curious if you can get some liquid/crackle'npop/whitenoisewind/amradio type sounds out of it.

I'm also curious as to how it might compare to the Noise Swash, in terms of the aforementioned textures. Those "hyper frequency soft whispers" are my favorite things to pull out of thee mighty swash buckler, but are not so easy to find, (especially when I'm looking for them).

So yeah, soft ambient noise crackle wind, and maybe a bit of high magnitude bowel gouging low end thunder rolls to even things out. super high clickity clicks and super low clickly clicks.
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:Also - so as I mentioned earlier, I'm interested in doing a demo video for the IMP. I'm planning on trying to do it pretty technical (see: no additional effects) and I'm open to requests on what anyone would like to see demonstrated.

I'm currently planning on doing demonstrations of the four Domains, in both modes. On that note, I might split it into two videos - one for each mode. Specific sounds in mind? Voices? Screams? Drones? CV source?

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:04 pm

i made some recordings/demo of the imp in the last week, output is straight from imp (with some delay sometimes, or going through the qmmg filter etc)
check my soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/w-ravenveer

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Very nice! Is that a lot of audio rate modulation?
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ - Waldorf Microwave II . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . Microvolt 3900 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

Return to “Flight of Harmony”