MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CGS builds; lfo, divider, tube vca.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author CGS builds; lfo, divider, tube vca.
wetterberg
yay, just finished first partial build of the year... that took long enough!

CGS Master Divider. Yes, panelling this will be fun, since it HAS NO KNOBS! hehe.

Anyway, board is populated, there's some errors in the CGS B.O.M. which I had missed, luckily I could grab the parts from another kit, which is no incomplete :saad panda:

2 inputs, 16 outputs - 16 leds.
that's 34 spots to arrange, and the plan is to mult some of this out in the panel, along with AND-gates and OR-gates... Off to front panel designer! ... in the morning.

Pics tomorrow - then you can slander my soldering haxx0rz skillz.
DGTom
8_)

Look forward to the pics / cheat notes hihi

This is one I really want to build *at some stage* but not even going to attempt it until I build up my skills.

Its a blikenlightz machine tho! Are you going to do all 16 LEDs? I was thinking it would be doable with 4, one for each major division, 16 chasing one another would look pretty neat but!
wetterberg
DGTom wrote:
8_)

Look forward to the pics / cheat notes hihi
it's dead simple... although it has 8 or so SMD caps in there, which can be a bit daunting for a newb. I'm ot a newb, but coming back from a... multi-year hiatus from my soldering iron, and I found that it took me quite a long time, simply to get the lay of the land... my next divider board will probably take me less than two hours to assemble. I'll then be stacking up my PCBs, awaiting a stack of blank panels and components to finish some builds.

I populated a CGS Dual Utility LFO today, that took about an hour. And it's heaps of fun, too smile
Quote:

This is one I really want to build *at some stage* but not even going to attempt it until I build up my skills.
the *panel* for this one will be daunting, yeah. Especially since I'm combining it with other modules in a larger panel.
DGTom wrote:
Its a blikenlightz machine tho! Are you going to do all 16 LEDs? I was thinking it would be doable with 4, one for each major division, 16 chasing one another would look pretty neat but!
LEDs are simple, and the Master Divider has LED outputs for each division, so hellz yeah I'm adding it all. I will however be making the first division of each section blue, and the other LEDs yellow, for contrast.

Especially if you're working with longer divisions of a slow clock then the LED indicators will be helpful.
wetterberg
Master Divider and two Dual LFOs, all within 24 hours... hehe I'm on faiahhh!
meh
DGTom
YGG!

Looking good!

wetterberg wrote:
I will however be making the first division of each section blue, and the other LEDs yellow, for contrast.

Good call!

wetterberg wrote:
Especially if you're working with longer divisions of a slow clock then the LED indicators will be helpful.

A very, very good point. I hadn't thought of that at all d'oh! I was only thinking about 120bpm+ clocks going in & crazy fast LED flashing, but you are right, it would be silly to not use the Master Divider for longer / slower things grin
wetterberg
this is how anal I was; I spent like 5 minutes trying to correct the position of the transistors... how moronic am I - that doesn't matter wink

Oh, and yes, I usually make sure the resistors in longer arrays are oriented the same way... that's what's up.
Luka
have fun wiring em all up hihi
ive spent so much time making connector cables over the last few weeks
after awhile it makes me go like this nuts nuts nuts
wetterberg
I've got a fabulous set of tools and crimp thingies on order - it'll be fine wink

Andreas (gets back to stuffing a Tube VCA)
wetterberg
shit, I fucking need to stop now.

Muff Wiggler
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
fonik
wetterberg wrote:
Oh, and yes, I usually make sure the resistors in longer arrays are oriented the same way... that's what's up.

i am doing this too - not because i am an audiophile, but just to make troubleshooting (reading the color codes) easier!
wetterberg
@muff grin
@Fonik: good call, man. Keep telling yourself that wink

alright, next up:

4 Vactrol boards
Steiner Parker filter, fully loaded
and the most daunting:
Fully loaded CGS VCO... gulp.

Blank panels on order, a lot of illustrator fiddling to start now.
Luka
the vco isnt too hard
the only pcb ive not got working thus far has been the cgs steiner filter :(
Dego
Sometimes I forget about time and just keep soldering because it so fun.

Good work. I also put my resistors the same way for the same reason fonik does it...

Must order some more cgs boards soon... very frustrating
wetterberg
Dego wrote:
Must order some more cgs boards soon... very frustrating
definitely - me too! I still need

2 pulse dividers ( it does odd divisions, and has some logic built in too)
4 vcas
4 Slope detectors
4 cgs60 stomp box adapters.
2 Wave Folders

screaming goo yo

@Luka Damn; what's wrong with your Steiner?

Andreas /just noticed he forgot a bunch of wire jumpers last night wink
Luka
wish i knew
its hacked now
no point contuning.
one thing about the cgs boards is they dont really like desoldering too much
wetterberg
good to know, thanks Luka. I've tried to do fast soldering with a smallish amount of solder, and not glob it on like I used to when circuitbending back in the day d'oh! - this also means that - theoretically - I should have a larger window of soldering before I break shit for good.
wetterberg
Still some parts missing from one Master Divider and the VCO - nothing critical though, hope to find the missing parts in my parts bin tomorrow.

from left to right:

1* Steiner Parker Synthacon filter
2* Dual Utility LFOs
2* Master Divider
1* Tube VCA/distortion
1* VCO
Above:
4*Variable resistor-thingies from Bridechamber.

Next up; testing and callibration
zthee
Nice job!
wetterberg
zthee wrote:
Nice job!
thanks! I have a hunch that the panels for these are going to be huuuge.
fonik
just a recomendation for the utility LFO: add a switch for changing the range!

wetterberg
fonik wrote:
just a recomendation for the utility LFO: add a switch for changing the range!
very good idea; I'll be modding these as heavily as I can, so a big ol' switch would be good.

But being the novice that I am I prefer building to spec, testing them fully, and THEN tweaking them out.
Reese P. Dubin
Just DO the LFO range mod.

It is EASY

It is ESSENTIAL
panda30y
Nice mod recommendation Fonik, I'l have to keep that in mind if I come around to building one. Also very nice work wetterberg, it looks purt with all those resistors!
wetterberg
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
Just DO the LFO range mod.

It is EASY

It is ESSENTIAL
I will smile As I said, build to spec first, test them, THEN mod them.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2