MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FlopSeq Sequencer Board [Updates]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author FlopSeq Sequencer Board [Updates]
asterisk
im interested in an add on board with these features:
-Dual clock
-Simple /2/3/4 clock divider
-XOR (accepts just about any input, and outputs both bipolar audio, and logic level signals)
-Simple gate to trigger converter

and any other cool logic stuff.

i agree with rod serling, for those of us that have already built a FlopSeq, itd be redundant to have the flopseq as an add on board. unless you are still thinking that will be a single board and everything else will go onto the add on boards.

i finally got my panel all wired up and functional and everything last night. its not pretty but its working great now. ill post a pic soon.
J3RK
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
J3RK wrote:
I worked up some PCBs last night for something along these lines. I'll have to take a closer look at panel connections/controls to make sure I didn't overdo it on that side of things.

There are two 3"x"5" boards. Between the two of them, they include:

-Dual clock
-Simple /2/3/4 clock divider
-XOR (accepts just about any input, and outputs both bipolar audio, and logic level signals)
-Simple gate to trigger converter
-One loopable AD envelope
-FlopSeq08

These features can be swapped out for others, but they all seemed to fit nicely on the boards, and would work nicely together. seriously, i just don't get it

Any thoughts?

These are more or less ready to get test boards ordered, but I'd love a bit of input on it. I'm not sure if the looping AD is the best choice, but with it in place, this module would only need a sound source and amplifier or gate to get some interesting sounds and rhythms going.

Another idea for that "slot" might be a simple logic AND or OR, or maybe something else entirely.

Sounds like some nice features.

My only concern would be that I think there are a bunch of us that have slopseq boards. Buying new boards that contain the flopseq is a bit redundant. Can you say which features are on the PCB that doesn't include the flopseq? Maybe if the boards are offered separately, those of up with original flopseqs can choose to supplement them with the add-on PCB that doesn't include the flopseq.

This "newer" Flopseq board just has the AD tacked onto it. I wanted to make the boards match in size and mounting, so I thought I'd put the extra space to use. Other than that, all of the clocking features are on the other board. It may actually make more sense to just do the clocking companion and the original board. Only two mounting holes would line up, but that should be sufficient.

I could also rearrange the features to where the clock was the "extra" part of the Flopseq board. It would be a nice improvement to include an internal clock. Of course one doesn't even have to populate that section of the board either, if it's not going to be used.
jbaken
would definitely love one of these new boards
Rod Serling Fan Club
J3RK wrote:
It may actually make more sense to just do the clocking companion and the original board. Only two mounting holes would line up, but that should be sufficient.

I like this idea best so far.

Can you detail what all the controls would be so I can think of how this add-on board might best be implemented in a panel? I'm guessing the clock divider is just 4 jacks, the XOR is 4 jacks, gate to trigger is 2. Not sure what features the clocks have. Are they 0-10v?

Looking at all these features, I could see them easily filling a single buchla panel. It appears to me all of them can stand alone and aren't necessarily tied to or dependent on the sequencer, is this right? If that is the case I'd probably lean towards making a separate panel for this and going with the sequencer design I already have presented. On the other hand if this has features that directly affect how the sequencer operates that would be good to know. I mean things such as adding switches for steps, gate outputs or anything of that nature.
J3RK
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
J3RK wrote:
It may actually make more sense to just do the clocking companion and the original board. Only two mounting holes would line up, but that should be sufficient.

I like this idea best so far.

Can you detail what all the controls would be so I can think of how this add-on board might best be implemented in a panel? I'm guessing the clock divider is just 4 jacks, the XOR is 4 jacks, gate to trigger is 2. Not sure what features the clocks have. Are they 0-10v?

Looking at all these features, I could see them easily filling a single buchla panel. It appears to me all of them can stand alone and aren't necessarily tied to or dependent on the sequencer, is this right? If that is the case I'd probably lean towards making a separate panel for this and going with the sequencer design I already have presented. On the other hand if this has features that directly affect how the sequencer operates that would be good to know. I mean things such as adding switches for steps, gate outputs or anything of that nature.

That's a really good idea actually. I like your current panel. Going this route would open more options for a second module. Like added logic.

Currently my designs are set up for:

0 to 15V logic
-5V to +5V audio
CVs (depending on what they are,) are either 0 to 10V or -5V to +5V. Things like PWM or crossfaders, it makes sense to use a bipolar signal with 0 center.

Not exactly Buchla specs. The logic level could be clamped easily enough. I don't know about changing the other ranges though.

For the sequencer specifically, the output is 0 to 10V for CV.

It's starting to look like I need to buy a Buchla cabinet!

All this 4U DIY is absolutely beautiful. woah
asterisk
here's a picture of my final FlopSEQ build with panel.
i used 2x8HP doepfer blanks. the PCB fits nicely parallel to the panel behind 16HP.

this is a really cool little sequencer. simple but musical and fun to use.

p.s. does anyone know of a good way to glue LEDs onto metal so that they hold in place and dont slide out? or are there other adhesives that are better? i tried some super glue but it did not bond the plastic to the metal.
iopop
I glue a few stacked washers behind the panel. This gives a bit more space for the LED to glue onto and they won't stick out completely.
Monobass
asterisk wrote:
here's a picture of my final FlopSEQ build with panel.
i used 2x8HP doepfer blanks. the PCB fits nicely parallel to the panel behind 16HP.

this is a really cool little sequencer. simple but musical and fun to use.

p.s. does anyone know of a good way to glue LEDs onto metal so that they hold in place and dont slide out? or are there other adhesives that are better? i tried some super glue but it did not bond the plastic to the metal.

what are the outputs next to the knobs? trig outs?
cleaninglady
MonobassThey are Gate Outs. (i have been corrected , they are not Trigger Outs , my bad...)
Memory_Leak
@ asterisk

what about these mate ?

LED Bezels Holders
J3RK
I ordered test boards for the companion board. I can likely shrink it down about an inch which would make it Euro friendly as well.

It contains two clocks, XOR, clock divider, and simple gate to trigger converter. (I may make the latter a dual G to T.)

I should have the test boards back in a couple of days, and pending the results, could kick off a run shortly after. I'll start an interest check thread for it after I test it a bit.
FrankV
J3RK wrote:
It contains two clocks, XOR, clock divider, and simple gate to trigger converter. (I may make the latter a dual G to T.)

At the well-understood risk of promoting feature creep, (hides) what might be involved in providing, on the 'helper' board, a conditioning circuit to tap off the LED drives (or however it's done) to provide for either 8 separate gates, or one switchable gate that could be programmed with 8 switches?

Feel free to disregard if you desire. d'oh!

Frank
J3RK
FrankV wrote:
J3RK wrote:

At the well-understood risk of promoting feature creep, (hides) what might be involved in providing, on the 'helper' board, a conditioning circuit to tap off the LED drives (or however it's done) to provide for either 8 separate gates, or one switchable gate that could be programmed with 8 switches?

Feel free to disregard if you desire. d'oh!

Frank

That wouldn't be terribly difficult. I'd make a pad to connect to, then buffer it before putting it back out. This would require 8 op amps, so two TL074s would do the trick. Those are gates for the full length of the step, so maybe converting that to a trigger-length pulse might be more useful.

That would require a couple resistors a cap, and diode for each gate. So... Simple, but would likely take the rest of the space that I was going to eliminate to shrink the board a bit for other formats. I'll see if there's a good way to cram this in, AND reduce the size a bit. Mr. Green
FrankV
J3RK wrote:
So... Simple, but would likely take the rest of the space that I was going to eliminate to shrink the board a bit for other formats.

Oops! oops Well, don't feel obligated on solely my behalf (I'd buy one either way).

F
J3RK
I threw a prototype together tonight (boards just arrived,) and it works great so far. w00t I need to correct a couple small items (like forgetting pads for one LED,) and I need to scope it to make sure the divider is dividing on the right edges, but it's looking good. Lot's of blinking lights.

I'm going to work on shrinking it slightly, and I think it will be ready to go. I could do a run for this soon, and a simultaneous re-run of the FlopSeq board itself.

I'll grab a quick video of it tomorrow. Taking the bipolar audio output from the XOR, and playing with the clocks is kind of fun. Mr. Green Ring-mod(ish) squares.

Anyway I think this combo could be a lot of fun.
cleaninglady
looking forward to it ! w00t

will it complement the original Flop Seq PCB ?
ringstone
asterisk wrote:

Have you thought about using LED bezels at all? I never liked the black plastic ones, but these days there are some nice metal ones (they are quite large though) and even better, clear plastic ones that push through the panel hole and the LED clips into the back of them.

Cheers
Blair
J3RK
cleaninglady wrote:
looking forward to it ! w00t

will it complement the original Flop Seq PCB ?

Yes. It will be a bit longer, but will have two common mounting holes, and will work quite well with the original board. In fact, the re-issue will be a VERY slightly updated version of the original. I won't be adding anything to it, just some slight tweaks to trace routing, etc. I'll post more details soon.
asterisk
ill have to look into bezels, never tried them.
can you get them from mouser in different sizes or something?

ringstone wrote:
asterisk wrote:

Have you thought about using LED bezels at all? I never liked the black plastic ones, but these days there are some nice metal ones (they are quite large though) and even better, clear plastic ones that push through the panel hole and the LED clips into the back of them.

Cheers
Blair
J3RK
asterisk wrote:

ringstone wrote:
asterisk wrote:

Cheers
Blair

Tayda has plastic and metal ones, and they're priced well. I would check them out. The ones I use for my synth-boxes are Lumex 3mm LEDs that include the bezel and leads (multiple lead lengths are availble.) These are quite easy to use. Just push them in, and wire them. thumbs up

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lumex/SSI-LXH312GD250/?qs=zorda86t 5M%2fJViE3qnLixSJ1TZsZ9xgZdOMS2ddps5E%3d
ringstone
J3RK wrote:
asterisk wrote:

ringstone wrote:
asterisk wrote:

Cheers
Blair

Tayda has plastic and metal ones, and they're priced well. I would check them out. The ones I use for my synth-boxes are Lumex 3mm LEDs that include the bezel and leads (multiple lead lengths are availble.) These are quite easy to use. Just push them in, and wire them. thumbs up

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lumex/SSI-LXH312GD250/?qs=zorda86t 5M%2fJViE3qnLixSJ1TZsZ9xgZdOMS2ddps5E%3d

I quite like these ones too, I buy the clear ones but they are also available in different colours:

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/VCC/SML190CTP/?qs=YfTKvZjIiZzIzIFf5 rHlfNnu15N3Ery6mOvI6WfzNu0%3d

Cheers
Blair
J3RK
Here's a quick video of the companion board running the FlopSeq. It's a simple patch, as I've more or less dismantled my test synth at the moment. d'oh!

The two clocks are run into each input of the XOR circuit. Changing the speeds will tweak the offset, and produce some interesting rhythms. I'm not using the divider here, but you can see the divisions by the LED on the gate-to-trigger circuit. (white light in corner) I'll be giving the divider its own LED, but I accidentally left this off the test board.

When I get a minute, I'll make a quick demo of the audio output from the XOR.

asterisk
ive decided to try and make a FPE panel for my FlopSEQ.
it is 16HP and the PCB would mount parallel to the panel nicely. (i have not included the mounting holes on my design)
check it out and let me know what you all think.
my panel includes separate gate outs for each step.
the mixed gate out on the bottom might be a little unnecessary since the individual gate outs are available. i was thinking of just making that gate out on the bottow a simple clock out (like a mult of the clock in or something)

id be happy to share the FPD file if anyone wants it.....

asterisk
blair,
those bezels look great.
do they just snap in to a standard 3mm hole?
and then the LED snaps in the back?
ill have to try them out.
thanks!

ringstone wrote:
asterisk wrote:

Cheers
Blair
[/quote]

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lumex/SSI-LXH312GD250/?qs=zorda86t 5M%2fJViE3qnLixSJ1TZsZ9xgZdOMS2ddps5E%3d[/quote]

I quite like these ones too, I buy the clear ones but they are also available in different colours:

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/VCC/SML190CTP/?qs=YfTKvZjIiZzIzIFf5 rHlfNnu15N3Ery6mOvI6WfzNu0%3d

Cheers
Blair[/quote]
ringstone
asterisk wrote:
blair,
those bezels look great.
do they just snap in to a standard 3mm hole?
and then the LED snaps in the back?
ill have to try them out.
thanks!

Hi mate

You need a hole a bit larger than 3mm (around 5mm?). Actually Clarke would know the exact size, he uses these on his panels... they will go in if the hole is a bit smaller, but then it's very hard to get the led in.

They snap into the hole, then the led snaps in the back. There seems to be a little bit of tolerance with different makes of 3mm leds but not had any issues yet.

Cheers
Blair
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 5 of 10