MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FlopSeq Sequencer Board [Updates]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 [all]
Author FlopSeq Sequencer Board [Updates]
J3RK
That should be possible actually. (though I haven't tested it) Not only that, but 470R is actually a little low in many cases (depending on LED.) You could likely use a single 1K or 2.2K instead.
CJ Miller
Hey, Dustin - I haven't been following all of this over the months, but I am curious. When you made the initial run of FlopSeq boards, you said that your initial idea was more involved, and that the PCBs were a more stripped-down, basic version. With possibly an expander happening later. How do your current FlopSeq activities relate to this? Are these more like your original concept, or has the project gone in other directions since then?
J3RK
The new Ultraflop version is more or less what I originally had in mind. Internal and external clocking was the main thing. The individual gate outputs were added more on a recommendation from users than the original idea.

I've also thought about an 8 stage shift register that could be co-clocked with it, but other than laying out a schematic and simulation for that, haven't really gone any further with it.

Yet another thing was to have a sub-sequence of sorts for each main step, but obviously doing something like that using CMOS chips like I am now would get a little out of hand PCB-wise. (not to mention panel... Dead Banana ) That might be something that I'll try when I start working with FPGA/CPLD in the nearish future though.

I think the current version is more or less the way this one will stay. (though I'd love to do new sequencer designs in the future) Something big and complex without the need for menus, weird button combinations, paging back and forth, etc. The only problem there is how expensive all of the panel space and controls gets...
iopop
J3RK wrote:
That should be possible actually. (though I haven't tested it) Not only that, but 470R is actually a little low in many cases (depending on LED.) You could likely use a single 1K or 2.2K instead.

Thank you for sanity checking. Will surely use a 1k or 1.8k instead. There's still some PCBs a head of this one - but I'll report back when done.
J3RK
BTW: The Ultraflop boards have just been (finally) shipped out today to Synthcube. I've sent the build docs over, and if I'm not mistaken, Clarke is working on a Euro panel right now.

w00t
synthcube
AVAILABLE

the PCBs are now in stock:
http://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2 78

the clarke68 euro panel is being designed and is expected to be available in January

Full kits will also be available around that time

thanks again j3rk for a great module!
J3RK
I'm just double checking the BOM for this now, and will have it to Synthcube and posted here shortly. (in the next 30 minutes or so)
ws9848
where can I get the new BOM for this?
J3RK
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99252

w00t

Other build docs to be added to that thread shortly.
ws9848
oh thanks!
batchas
batchas wrote:
I realize that I misunderstood the post about rotary switch, overflying the thread. I thought it was setting the number of steps.

J3RK wrote:
There is not however, a way to change the number of steps. (that I'm currently aware of anyway)

Now I know it doesn't.

But I see reset pins on the CD4013...
I was wondering if anybody at this stage of the project did find a way to reset the seq at any wished step, having a rotary switch with 8 pos for instance to define at which point the seq would reset/loop: don't we know at which step the seq currently is at a given moment via CD4051BC (or CD4028/29?)?

I built the flopSeq (first run as mentioned here in the quoted text). I'll make a panel but first I wanted to tell you that I did found a way to set the number of steps and reset via rotary switch and to share the solution with you.
Now I need to find the rotary switch with 8 pos and add it to the circuit.

I reset the seq via pin1 of CD4029:

because it reacts better than using reset-pin4 or reset-pin10 of 4013:

There is a small issue which I (we) will have to live with at the moment and, if I (we?) don't find a solution, I'll mount last step as step1 on the panel as the seq restarts from step8 instead of step1. Which also means that the minimum number of steps in a loop is 2 (shorter seq possible: 2 steps).

The issue explained:
Reset on = sequence
led1/step1 = 8-1
led2/step2 = 8-1
led3/step3 = 8-1-2
led4/step4 = 8-1-2-3
led5/step5 = 8-1-2-3-
led6/tep6 = 8-1-2-3-4-5
led7/step7 = 8-1-2-3-4-5-6
led8/step8 = 8-1-2-3-4-5-6-7

How I will do when I get the rotary switch:
I'll take the + pole of each LED (the pulse which I'll also use for single switchable pulse out) and connect it to one input of a 1 pole / 8 pos rotary switch (let's pretend SW1 has 8 switchable inputs, 8 pos, not only 1 as shown on my schema).
LED8 to switch input/pos1, LED1 to switch input/pos2 and so on and the switch single pole (the output, the right side of SW1 on my schema) to the circuit I show here.

I tried first with pulse direct to pin1 combined with pin1 to resistor to ground, but it didn't work. So I decided to use a 2N3904 as switch.
Maybe you'll find another way and a solution for the reset to step1 issue.
J3RK
Nice work! w00t
batchas
J3RK wrote:
Nice work! w00t

Thanx!
I had a lot of fun testing the logic chips. Infinite possibilities!

Using pin2 of CD4029 the same way like described for pin1 to restart the seq at a desired point would make the seq jump the pulsed step. You could imagine 8 on/off switches to simply activate/deactivate single pulses as we saw earlier in the thread (picked from the LED + poles), but also have 8 more on/off switches to jump steps via pin2...
Not sure we can simply split 1 signal (the LED signal) to 3 different destinations (reset, activate/deactivate single pulses, jump steps) witohut other add on the circuit, but I thought I'd share the info here too.
batchas
A question:
Too complicated to explain why, but I'll share when the project is finished.
If I want to double the number of LEDs (not doubling the number of steps, only LED 1 having a copy, LED 2 as well and so on), is it OK if I just wire each new LED to its double? If I do so and leave all LED resistors unchanged, I only have all LEDs with less (half?) luminosity than before, is that right?
And if I'd want the same luminosity, I'd half the resistance on the LED's resistor, right?
iopop
Finished mine, just wanted to confirm that I used only 1 1k8 resistor as per the mfos schematics and it turned out working.
fivesteppath
Selling my 2 populated boards.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214419
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 [all]
Page 10 of 10