MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Official IMP Info here
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author Official IMP Info here
computer controlled
Just received this from Kevin. Its all the info for the IMP.

Current Status:
En Route to Sweden right now. Kevin has kept 15 of them for domestic sale, but you MUST go through EFN for the sale. This will save you on exorbitant overseas shipping costs and long wait times. Ulf will let Kevin know the shipping details, and he will send them out to you.

Features:
IMP:
• Domains (frequency range groups)
o 2 banks (high and low) of 4 switch-selected frequency ranges
• Frequency adjustment
o Coarse and Fine
• Fine scaling adjustment (relative to Coarse)
o 5:1 to 25:1
• Range adjustment (range of frequency variance within domain)
o Coarse and Fine
• Fine scaling adjustment (relative to Coarse)
o 5:1 to 25:1
• “Tone” control
o Variable between low-pass and all-pass (Adjustment also varies phase interaction)
• Control Voltage (CV) inputs
o Frequency: 0 to +5V
o Range: 0 to +5V
o Width: 0 to +5V

IMP description:
Domain, Frequency, Range and Width: Technically, all four describe the same Function: what frequency the Imp puts out. The total possible range of the Imp, however, is from sonic to ultrasonic, and accessed in different ways requiring multiple controls for fine-tuning.

High-Low Toggle switch: Selects one of two banks for the Domain switch to select from. The High bank is the same as the standard INM, while the Low bank has lower frequency ranges than possible with the INM. The descriptions below were written with only the original High bank in mind.

Domain: The first stage of frequency selection. Domain selects one of four wide bands of the overall range. Four Domain is lowest, One is highest (in frequency). Four is audio, One is nearly ultrasonic. The One Domain is where you will find the oddest/most ethereal Noises: static, wind, the impression of voices. It has a lot of what seem to be dead spots, but it is worth the time to wander the Domain and see what can be found.

Frequency: This is the main frequency control within the selected Domain - it sweeps over the entire Domain (depending on Range, see following). The Fine control sweeps up to 1/5 of the size of the band that Coarse does.

Range: This controls how wide of a sweep Frequency covers. Fine control same as with Frequency.

Width: This one is a bit more esoteric: it controls the “width” of the band of the current domain that the Fine controls cover, hence the “up to 1/5”. In Domain 1, wide open is best. In Domain 1 the bands of sound are very narrow, so it is best to set the width all the way down to find the hidden sweet spots.
In other words, a quarter of the possible frequency range is selected by Domain, and the other controls select how much of that Domain the frequency control can sweep across. The Coarse knob is for a broad sweep over the Domain, and the Fine knob is for finding the perfect “sweet spot”.

Tone: The high-frequency content from the IMP can be somewhat painful at some of the higher settings, so a variable low-pass filter is included. It can also provide some interesting timbre variations.
HeWhoWantsJeans
Also, the IMP is 14 HP.

Plan space accordingly, folks. SlayerBadger!
mantiwhore
nrdvrgr
HELL YES! This will be fun...
apfEID
Any idea which side is -12v? there's a keyed header, am I to trust that red is negative?
Kakihara
is it gonna be for sale at AH?
computer controlled
mantiwhore wrote:

HA!

thumbs up
computer controlled
mantiwhore wrote:

HA!

thumbs up
computer controlled
apfEID wrote:
Any idea which side is -12v? there's a keyed header, am I to trust that red is negative?

Just for future reference...

The power header on the IMP is keyed in the proper orientation. Red is in fact -12v. I confirmed this via PM with apfIED, but i just wanted to make it public to avoid any confusion someone might have.
computer controlled
Kakihara wrote:
is it gonna be for sale at AH?

No. Stateside orders will go through Ulf at EFN and be shipped direct via Kevin here in Seattle. Anywhere else, you'll have to go through EFN, who will handle the entire transaction.

*edit*
Seeing as you're in Canadia, you'll probably have to do option 1.
lilakmonoke
the IMP has just landed in berlin. im currently trying to figure out this unit. is there a simple description as to whats going in inside? im hearing two saws at an interval but i can change the freq on only one. the other one is a constant drone. meant to be that way?

BTW ... @computercontrolled: thats a humpin acid mix there in your sig. ah, the power of the 303!
computer controlled
The idea behind the IMP is to play with the interaction between the two oscillators. There are multiple sweet spots for you to find and exploit. So yes, that is the way the unit behaves. Mine is like that as well. Just beware that this isn't a standard VCO. Its not meant for tonal sounds, seeing as its dad is the Infernal Noise Machine =o] Experimentation is the key.

Glad you like the mix =o]
lilakmonoke
what i dont get: there is six dials and 4 cvs that change the interval between the two oscillators. but there is no way to control the base drone other than with the switches. that means you are stuck with one base frequency and have no way of tuning the damn thing. or am i missing something?
HeWhoWantsJeans
lilakmonoke wrote:
what i dont get: there is six dials and 4 cvs that change the interval between the two oscillators. but there is no way to control the base drone other than with the switches. that means you are stuck with one base frequency and have no way of tuning the damn thing. or am i missing something?

I believe you are - though the IMP is by no means a simple thing, so if I am incorrect in my ramblings I'd love for someone to correct me.

The Domain sets the overall frequency range for the IMP to generate within while the Frequency knobs (Course / Fine and the Frequency CV input) set the base frequency for the oscillator.

For a better understanding of the IMP, check out the manual for the IMP.
JJ
I'm getting all kinds of cool metallic tones from my IMP atm.

I'm sending audio rate stuff trough AD triggered VCAs into the left freq. and right width. There's a shitton of different textures available, specially when I put attenuators on the CV inputs.

cool module. thumbs up

no recording tonight thou, maybe tomorrow.
HeWhoWantsJeans
JJ wrote:
I'm getting all kinds of cool metallic tones from my IMP atm.

I'm sending audio rate stuff trough AD triggered VCAs into the left freq. and right width. There's a shitton of different textures available, specially when I put attenuators on the CV inputs.

cool module. thumbs up

no recording tonight thou, maybe tomorrow.

Yeah - the 'Sweet Spots' are just fucking amazing. Pretty soon I'll have a very nice sequencer rig added to the setup and I'm very eager to have some more options to dial in some sweet sounds.

If I find my damn tripod and get some holiday shit out of the way, I'd love to do more videos. And since I think the IMP could use a good technical demonstration - I'd like to encourage people to let me know what they'd like to see demonstrated or explained. I'll do my best to make it filling for everyone.
computer controlled
I haven't hit it with any audio rate stuff yet. But def plan on it soon.
JJ
posted a IMP soundcloud demo here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=653371#653371
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 1