MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for a PPG/Microwave sound-a-like filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Looking for a PPG/Microwave sound-a-like filter
Esnan
Hi all,

I have had a Wadorf Microwave mk 1 rev. A for may years and always loved its filter 24db LPF, which is supposedly a CEM 3389 chip.

The sound is loud but still clear and exact. The resonance is screaming and its very easy to get the filter into selfoscillation. It can also get very acidic and bubbly, in a precise and not overdriven way.

Now I'm started to look for a similar filter in Euro-land.

I have experience from the Doepfer A-120 (w/ the overdrive mod.), the QMMG and the Plan B M13 Dual Timbral Gates, but none of these come close to the MW filter in terms of sound. The M13 has a somewhat similar response, but it's 6db and have no resonance of course.

Does anyone have a suggestion to a filter similar to the MW one?

Thanks,
Jacob
e-grad
To my best knowledge up to series # 94 it's CEM3389 higher ## have a CEM3387.

I think, you should give the CEM based filter a try, eg: A107 Morph Filter; A109 Sign. Proc.; A122 LPF, A106-6 XP-Filter.
ndkent
I don't have either the A-109 or the Microwave but it has a CEM3379 which is likely the closest to the Waldorf chip.

The PPG 2.0 used a CEM3320 which I believe is in the A-122. Then strangely PPG changed to SSM when some other companies were changing to CEM from SSM. So the Wave 2.2 and 2.3 contain the SSM2044 which you can find in the A-105.

While the A-106-6 and A-107 contain CEM filters, they are rather different though the choice for a lot of multimode options and the Oberheim Xpander sound.
Norman_Phay
I'd certainly give the A105 2044 filter a try, it's a very nice piece which will get you closer to the PPG filter sound than any of the pieces you list as having bought.
haven
I actually sold my Microwave 1 (rev 2, high serial #) because I did not like the filters. I have had a A109 - great, a little big, and now have a A106-6 wich I love and use a lot.

I am not sure if they're similar since I cannot AB with the now gone Microwave, but the A106-6 definitely seems to have a different resonance in 4 pole mode.

Gain staging could be a part of the tone being different as well, but I dont find the A106-6 or A109 (both CEM3379) to have the annoying (to me) nasal quality my old MicroWave had. The tone and resonance of the modular versions can change based on input level, where I found on the Microwave there was very little control of input level - just 7 steps for oscillator output which clipped in that crazy aliasing way.

I am not sure how much different various CEM chips sound, nor how the variable input levels on the modular version could match the input level on the Microwave.

Not sure if that helps - good luck!
Mr White
haven wrote:
I actually sold my Microwave 1 (rev 2, high serial #) because I did not like the filters. I have had a A109 - great, a little big, and now have a A106-6 wich I love and use a lot.

I am not sure if they're similar since I cannot AB with the now gone Microwave, but the A106-6 definitely seems to have a different resonance in 4 pole mode.

Gain staging could be a part of the tone being different as well, but I dont find the A106-6 or A109 (both CEM3379) to have the annoying (to me) nasal quality my old MicroWave had. The tone and resonance of the modular versions can change based on input level, where I found on the Microwave there was very little control of input level - just 7 steps for oscillator output which clipped in that crazy aliasing way.

I am not sure how much different various CEM chips sound, nor how the variable input levels on the modular version could match the input level on the Microwave.

Not sure if that helps - good luck!

I actually sold my MW1 :( to go ahead with my modular bug and I definitely miss its filter... d'oh!
mine was a cem3389, smooth and straight, brilliant at high freq and wobbling at low ones, killer on raw waveforms!
I think the nasal tone you pointed out comes from waves aliasing, some wavetables have it much more pronounced than others...

anyway I found hyper a similar filter in the unexpected A122 (those new with 3379), specially in the low freq mid resonance is quite the same sound...

esnan wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion to a filter similar to the MW one?

doepfer A122
Esnan
Wow, these are really good tips, I'll definitely check A-106-6, A-122 and A-105 out.

Thanks for the help everyone.

And yes, Mr White, I'm in the exactly same situation here: The MW is just gathering dust now that I got the modular bug. The MW is the last of the greatest, international 19"-rack synths.

/Jacob
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1