MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Korg Entrancer - any good?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Korg Entrancer - any good?
darenager
Seen a few demo's on youtube, but does not really give much info/capability as I don't know the source material, so anyone here use one?

Any good, and what sort of price is realistic - thinking around £400-500?

Cheers thumbs up
Matos
I've been looking at it to, but surprisingly there's little info on this critter. Looks like a great addition to feed or process. Hopefully someone here has one.
revmutt
Its cool but kind of lo-fi.
nickciontea
johnny had one and sold it to scott i think.

seems to be an awesome tool for quick goto footage and effects.
attacksustain
When I saw meat beat manifesto live, they had at least two of these (and some of the other out-of-production korg gear, like the kross four)

Some of the effects seem kind of cheesy (to me) but I guess you could always mangle them further with other devices.
i.m.klif
i have one and use it a lot. most of effects are crap rave type of fx and they are what looks like 320x240, but on the other hand delay fx are very good with excelent control (and with good resoultion) ... I'd say there are around 20-30 usable fx in there. the rest might be usable in glitch/noise sets, where the original estethics of the effect gets lost somehow.

one older video with it here

http://vimeo.com/4543494

vertical delay stuff from 0,29 + some subtle stutter later on are from entrancer
darenager
Crap rave fx, dated, lo-fi - sounds just what I'm looking for hihi

Thanks I'm getting one!
Matos
darenager wrote:

Thanks I'm getting one!

Ha! I'm with you on that one. I think I might grab one, but If señor Johnny or rev wants to share their epic experiences with us I'd be thrilled.
Matos
i.m.klif
Thanks for the video link. Really loving the wobulator work. Is that something you made? Do you have any schematics or resources you can share? Cause that is pretty lush stuff my friend.
puzzlebox
I used to have one of these and I used it a lot, I sold it because I wasn't doing video anymore.
This thing is ULTRA FUN! but seriously, 400-500 (Pounds... how do you make that symbol?) is too much (my opinion).
I sold mine to another wiggler for a lot less than that and I think it was a fair trade
but, like I said it's extremely good at what it does... actually, I don't really think anything else does this sort of thing??
puzzlebox
oh yeah, and it is AWESOME for video feedback
johnnywoods
agree with everything said so far.

i found it most useful for feedback effects. It really destroys your input signal (and not in a cool way), which is too bad, because it could be great otherwise.
The sampler hasnt been mentioned yet, but it's pretty fantastic. If they had made a smaller, simpler device that was just the performance sampler, I probably would still use that.

Either way, I used it as a regular part of my live setup for about 5 years, so it does have some good to it.
Matos
Cool, thanks for the input. I think I'll just go the software route for those kind of effects. I bought an old livid controller off the bay that come with union so I'll explore that and see how if integrates.
bitSmasher
darenager wrote:

Thanks I'm getting one!
Yep, those features sold me too...
What I'm trying to acheive is very effects-based, and totally shredding the original input is intentional.

Taking something basic like a live video feed of people dancing/dj moving, smashing it through the KPE with a wacky effect then mixing that over other video - simple, easy, and can be very effective.
Subtle isn't its thing, but it's a whole lot of fun and can be a great addition to a hardware setup. I'm looking forward to exploring MIDI control, but for now I just want to install a hard switch on the Pad Motion trigger (I use gaffer tape for now) - it's great for giving the effect dynamics.
darenager
puzzlebox wrote:

This thing is ULTRA FUN! but seriously, 400-500 (Pounds... how do you make that symbol?) is too much (my opinion).

Just based on what they have been selling for on ebay UK, don't think there are many of them over here.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm not looking for ultra clean, basically using some lo-fi stuff from Gieskes and an old Panasonic AVE5, rave type visuals and old console game vibes are what I'm interested in, I make acid innit lol
bitSmasher
Good plan, KPE is a perfect match for things like Gij's products - my aesthetic ideal is similar... glitched video games on acid. With acid too = Mr. Green

And yeah, they're not cheap - definitely not many on the market but still strong demand (from glitch loving video geeks), hence the high price. The Kaptivator sampler goes for silly money, as much as I'd love one I couldn't justify the cost. Shame really, wish there were more fun video hardware things out there.
Matos
Me too.. The prices were originally bananas so they have gone down. I've given up on a kaptivator but the entrancer may still happen. I wish they did a monotron line for video.
johnnywoods
Matos wrote:
Me too.. The prices were originally bananas so they have gone down. I've given up on a kaptivator but the entrancer may still happen. I wish they did a monotron line for video.

a video monotron would be It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!

don't give up on the kaptivator! it's the greatest piece of non-modular video gear I've ever had. They are tough to find, but if one shows up, they are not very high in demand, and you can get a good deal.
Also, keep an eye out for the edirol p-10. It's a similar, but not quite as deep, design.
bitSmasher
I'd love a P10 too but they're way overpriced for such simplistic functions.
Am leaning towards an iPad for any basic clip playing but that's still a "computer" cry

VideoTron, now there's an idea.
kjellb
I used the Entrancer for some gigs, but I find it quite limited. The modular world is so much wider.
legionhwp
I use a KPE for video manipulation and cut up in live shows. So far mostly experimental or industrial type sets. I provide visuals for other DJs between sets as well as accompanying bands or my own music live.

The oscilloscope type patterns are cool for noise type music although it can be kind of a one trick pony. The most useful things I've discovered are the looping and sampling video features (presets 95 and up) which allow for layering a loop over what is playing and doing a kind of scratching video type thing. With interesting source material this can be very effective and something you can do a few times without an audience losing interest. Outside of the pad itself the realtime freeze and output mix and audio gain can be used to great effect.

One thing I've found is the effects can be a bit sensitive to input to trigger. In this thread people have talked about running video games or DIY video stuff into the KPE. I've run things like a bit vision or critteri into the composite in and it shows up from the KPE output but the KPE does not engage it's effects. I assume it passes the signal but doesn't really see or read it. Something like a DVD player always works fine. I've yet to figure out how to get an old atari or circuit bent sega into it though.

Another useful feature of the KPE is that it has two switchable inputs so you can either blank the output screen by switching to an empty one of use it as an A/B video select.

The used price of KPE today is still much less than it's original street price. It's the only hardware box I know of that does what it does and it's well built and compact so it's perfect for gigs. MUCH more robust and far less headache than a laptop certainly. The fact that it has audio processing and combo patterns as well as memories also puts it in a unique class. I don't use all it's features (some are VERY annoying) but the ones I do use work well for what I and the gigs need.
Matos
legionhwp
Great info, best I've read so far. Thanks for the valuable insight. It's a shame video seems to be abandoned by many manufacturers.
darenager
Mine turned up today, only had a quick play with it but pretty much exactly what I'd hoped - great for trippy visuals, does not look too lo-fi on some things compared to what I was expecting, but combined with my other gear and possibly with the addition of a few other pieces my experimental trippy AV lab is under way lol
tIB
lavalamptastic!
lizlarsen
Quote:
I've run things like a bit vision or critteri into the composite in and it shows up from the KPE output but the KPE does not engage it's effects. I assume it passes the signal but doesn't really see or read it. Something like a DVD player always works fine. I've yet to figure out how to get an old atari or circuit bent sega into it though.

This probably has to do with the fact that these devices do not output interlaced video, but instead a 60Hz Progressive video. Most NTSC devices will be fine with them, but some won't. Creating the timing for interlaced video is technically more complex than doing it this way, which is beyond the scope of these simpler devices.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2