MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alyseum MS-812
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Alyseum Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Alyseum MS-812
JJ

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
mark_snipz
applause
taniel
Wow. Do I understand right that the LAN cable is directly connected to the Mac/PC and no other device is needed to run the Alyseum MS-812 as a MIDI to CV interface?
jln
@taniel

Correct. Datas are transmitted thru LAN as CopperLan format. One just need the (free) CopperLan software on the computer.

You may find some interesting info in this thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39549

I have yet to buy this module but imho Copperlan is very interesting.
JJ
I have one in the mail... Can't wait!

I will try to post videos as soon as I get it.

A perfect module for interfacing Five12 Numerology and the modular as I see it. CopperLan is just awesome, been using it for a few months now. Love it!
Veqtor
So, how can we use it in copperlan mode?

I mean, are there vst's or AU's that can interact directly w. it?
JJ
Veqtor wrote:
So, how can we use it in copperlan mode?

I mean, are there vst's or AU's that can interact directly w. it?

It shows up as a MIDI device in the CopperLan network + You can access its settings, preset management, voice controls, Pitch & Velocity controls, DigiJack Control (gate/trig/comparator/clock/pulse/toggle etc) etc in CopperLan Managers Editor (You can access this from your Mac/PC/iPad).

You can actually try it right now as there is the free MS-812 emulator exe (Win only) file available that accurately emulates the module. (Download here). CopperLan Manager is free. Just start the exe and it will show up in the CopperLan network just like the real module would!

The MS-812 shows up as a device in the CopperLan network, you can then send whatever MIDI channel to it and then select which of the CV/Digi outs corresponds to what MIDI Note CC and whatnot (Clock etc). Very very sexy.

Then just select it as your output in your DAW and rock.

I will try to post videos about all this as soon as I get my module and have some spare time!
JJ
The Eagle has landed.

Will report more.. setting up a lan box now.
JJ

A bit short on LAN cables, so running Numerology via WiFi, but here's the first test patch using the Alyseum MS_812 module.

The Alyseum build is really really high quality.

Now I need more VCAs d'oh! Mr. Green
withakay
As I just said in another thread, this really needs a plugin suite like Silent Way so we can escape the 7bit limitations of MIDI
Oldstench
CopperLAN has me very, very excited. I hope this takes off and replaces MIDI at some point. I also hope that someone starts retrofitting synths with CopperLAN ports.
miminashi
JJ wrote:
Will report more.. setting up a lan box now.

What's the jitter and latency like on that sucker? I have an ES-3 which I love for a number of reasons, not least of which is its total lack of jitter. I've been eying Alyseum's MIDI interfaces to use as a reliable MIDI clock output, and I figure that if the jitter is low on the CV interface the performance is probably similar on their MIDI devices.
Why Adapter
Oldstench wrote:
. . . hope that someone starts retrofitting synths with CopperLAN ports.

Easy enough: just install the Alyseum ALeX between the MIDI jacks and the UART
JJ
miminashi wrote:
What's the jitter and latency like on that sucker? I have an ES-3 which I love for a number of reasons, not least of which is its total lack of jitter. I've been eying Alyseum's MIDI interfaces to use as a reliable MIDI clock output, and I figure that if the jitter is low on the CV interface the performance is probably similar on their MIDI devices.

I'd say "none" and "depends". You can notice some small glitches if using a overly busy WiFi I'm sure, but with a dedicated gigabit Lan I'm sure it's very transparent and reliable. Maybe someone else can answer with technical data?
AlyseumSupport
miminashi wrote:

Here are some actual measurements regarding the latency of the MS-812.

Setup
Fully hardware setup (no computer involved).
Copperduino dev board generating a clock signal
MS-812 issuing the clock pulse on Digi1 output.
Direct Ethernet connection between the two boards.

Results
The rising edge of the green pulse is when the message is created on the sender. (the duration does not reflect the entire sending time !)
The rising edge of the yellow pulse is the actual signal on the MS-812's jack.
The scale is 100uSec/div.

Explanation
The transmission time on the network is just a few uSec. Hey, it's 100Mbit !
It means that around half of the total time is about creating and routing the message, and the other half about receiving it.
So once the message is electrically out on the sender side it takes around 350uSec to become a pulse on the MS-812 output.

The jitter is under the 100uSec and, in this setup, could depend on the sender.

Of course, when the sender is a quad-core computer at 3GHz instead of an 80MHz processor as in these hardware boards, the timings melt like snow in the sun 8_)
Between two high-end computers with Gigabit Ethernet we can exchange above 50,000 CopperLan messages per second. That averages to one message every 20uSec from application to application.

MIDI via CopperLan
The timings for AL-22 and AL-88 are similar to those of the MS-812 since they are based on a similar processing model.
In the small pic you can see an AL-22 as the receiver.

Hope you'll like the results.

Andy
miminashi
Nice, thanks for the info, JJ and Andy. I think I see some Alyseum in my future. w00t Didn't mean to jack the thread, though... on with the show!
asterisk
andy,
i have a few questions. im very interested in the eurorack version of this module.

1) i saw that the ms-812 is sold out on your site. will you be making more of them?

2) is there a manual for the ms-812 euro module and could you provide a link? i couldnt find it on your site.

3) any chance of making a demo video using the ms-812 in copperlan mode sending data from a computer to the module (NO MIDI please!). im curious to see the software end of it, how that works and how to use it at its highest resolution. it doesnt seem right to use this module with the limited resolution of MIDI.

thanks!
Junk Rhythm
AlyseumSupport Will the MS-812 be distributed through Analogue Haven in the US? I also would love to see some more video demos of this module in use.
AlyseumSupport
asterisk wrote:

1) i saw that the ms-812 is sold out on your site. will you be making more of them?

The pre-commercial batch was just a few pieces for validation purposes (we didn't want to end up with stacks of faulty products!) d'oh! very frustrating
Since they're OK 8_) , the first commercial batch should be ready for shipment the 14th of December.

Sales in Europe are done through Schneider
For the rest of the world, sales are direct from Alyseum's website.
More distribution channels should be set up after the NAMM show in January.

You can reserve your MS-812 by sending us an email (no deposit required).
We could then reply to you when it's ready. First come first served.

Quote:
2) is there a manual for the ms-812 euro module and could you provide a link? i couldnt find it on your site.

Here is the Downloads page.

Quote:
3) any chance of making a demo video using the ms-812 in copperlan mode sending data from a computer to the module (NO MIDI please!). im curious to see the software end of it, how that works and how to use it at its highest resolution. it doesnt seem right to use this module with the limited resolution of MIDI.

You're right.
It is deliberately that we didn't communicate about controlling the MS-812 in high-res from existing environments, cos we have big news in the pipe. meh
We are right now busy with something that answers your request.
You'll hear about it in the next days.
As for a video, I'm sure it won't be long after this will be revealed thumbs up
Thank you for your patience and interest.

Andy
asterisk
thanks for the answers andy!

can you post the forthcoming news in this thread?
or shall we just check your site?

im very interested in a max/msp object to directly control the ms-812 in copperlan mode. seems ideal to me!
Junk Rhythm
asterisk wrote:
im very interested in a max/msp object to directly control the ms-812 in copperlan mode. seems ideal to me!

+1 for the same interest.
AlyseumSupport
With most of the interest for the MS-812 being at Muff's, I'll post the info here.

Till then, Guinness ftw!
AlyseumSupport
Hi,

There's a big update about the MS-812 on Muff's Wiki.

We've added new features in the product.

There is now a dedicated section for Drum triggering.
Differences compared to using a "normal" Mono or Poly section:
* It ignores the release velocity (which is an undesired feature with drums)
* It maps up to a complete octave in one go (set from C1 to C8)
* In addition to the individual velocity per drum, there is a unified velocity signal used for global accent. This avoids having to map several CV jacks for velocity when it is not essential.

There is also a Direct Jack Control section.
It allows bypassing all of the "musical" processing for controlling the jacks from dedicated messages. More about the control side very soon.

The block diagram in the Wiki is also updated to reflect these additions.

The MS-812 Emulator will be updated this week.
Junk Rhythm
AlyseumSupport wrote:
The MS-812 Emulator will be updated this week.

Is there an emulator coming for OS X so we can test before buying.
AlyseumSupport
Junk Rhythm wrote:
Is there an emulator coming for OS X so we can test before buying.

Yes, it is in the pipe.
Thank you for you patience.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Alyseum Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3