MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[BUILD] - CGS Euro Modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next [all]
Author [BUILD] - CGS Euro Modules

RealDudes

Can we see a pick of the completed backside of one of these beauties? they look SlayerBadger!

jenamu6

SMS303 wrote:
jenamu6 wrote:
Could these panels and designs be easily bananafied?

That should be possible, imo ....

Jean will you build them or ..... ???
If you're not...
I'm still busy with 2 Best of CGS BOG's & MARSH...
I can put them in my backlog if you pay enough razz Mr. Green

Paying you to screw up components and a PCB?

Me thinks.....NO!!!

SMS303

jenamu6 wrote:
Me thinks.....NO!!!

d'oh! hmmm..... !LOL! Mr. Green
In Casper we TRUST! SlayerBadger!

clarke68

RealDudes wrote:
Can we see a pick of the completed backside of one of these beauties? they look SlayerBadger!

I just updated the "PCB Mounting" post on the first page with these (and a few other) photos:

That's as far as I've gotten in my builds. At this point, I expect some of the other guys will have boards populated and modules screaming before I do...keep your eye on this thead!

RealDudes

they look like architecture models
we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy

clarke68

jenamu6 wrote:
Could these panels and designs be easily bananafied?

Depends what you consider easy. The jack holes are all sized for 3.5mm jacks...about 6mm. The banana jacks I've used require about 8mm, so you'd have to drill out all the jack holes. Not too bad a job if you're fairly comfortable with a drill.

Beyond that, I think there might be one place in all of these panels where I assumed a normalized connection would be implemented...may have been in the Funky Drummer, I can't remember.

apfEID

these are beautiful, I hope I find time to start doing some DIY next year...

Monobass

man I can't wait to start mine...

did you post the details of what knobs you used somewhere?

scozbor

yes these panels have barged in and jumped my DIY queu!

negativspace

Monobass wrote:

Part #s from Jameco are listed in the other thread. thumbs up

I'm going to try some black aluminum ones from Mouser, they had one line that worked for all 3 sizes and wasn't stupidly expensive - I hope they don't suck.

clarke68

Monobass wrote:

They're in the first post of this thread, too, but I'm happy to repeat:

My knobs are from Jameco. Obviously you can use any knobs you want, but it will help if you get the size close. Sizes and Jameco part #s are:

small - 0.55" - 136241
medium - 19.8mm - 264990
large (on MSU only) - 33.3mm - 264946

falafelbiels

SMS303 wrote:
jenamu6 wrote:
Me thinks.....NO!!!

d'oh! hmmm..... !LOL! Mr. Green
In Casper we TRUST! SlayerBadger!

eek!

clarke68

I went through Ken's site and did a quick search for everything written about building these PCBs for use with +/- 12v. If you find (or know of) any other 12v mods, please post it and I'll keep this list updated.

CGS29 - Wave Multipliers
While untested, the module should work on +/-12 volts.

CGS77 - Serge 1973 VCF
Will run on +/- 12 volts or +/-15 volts.

CGS35 - Steiner VCF
Version 1.3 can be built as shown on the overlay of the PCB ... For use with +/-12 volt supplies, the two diodes marked with rings around their pads on the overlay should be replaced with links.

CGS114 - DUSG / CGS75 - VCS
Will run on +/- 12 volts or +/-15 volts.

CGS48 - VCO
The module will work on +/-12 volts if the 20k resistor connected to pin 3 of the LM311 is reduced to 14k.

CGS13 - Gated Comparator
Resistors RA and RB form the voltage divider that determines the gate output voltage. Use 1k for RB. When running off +/-15 volts use 1k8 for RA. When running off +/-12 volts, use RA = 1k5.

CGS31 - Digital Noise
While untested, the module should work on +/-12 volts.

CGS36 - Pulse Divider/Boolean Logic
VER1.3 PCBs have the upper part of the output dividers marked as RA on the PCB. These resistors are 1k8 for +/-15V operation and 1k5 for +/-12 volt operation. Likewise the two 1k8 resistors in the inverters should be 1k5 for 12 volt operation. The two 1k5 resistors in the OR and AND gates could probably be increased to 1k8 for 15 volt operation. Check your output voltages when you have assembled them. Ideally the voltages will swing between 0 volts and +5 volts. Some small variance either way is nothing to be concerned about.

simfonik

Based on the rear panel image for the MSU, it looks like I need the following potentiometers:

(10x) 313-1000F-100K
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/RV16AF-10-15R1-B100K/  ?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuarXojuOTsc9jR33G5hGO%252bcj2YiaooI6I%3d

(1x) 313-1000F-1K
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/RV16AF-10-15R1-B1K/?q s=sGAEpiMZZMuarXojuOTsc7XUj8Kk%2f1Ts8uwZ%252baquuNs%3d

(1x) 313-1000F-1M
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/RV16AF-10-15R1-B1M/?q s=sGAEpiMZZMuarXojuOTsc7XUj8Kk%2f1TscFmzyHqZdKI%3d

(1x) 313-1000F-20K
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/RV16AF-10-15R1-B20K/? qs=sGAEpiMZZMuarXojuOTsc3UoKTY4nCEoKqEqi3d3N6w%3d

(1x) 50k log .... can't seem to find this at Mouser or Jameco.

Does that look right? Any idea on the 50k log pot? dizzy

negativspace

50k logs @ Mouser - 313-1500f-50k

simfonik

negativspace wrote:
50k logs @ Mouser - 313-1500f-50k

w00t Thanks!

bkbirge

Can't wait to get started on a funky drummer and mini synth. Anyone got one of those shareable mouser project BOM's going yet? If not I'll see about putting a couple together, they make ordering (after the first time) so much easier.

Tall Midget

Hey Brian, I already posted one in the other thread, it's just an Excel spreadsheet but it works with mousers BOM import tool. It needs some work described below to it but it's mostly complete. The only things missing AFAIK are the 22k (25k) trimmer for the Serge Voltage Controlled Filter and the 22k-25k trim for the CGS VCO. I'm not even sure if the other trim-pots I specified are still in stock. That's all that's keeping me from starting the project are the trim-pots. I'm not sure if I made the changes for 12 volt operation listed above either. If someone were to make it a complete BOM that'd be really neat.

Tall Midget wrote:
I didn't include the knobs or jacks, too tired to add them or count them now but most of the parts are there I think. Potentiometers are Mouser Part #'s but I would order them from somewhere else other than mouser to save money. There are a few Digikey part # that aren't specifically listed as being from Digikey but if Mouser doesn't recognize a part number when you import it, odds are it's a Digikey part number.

Edit: Check out the updated BOM bkbirge posted on Page 3 of this thread.

Tall Midget

Also here's some of the parts needed for the Funky Drummer:

clarke68 wrote:
Gated Comparator Sequence pots are all 100k linear.

Here's all of the switches on the Funky Drummer:

Pulse Divider Reset - Mouser #633-FB15ANEP2
Note actual part number is 633-FB15ANEP2-xy, where x is the size (F = small, H = large) and y is the color (C = red, A = black, B = white) of the button cap. This part is pretty critical, as the hole in the panel is specifically sized for this switch. Good quality switch, tho...tested to 50k cycles.

Gated Comparator Manual Loop/Load - Mouser #633-M201901-RO
There are probably other switches that will fit here, just be sure you get one that's ON - OFF - (ON)

Digital Noise Clock & Gated Comparator Loop Enable - most any SPDT ON - ON will work, the mounting holes are 0.25 in. which seems typical. I used part #317236 from Jameco.

bkbirge

Cool, didn't know about the BOM import tool.

bkbirge

edit: found some BOM mistakes, took it down, will re-upload when I fix 'em.

simfonik

MSU panel arrived today. Looks great!

Now the impatient wait for everything else to arrive.

bkbirge

OK, here's the corrected BOM for the MiniSynth and FunkyDrummer using Mouser parts and mods for euro (+/-12v operation) put in. I just checked it and the parts are in stock but of course that can change any minute. Also some parts cannot be sourced from Mouser and have been noted accordingly as ebay or bridechamber finds.

As always when using someone else's BOM, do your own double checking. This is a riff off the one Tall Midget provided (thanks TM!) and your own build may require your own personal riffing.

Note: BOM parts are per pcb board, you'll need to double up on some boards (vca and vco) when building the mini synth.

Edit: got rid of the crazy expensive molex male connector, replaced with much cheaper one, saves a lot of $$, Re-download this if you are using an earlier version <[2]

bkbirge

...and here's a couple mouser projects that make ordering a LOT easier. They take the BOM from above so if you want different parts you'll need to go in and edit and hit the button to 'save as my own project'. And of course these are just the parts from the BOM that Mouser has, you'll still need to source some stuff from other places (bridechamber, ebay).

Funky Drummer, mouser costs $121.42USD+shipping
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=5e66 c16398

West Coast Mini Synth, mouser costs $215.07USD+shipping, includes both vco's and vca's
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=16d4 3ff73a

fate

The 3/16" Standoff , Mouser - 534-1895 - what thread are these?,

also how did you manage to stack them all?
I was assuming on long screw on the top most board that passes through all 3 standoffs, then a short screw that meets the first standoff nearest the backside of the panel?

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next [all]
Page 1 of 20