MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ARP2600 ADSR/AR - Envelarp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author ARP2600 ADSR/AR - Envelarp

steffensen

15/03/19: Just a heads up that a limited stock of Panels are now in stock!

This is a clone of the ARP 2600 ADSR & AR, aimed at the euro format.

BOM & notes:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp7n9max438pi67/Envelarp_BuildDoc.pdf

I use the yellow LED's with these specs:
superbright
So if you decide to use anything else, 2 resistors might need to be changed.

Dego

SÃ¥klart! Panel and pcb SlayerBadger!

woodster

Always interested in new DIY projects, especially ARP 2600 derivatives.
Interested to see prices.

frozenkore

Ooo, looks nice. What format is the panel?

steffensen

Dego
Kan nog bli en specialare för din del. wink

frozenkore
The panel is euro.

Will update with prices as soon as i've got the final prices. Any day now!

frozenkore

steffensen wrote:
frozenkoreThe panel is euro.

Sounds good, I'm in for a board & panel!

Barcode

Oh snap! I'm always down for another ADSR. Put me down for 2 PCB's.

lessavyfav

I do at least 1! Is there a panel image?

steffensen

Great!

Yes, the image might change a tiny bit but here is the layout:

I was planning n having the panel silkscreened, on a matte black panel.
However, there is still the possibility to make it a bit cheaper and going with metalphoto instead. This means no white printing, but alu colored text. Also, the black might not be as matte.
What do you guys think?

mush

Jag vill ha 2 kort. Panel gör jag själv.

sempervirent

The handwritten font is an unusual design choice, given that the ARP 2600 is a big black box of pure evil.

Why not do a 2x6 grid so you'll have the space to treat the AR labeling the same as the ADSR labeling?

Metalphoto panels can be made with a matte finish, I just asked for a sample of this actually. Most Euro panels use the "satin" finish.

Finally, maybe the PCB is done, but it might be useful to have separate trig/gate inputs for both envelopes. You could normal the ADSR gate/trig to the AR gate/trig in case someone does want both envelopes to be triggered from the same input, like the 2600, but provide separate AR gate/trig inputs for more flexibility.

Some panel ideas:

diablojoy

I would like 2 pcb's
if you can seperate the trig/gate inputs for the ADSR and AR
then i would be in for 4 pcb's .

steffensen

sempervirent wrote:
The handwritten font is an unusual design choice, given that the ARP 2600 is a big black box of pure evil.

Why not do a 2x6 grid so you'll have the space to treat the AR labeling the same as the ADSR labeling?

Metalphoto panels can be made with a matte finish, I just asked for a sample of this actually. Most Euro panels use the "satin" finish.

Finally, maybe the PCB is done, but it might be useful to have separate trig/gate inputs for both envelopes. You could normal the ADSR gate/trig to the AR gate/trig in case someone does want both envelopes to be triggered from the same input, like the 2600, but provide separate AR gate/trig inputs for more flexibility.

Thanks for your input, ill try and answer your questions as good as i can (just woke up). smile
I like the handwritten font, thats all there is to that i guess. Im not cloning the graphics, just inspired by some parts.
The 2x6 grid wont work with how the PCB is designed. You could roll your own panel of course, and use wires to bring stuff wherever you want. In my design a component leg is enough to connect each jack with the board tho. Same for the LEDs.

I decided to not put the AR text the same as the ADSR, so it would be easier to spot that section immediately.

Why there is no separate Trig/Gate for the AR (it only need Gate actually), is because this circuit needs at least 10V Gate/Trig, so i made a Schmitt for the inputs to reach the appropriate levels. And i had no more room on my LM393 for more than a true copy of the old ARP scheme.
Its easy to scratch the trace to the AR section and put a jack on it if you wanna play however.

I did use a CD40106 at first, but as it needed at least 6.6V to trigger, this felt like a better way to be able to use the standard euro voltage.

I also had to change some values to be able to power the LED's properly, so while i was at it i made the outputs go near 10V each.

Regarding metalphoto,
I havent really found a manufacturer in EU for this yet, i have some samples coming in very soon however.
I want to make sure the print is alright before i send out a bigger order.

Any more questions, just shoot!

heapish

Interested in 1 maybe two.

negativspace

Panels in the EU... check with Fonik. His are always superbly made, and the black comes out really well.

woodster

In terms of panels, I'd rather see a silver based one made available if possible.
The Black wouldn't work for me, so I'm wondering if the PCB's and panels will be available separately ?

steffensen

negativspace,
Thanks, ive actually been in contact with them. I believe i will go with fahrion instead, got a great offer from them and their work is excellent as well. Would need to reach at least 25 orders to make it reasonable cheap.

woodster,
No silver panels im afraid. Only PCBs are no prob though!

woodster

thumbs up

steffensen

Updated the first post.

Amberclock

Well! I'm in for one PCB and one Panel but do keep a question mark on me, since it all comes down to whether I will be able to pay or not (I think I will be able, though). I'll do it probably by mid-september.

BTW, LOVE sempervirent's design. I dig both black and white but do like white a tad bit more (:

razz

steffensen

Amberclock,
Np, panels wont happen until we reach at least 25 orders anyway. smile

Nothing wrong with sempervirent's design, its just not possible with this board.
I have plans for separate modules of the ADSR & AR later, which will have more features. This is for us who want a pretty exact clone, in a basic slim setup.

steffensen

Ok, whipped a few demos together for the Envelarp.
I noticed it wasnt easy to capture the "sound" of a envelope, as its more one of those thing you feel when playing around with it.

Anyway, better than nothing right?
The occasional blips and blops are me me tweaking around, so dont blame the EG for this. This is fun!

Kicks
Snares
Snares 2
Bass
Bass 2
Short Live Bass
Noisy Arpegio

Some clips are pretty noise, forgot to up the input level before recording, + the ARP 4012 VCF im using is kinda noisy too i guess.
Btw, the VCA in use here is the Oakley Classic, works perfect with this EG!

Will up some scope images tomorrow. Probably gives a better view on things.

heapish

Can I ammend my order, 1 pcb and 1 panel.
I dont think I read it right in the first place! Working nights messing me up!

heapish

Also if you could do a mouser/similar BOM that would be mega excellent of you!

steffensen

Sure thing!
I'll put a mouser BOM up asap.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9