MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
WARNING! Gear101 (now known as Gearaudio101) is back yet again, behind a proxy yet again, and is sending PMs and emails to users offering their WTB items. THIS GUY IS A CROOK, A WELL KNOWN SCAMMER. DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM!

Messed up! Fixing a lifted solder pad
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Messed up! Fixing a lifted solder pad

peachfuzzmcgee

I can't seem to find a good answer to my question but I was trying to figure out a way to fix or circumvent that I have a couple lifted pads from probably poor technique. Either way I was trying to figure out if I could just route a cable from the lead to another components lead that has a trace between them or does it have to be a particular one following the schematics (I'm working on a CGS DUSG).

or should I try and uncover the copper tracing and bend the leg then solder it down (seems slightly more difficult then the first idea.

or am I just screwed?

thermionicjunky

As long as everything at that circuit node is still connected, the PCB trace shouldn't matter.

delayed

Look at the schematics and see where the trace would be going to and just tack a small wire or cut off lead to that part. Make sure it is not doubled sided. If it is you will need to do the same for the other side of the PCB. If it is single sided sometimes using the length of that part's lead could be better used to make the 'trace'.

peachfuzzmcgee

delayed wrote:
Look at the schematics and see where the trace would be going to and just tack a small wire or cut off lead to that part. Make sure it is not doubled sided. If it is you will need to do the same for the other side of the PCB. If it is single sided sometimes using the length of that part's lead could be better used to make the 'trace'.

It is one sided, do you mean bending the leg and soldering it onto exposed trace? or something different all together? (I already cut it short because I wasn't paying attention).

So just look at the schematic, look at where it goes next and then attach a cable to that leg over to the next or attach it directly to the trace? Sorry I'm at work trying to visualize it.

Edit: I'm scared to start scratching off the solder mask to get to the copper so I think since I saved so many leads I'm gonna reattach one to make the lead a little longer than gonna run a wire from point to point for that particular trace I think.

I have three broken pads so it shouldn't be too much of a pain, does this idea seem the least evasive?

synthdude

You don't need to scratch anything off, just solder a wire to the end of the component (where the trace is damaged) and then follow the trace to the next part and solder the wire to the lead of that part. You can do this on the top or bottom. It ok to do this and it should work fine. Occasionally I have to do this when I'm prototyping a new PCB.

peachfuzzmcgee

synthdude wrote:
You don't need to scratch anything off, just solder a wire to the end of the component (where the trace is damaged) and then follow the trace to the next part and solder the wire to the lead of that part. You can do this on the top or bottom. It ok to do this and it should work fine. Occasionally I have to do this when I'm prototyping a new PCB.

Cool that is what I plan to do, just wire the individual parts on the same trace from their leads. It'll be probably the easiest way anyway, especially since I'm basically done anyway just need to fix these issues before I start wiring it to the pots/jacks

cygmu

FWIW, once you've repaired the lifted pads and finished the board, you can test its basic functionality before doing the panel wiring: see this great post by zthee

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98550&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=25

peachfuzzmcgee

that post was extremely helpful, I went back and repaired one of the broken solder pad connecting by connecting the leads, it wasn't too tough although it doesn't look pretty. I have two more to fix but I need to figure it out because one of them shouldnt be a big issue to connect two wires leading out, but one traces toward 3 other points and getting three cables in there might be tough. So I'm going to look at the schematic and see what I can find myself doing here.

I'm gonna have to take a look at the schematic to figure out if I can just do it point by point rather than all from the one broken connection to each individual pad. If I'm doing this too round a bout lemme know! as I'm very much a noob

You guys have been super helpful with finishing this CGS build! it's really inspiring.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1