MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

sequencers?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author sequencers?
dust mite
does anyone have any opinions on the analogue solutions oberkorn mk3 vs. the doepfer maq/3? the doepfer seems like the specs might be better but i have no experience with either manufacturer.
tiny333
well i dont know about the doefer but that oberkon looks sweet

great speck i was after one but ended up getting a mobius from CONFUSED
as it did hz/v cv

decisions decisions confused
droolmaster0
dust mite wrote:
does anyone have any opinions on the analogue solutions oberkorn mk3 vs. the doepfer maq/3? the doepfer seems like the specs might be better but i have no experience with either manufacturer.

I had the mk3 for awhile, but returned it due to a midi bug in the early models. Because there was going to be a delay in getting a good one, I never did wind up getting another, but I did actually rather like it. At this point I wouldn't get one again simply because I don't think it's as good as some of the other stuff I have, but the other ones are much more expensive.

I had an maq years ago. My recollection is that it was kind of a pain, and if I had to choose now between them, I'd go for the Oberkorn. Off the top of my head, the next step up in price would be considerably more, which would be the Modcan 54b + clock module...on the other hand, that's a fantastic analog sequencer.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
I have the MAQ and I love it.

midi and CV smile
tiny333
glad we all cleared that up Mr. Green
tiny333
that modcan looks AWSOME !!! sell a child or something smile
dust mite
the oberkorn looks a bit more straightforward and simple. the doepfer seems a bit more challenging but does those nifty tricks like reverse, one-shot, etc. the prices are very comparable...
modulator_esp
I've had a couple of MAQ 16/3s, they are quite fun and can do lots of interesting stuff, but setting up sequences is pretty fiddly

If you have some way of quantising the output they are great fun
Scaff
I had a MAQ in the past but was not really satisfied... So i sold it and bought a pair of A-155/154 with a quantizer. Its amazing what you can do with this combo!
elemental
I had an Oberkorn last year. Very solid sequencer. I ended up selling it, only because I wanted something a bit less rigid timing-wise (loves me swing/shuffle!), and I wanted 303-style glide per step.

I would get one again if I had the money and the space! It was great for quickly getting sequences out of the modular. Timing-wise, I now know that I could have got weird timings with an odd-clock divider, and I could have used a gate-delay to emulate shuffle.

The way you can program it from MIDI is wicked aswell; you can treat the sequence like a beat chopped up in recycle! In fact - I would get one again for that also! I got some wicked sequences out of it. Its just so handy being able to quickly patch up each row to a different CV.

I would recommend it. And Tom is a good guy to deal with.

EDIT:

I went through, in this order:
Oberkorn III
Frostwave Fat Controller (too temperamental, great little sequencer tho)
Blacet Hex Zone

all got used for a bit (well Hex Zone hardly) and then sold.
Now I have the lovely Genoqs Nemo!!
The Nemo together with the Oberkorn would just be silly.... maybe one day !
tony d
What is it your curious about ?

I have the maq 16/3 and like it alot for the modular not so much for midi , but that is because the only midi synth i have is a microwave xt and prefer to do sequencing w/ the machinedrum.

I contemplated selling the maq at one point until i spoke with a friend who has been using analogue equipment for much longer than i and he gave me different ideas of how to use a sequencer and now i have alot of fun with the maq. I think it is a very flexible sequencer and very easy to use once you get your head around the menu.

I can't make any comparison because the maq is the only sequencer i have owned besides the future retro/ mobius. A friend of mine has the frostwave and that is a really cool sequencer also, just the basics but a very nice motion to it.[/i]
haricots
I had a MAQ for years but ended up trading it. It is a 'fiddly' machine for sure - a quantiser is probably a must. I currently use a Nemo and a Mobius. I can see the Modcan sequencer in my future. help
dougt
Yeah count me in as another who had an MAQ and sold it. It seemed pretty buggy and one really annoying aspect was when you selected a new sequence it would go there immediately and not wait until the end of the current sequence... Anyway I think I like the TKB best. 8_)

Doug
droolmaster0
dougt wrote:
Yeah count me in as another who had an MAQ and sold it. It seemed pretty buggy and one really annoying aspect was when you selected a new sequence it would go there immediately and not wait until the end of the current sequence... Anyway I think I like the TKB best. 8_)

Doug

yeah - it's hard to beat the tkb, unless of course, you're looking for a different feature set. Don't know why I didn't try this until recently, but I found this very cool - you can do audio rate sequencing vertically, and normally timed sequencing horizontally - simultaneously. So, it can act as an oscillator and sequencer at once.
ignatzthemouse
I keep hearing good things about the 155. I'm deciding between this and an MFB seq02. Much the same cost but very different specs.

Any thoughts either way?
droolmaster0
the doepfer 154/155, as I recall, made a very powerful analog sequencer. I haven't used the mfb, but that one is pretty basic, isn't it? What I didn't like about the Doepfer was the user interface/appearance. It just didn't call to me, for some reason.
astroschnautzer
I like the a-155/156 combo, but havent really tried other sequencers, if you don`t like the interface u can always get a milton like droolmaster because then you dont have to look at the interface at all, hehe: hihi
ignatzthemouse
It isn't easy to get a lot of info on the seq02. Seems like it would make a good trigger sequencer with some cv control at the least. If the Ui works well it might be fun for melodic things. It is also nice and dinky.
Just so hard to tell if its usable and what it is useful for in practice.

Ironic that Plan B made a sequencer called the Milton and then fell so completely from grace. Or has that joke been made?

Mr. Green
astroschnautzer
there was a topic about the seq-2 only putting out major scale, is there a confirmation for this? Big drawback for a otherwise cool sequencer.
ignatzthemouse
Ah I think I remember reading that too. I was also left a bit unsure if did or did not by the end. Would really like to know.
Suburban Bather
The Seq-02 does standard note scaling in mode 1. You get a gate signal with every note signal though. In mode 2 you get the weird scaling, but you sequence the gates independently.

The only real draw back of the Seq-02 is that the gates are extremely short. 16th note gates to be exact, 32nd on and 32nd off. If you're fine with just using attack/decay EG's, then the Seq-02 is screaming goo yo I love my Seq-02
Ardilla
sam-16 by snd!
JohnLRice
Holee crap, haricots! The little girl in your avatar looks like she is admiring her job of carving up her parents and she is trying to decide which peices to eat first! eek!

8_)
dkcg
I got an Oberkorn, simple to use, very straight forward (literally, no pendulum mode waah ).

But you can play the steps via midi. Which opens up a lot once Max or my apreggiator is controlling the oberkorn. Pendulum, various randomness, etc. I wish it had a glide per step (only overall glide, but you could patch a glide per step up with a VC slew and one of the 3 CV channels or another sequencer. You need an external quantizer if you plan on chromatic scales. The gate gating CVs and transposition CVs are nice for changing things up without changing any knobs too. This is the only CV sequencer I've owned (besides the Seq-1), so I can't really compare it with much else, but I love mine. It opened up new worlds. thumbs up

If you consider the cost of a 3u rack and an A-155/154 or Asys RS200, the Oberkorn isn't a bad deal.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1