MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arduino General Discussion Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Arduino General Discussion Thread
lazerkind
No I used the standard 10bit arduino adc's.
I never got it working stable with the fastest settings so I settled for a predivide of 16. With that I got 5 octaves of tracking, and it's fast enough for me. The fast setup just sounded out of tune all the time.

I need to clean up my source a bit before posting anything.
But basically I'm doing dual DDS synthesis with various modulations.
This was my starting document.
http://interface.khm.de/index.php/lab/experiments/arduino-dds-sinewave -generator/

Edit:
Oh, and I use a dual 8bit dac for output. I simply like gritty stuff twisted
When the next arduino comes out I'll probably do some 24bit audio instead.
x2mirko
lazerkind wrote:
No I used the standard 10bit arduino adc's.
I never got it working stable with the fastest settings so I settled for a predivide of 16. With that I got 5 octaves of tracking, and it's fast enough for me. The fast setup just sounded out of tune all the time.

ah, that might actually be my problem grin
I'm pretty sure i'm using the fastest settings, too. I'll have to check that out when i get back home.

also, thanks for the link, will check that out smile
Yeuky
Arduino's were my first real microcontrollers, but as time passes on they appeal to me less and less. The last project I finished a few days ago was a nightmare, my first to use an UNO aswell. The instability of the new serial chip is ridiculous (Or perhaps I was just unlucky). I've come to see many better solutions, i.e the new NXP DIP ARM32 chip, the BeagleBone, Maple, Netduino (Mmmmm .Net!) etc. If you look around, you can find much greater power for the same price (Raspberry Pi anyone?) I think the days of 8-bit microcontrollers are coming to a close, and ARM32 will fill this void.

For mere faffing about, and the benefit to projects that the arduino's ubiquity provides, I'll still keep on around.
EATyourGUITAR
could you explain to me how this ARM32 works? do you still code in C using arduino libraries? or is it all assembler?
Neutron7
The arduino "due" is supposed to work the same as arduino people are used to. Atmel is working with them. some third party libraries will take longer to get working, but i expect it wont be long for the most popular ones.

of course the whole thing could be vaporware!

also microchip claims they have arduino compatible 32 bit boards, but they are being really slow about releasing anything that lets you do more than basic things.
Yeuky
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
could you explain to me how this ARM32 works? do you still code in C using arduino libraries? or is it all assembler?

You can program them in many of the same ways as you can an AVR. You can do assembly via JTAG, compile C code, whatever.

There are a number of different approaches to programming in the more accessible products, however.

The 'mbed' project uses an online IDE, and you just save the completed program on it, just like it was a USB thumb drive.

There is even a project called 'maple' which uses the arduino IDE and language, and is thus compatible with most of the libraries.

What I believe is the better solution, however, is the Beaglebone. You simply plug it in via USB, it sets up a network connection. You can then navigate to it's IP address in your browser and you have full access to the IDE. The board itself runs a variety of Linux that makes all of this possible, just to give you an idea of how much more powerful it is.
EATyourGUITAR
Linux and penguins rule. It would be sick to have a web page controlling the modular. I see the wifi and ethernet stuff people are doing
Neutron7
I have a maple, but for some reason i couldnt get the driver to work in windows7 64, (that was a year ago, though maybe things have changed.)

if you want a full blown mini computer with linux, you could get a beagleboard or something like that, but soon you might as well just get a netbook or something smile i like the knobby panel with the little computer hidden inside pretending to be a massive circuit board.
EATyourGUITAR
ok so the beaglebone is $90 and the pro mini is $20. the beaglebone can run ubuntu with wifi and DVI out. there is a youtube video. totally sick. but @ $90 its not even cheap or small. I can't imagine why I would need all that anyway. someone brought up the point that it can be used for home lighting control or security systems. why not an alarm that blasts some awful sound from the modular when people break in.
EATyourGUITAR
I just noticed the old arduino is $23 now with free shipping

I think I'm just gonna buy it since it is so cheap. I know everyone likes the new UNO but my goal is to learn the pro mini so I'll start on the Duemilanove.
Neutron7

here is a 4 oscillator "synth" done on an arduino mega, just a bit after i got back in to synthDIY a couple of years ago and got my first 2 modules smile

It is doing envelopes and lfos, detuning and modulation etc and 4 wavetable oscillators.

it uses an external eprom with some "borrowed" and home made wavetables.

there are 16 wavetables, each with 16 waves 256x8bits.

after the eprom are 2 8 bit DACs, and the envelope is done by varying the DACs vref with a filtered PWM output.

I used parallel DACS because serial (even SPI) was too slow for the program to still work, (and i needed the arduino mega because it had enough pins for all that.)

another filterd PWM output is used to send a CV to the external filter, as well as a gate output for external ADSR (for the filter)

I have a nicer 5u panel version of this synth, but i stole some parts from it, i think i will alter the program to do 4 channels MIDI, 4 separate oscs with different pitch bend and CV outs, so i can run the continuum in to it.
Neutron7
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
I just noticed the old arduino is $23 now with free shipping

I think I'm just gonna buy it since it is so cheap. I know everyone likes the new UNO but my goal is to learn the pro mini so I'll start on the Duemilanove.

I use em for all sorts of things now, they are cheap enough that you can save a lot of time, even if you only use a tiny amount of its functions. and if the one you got is PRE uno, you can easily program the bootloader in to an atmega 328 with it,($4) then swap it with the one in the arduino you dont even need a programmer. just 6 jumper wires.

then you just need a crystal and a couple of other compinents and you can run your "arduino sketch" in a circuit for permanent use.

a lot of times though the thing i build is not used for very long, (test setups etc) so it is nice to have the arduino back to do something else with later. and not bother with all that hassle.
BananaPlug
Quote:
how about a board that...
thumbs up
The multi-function utility module you made with it is something I always thought would be a great Arduino project. I started an Arduino project about dividers and logic but the user interface was getting to be a real bottleneck (too many features) so I put it aside.
Great thread. That BeagleBone is nuts. It's got Linux. I could program a module in AWK and say it's steampunk hihi
Neutron7
BananaPlug wrote:
Quote:
how about a board that...
thumbs up
The multi-function utility module you made with it is something I always thought would be a great Arduino project. I started an Arduino project about dividers and logic but the user interface was getting to be a real bottleneck (too many features) so I put it aside.
Great thread. That BeagleBone is nuts. It's got Linux. I could program a module in AWK and say it's steampunk hihi

thats why i kind of standardized on the interface, make it as versatile as possible to fit in the space, then work with what restrictions you made on it. otherwise you could go crazy with different versions with different amounts of controls and so on.
YashN
I'm using my Arduino in a few different ways:
- experimenting with sound synthesis: oscillators, PWM outputs, filtered
- sequencer of CV signals for sending to my modded analog synths (currently being tested on a Korg Poly-800 and a Korg DW-8000)
- experimenting with MIDI processing

Neutron7 wrote:
1 8 way selector switch

Which part are you using for this, Neutron7, and where did you get it?
EATyourGUITAR
someone is buying me a beaglebone when they are released.
This is fun!
anyone know how to add wifi? I saw the ubuntu with the Dlink USB wireless. is there a better way?
EATyourGUITAR
YashN wrote:
Neutron7 wrote:
1 8 way selector switch

can you just use this?

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=477

and a resistor ladder hooked up to one analog IN. you just quantize in software.
glacial23
I've done a few Arduino projects of my own design, mostly using the Modern Device RBBB, due to its small form factor:

-An 8-step analog-style MIDI sequencer.
-a "programmable module", using a quad DAC for analog outputs (I haven't really documented this, but it's similar to the Wiblocks NB1A, sans RTC chip and with Zener diode protection on the inputs.)
-a clock-pulse-to-MIDI clock adapter.

Current Arduino projects in the works:
-MIDI retrofitting an MXR185 drum machine.
-A sort of video synth using the Gameduino shield. So far all it does is fade between random colors, but I plan to make a shield that stacks on top of it to provide analog inputs and whatnot...
Neutron7
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
YashN wrote:
Neutron7 wrote:
1 8 way selector switch

can you just use this?

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=477

and a resistor ladder hooked up to one analog IN. you just quantize in software.

I think it is exactly that switch, i got 100 of them on ebay for $14 or something silly

it is a resistor ladder, but it comes before the multiplexer, Thats just for lots of controls though, and is more or less the same as using an analog in.
EATyourGUITAR
mouser has a shipping date for the beaglebone. December 15th, 2011. they are open for pre-orders right now if you want it to ship automatically when it comes in.
Neutron7
700 mhz? woah

i think ill pre-order one for sure.
Found some info:

Seven 100K sample per second A to D converters are available on the expansion header. (12 bit)

NOTE: Maximum voltage is 1.8V. Do not exceed this voltage. Voltage dividers
should be used for voltages higher than 1.8V.

In order to use these signals, level shifters will be required. These signals connect direct
to the processor and care should be taken not to exceed this voltage.

There are up to eight PWM outputs on the expansion header.

• High Resolution Outputs- up to 6 single ended.
• ECAP PWM- 2 outputs
<<what is that?
EATyourGUITAR
digikey has them in limited quantity right now. only 132 in stock

and here is the manual with the specs
EATyourGUITAR
I was reading the beaglebone manual yesterday. it says 66 GPIO. I'm pretty sure these can be any digital IN or OUT. that is insane.

notice how the beaglebone does not have VGA out like the beagleboard xm. the beagleboard is $250. too much money. so I found this pandaboard for $180. at this point we are wayyy past the $20 arduino. but we are maybe double the price of a Duemilanove + Gameduino shield and about 100 , maybe 1000 times the computing power. full size SD makes it cheaper to get 32GB storage on board. think of the applications for video synthesis or video processing. it has touch screen support. you could build a touch screen groovebox analog synth. wiimote support. even sensor bar support. there are youtube videos of people using the xbox kinect on the beagleboard. considering the price of the buchla lightning, the $100 kinect + $90 beaglebone is a very attractive development platform for gesture recognition and musical instruments.

EATyourGUITAR
EDIT
schmidtc
This ones $39 and built to wiggle. Arduino and Maple libraries for delay/vco/flanger etc. are open source downloads.

http://www.openmusiclabs.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPa th=11&products_id=26&zenid=6j1gilnq9pgug78uqkgtqhosr5
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 2 of 5