MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arduino General Discussion Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Arduino General Discussion Thread
Neutron7
Beaglebones are available at mouser now, a bit cheaper than digikey.

they only have 17 of them now though.

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/BeagleBoard/BB-BONE-000/?qs=ojrz6AC P3aRSdMehdG1Csw%3d%3d
osterchrisi
I use these a lot: JeeNodes
Basically an Arduino (well an ATmega to be correct) with a radio, so you can send data between different JeeNodes and/or a JeePlug which is a radio transmitter you can plug into your USB-port. It's freakin brilliant.
EATyourGUITAR
from memory I think they had aprox 2300 on order and now it says 17 in stock 2200 on order. that means beagleboard is shipping very limited quantities of the beaglebone to retailers in the first production run. I would like to see an ultra mega awesome 8 channel DAC shield for the beaglebone.

in other news, I found this sweet codec shield. it can go up to 88Khz/24bit

schmidtc
Yea, that's the one. I've got on of their microdecs in my modular. I'll get a video up soon.
Neutron7
Buying one to make sure it can be used on shield modulator smile
nickciontea
http://brownshoesonly.com/2011/04/05/maxon-ad-999-delay-pedal-hack/

EATyourGUITAR
I found some interesting information about using I2C DAC's on the beaglebone. the beaglebone has two IC2 interfaces. Texas Instruments makes a 8 channel 12bit DAC called DAC7578. digikey part 296-27740-5-ND in 16-TSSOP. then I found a site that will make it in a DIP16 package using the digikey part for a small fee. Adafruit has a beaglebone proto cape (like a shield). you would still need another board with all the TL074's to amplify and offset your signals. the beaglebone also has 66 general purpose I/O to use for gate in and gate out. there are also analog inputs built in. think of the possibilities.
Neutron7
I think it would be better to use an SPI DAC, especially with the speed of that board. (some DACs can do both)
EATyourGUITAR
I think it only has one SPI. I could be wrong. anyway, I read a lot on SPI and the multiplexing or daisy chaining or whatever. it just seems way over my head to program all this junk in software. having a dedicated I2C line to each dac on just 2 wires seems way easier to code. I really don't need 16 channels of analog. maybe I could just use one 8 channel DAC on SPI and keep it simple. there is also analog I/O onboard. maybe I should just start with that? with SPI and I2C DAC's as modules in DIP16, I was hoping I could use them on the breadboard and reuse them with different micro controllers.
Neutron7
It's not really that hard, you share 2 or 3 (depending if its an output or i/o device ) pins between all SPI devices, and any of the other free pins as a chip select.

You enable the chip select for whatever device you want to communicate with, send / recieve data, then disable chip select. The actual sending and receiving of data is much like serial, but can be faster.

Some devices might use other pins as well, like a display might have another pin for data/setup mode.
EATyourGUITAR
what confuses me is this
Neutron7
You don't have to do it that way, just have a different slave select (same as chip select) for each one. It wastes a few more pins, but it's easier.
JJ
I think you should check this out:

EATyourGUITAR
JJ very cool. there are so many awesome things happening in that video. I will do some reading on that copperduino and asylum.

Neutron7 wrote:
You don't have to do it that way, just have a different slave select (same as chip select) for each one. It wastes a few more pins, but it's easier.

I only see one pin for SS. how do you do it?
Neutron7
Got a beaglebone today and managed to make it blink an LED.

Its very cool and all, but its going to need a lot of work.

1: it takes a long time to boot up with the linux and IDE and everything (actually longer than my pc with an SSD) compared to arduinos almost instant on.

2: you cant just start it without USB connected and have your "sketch" run yet so its not even useful for us yet. (this will be fixed of course, but a lot of stuff is not ready)

this weekend i will test the timing of a 1 ms square wave and see if it is jittery at all. baby steps smile

hopefully they will have a "boot in to" option or something which bypasses all the linux and other mumbo jumbo (but how do you get out of it?

there are other IDEs though, i would prefer one based on my PC where i just put the program on the board and run it standalone. i know there are certain advantages, like being able to run it in your browser and not worrying about java and other OS related stuff.(and probably others)

anyways, still a LOT to learn about it.

oh yes, and the reason it is that shape, it comes with an altoids tin which it fits in perfectly.
EATyourGUITAR

looks like the adafruit proto cape will fit in the tin.

this one is opensource

you do not need to program through the web interface and you also do not need to use the linux bootloader. without the linux bootloader, it should be fast as shit. only problem is that it is not an arduino. you could run an arduino bootloader for ARM A8 but I don't even know what you need or how.

EDIT, I guess you can program by changing the linux image. if you are good with linux, it should make sense. I know people use ubuntu but tinycore is probably way smaller. I'm in the chat right now and there are some people saying beaglebone is alpha or beta or whatever. I think all this junk will be sorted really quick with the community and texas instruments behind it.
Neutron7
hmmm..... not in a million years unless they make double Decker tins.

You need a bit of space the the bottom for the SD card and USB, and something to hold it down, after that there is about (guess) 0.15 inches left to close the lid.

if you had no headers on the protoshield then you could fit only SMD or resistors etc, no tall components or even DIP ICs.

besides, cutting neat square holes in a tin is not fun.

i think the tin is just a place to keep it safe smile
EATyourGUITAR
http://narcissus.angstrom-distribution.org/

select beagleboard from the menu. this lets you compile a custom linux bootloader (rootfs) for the beaglebone so you can get it really small and lightweight.
JJ
There's not that much info on the Copperduino yet, but come January and there will be...
EATyourGUITAR

from the arduino forums

8 voice polyphony midi synth on the arduino duemilanove. not bad for a $23 microcontroller.
AlyseumSupport
The CopperLan capable board that is showing up in some Alyseum MS-812 videos is now available.

On the Copperduino web site, there are setups using various shields such as a polyphonic synth, a MIDI interface and various controls and displays.

EATyourGUITAR
MadGav wrote:
The concept of ARDcore is interesting, but I've no interest in dealing with a low performance 8-bit chip. The Arduino Due is now just about out, and while not big on grunt looks like a leap up in CPU power, or there are however many other ARM chips around.

My vain wish would be a Euro module, 4+ DC-coupled inputs, 2+ DC-coupled outputs, ARM based so it software could be C/C++ and a simple framework to allow processing code to be integrated with the hardware.

I wait in hope smile I'm pretty sure with something like this I could crank out a bunch of interesting code in fairly short order.

(Prompted by mention of CZ-alike elsewhere, for which I have existing code)

reposted from another thread. moving it here.

I think its time to discuss the new arduino Due and the 32bit arm M3 running @ 84Mhz. is it pin for pin compatible with the neutron shield modulator? will the ardcore code examples be ported using the new arduino IDE? is anyone interested in the GCC toolchain for ARM M3? also, what are you planning to do with the extra channels of ADC and DAC. the due is reported to have 12 channels of 12bit ADC and 2 channels of 12bit DAC. there are also 12 channels of PWM output that can be filtered for use as analog CV and audio outs. the arm M3 datasheet says 16 channels of ADC @ 12bit are possible so I wonder if this can be done using alternative IDE's.
MadGav
I've mailed Open Music Labs to ask about plans for their Audio Codec Shield and Due, 2x2 high quality ADC/DAC plus the onboard ADC/DAC ought to be pretty useful?
EATyourGUITAR
yeah I always thought the 8Mhz arduino was a little weak to do anything fancy with the audio codec shield. the performance increase of the 32bit 84Mhz should be huge for 2ins x 2outs. I still don't have the pinout for the due so I don't know if the SPI has the same pinout. the due has better ADC and DAC so its not exactly hurting without the high quality codec. the libraries provided for the audio codec shield are for arduino and leaf labs maple. the mega is still not supported. I have no way of knowing if the arduino libs for 8bit will compile fine on the new 32 bit arduino. you may be fine or you may need to rewrite the libraries from scratch. it all depends on if you want to be on the bleeding edge with more work or just jump into something that will definitely work like the leaf labs maple + audio codec shield.

read the wiki for the audio codec shield
http://wiki.openmusiclabs.com/wiki/AudioCodecShield
MadGav
Response from Mark @ Open Music Labs about their Codec Shield and Due:

"we havent looked into the due yet, but will be doing so soon."
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 3 of 5