MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arduino General Discussion Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Arduino General Discussion Thread
Rick Burnett
I just purchased a Due so it should be coming in after a few days. Like most people, I really like the Ardcore, but need more inputs and outputs for what I want to do. Most of my circuit work so far in preparation was for the Mega doing less, then someone turned me on to the Due, so now I am reworking my designs to work with 3.3v.

The pinout seems similar to the Mega to me, but I did not look too closely at it. What I REALLY like is the DACs that are built in. I wanted to do 2CV/AUDIO in and 2CV/AUDIO out (meaning, I can use them for either) and then do a bunch of gate in and out signals.

I do want to possible create 2x more CV outs, so I will be looking into a few different DAC solutions. I guess it depends how easy it is to write my own code. With so many digital outputs, I'd love to just hook two in parallel with different chip selects and write them in a row. Given the ARM is 32-bit, what would REALLY be nice is just creating a 32-bit piece of data that I can push out with one clock cycle to both of them, not sure how deep you can get in the arduino/ARM land for doing this sort of stuff.

Has anyone looked into circuits for taking 0-3.3V and massaging it for audio and/or CV? I figured I'd bring the level up with an opamp and then just create another offset/attentuate circuit on the outputs so have the most freedom.
krz
Just mentioning...
The guy at mutableinstruments.net uses
Arduino for most of the projects/kits/builds.
YashN
krz wrote:
Just mentioning...

No.
BenKissBox
krz wrote:
Just mentioning...

You are wrong.
Using the same model processor does not mean that you use the same underlying design. Mutable stuff has nothing to see with Arduino.
Jarno
Oh no, we've been misguided for two years! hihi

On a serieus Note though, I am looking to use an Arduino as the brains for a programmer for a sequencer. Just like a serge, archangel etc.
The idea is to use fsr's for keys and then some logic in the form of the arduino.
Anybody know some example projects?
YashN
There are a lot of Arduino-based sequencer designs on the web, both for MIDI sequencing or for CV/Gate, just search for them.

It's actually quite easy to do.
Jarno
Sequencers, yes, but keyboard scanning?
(Should have been more specific)
YashN
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Arduino+key+scanning

Tons of info.
Nantonos
YashN wrote:

Tons of info.

Tons of info and relevant info are not the same. Yes, lots of info about reading 4x4 numeric keypads, or people asking questions on forums with no answers/wrong answers/"ok fixed now" dead-end followups. Some info on scanning (music) keyboards, often with a fixed velocity or a promise to improve that later but then no update. Etc.

To answer the actual question: on Open Music Labs, first read How does a MIDI keyboard work? (non-MIDI keyboards can work the same way). Then look at latching multiplexers to scan a keyboard.

The Arduino forum tends to have a lot of bad info and dead ends but this thread is interesting. Over on the Teensy forum, Minimal MIDI keyboard and USB-MIDI to Digital Pin are helpful threads.
YashN
Yes, OpenMusicLabs is a great resource, I especially like the articles which go quite in-depth on some subjects.

About 'bad info, dead ends, no updates', the point about Arduino libraries and the hardware/firmware and IDE as well as the community usually sharing its code is that you can add your own code easily: the whole setup was originally planned for non-coders, like artists, etc...

On the other hand, not first looking for the vast amount of info or expecting other people to do everything for you is just laziness.

The point is: if it doesn't exist, do it yourself.

The Arduino example sketches and the online documentation are a great start. PWM + rudimentary filter for CV, and callback example for MIDI library v4 together with Hairless Serial MIDI bridge gets you quite far. The rest is multiplexing pots, and perhaps sending messages to an LCD.
Jarno
Nantonos wrote:
YashN wrote:

Tons of info.

Tons of info and relevant info are not the same. Yes, lots of info about reading 4x4 numeric keypads, or people asking questions on forums with no answers/wrong answers/"ok fixed now" dead-end followups. Some info on scanning (music) keyboards, often with a fixed velocity or a promise to improve that later but then no update. Etc.

To answer the actual question: on Open Music Labs, first read How does a MIDI keyboard work? (non-MIDI keyboards can work the same way). Then look at latching multiplexers to scan a keyboard.

The Arduino forum tends to have a lot of bad info and dead ends but this thread is interesting. Over on the Teensy forum, Minimal MIDI keyboard and USB-MIDI to Digital Pin are helpful threads.

Superb, thanks! Some reading to do hihi
pre55ure
Jarno, I'm currently working on an atmega based sequencer. I've spent quite a bit of time over the past couple of months getting everything up and running. I've you need help with with something specific- send me a PM and I might be able to help you avoid some of the dead ends I went down.

thumbs up
Jarno
thumbs up

A lot of rounding of of other projects to do, and I will need to do some prototyping of the touch circuits (NAND didn't work too well). But, thanks! Much appreciated!
@Jarno - do you want to read in the analog voltage level of the FSRs and play these back out? how many FSRs do you want to use? how many outputs would you want?
Jarno
I did a simple layout for a fsr controller and found the touch sensitivity not that great so Thinking of probably using them as switches only. But I also tried capacitive touch a while back, a opamp based switch I built worked really well (probe wah clone), but I recently tried the paia circuit and another name based circuit, and those didn't work to well.
Thinking of using about 8 pads/switches/sensors.
Still plenty of other projects, but I'll probably prototype some building block circuits for this.
Jarno wrote:
I did a simple layout for a fsr controller and found the touch sensitivity not that great...

FSRs have a non-linear response, they change resistance really fast at first, and then not so much later. if this was the issue you had with them, you can use them with an inverting amp to linearize the output. check out the circuits at the bottom of this page:

http://www.openmusiclabs.com/learning/sensors/fsr/

for circuits with +/-12v rails, you can just short the + terminal to ground, and the output will go from 0v to 12v when pressed.
Roy72
Hi,

Sorry for hijacking an old thread - but I'm having trouble getting my Mac (10.10.4) to link up to the Seeeduino board in my MengQi voltage memory to update it. I've tried downloading the FTDIUSB drivers but it hasn't made any difference - any ideas?

Cheers,

Roy
LesHall
Hi, new here, from electro-music.com, not getting much response there as the traffic seems to have died off so I'll take the plunge in here:

Y a
a
a
a
splash!

Just recently I took on a new Arduino project. It's based on using the ATtiny84 chip to implement a lot of synth functions and crazie functions as well. Today I tried to create a CV2F with a sampled input, some config switches, and a square wave output. It worked just fine in basic form after some time wrestling with the lack of tone() function, and I just added controls and compiled it working - need to do a quick test on it tho.

The idea is to make all kinda modules so a Function Generator module would take care of converting square to sine or saw or ramp or whatever is desired. The plan is that each chip will have internal pullups on the config switches so that by default it operates in the most widely used mode (all ones on the config inputs) and you use pulldowns or pots or dividers to set other stuffs.

I'm planning to open source the code so folks can edit/revise/improve/modify to their heart's content as long as CC Share Alike license is honored (attribution to prior author(s) and share your work with the community as well). I am an open source kinda guy so that is my way.

The ATtiny84 is really a powerful little chip for this application despite it's not having a DAC (R2R and delta techniques will work here, i think I'm going with delta). Take a look at a pinout and/or datasheet and you'll see why.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in here and make mention of my project. If anyone wants a chip I'll mail it and if anyone wants source code I'll post it. See ya!

Les
p.s. if you want a pre-programmed chip it's free and I will accept a small donation to cover my costs if you have such, though it is not required.
mush
I've been following the progress on EM quietly for a while. I am super-interested in this project! Don't have much time for building nowdays, but I'm sure interested in this as well as the Karplus Strong thingies.

applause

LesHall wrote:
Hi, new here, from electro-music.com, not getting much response there as the traffic seems to have died off so I'll take the plunge in here:

Y a
a
a
a
splash!

Just recently I took on a new Arduino project. It's based on using the ATtiny84 chip to implement a lot of synth functions and crazie functions as well. Today I tried to create a CV2F with a sampled input, some config switches, and a square wave output. It worked just fine in basic form after some time wrestling with the lack of tone() function, and I just added controls and compiled it working - need to do a quick test on it tho.

The idea is to make all kinda modules so a Function Generator module would take care of converting square to sine or saw or ramp or whatever is desired. The plan is that each chip will have internal pullups on the config switches so that by default it operates in the most widely used mode (all ones on the config inputs) and you use pulldowns or pots or dividers to set other stuffs.

I'm planning to open source the code so folks can edit/revise/improve/modify to their heart's content as long as CC Share Alike license is honored (attribution to prior author(s) and share your work with the community as well). I am an open source kinda guy so that is my way.

The ATtiny84 is really a powerful little chip for this application despite it's not having a DAC (R2R and delta techniques will work here, i think I'm going with delta). Take a look at a pinout and/or datasheet and you'll see why.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in here and make mention of my project. If anyone wants a chip I'll mail it and if anyone wants source code I'll post it. See ya!

Les
p.s. if you want a pre-programmed chip it's free and I will accept a small donation to cover my costs if you have such, though it is not required.
LesHall
Oh hey that's really cool mush! It is very exciting to see others interested in my work. That's what makes it all worthwhile.

I just uploaded to the chip with all the config switches put in and I broke it! no backups doh! so now i get to play Mr. Fixit...

Les
LesHall
I got it working, have not tested control inputs. Here it is:

http://pastebin.com/41afndxB

Les
old gregg
why bother yourself with arduino and not use the barebone AVR chip ?

It isn't that hard to think in terms of registers and hardware instead of relying on the arduino plateform. IMHO it is even simpler to undestand.
LesHall
old gregg wrote:
why bother yourself with Arduino and not use the barebones AVR chip ?

It isn't that hard to think in terms of registers and hardware instead of relying on the Arduino platform. IMHO it is even simpler to understand.
A
I have to agree with you on those points, old gregg. The primary reasons for this are both personal choice and to gain acceptance by the Maker community. Arduino is huge among Makers and I am a Processing programmer for some few years now. Arduino, based on Processing, just fits right in.

For example with Arduino I can use a Metro Mini ($15) from Adafruit as a controller for my synth and easily either program it to run without a PC connected or simply upload Firmata to it for PC control by Processing, thereby adding a powerful 3D user interface that I know how to code to my system.

Others use Arduino for quadcopters, robots, 3D printers, lite-up wearables, and all manner of DIY. I know there are technical reasons to roll your own the easy way as you say, however this approach works for me.

Since it's all open sourced, there's nothing stopping you or anyone else from rewriting the code faster better cheaper in c++ or better yet Assembler. In fact, I'm kind of hoping that people will do just that. But for me, yeah, it's Arduino all the way.

Les
LesHall
Huh, that was easy to say, old gregg, back when I had completed the CV2F. Now in making the delay line, I'm finding that I have to strip off most of the functionality just to make up for the overhead of the Arduino software. All that maker and preference stuff aside, I may need to follow your advice after all! I'll give this some thought for sure...

Les
Sandrine
old gregg wrote:
why bother yourself with arduino and not use the barebone AVR chip ?

It isn't that hard to think in terms of registers and hardware instead of relying on the arduino plateform. IMHO it is even simpler to undestand.

I agree, that overhead is fine in non-time intense applications, but is totally unpredictable time-wise as nobody knows what's in it lol

The Atmega chips are very capable, but I'm into the 18fxxxx PIC chips now, rated to 40 Mhz but I've "overclocked " then to 48 Mhz, really zips along
I'm a PIC girl from the '80's so hard to change

My solution:
Use Arduino to control the PIC/user interface etc, , use PIC for the speed, together
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 4 of 5