MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Some HSS3i questions...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Some HSS3i questions...
legionhwp
Like many of you I've been very interested in the HSS3i that Bleeplaps is selling. I am a bit confused on some of it's details though. If any of you vidsynth gurus can shed some light on the following I'd appreciate it!

1. Does this process audio into a waveform or image? - From what I gather there is an audio in but it seems it "triggers" what is already going on inside the video generator. Does this act like a simple gate or does it act more like an Atari Video Music or Bitvision and actually modify the images based on the audio itself?

2. Can it use the composite out to hook up to a TV directly? - on the BL page thay say the following:

"So there’s another device required to output video?

The HSS3i is outputting a VGA signal to the converter box. This signal coming straight from the HSS3i might not work with all devices that take VGA. The converter allows any device that takes s-video, or RCA to properly display the visual glitchatude and also give us something to bend!"

Does this mean I'd need another box? If so what box do you recommend?

As another point Ideally I'd be able to hook this up to my Korg KPE. That does accept Svideo and composite but not VGA. Would I need a box for that?

3. I understand bends can be hard to describe. Does anyone have video examples of the same pattern being used with and without the extra video bend board? I am trying to figure out what that offers that the base video doesn't. Also does the midi control offer something you can't get with any of the other hardware switches, knobs, etc or does this duplicate them but allow midi control of them?

Thanks for any/all help on this. It certainly looks very cool and I am excited it comes in a kit form which is a nice affordable bonus.
brent
1. The audio in just allows you to sync the existing patterns to the source material, so it works best with drums.

2. It has an S-Video out and works very well running it straight into a TV / video capture card.

3. The bends are not overly drastic, but add different visual noises if I can describe it like that.

I haven't been able to get the MIDI to work for me yet, but I haven't worked too hard at it. As far as I can tell, the MIDI just allows you to control the knobs with CC messages.

I think this picture on the Bleep page shows some bends applied:

legionhwp
Thanks for all the answers. VERY helpful. I love these damn forums applause

I just got an email from Dr Bleep saying the Video board is actually pre-built in the kit with all SMT parts, switches, etc already installed. The "building" part is attaching wires from one board to the other as shown in this pic:

http://bleeplabs.com/hss3i-video-midi-and-bends/

If anyone has done this can you comment on how difficult this is?

The site warns that the solder pads are tiny but from what I see in the pic this seems to be fairly straightforward and the connections don't look any more difficult than, say, the bottom of a DIP IC pin.

Am I missing something or are they just being cautious for DIY builders?

I've been saving my $$ for some audio input video boxes but this kind of seems like a no brainer for us synth and video freaks. Has anyone used this *just* for video output for live shows (ie: to accompany a band or stage show?)
laserpalace
I just finished my kit last night. There is a hefty amount of soldering, and it gets pretty tight when you have to solder to the Video Board. Took me about a month to complete, but I was waiting on parts from them. If you are comfortable with soldering a 20+ component kit you should have any problems. I would say it's intermediate level but there's nothing too complex as long as you are good at identifying components and following polarity. I didn't do the midi bend, I think that might be a bit of a pain since the components are very small on video converter.

I should also note that the caution is probably more applied to soldering the A, C, K, J, F, E points. I would find it difficult to not bridge these points on accident, they are really small. None of those points are necessary to get the video portion to function though. Just tied to the bends.

Just posted this in the "Video Doodles" Thread. Hopefully not overkill, but so far I'm loving this thing.

bitSmasher
legionhwp wrote:
The site warns that the solder pads are tiny but from what I see in the pic this seems to be fairly straightforward and the connections don't look any more difficult than, say, the bottom of a DIP IC pin.

Am I missing something or are they just being cautious for DIY builders?
Yes and no, the board and video connections aren't hard but I struggled with the bend points, didn't get them working the first time and haven't bothered repairing them yet - the board is nuts enough as is, the bends aren't a necessity.

You could just do the RGB and MIDI mods and skip the bends if you're not confident. I haven't played around with MIDI yet but the RGB switches are very useful.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1