MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Famous fonts used at synthesizers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Famous fonts used at synthesizers
ultrashock
The idea of such topic raised long ago when I studied graphic editors and played with lots of fonts and got some interesting observations I'd like to share to public and there is nothing to hide.
First of all I'd like to say that the whole information below presented only for fun or just in information/educational purposes but could be interesting for wigglers who are familiar with graphic arts and so on. Most of the fonts below are strictly copyrighted as a font or as a part of the logos themselves so please:
1) purchase them if you use them
2) don't rip others artwork.
Everything is up to your conscience.

This topic also was inspired by some other topics from this forum on which I will make some links.
Your comments and additions to this topic are also welcome as well!

Let's start.

1. Buchla fonts were discussed at this and this topics. My observations came to the following:
The labels are written with:
Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Medium-Condensed-Italic

Earlier it was considered it was likely FF Hydra

The caps text in the the headlines and bottom text is Futura

Eardrill uses ordinary Arial font and its species.

However finally it was found it was Grotesque No. 9 SH Bold Condensed Italic OT (still with some letters changed).
More info here:
http://myblogitsfullofstars.blogspot.co.at/2012/04/font-of-uncertainty .html

Furthur goes the next post...
ultrashock
Roland fonts... Started to discussed here
The most earlier SH synthesizers had a SYNTHESIZER inscription made in oldstyle font called Data70 from ITC corporation. Probably some can find other fonts which are very similar the looks like Data70 since were copied from it. Generally, this is typish 70-80s font smile

Then some TR-machines like 606 or 808 began to produce and Data70 was changed to Serif Gothic from from the same ITC corporation.
The famous "Computer controlled" was written on everything but also used at some System100 modules

Some letters like 'e' were changed, probably, due to copyrighted purposes.

In 1984 famous TR909 arised - the logo was written just in similar and slightly changed font as in TERMINATOR movie logo which was produced the same year
The inscriptions with this font type we can also find at some D50 or JV-series synthesizesers

The inscriptions like 'Drumatix' or 'Bassline' probably were drawn from scratch.

The later font used in Juno series is so popular and that's why worth the separate post.
ultrashock
The later arised Juno series seems use very popular at those times Microgramma D family fonts. Is also known in cyrilic adaptation as 'Micra font' as easily being found and downloadable at google

That was really interesting how many logos were incorporated with this font!

and de-ja-vu:
ultrashock
Oberheim logo font seems like a bit changed Bauer Bodoni Black
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/bauer-bodoni/black/

The labels on OB-x above and on Access Virus synthesizers (pre-Ti) were made with Hadgel Gothic

Sequential Circuits used Amecan Uncial font at their company logo and in some products like Pro-One or Prophet (profit? smile)(one more funny ad)

It was very interesting to see how new Prophet'08 from DSI incorporated same style logo but this type font called Celt family

Roland MC-505 advertising 'At home with grovebox' uses Dom font family

to be continue...
Yoozer
Blacet has an awful font IMHO - Cooper Black.

Oberheim uses Friz Quadrata for the Xpander.

All regular labels - not logos - are usually Helvetica or a variant.
Babaluma
my fave of all time has to be the sequential circuits one used in the late 70's/early 80's:

looks very futhark rune/lord of the rings.
CJ Miller
ultrashock wrote:

The caps text in the the headlines and bottom text is Futura

Early Serge (1973-1976?) also used Futura, if I am not mistaken.

Later Serges have been printed in ITC Eras

chrisso
Interesting discussion.
Love all these different fonts.
bodo
Cwejman uses FF Din Bold
http://dinfont.com/specimen/

Doepfer uses Avant Garde Gothic
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/itc-avant-garde-gothic/
nlaudadio
As a former typesetter (digital and letterpress) and always synthdork, I heartily approve of this thread.
negativspace
nlaudadio wrote:
As a former typesetter (digital and letterpress) and always synthdork, I heartily approve of this thread.

As a professional designer and one who loves typography, I concur. thumbs up
ultrashock
okay, let's move forward.

DOEPFER font at logo seems like a bit changed 7LED font

MOTM font for all labels is Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Condensed

Observing the whole Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ font family I noticed that
Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Medium-Condensed-Italic was exactly used at all Bucha stuff

and it was NOT FF Hydra-book as was said above.

pittsburgh modular font uses
Impact-Label
but there are also close ones I found are from the PRINTF family and Laber Gun, but still it's not exactly they.

Analog solutions often uses OCR#One font:

The logotype of Analog solutions seems like TapeGun free one or Architype family commercial one but previously it was Bank Gothic from the 1930s...

malekko heavy industry/Wiard font - Libra regular

Corsynth uses Xirod font
metasonix
Metasonix uses Copperplate.

Why? Because. razz
rico loverde
I really like this thread
cbm
ultrashock wrote:
Eardrill uses ordinary Arial font and its species.

As does the Buchla 200e.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
planB?
wintchil
Many thanks for this thread! nanners
ultrashock
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
planB?

I consider PlanB uses the same Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ font family as MOTM and pre-200e Bucha for labels and Eagle Book true type used in logo.
Babaluma
my favourite font is called "dungeon", i wish someone would use it on a synth! i have my OS and all my apps using it, it's on my website and my business card! wink

http://www.fonts101.com/fonts/view/Graffiti/56682/Dungeon.aspx

mjsemtex
nlaudadio wrote:

while i enjoy the examples, may i add...

they're not fonts!
Zenn
It's painfully clear most of these designs choice were done by electro/synth freaks and not graphic designers. (Pittsburg...please cry ) However beeing a general-purpose nerd myself...I do like all those sci-fi typefaces smile
ultrashock
Zenn wrote:
It's painfully clear most of these designs choice were done by electro/synth freaks and not graphic designers. (Pittsburg...please cry )
btw, there was some old modular from which the Pittsburgh was inspired itself most likely... I saw the news about Vienna technishen museum (matrixsynth post) and then I shot this modular myself: big resolution photo with some modules very similar like in Pittsburgh style. woah
probably, lots of lab equipment was labeled in such way back in time, but the modular identification is still needed!
Yoozer
Babaluma wrote:
my favourite font is called "dungeon"

Actually, that'd be Serpentine. (or Boost SSK wink). The bold version is used for the Quasimidi Polymorph and Rave-O-Lution 309.

I'm missing a famous typeface that was used for the Minimoog and Andromeda - Century Gothic.
Babaluma
so how come one font can have three different names then? how are you supposed to know what the original is? i always knew it as dungeon (since i found it on the deviant art site around 2001) and have been using it ever since then. surprised to know there are different versions!
ultrashock
Babaluma wrote:
so how come one font can have three different names then? how are you supposed to know what the original is? i always knew it as dungeon (since i found it on the deviant art site around 2001) and have been using it ever since then. surprised to know there are different versions!

I believe that preliminary this font was developed as Serpentine family by Monotype Imaging in 80s. But very often some designers redraw or remake these fonts from scratch just do not have problems with copyrights.
As a result there are lots of almost same outlines typefaces but with less letters set, worse kerning etc.
For example, this is a freeware version of Serpentine aka TrSah Dungeon . Some interesting note that Eaglefonts website do not shares copyrighted font faces.

Concerning the MOOG font face - Century Gothic Bold used for labels.

The logo I believe it was probable handrawn first then someone make some moogish fontfaces. BTW, Clavia' Nord leads has very similar outlines as Moog smile
To sum it up, there are a few fonts similar to moog (minimoog!) logo...
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/elemeno/woollcott/
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/activesphere/kathleen-sans/bold/
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/proportional-lime/blacktie/bold/
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/burghal/diode/black/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8