MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plague Bearer low-output woes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Author Plague Bearer low-output woes
tragedybysyntax
So now that I've added the trimpot and have balls of gain...... at the least you think removing that transistor will really set it apart from the older version? I'm game for that! smile
computer controlled
So what kind of tone does this early one have compared to the newest version?
tragedybysyntax
Not to sound like a dick but at this point I have no idea what the latest version is even supposed to sound like, heh. Even after the gain boost i still like the original alot more.
modularplanner
I'm a little confused regarding my PB Rev 2.3. I dont know why i didnt say something earlier, but I've neglected this module since day 1 because of it.

I'm just putting a sawtooth wave through it from an the a-110 and then directly out of the PB into the a-132-3 vca.

Input level on the PB is at 3 o'clock <--- is this too high, what should it be at normally?
Gain 9 o'clock

The problem is now matter how I turn the knobs I'm hearing the affected sound but at the same time here the dry sawtooth too. It's like its passing a copy of the input wave straight dry out of of the system along witht the fitered sound seriously, i just don't get it

edit: another odd thing.Both low and high on the PB set to 12 o'clock. I put 2 tri waves set to low speed from the 143-3 quad lfo into both low and high cv sockets. Low is being modulated, high isnt. when I tweak the high knob its is making a noticable difference though.
flight
tragedybysyntax wrote:
So now that I've added the trimpot and have balls of gain...... at the least you think removing that transistor will really set it apart from the older version? I'm game for that! s:mile:

It's already set apart, removing the transistor brings it back closer to the original.

computer controlled wrote:
So what kind of tone does this early one have compared to the newest version?

The r2.2 & r2.3 sound pretty much identical and the r3.2 is very similar, but more so (if that makes any sense), with more presence in the midrange and a bit brighter on the highs, from what I've been told.

tragedybysyntax wrote:
Not to sound like a dick but at this point I have no idea what the latest version is even supposed to sound like, heh. Even after the gain boost i still like the original alot more.

I understand, that's why I spent the time to figure out the mods! All of the affected r3.1 units are under a voluntary recall - if you don't like 'em, I'll swap 'em out. Just send it back to me & I'll get a new one on it's way.

modularplanner wrote:
I'm a little confused regarding my PB Rev 2.3. I dont know why i didnt say something earlier, but I've neglected this module since day 1 because of it.

I'm just putting a sawtooth wave through it from an the a-110 and then directly out of the PB into the a-132-3 vca.

Input level on the PB is at 3 o'clock
Gain 9 o'clock

The problem is now matter how I turn the knobs I'm hearing the affected sound but at the same time here the dry sawtooth too. It's like its passing a copy of the input wave straight dry out of of the system along witht the fitered sound seriously, i just don't get it

At first thought, it sounds like it 's being overdriven. Try attenuating the input and we'll go from there.
modularplanner
ok yep thats helped I think but the CV High sockets dont seem to be working. Gonna pull it out and see if anything is amiss.

Edit: nothing visible seems borked. Must say its a really nice sound though razz
flight
*phew*
Damn glad to hear that worked! And that you like it! w00tz!

High CV: Try turning the High control all the way down, and the Low and Gain around 12:00. The result is most dramatic with a square wave signal for the audio input, of course, but it should be plenty noticeable on a saw as well.
If there's still no effect, the jack(s) may be bad. If you are able, grab an ohmmeter and make sure that there's no continuity between the tip terminal and ground.
modularplanner
ok im a bit crap with multimeters, pretty much all ive used it for is testing resistors and probing voltages. how to i test the continuity?
flight
Usually they will have a symbol at the bottom range of the resistance settings, it is usually like "◄))", meaning it beeps, and it will beep if continuity is detected. Failing that, set it to its lowest setting and check for 0 ohms.
modularplanner
Ok I have that symbol on here, where do i stick the multimeter probes to test this?
Uncopyrightable
modularplanner wrote:
Ok I have that symbol on here, where do i stick the multimeter probes to test this?

If I'm following the conversation correctly, check for continuity between the tip and ground ( + & - ) of the "High" CV Input.

When checking continuity with the meter I dont think you need to worry about matching the pos and neg probes to anything appropriate, any orientation should give same result.

Someone may want to agree with me before you take my word on any of this.

razz
flight
I agree!
And the easiest way to do this would be to check it at the connector. One probe to the high terminal and the other to one of the ground pins on the power connector
modularplanner
ok check if im doing this right, Im touching the red probe to just inside the high cv socket and when i touch the black probe to any of the middle 3 pins of the 5 pin power connector it beeps, if I touch it to the outer 2 pins it doesnt? is that right?
flight
Nope, the entire barrel is grounded, which makes it very hard to touch just the tip contact. I meant you chould touch the red probe to the white 2-pin connector at the PCB. The positions are labelled directly on the PCB, so it's easy to spot. Just stick the probe in the top where the wire goes in - you should be able to see the metal contact that the wire is pressed into, touch the probe to that (and the black probe to any of the middle power pins).
modularplanner
ok i gotcha, no beeps when i do this.
modularplanner
ooh weird its working now. wonder if I pushed the wire in when i stuck the probe in there. Nothing like a good probing to work wonders.
flight
sweet.

Yeah, I've been told the connectors can work loose in shipping sometimes & just need a good wiggle.

Sounds like "poke & wiggle" is always worth a try. wink
FlyAgaric
hello there! from Russia with passion. new to community, and to synthDIY also.
since i couldn't start a new thread due to my n00bness (yes the postcount) i decided to ask a question in this one. seems like flight keeps checking it out.
intro:
i receieved my two PBs recently and threw them in a nice case, still a LOT free space inside so i may consider stuffing it with more crazy gizmos hehe...
oh yes and the power supply will still fit in.
tried with an atari punk console and its a blast! more than that, goa trance sounds insanely wicked through it, too SlayerBadger!

The question is how long will this combo (PBx2) last on a couple of 9V batteries switched as +/-9V?
flight
Welcome FlyAgaric! I do try to keep an eye on my subforum, so good call. smile

That sounds like a fun little setup you have there. Good question though - I have to say that I don't know! oops Would you keep track and report back on how long they last?
FlyAgaric
sure thing!
but i don't think it will be of any use as i am going to add some more simple modules to this case so the batteries will run out faster.
anyway.
ps. the knobs look really cool and feel great! though they are a hell to remove once you have them in place. yay for toughness!
Slomen
I seem to be having the same problem as described in the first post, but I have a rev. 3.2. Got it second hand.

It´s like the gain knob doesnt do very much..
HeWhoWantsJeans
Slomen wrote:
I seem to be having the same problem as described in the first post, but I have a rev. 3.2. Got it second hand.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'll contact Flight after work and see if I can't scare him into this thread.
Cthulhu
flight
Slomen wrote:

Hey Slomen,
Sorry to hear your having problems with it. Would you explain in a bit more detail please? It sounds like you have a rev 3.2 with low output and minimal manual gain control, anything else?
Slomen
Hey Flight!

I´m not sure if it has a low output, it matches the sound directly from a sound source when the Input Level is at 9 o´clock. But the gain only has a slight effect from 5 o´clock to full CW, then it adds a little resonance.
flight
Slomen wrote:
Hey Flight!

I´m not sure if it has a low output, it matches the sound directly from a sound source when the Input Level is at 9 o´clock. But the gain only has a slight effect from 5 o´clock to full CW, then it adds a little resonance.
Here's me apologizing for my delay in response again, whee! I just moved to a new place and have been very busy.
ANYWAY, Hmmm, that doesn't tell me much. Could you post some samples showing clean input and then – with High and Low at 50% – with increasing Gain?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Page 3 of 3