MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioWiggler Radio   SearchSearch   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsBlog & News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 

I Dream Of Wires' West Coast interviews complete !Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires
Author I Dream Of Wires' West Coast interviews complete !

s o l v e n t









An update: Myself and the film's director Robert have just returned from an epic two-week visit to the West Coast, taking in NAMM, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Vancouver. We managed to get more than 40 new interviews on film, and I think you all are going to be very happy and surprised by some of the amazing people we were able to interview! Plenty of MWs & even a few electronic music icons.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to sit down with us for an interview, and to others who helped us out along the way. And for those of you who have contributed to our IndieGoGo fundraising campaign: a big thanks to all of you for helping to make this trip possible! New photos will be added the "Artists and Participants" album, on our Facebook page, over the coming weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106166186145438.15358.106157 466146310&type=3
 

grantrichter









I have been at this for 40 years. If you want to talk my number is 414-769-0791.

Grant Richter

s o l v e n t wrote:
An update: Myself and the film's director Robert have just returned from an epic two-week visit to the West Coast, taking in NAMM, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Vancouver. We managed to get more than 40 new interviews on film, and I think you all are going to be very happy and surprised by some of the amazing people we were able to interview! Plenty of MWs & even a few electronic music icons.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to sit down with us for an interview, and to others who helped us out along the way. And for those of you who have contributed to our IndieGoGo fundraising campaign: a big thanks to all of you for helping to make this trip possible! New photos will be added the "Artists and Participants" album, on our Facebook page, over the coming weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106166186145438.15358.106157 466146310&type=3

 

s o l v e n t









Hi Grant,

We are well aware of you and Wiard - however we are conducting all of our interviews in person and don't have the budget to travel all over the US for interviews. NAMM was the best opportunity for us to talk to many manufacturers in 1 spot. We did interview Paul from Malekko BTW.

Jason

grantrichter wrote:
I have been at this for 40 years. If you want to talk my number is 414-769-0791.

Grant Richter

s o l v e n t wrote:
An update: Myself and the film's director Robert have just returned from an epic two-week visit to the West Coast, taking in NAMM, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Vancouver. We managed to get more than 40 new interviews on film, and I think you all are going to be very happy and surprised by some of the amazing people we were able to interview! Plenty of MWs & even a few electronic music icons.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to sit down with us for an interview, and to others who helped us out along the way. And for those of you who have contributed to our IndieGoGo fundraising campaign: a big thanks to all of you for helping to make this trip possible! New photos will be added the "Artists and Participants" album, on our Facebook page, over the coming weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106166186145438.15358.106157 466146310&type=3

 

vav









Call that man and get an audio interview!
 

jbartee









vav wrote:
Call that man and get an audio interview!

+1

I understand the desire to use only in-person interviews, but perhaps an exception could be made for Grant.
 

dude









agreed! easy video would be wiard porn pans and voila!
 

amnesia









yes do that interview but put his voice through a ringmod.
 

CursedFrogurt









Hire an animator and interview Cartoon Grant!
 

s o l v e n t









jbartee wrote:
vav wrote:
Call that man and get an audio interview!

+1

I understand the desire to use only in-person interviews, but perhaps an exception could be made for Grant.


By that logic, we could go on for years with this... There are just endless amounts of people (Roger Arrick, John Blacet, Ken Stone, etc etc etc) that we could or should talk to, but by limiting ourselves to people that we interview in person, not only do we maintain a high quality and consistent look to the film, we also keep things semi-reasonable (100+ hours of interview footage that we have could easily double, triple or more if we talked to everyone); the goal is to actually make a film out of all of this!
 

before









s o l v e n t wrote:


By that logic, we could go on for years with this...


Do it right the first time or don't do it all.....

+1 for something with Grant he is way to important to be left out.
 

jbartee









s o l v e n t wrote:
jbartee wrote:
vav wrote:
Call that man and get an audio interview!

+1

I understand the desire to use only in-person interviews, but perhaps an exception could be made for Grant.


By that logic, we could go on for years with this... There are just endless amounts of people (Roger Arrick, John Blacet, Ken Stone, etc etc etc) that we could or should talk to, but by limiting ourselves to people that we interview in person, not only do we maintain a high quality and consistent look to the film, we also keep things semi-reasonable (100+ hours of interview footage that we have could easily double, triple or more if we talked to everyone); the goal is to actually make a film out of all of this!


First of all, I just want to say that I'm super excited you're doing this film at all. Also it's obviously your show, your rules, and (it goes completely without saying, but just to be explicit) I accept any decision you guys make as necessary for the good of the project. Especially as concerns the look and feel of the film. If you just don't want any audio interviews at all, I consider that explanation definitive.

But just because I really wanna see Grant and others represented in this, I'll float out a short, friendly counter-argument:

The list of modular synth manufacturers is finite and in fact quite small. According to the wiki, which is not entirely accurate but is a good ballpark, there are 37 manufacturers in the USA / Canada. Of those 37, only a handful (perhaps 10 or 15?) are veteran designers who have, as Grant put it, been at it for 40+ years.

The suggestion to include Grant is hardly arbitrary; there isn't an infinite regress of veteran designers, so the slippery slope appeal seems a little out of place. The "exception" would hopefully apply equally to Roger Arrick, John Blacet, and Ken Stone. I think these guys would make almost anybody's shortlist of folks we'd want to see in a documentary about modular synthesizers.
 

ignatius









phone interview.. record it.. you need something to roll over the credits at the end.

or maybe you could do a skype/facetime/video interview over the net?
 

mono-poly









Coolest designers don't visit NAMM Dead Banana
 

ignatius









mono-poly wrote:
Coolest designers don't visit NAMM Dead Banana


still a good opportunity to talk to people especially when they are on a limited budget for travel/expenses. there was a good bunch at NAMM this year... macbeth, makenoise, malekko, TTA etc... pretty cool imo smile
 

mono-poly









Sure but a lot of my favorite designers don't visit it.
 

vav









Not interviewing Grant would be a disservice to the modular community, considering his years of knowledge and design, his impact resonates (ha!) throughout.
 

Starrefision









it just occurred to me....
you guys got the last interview with Richard Lainhart.
 

s o l v e n t









jbartee wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:
jbartee wrote:
vav wrote:
Call that man and get an audio interview!

+1

I understand the desire to use only in-person interviews, but perhaps an exception could be made for Grant.


By that logic, we could go on for years with this... There are just endless amounts of people (Roger Arrick, John Blacet, Ken Stone, etc etc etc) that we could or should talk to, but by limiting ourselves to people that we interview in person, not only do we maintain a high quality and consistent look to the film, we also keep things semi-reasonable (100+ hours of interview footage that we have could easily double, triple or more if we talked to everyone); the goal is to actually make a film out of all of this!


First of all, I just want to say that I'm super excited you're doing this film at all. Also it's obviously your show, your rules, and (it goes completely without saying, but just to be explicit) I accept any decision you guys make as necessary for the good of the project. Especially as concerns the look and feel of the film. If you just don't want any audio interviews at all, I consider that explanation definitive.

But just because I really wanna see Grant and others represented in this, I'll float out a short, friendly counter-argument:

The list of modular synth manufacturers is finite and in fact quite small. According to the wiki, which is not entirely accurate but is a good ballpark, there are 37 manufacturers in the USA / Canada. Of those 37, only a handful (perhaps 10 or 15?) are veteran designers who have, as Grant put it, been at it for 40+ years.

The suggestion to include Grant is hardly arbitrary; there isn't an infinite regress of veteran designers, so the slippery slope appeal seems a little out of place. The "exception" would hopefully apply equally to Roger Arrick, John Blacet, and Ken Stone. I think these guys would make almost anybody's shortlist of folks we'd want to see in a documentary about modular synthesizers.


First of all, I would like to point something out: This is not a documentary about modular synth manufacturers - they are a part of the story, of course, but it is not all about them. To try to include every manufacturer that has made a significant contribution to the modular world is not feasible for us, and ultimately, most of the interviews would not make it into the film if we did so; there are only so many interviews that can be incorporated into a feature-length film. I don't think that the suggestion to include Grant is arbitrary; I recognize the importance of his work & I do apologize if my response seemed disrespectful. There are Wiard modules in several peoples' racks in the film, so his work is represented in that regard. I'm not sayng it's out of the question that an opportunity to interview Grant may not come up, but at this point it doesn't seem very likely. Thank you Grant for reaching out - I really do appreciate that and respect your work.

Jason
 

jbartee









Fair enough! Serious props to you guys for taking on a project of this size. I know it must be a real labor of love, and I can't wait to see what you put together.
 

dougt









While in WI you could interview Rex at STS. I'm sure you'd get enough for a couple bonus DVDs...
 

dan_k









dougt wrote:
While in WI you could interview Rex at STS. I'm sure you'd get enough for a couple bonus DVDs...


And boy am I looking forward to my bonus DVDs with the full interviews!!! screaming goo yo
 

HueMonContact









I personally would love to see an interview with Grant in this film...
I understand the constraints with having to keep the hours down etc.
But if it comes down to not being able to fly you and your crew out to interview him because of financial reasons would be a shame . Maybe the wigglers could do some kind of fundraiser to cover the cost to get you guys out there.
I think an interview with Grant would be awesome for the film.

Just my 2 cents

Excellent job with shedding light on the modular synth community with this film. I can't wait to see it.

-Shiro
 

suitandtieguy









our story is large. expecting any one film-maker to explore it all is completely unreasonable.
 

metasonix









Thanks for the camera time, Jason. If you can get him to meet you, Grant Richter would be an obvious interviewee. But since you obviously have far too much footage already, it's your choice.

That modular synth "renaissance" is the story. That should be the primary item, not interviews with people. They will help to illuminate the story.

All of you, wanna help? Donate to the project.
 

chrisso









I'd pay good money to see a Rex Probe interview.
OK, I can totally understand Solvent's point.

All I can say is, Probe was one of a tiny number that kept modular synthesis going, and available outside of the used/vintage market.
I don't think many had any idea modular would once again explode, but he kept STS going when everyone else was buying D50's and Akai S900's.
 
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires
Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group