MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

WMD Geiger Counter is a NOISE SYNTH!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author WMD Geiger Counter is a NOISE SYNTH!
insomniyack
Just bought one of these from Analogue Haven and am very impressed with it! It is basically a NOISE SYNTH and really is much more than an effects pedal. I am running synths and vocals into it and topping it off with a Lexicon reverb and the result is amazing! Random clicking noises, evolving textures, and screaming digital destruction...and this is with NOTHING PLUGGED INTO IT!!

It sounds like you're playing with a dusty old analog synth that has been kicked down the stairs and not getting enough power to operate! It sounds random and has alot of knobs and switches on it too for the size! Sometimes it's as if you are playing through an old radio station or listening to a crackling record and if you are looking for something to add a background drone or texture to your music this is it! It really is my find of 2009 and I recommend it to everyone looking to get a noise synth!

When I saw WMD on it, I typed that in online, and it brought up WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION lol

It actually stands for the maker of the syn---I mean effects pedal but it definately is a WEAPON of MASS DESTRUCTION too! Ha ha!

Hats off to William Mathewson...this is really a new sound and the wavetable idea is insane!!
Uncopyrightable
you must post some samples! please hyper

Ive been looking at that thing on and off for a while.
Mood Organ
+1 - would love to hear samples of this
insomniyack
I would post some samples but I have no idea how to do this. Can I post it directly on this forum or does it have to be hosted somewhere?
sandyb
insomniyack wrote:
I would post some samples but I have no idea how to do this. Can I post it directly on this forum or does it have to be hosted somewhere?

you can post directly to the forum. click "Post Reply" at the bottom of the thread and under the space for typing your message you'll see the "Attachment Posting Control Panel" which will let you upload your demos. looking forward to hearing them.

edit: it would be worth reading this thread from his high wigglerness muff on the subject as well:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1348

sandy
insomniyack
Ok when I get home tonight I'll record a little bit of it...

How long can the sample be?
sandyb
insomniyack wrote:
Ok when I get home tonight I'll record a little bit of it...

How long can the sample be?

afaik there's not a limit.
Muff Wiggler
nope, no limit! upload whatever you want, as long as it's not violating someone's copyright, another person's work etc.
insomniyack
So what I'll record is the WMD Geiger Counter through a Lexicon MX200 Reverb.

This is with NO AUDIO INPUT! Just the pure sound from the unit itself!

Now I just got this yesterday so I really don't know what I'm doing so far so this is just me messing around with it...no processing...no compression...
insomniyack
it's coming soon...
Muff Wiggler
argh, super sorry cry

that happens to a really small number of users...are you on firefox? can you try a different browser?

if not, I can set you up with manual FTP upload, it's a bit more complex and not integrated into the forum though, have you any experience with ftp?
Pockets McCoy
I'll try to put up some samples sometime next week too, because I'm also a fool for the Geiger Counter. Mmm...fizzy mathematical destruction... Lotsa Love

I'm also going to have to give it a try as a noise box, because I haven't ever even though to see if it'd make noise without an input. And one can never have enough noise boxes...
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:
argh, super sorry cry

that happens to a really small number of users...are you on firefox? can you try a different browser?

if not, I can set you up with manual FTP upload, it's a bit more complex and not integrated into the forum though, have you any experience with ftp?

uhg, i'm getting that too!
surachai
I've spent some time with this pedal and holy crap, it was really hard to walk away from it at Big City Music. It basically sounds like the end all of bit crushers. Reminds me of a crunchier hardware version of ohmboyz.
insomniyack
...the transmission is complete...

twisted !ENJOY THE NOISE! twisted

sandyb
i embedded the video for you insomniyak. hope that's ok.

sandy
insomniyack
Pretty wide range of dirty sounds wouldn't you say? It'd be great for background ambience on a track or roughing up some sounds that are a little too clean!

hihi I love this thing!
insomniyack
No opinions?
Mood Organ
I think those phased noise swashes sound killer
insomniyack
Yeah this thing is perfect for sampling... Very happy with my purchase!
insomniyack
I got my demo on the WMD website!! SlayerBadger!

http://wmdevices.com/gcsoundsamples.php
droolmaster0
Scream of financial pain. Ok. One of these is on the way. Got some stuff from Audible Disease, won a teaspoon, and am placing a order for multiple items from Trogotronic. I'm out of control. Sold some good shit to pull this off.

I can't believe that I hadn't looked at these 'little' pedal type devices before. Damn they are fun. I hate having fun. It's expensive.
insomniyack
Yeah for us synthesists they are great little devices to make sound with...

They are still more affordable than picking up a new tabletop or keyboard synth and offer sound possibilities that I have never heard come out of a traditional synth without adding alot of effects and dirtying up the sound...

I've been on a little synth kick lately and I got the WMD Geiger Counter, the Audible Disease Dimentia DM-1, and the Bugbrand Board Weevil just in the last month and LOVE THEM ALL!!

Nothing like getting 3 brand new analog synths for less than $600! Imagine if you just bought 3 new TRADITIONAL synths...you'd be out a LOT more!

Oh and check out my video for the Board Weevil under the Bugbrand Forum for another must-have device! Doesn't process sound like the Geiger Counter does but makes alot of cool sounds!! Don't put your credit card away just yet...lol

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5118
droolmaster0
ah, old hat. I picked up a board weevil a couple of weeks ago.
suboptimal
Yeah, I'm pretty bored, too. Mr. Green

I've been on a crazy buying spree of noisy bits lately. Picked up a Board Weevil, Sleepdrone5, Little Boy Blue . . . but I'm going to see if I can patch up something in the Micromodular to stop my gas for this one. Wish me luck . . .
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2