MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cheap Mini Cables
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Cheap Mini Cables
synthetic
Any good sources? I found 2 footers for $0.90 in quantity of 10 or more, $0.65 for 100 or more.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CB-352/117/2%22#39;_CABLE,_ MONO_3.5MM_PHONE_PLUGS_BOTH_ENDS_.html

Here are 3 footers for $1.59:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=M%2DM%2D3&off=1&sort=p rod

Mono 3.5mm cables start at $3 at the Haven. Maybe I'll buy some Gucci cables for the audio signal, but 20 of the $0.90 cables seems like a decent investment for CV at least. And I can't imagine THAT much difference going through 24 inches of wire...
zerosum
Quote:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CB-352/117/2%22#39;_CABLE,_ MONO_3.5MM_PHONE_PLUGS_BOTH_ENDS_.html


That looks pretty hard to beat(pricewise)
Last place I bought 1/8th" cables was from ad inifitum:
http://alexiles.com/PC35mm.html
Kwote
synthetic wrote:
Any good sources? I found 2 footers for $0.90 in quantity of 10 or more, $0.65 for 100 or more.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CB-352/117/2%22#39;_CABLE,_ MONO_3.5MM_PHONE_PLUGS_BOTH_ENDS_.html

Here are 3 footers for $1.59:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=M%2DM%2D3&off=1&sort=p rod

Mono 3.5mm cables start at $3 at the Haven. Maybe I'll buy some Gucci cables for the audio signal, but 20 of the $0.90 cables seems like a decent investment for CV at least. And I can't imagine THAT much difference going through 24 inches of wire...


looks totally worth the risk to me. for that cheap it'd be worth seeing how well they work out. probably just fine is my assumption. thanks for the links!!!

what's a cheapo easy way to color code em?
Chuck E. Jesus
Kwote wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Any good sources? I found 2 footers for $0.90 in quantity of 10 or more, $0.65 for 100 or more.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CB-352/117/2%22#39;_CABLE,_ MONO_3.5MM_PHONE_PLUGS_BOTH_ENDS_.html

Here are 3 footers for $1.59:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=M%2DM%2D3&off=1&sort=p rod

Mono 3.5mm cables start at $3 at the Haven. Maybe I'll buy some Gucci cables for the audio signal, but 20 of the $0.90 cables seems like a decent investment for CV at least. And I can't imagine THAT much difference going through 24 inches of wire...


looks totally worth the risk to me. for that cheap it'd be worth seeing how well they work out. probably just fine is my assumption. thanks for the links!!!

what's a cheapo easy way to color code em?

i'd like to know how those cables work out, i need some longer ones....
synthetic
Zerosum's source just put on colored shrinkwrap, that's pretty cheap. Just slip the shrink tubing on there and shrink it with a gun or a hairdryer (not as hot and blows too much, but it'll work). They also sell colored O-rings, perhaps they'll fit with some luck.
synthetic
At the other cable extreme:

http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/cable/cable.htm

Unfortunately these haven't been available for years. Perhaps someday soon.
Chuck E. Jesus
synthetic wrote:
Zerosum's source just put on colored shrinkwrap, that's pretty cheap. Just slip the shrink tubing on there and shrink it with a gun or a hairdryer (not as hot and blows too much, but it'll work). They also sell colored O-rings, perhaps they'll fit with some luck.


now you got me thinking, i have a bunch of 1/8" plugs around here somewhere...
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
wow, thanks smile

im all over these prices!!! lol
Muff Wiggler
synthetic wrote:
At the other cable extreme:

http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/cable/cable.htm

Unfortunately these haven't been available for years. Perhaps someday soon.


there was - just yesterday and today - a big discussion on the MOTM list about how a lot of the stooge cables have been failing recently. Wrong type of flux was used when making them or something like that....
plord
I've got 100 of the All Electronics 2 footers. They're my primary cable, actually, although I do have the 6" from AH and some homegrown Blacet cables.

The All Electronics cables are great. They come tightly folded, but after hanging in a cable rack for a couple weeks the kinks smooth out. I haven't gotten a bad one, yet. For $0.65 you can't touch 'em.

I should get a bunch of shrink wrap and a heat gun, though. The sea of black spaghetti is hard to handle sometimes.
consumed
even though it seems like stupid prices, i went ahead and sprung for a couple handfuls of the 12" mogami patch cables from AH. yeah they are expensive! but i made so many close connections between modules with 2' cables and the spaghetti just made it so difficult to trace a patch if i left it alone for a couple days. the 12" cables are *really nice, look good, and i can trace patches much easier now.

i can definitely say that tracing a patch with black, long 1/8" patchcords is far more difficult compared than 1/4" format, especially when using no colors.
Chuck E. Jesus
i have a bunch of mini jacks, i want to make my own patch cords, but i'm not sure what kind of cable to order (i looked everywhere local)...when i go to Newarks site i find this: http://www.newark.com/cable-coaxial and i am confused...

everytime i made cables in the past i used what was available and appropriate from existing reels, and the Belden cable i have now is a little too heavy duty for 1/8" patch cords...

anyone?
consumed
i made some of my own cables.
there are miniplugs that take mini cable, and miniplugs that take normal cable, so it depends on your plug design.

i got my parts and cable from here:

http://www.redco.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=77&cat=Canare+Instrume nt+Cable
or
http://www.redco.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=78&cat=Mogami+Instrume nt+Cable

heres the mini plug that uses the large cable
http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=306

and the one that uses the mini cable
http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=305


i used the mini plug for large cable for my 1/4" - 1/8" adaptor cables.
they are a bitch to solder.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group