MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Publison DHM 89 B2 and KB2000 info/feedback please
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Publison DHM 89 B2 and KB2000 info/feedback please
Votek_Mendo
Anybody who own, owned, heard, played, knows people who have one and would like to give me some feedback on these rare items?

I have the opportunity to buy both of them in perfect condition and would like to get as much feedback before buying them.

I'm more into weird electroninc music, electroacoustic, autechre type of sound if that can help.

Ive red about everything i could found on the net and wtched all clips and audio also. I'm looking for personal feedback.

I have around 24u of Euro in my studio and a 18u Buchla.

I also read that : there is a multi pin connector which will allow for CV control of a lot of front panel controls. This can be modded to play samples pitched on a keyboard. I was wondering if a CV panel could be made to control the availlable parameters with my modular? That would be sick.

Here's some video of the system in action:
http://vimeo.com/search/videos/search:publison/st/93b9bb6a/page:1/sort  :relevant/format:thumbnail

Hope you guys can help. we're not worthy

Thanks
Votek_Mendo
I tought people seriously, i just don't get it knew gears around here
hmmm.....
MindMachine
Your link has expired. Publison is very high end expensive professional gear. If you ever have a chance to buy some, you probably should. Publison and AMS produced some of the best and most high grade versatile and esoteric units in the 80's.

You should buy them and if they do not work for you, sell them here at Muffs. I dream of Publison/AMS/Ursa Major... etc.
budz
You'll probably find people who know the Publison units at gearslutz. All I know about them is that they were used in lots of 80s records and they might be difficult to service due to custom digital parts. This might be wildly uninformed though, best to check on gearslutz I reckon.

Side note: no offence but I don't really understand why people get annoyed when no-one replies to a post? It's not like there's some kind of guarantee of an answer on the internet seriously, i just don't get it

Side note to side note: I'm not really looking for an answer to the above, it's more a rhetorical question. Just seen it happen a fair bit recently hmmm.....
pulse_divider
I had the DHM and it sounded pretty cool while working but one day randomly stopped.
Aside from Publison themselves, there is nobody who will work on these. I think that schematics actually exist out in the wild now, but all the ICs are sanded. It's a big complicated dense machine with a lot of circuitry, so stumbling upon an easy fix while poking around is highly unlikely.
Votek_Mendo
^
Do you still have it?
pulse_divider
Nope, sorry... I sold it as is on eBay earlier this year.
Unless you're an electronics genius who likes solving complex problems, I'd recommend against getting one.
ndkent
Thought I'd resurrect this -

Perhaps someone knows more?

The DHM keyboard interface seems pretty analog to me so I thought it was really asking to have a breakout box in lieu of the much more rare KB2000.

Really haven't gotten past ordering a connector (easy enough).

I asked around on another board recently and interestingly Roginator posted a different list of pinouts than the one I had in a manual. I'll see what really connected on mine and see which makes sense. In any event, take this with a grain of salt since it might be production revisions or something, but to me it looks really exciting to (carefully) send CV to -

1. +15v 100ma PS for external use
2. Digital ground
3. Frequency Controlled ratio L Channel
4. Memory Latch mode for bouth Channels ( by 0 [?] volt pulse)
5. Crosspoint 1 L Channel
6. Crosspoint 1 R Channel
7. Pitch mode for both Channels ( with +5v Pulse)
8. ISS right ( inhibit front panel potentiometers )
9. Insertion Output R Channel
10. Insertion Input R Channel
11. Insertion Input L Channel
12. Left input of DHM 89 B2
13. -15v 100ma PS for external use
14. +5V 100ma PS
15. Analog Ground
16. Crosspoint 2 L Channel
17. ISS right ( inhibit front panel potentiometers )
18. Crosspoint 2 L Channel
19. Frequency Controlled ratio R Channel
20. Output "Bandwith 10khz" ( Hi level = +7,5v / Low level = -8.5v)
21. Output "Bandwith 5khz" ( Hi level = +7,5v / Low level = -8.5v)
22. Insertion Output L Channel
23. Output "Quasi Stereo" ( Hi level = +7,5v / Low level = -8.5v)
24. Right output of DHM 89 B2
oldgearguy
necro thread, but since I decided to do some actual testing/poking around, I'd thought I'd post for posterity and maybe others will have more data.

To update ndkent's list (with corrections, here is what I've measured/found on my DHM 89 b2 (updated version w/o envelope synchro switch and with vibrato knobs and long/short memory switch).

Here are the updated versions of the IEE-488 connector pinouts:

1. +15v 100ma PS for external use
2. Digital ground
3. Frequency Controlled ratio L Channel
4. Memory Latch mode for both Channels (5 -> 1.5v pulse latches R only; 5 -> 0.875 or lower pulse latches both L/R; normally use 5v -> 0v pulse for both)
5. Crosspoint 1 L Channel
6. Crosspoint 1 R Channel
7. Pitch mode for both Channels (0 -> 0.15v pulse selects Pitch on R only; 0 -> 0.3v or higher pulse selects Pitch on both L/R; normally use 0v -> 5v pulse for both)
8. ISS right (inhibit front panel potentiometers)
9. Insertion Output R Channel
10. Insertion Input R Channel
11. Insertion Input L Channel
12. Left input of DHM 89 B2
13. -15v 100ma PS for external use
14. +5V 100ma PS
15. Analog Ground
16. Crosspoint 2 L Channel
17. ISS left (inhibit front panel potentiometers)
18. Crosspoint 2 R Channel
19. Frequency Controlled ratio R Channel
20. Output "Bandwith 10khz" (Hi level = +8.5v / Low level = -8.5v)
21. Output "Bandwith 5khz" (Hi level = +8.5v / Low level = -8.5v)
22. Insertion Output L Channel
23. Output "Quasi Stereo" (Hi level = +8.5v / Low level = -8.5v)
24. Right input of DHM 89 B2

For pins 4 and 7, typically you'd want to just send a brief pulse from 5v -> 0v (pin 4) or 0v -> 5v (pin 7). I was using a slider mapped across a 0 -> 5 volt range and wanted to see if I could engage one channel only. I still need to do more testing to see if a pulse can get the Left channel only engaged. I was sliding the control and observing what happened so naturally it did R then L since I passed through the R value.

20, 21, and 23 appear to be mainly indicators for which mode has been selected on the DHM front panel, although I was able to get it to change modes sometimes (depending on which mode it was in to start) by tieing one of 20/21/23 to either +5 or to 0. My notes here are not good and I'll have to revisit it more carefully to see if this is an intended effect or a side effect and something that shouldn't be done.

I wired up a simple 4PDT switch to connect pins 8 to 15, 17 to 15, 9 to 10, and 22 to 11. When you flip the switch, the delay time and crosspoint 1,2 pots no longer change the values. The Pitch controls get disconnected when you supply the correct high frequency signal to pins 3 and 19.

Note that the buttons and switches are always active and that is the only way to get back to Delay mode. I haven't discovered any magic pulse/voltage combination that gets out of pitch mode. Once you send a Memory Latch pulse, you need to either send a Pitch Mode pulse or press the front panel Pitch or Delay buttons to get out of it.

Pitch mode on the early versions (with the envelope synchro switch) had a voltage control mode. The revised DHM's use frequency control instead. From the manual (which is accurate): square wave, alternating between 0v and at least 2v up to 5v, frequency range - 25 KHz to 250 Khz (actual endpoints are: 26.455 KHz = 0.25 pitch shift, 211.64 KHz = 2.0 pitch shift with 105.82 KHz = 1.0). Also - you need to use the digital ground line (pin 2) with these inputs. The other voltage controlled connections reference analog ground (pin 15). This precludes using a standard synth LFO/oscillator to automate the pitch shifting aspect. I'm kind of looking into some of those small programmable oscillator boards from ADAFruit and such to see if they offer voltage control over the generated frequency and then pipe that into these inputs.

Other notes - The KB2000 used pins 9,10,11,22 to add envelope control/vibrato over the output signal. Since these pins are basically the equivalent of a channel insert send/return on a mixer, you have a lot of control over what can be done. The suggestion is to tie them together, but you don't have to if you wanted to create your own KB2000 type functionality. The basic documentation doesn't show exactly where in the signal flow the insert point is taken from, but I imagine it's post-feedback, so you couldn't add an EQ or anything like that at that point.

The Left and Right inputs (pins 12, 24) mirror what's coming in the XLR connections and could be used instead of the XLRs (which is how I believe the KB2000 switches between line and microphone inputs).

Anyway, that's my data dump of this stuff. I may end up mounting the 4PDT switch, a couple pushbuttons, and a handful of jacks in a project box so I can try some cv control over stuff like the crosspoints and delay time.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1