MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

drum machine war thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author drum machine war thread
kindredlost
It's been decades since I've owned a drum machine (okay except for a crummy SCI Drumtraks that I rarely use) and I'm trying to figure out what drum machine I could begin with (again).

I'm more interested in the classic drum machine sounds and less interested in a great sampler although I realize most of the newer generation are samplers and that I could load what sounds I want. Is that the best value or should I go with an original machine for function?

I don't have a particular genre like acid etc. to act as a constraint. Pretty open-ended musically. I'll probably do a lot of processing through the modular and with rack/stomp FX.

I would like a dinsync output on it but it isn't absolutely necessary. I have a Future Retro Mobius for midi2dinsync so that's covered. My main thing is a dedicated box that can go to work without the computer. I have shitloads of samplers and stuff in the box but I want a decent stand-alone step sequencer drum machine to use.

I'm totally confused about the Korg Electribe selections. They seem low end of the price spectrum but there are a butt-load to choose from. Is one of them just a drum machine? hmmm.....

Same goes for the Machinedrum's. Why are they so pricey?

I used to have a TR-606 and like the Roland stuff but they seem over-valued somehow. I'm not totally rulling them out but I doubt I'll find one in the price range I'm willing to spend for a dedicated drum machine.

Dave Smith/Roger Linn Tempest? seriously, i just don't get it

Are there one's I'm forgetting about?

Any advise would be helpful to distiguish the pro's/con's of the various machines out there. Sound verses function etc..
ringstone
kindredlost wrote:

I used to have a TR-606 and like the Roland stuff but they seem over-valued somehow. I'm not totally rulling them out but I doubt I'll find one in the price range I'm willing to spend for a dedicated drum machine.

Dave Smith/Roger Linn Tempest? seriously, i just don't get it

But the Tempest goes for how much??? At least 5x what a TR-606 would cost you? hmmm..... And certainly more than what I paid for either my TR-808 or TR-909 (which I had until recently)... although the OS looks like it will eventually be pretty good, personally I'm not a big fan of the sound, and the 6 simultaneous drum sounds seems a bit limiting...

Maybe some individual drum modules like the Analog Solutions/Tiptop ones might be a good solution? You could then for example use Silent Way to trigger them directly from your DAW. This is pretty much what I'm doing most of the time now - except that I build my own drum modules and mod analog drum machines with trigger inputs... I do still use my TR-606, TR-808, TR-707 (with analog trigger outs) from time to time as well, but more so for jamming rather than composing tracks.

Cheers
Blair
Chuck E. Jesus
the ER-1 is "just a drum machine", but more electronic "blippy" than realistic drums...you can probably get one for about a hundred bucks i believe... simple, fun, no-brainer...
richard
I love the ER1, easily my favourite drum machine, sorta sounds like a plastic lunchbox
modulator_esp
ER-1 is very nice for synthetic drum sounds, with 4 programmable drum synths capable of wide range of sounds, the sequencer is very easy to use and it's great for live tweaking
Spanningtree
I'm big on the Machinedrum. Like you, I wanted something that I could work with away from my computer. After doing some research and finally getting a good deal on the UW on eBay I was pleasantly surprised. Below are some of reasons I will probably never sell mine unless finances dictate differently.

-The programming/work flow can be as simple or deep as you want it. The device has very deep capabilities, just check out some of the programming threads on the Elektron users group. But, if you just want to lay out some simple patterns you can wade around the shallow end with no problem, after a cup of coffee you can swim into deeper water if desired. This is one of the few devices that I have that is so flexible that I have sit back and think about the possibilities.

-It can sit in your lap while sitting on the couch.

-Samples can be downloaded to it. While the sample length is short (I have never gone over 2 sec) it is more than adequate for my needs. The samples inherit all of the wonderful parameters and work flow that the onboard sounds have.

-The parameter locking feature is just plain sweet. I use it to slice and dice everything. Super flexible. Then there is all of the LFOs that can be assigned and routed...

-Assignable outs when you are doing a mix. The onboard efx are pretty good. Outs can be assigned to internal machines that can be used to trigger your modular. I run mine out to an A-160 divider and then pull various clocks from there to my analogue sequencers/etc. Inputs are there and are assigned to a channel where efx can be landed as well as tons of other parameters. Have the machinedrum clock your modular, route the modular audio through the machinedrum input, apply efx and other parameters and an aggregate mix of drums + modular spew forth from your machinedrum audio out.

-While it does not have dinsync the midi capabilities are excellent and mine is usually the master clock for anything I'm doing.

-64 step wide patterns. Not sure how many machines do this but I love it. You can choose fewer steps also in increments of 16.

Good luck finding what your looking for. To many choices out there.
Morley
Roland R8 MKII. Amazing sequencing features and can get pretty weird as well as straight ahead.
The MK I is fine too, just you need the electronic card to get the best sounds IMHO. The MKII has quite a few built in.

Yamaha RY30. Not bad either. The R8 beats it in my world, but the RY is pretty cheap.

Oh and a TR606 is just an amazing box....
For fun I also like the DR110.
BugBrand
Enjoying a recently acquired Korg KPR-77. Apparently meant to be Korg's answer to the 606?! Claps!
Unfortunately, I'm yet to find a nice analogue machine that has the instant power of the 606's sequencer - being able to change things on the fly is so good and this lets down many machines of a similar ilk, I think.

Got a DR110 recently too, but it is slightly flakey at present. Mod time, I think..

WAR!
Chuck E. Jesus
richard wrote:
I love the ER1, easily my favourite drum machine, sorta sounds like a plastic lunchbox

well put!
consumed
+1 machinedrum for playability/immediacy and depth when youre ready for it
the mk1 machinedrum can be had for very cheap now...ive seen them as low as $650
it can trigger the modular directly as well. i use it like this frequently.

the er-1 is a fun programmable box with stereo outs only, cheap

the emx-1 is a very solid choice here too and inexpensive. sounds fantastic and has some decent programmability as well.
darenager
+1 on the above, 606 too

The MD is one of the few machines where you barely need to stop it to do anything, and the sounds whilst not everybodies cup of tea are probably amongst the most wide ranging, especially when you start to layer and have them doing automated parameter changes.
Hosaka
consumed wrote:
the emx-1 is a very solid choice here too and inexpensive. sounds fantastic and has some decent programmability as well.

If you already have a synth, you should pick ESX-1 instead of EMX-1. ESX-1 has the sampling option too, while EMX-1 is more focused on its synth engine.
Kan Kaban
For sure Tempest is the new futere classic of drum machines.
I´t obvious, if you look at who is behind it.
Of course, I love almost every dm.

Consider:

You can build yourself any 808 module.
Try to do the same with any Tempest voice...
impossible.

Every instrument is special, but if you are asking about the MOST special of them, by now:

T E M P E S T.

KK.
Funky40
darenager wrote:

The MD is one of the few machines where you barely need to stop it to do anything, and the sounds whilst not everybodies cup of tea are probably amongst the most wide ranging, especially when you start to layer and have them doing automated parameter changes.

would you say the octatrack can replace a MD ?
i thought to get a MD to accompany my octa, but went for another octa instead .
clearly, much more flexible setup, but just for the Drums, OT or MD ?
just curious

not knowing the Md really, my belive is that i get "more drums" within the octa.
bkbirge
kindredlost wrote:
It's been decades since I've owned a drum machine (okay except for a crummy SCI Drumtraks that I rarely use) and I'm trying to figure out what drum machine I could begin with (again). .

PM me if you want to get rid of your "crummy SCI Drumtraks". Definitely one of my all-time lo-fi favorites with a great simple interface.

If you want simple and modern just get one of the Boss offerings. Good quality, inexpensive, standalone and feature rich. Bread and butter stuff for song writers.

If you have to have the analog sound I'd look hard at the MFB stuff, the demos of the Schlagzwerg I find to be impressive...

And then of course there are the usual suspects like a used Emu SP1200, Machinedrum, the billion done-to-death 808/909 clones, etc.

I'm also tempted by this little bad boy in euro...
robotfunk
The Yamaha RY-30 was my first drumcomputer and I loved it to bits, sadly it was stolen. Recording all the filter/pan/velocity changes with the wheel was amazing. I had a Korg ER-1 later but I think it could only remember one of those parameters at a time.
polyroy
606s can be found at good prices if you keep your eye out and it's a fantastic machine. As others have mentioned, the sequencer is so great for on the fly stuff. It's my main link between my computer and my modular (with help of a MIDI to DIN converter) and I wouldn't change it for shit!
darenager
Funky40 wrote:
darenager wrote:

would you say the octatrack can replace a MD ?
i thought to get a MD to accompany my octa, but went for another octa instead .
clearly, much more flexible setup, but just for the Drums, OT or MD ?
just curious

not knowing the Md really, my belive is that i get "more drums" within the octa.

I think the OT can do drums very well, I almost replaced my MD with another OT - but in the end I decided against it, the MD has 16 parts, multiple outs and as a controller for other gear alone it wins out over the OT (for what I'm doing anyway) the main advantage where the OT wins is independant track lengths and number of samples it can hold (forgetting for a moment the additional things like scenes and additional sample mangling)

In a way the MD is like a modular drum machine, choose the machine, set the routing, arrange the kit how you want it, I like the approach of it a lot. I rarely use any other drum machines since owning it. I also like how I can make drum sounds from scratch just using sine waves and noise, or run something into one of the inputs and use the MD synthesis and triggering. The FM machines are very nice too, and probably my favourite machine type.

I like them both and would be hard pressed to choose one over the other.
Kan Kaban
My 707 singing anything...
(just to me)

RealDudes
Of all the drum machines I've owned my 2 favorites are circuit bent TR505 and DR110
If I could have anything it'd probably be drumdokta + seq01 or just more modules in general.
jeannot
+1 Machinedrum

I feel like I have the immediacy of Ableton, right inside a contained piece of hardware. That alone gets my juices flowing.

The only thing I don't like:

no triplets, you can simulate them, someone on the electro-music forum has a nice little tip for this

auto-quantize that cant be turned off

But literally these are my only two gripes.
youkon
if you already have lots of stuff - take a cirklon sequencer and set up your individual drummie with some or all of your synths/sampler

I call it the deluxe individual drummie
if you like hardware stepsequencing - you'll never regret

...midi, din sync, gate/cv, trigger, usb

by the way: mfb will bring out a new analog stepsequencer anytime next year (I assume end of next year) if anyone didn't know, yet... just by the way.... new story.. I think, it will be cool
dude
some day i will make a serious attempt at getting to know an MD. i have never spent more than 15 minutes with one.

also someday i will buy another rhodes.

carry on.
jeannot
dude wrote:
some day i will make a serious attempt at getting to know an MD. i have never spent more than 15 minutes with one.

also someday i will buy another rhodes.

carry on.

You sir, have the right idea.

Man I want a Rhodes...
chando
Roland R-70 is a great all-rounder.. use your DrumTraks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8