MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Low Cost MU Cabinet Update
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Low Cost MU Cabinet Update
Christopher Winkels
I'm finally ready to show some preliminary drawings and prices for the low cost, ready-to-assemble case I've been blathering on about for several months.

The case consists of six panels (three identical pairs; two for top/bottom, two for front/back, two for left/right sides) made from 1/2" (12mm) Baltic Birch (*or possibly Fir with Maple face and back - see below). Everything uses CARB Phase II compliant material so that people in California won't get their shipment stopped at the border. You can stain, paint, laminate, or vajazzle this to your heart's content to personalize it.

The case screws together with standard wood screws (which will be included). Using a cordless drill is recommended, but a screwdriver will work in a pinch if you don't mind sore wrists! I highly doubt assembly would take more than 15 minutes. Five to ten would be more typical.

Fourteen modules can be arranged along the face and fourteen along the back, or you can use the face only for mounting modules and just stick your power related modules in the back. There's ample room inside for power supplies. On a cost-per-1U of width basis this compares extremely favourably with the pre-assembled alternatives that are offered now, and the pricing benefits get even better when one considers the savings in shipping costs. Plus if you decide you want to sell it later, it unscrews and can ship to the next user for a reasonable price.

The finished panels look like this:

This is a quick'n'dirty exploded view showing how it goes together (I don't have a proper assembly drawing completed yet). The back panel is omitted for clarity in this instance.

Initial price is determined by the level of interest, as this is quite sensitive to run size:

- Orders for 10+ units total = $115.00 US each
- Orders for 25+ units total = $96.00 US each
- Orders for 50+ units total = $91.00 US each
Plus shipping, at cost, to wherever you are in the world.

I can only really go ahead with this if there's interest in more than 10 units, otherwise it's not going to be a feasible exercise. I'd likely ask for $20 deposit up front from all interested parties as a good faith gesture before I go into production. Don't send it to me now though!

Please don't hesitate to ask questions if I've left something unanswered.

*Edit 12/09: I may have to switch from Baltic Birch to an American Fir core with Maple veneer face and back. This would be so that all the pieces could be oriented the same way on a sheet, preventing tearout in the dados. I will confirm this before taking firm orders just in case anyone has a problem with the switch in materials. Birch and Maple are similar in appearance, so it shouldn't matter unduly.
Christopher Winkels
Oh, and feel free to use these drawings for your own use if you want to try your hand at making a cabinet yourself. Copyright is not something I'm about to lay claim to! lol
AnalogBastard
thumbs up I'll take 3 of them, let me know when you want a deposit
goiks
nice work, good and simple. what size wood screws will you be using to connect the panels, and will the holes be pre-drilled in the substrate? my experience is that screws smaller than #8 will shear off with a power driver in the hands of someone inexperienced, if not driven into a drilled hole.
Christopher Winkels
I had #6 in mind, but they'd be closer to an SM rather than deep thread style. Those have served me pretty well up to this point, but I will test them out based on your suggestion.

I've only specified pilot holes for drilling through the face rather than edges; I find with most veneer cores that there's a reasonable amount of give between the plies. I'll definitely confirm that first though!

Between AnalogBastard and another person (who may or may not wish to remain nameless) I have a soft count of 8 cabinets, plus I'll be keeping two for myself so I'm already up to my magic number of 10. Once I hit 25 the prices start falling. Mr. Green

About shipping prices, because I've been asked. Here's what I've found so far with Canada Post:

In Canada: $25.00
To the U.S.: $44.00
To the U.K.: $91.00
Elsewhere, please ask.

Obviously the price drops somewhat if more than one is ordered as its based on a formula of weight and volume together.

If there's a good alternate shipper to the US or overseas that someone cares to recommend I'm very enthusiastic about considering them. UPS, Fedex and DHL were all in excess of $200 to the UK using even their cheapest express services (and there isn't an easy tool for non-express shipments that I can see....)
Bryan B
Christopher Winkels wrote:
I'm already up to my magic number of 10.

applause

Congrats on a successful lift off!

I would recommend very small pilot holes (to guide the screws in straight, not out the sides).

Not sure what material it is, but if it is wood or MDF (and not plastic), smear a bit of glue on the edge (not a ton!) and then screw it together and wipe off any glue that squeezed out.
Christopher Winkels
Thanks Bryan. The material will be 1/2" veneer core plywood (initially Baltic Birch, but for material yield reasons it looks like I'm going to have to switch to a Fir core with Maple faces). The problem with the pilot holes is that I'd need to do them myself. The shop I deal with only has a CNC with a limited number of axes; it can't do edge drilling.

So I might have to rig up a jig and do it myself. d'oh!

And yes, if you don't ever plan on taking the case apart a nice thin line of white glue and a damp rag will make it even more stable. thumbs up
7thDanSound
I suspect you've been downing one too many Rekorderligs Herr Winkels as this is borderline Ikea genius stuff going on! Impressive, clever and a product badly needed IMO. Let me know when you make them in Wiard 300 size twisted help
Gringo Starr
Christopher Winkels

Do you have a website where you're selling more elaborate/expensive cases?
megaohm
Great work and I'll echo others in saying it is badly needed!
I love the depth, too.
applause

Wonderful price tag!
Are running this as a not-for-profit?
thumbs up
dude
i like christopher winkels
sduck
Ooh. 14 MU = 18 MOTM (or ModCan! !). I'll take 3.
The Hamburglar
I'm confused about the front and back nature of the case, as in why would want modules on two sides of one case.
Christopher Winkels
Quote:

Do you have a website where you're selling more elaborate/expensive cases?

Nope, sorry. Our fellow member, goiks http://www.goike.com/node/5 is whom I'd contact if you want the best of the best. His stuff looks gorgeous and many other Wigglers recommend it highly.

Quote:
Wonderful price tag!
Are running this as a not-for-profit?

I've built some profit in it, but it won't be huge. I figure on maybe $20 per case. Plus or minus.

Quote:
I'm confused about the front and back nature of the case, as in why would want modules on two sides of one case.

It's a "something for nothing" type of bonus. One of the things I set out to do was to have everything be symmetrical so there's very little likelihood of finding a "wrong" way to put it together. Because of that the back of the cabinet is the same as the front. That means that unlike a 22U portable cabinet you don't have to tie up a couple of spaces with power modules. Everything on the front is usable and the "set and forget" modules like power ones can remain on the back. Or you can place less used modules that don't require tweaking (like a Q104 or a Q116) there as well.

It's a way of maximizing utility at minimal cost, and the case should be small and light enough to make access to the back easier than larger cabinets. You can, if you like, very easily ignore it too. lol

Quote:
Ooh. 14 MU = 18 MOTM

I think it's only 17... but who's counting?

The MU holes are blind (i.e. not all the way through) so one need only flip the face panel back to front and drill as required for MOTM or Modcan.

Someone also asked if Modcan A will fit. They *should* using the undrilled back face, but I would want to test this before committing to a definite yes/no answer.

Quote:
i like christopher winkels

He's really a bit of a bastard....
sduck
Christopher Winkels wrote:

Quote:
Ooh. 14 MU = 18 MOTM

I think it's only 17... but who's counting?

Details are important! Or not.

And yes, I had the measurements rwong - 14 X 2.125" = 29.75"; 29.75" ÷ 1.75" = 17.

So Oooh! 14 MU = 17 MOTM (or ModCan! !)
Bryan B
I just finished a few acrylic cases that needed to stack and found it extremely helpful to have screw holes that match up on the top and bottom panels.

In your case, it would be really awesome if you had 6 holes predrilled (the smaller holes) that always match up if you have a stack of cabinets. This way the user (if so inclined) can easily drill the holes larger for clearance and connect 2 or more cabinets together.

This would only work if you use flathead screws, so the screw heads from basic assembly won't stick up and prevent stacking.

You could take this even further and have the sides connect together nicely as well. The epic Wall of Winkels could become a reality!
SunSpots
Wall of Winkels I forsee!!
whitewulfe
Daaaamn, those do sound ever so tempting...
Christopher Winkels
Could I trouble anyone who's interested for a show of hands today so that I can get to work on making sure materials are lined up?

Again, I'll happily answer additional questions if you have them.
AnalogBastard
I'll reconfirm, 3 for me please.
sduck
Again, 3 for me
Christopher Winkels
Here are the updated shipping prices (in either US or Canadian dollars; I'll accept them at par):

In Canada: $25.00 each for one, $19.00 each for two ($38.00 total), or $16.00 each for three ($48.00 total)
To the U.S.: $44.00 each for one, $37.00 each for two ($74.00 total), or $35.00 each for three ($105.00 total)
To the U.K.: $91.00 each for one, $63.00 each for two ($126.00 total), or $54.00 each for three ($162.00 total)

Elsewhere, please ask. These obviously are the "slow boat" rates, so shipping times are about 1 week within Canada, 2 weeks to the US, anywhere from 3-6 weeks for overseas. This can be sped up, but at fairly ruinous prices.

As per my edit later in the day on 12/09, I had to switch from Baltic Birch to an American Fir core with Maple veneer face and back (it'll be a B-white face if you're up on these things, and a 2-white back). The change is made so that all the pieces could be oriented the same way on a sheet, preventing tearout in the dados. I'd previously figured on using a 5'x5' sheet but have to switch to a 4'x8' panel, so Baltic Birch isn't an option anymore. The look of Maple is similar to Birch, but not precisely the same. There are fewer plies (but thicker plies) as well, so overall dimensions are the same.

I've had enough interest to be closing in on 20 units, so I'll run 25 total and go with the less expensive price of $96.00 each.

Here's the timetable:

- If you're still interested, please send a $15.00 Paypal deposit for each one you want by noon (EST) on Friday, 12/16 to cwinkels@gmail.com along with your shipping address and full name.

- Prototypes will be run next week.

- I anticipate shipping by either the first or second week of January. I'll ask for payment in full just before shipment are ready to leave.

If there are any significant delays, I'll be sure to post about them to give everyone a heads-up. At any time before shipment you can ask for your deposit money back. I'm willing to "go long" on this and take a few months to sell the remainder, if need be, but please respect the fact that I need to sell around 19 of the 25 units just to break even on this.
Christopher Winkels
Deposits received from three folks already (thank you all!)

I'm still taking additional orders if more people are interested. Please make sure to include your Muff's user name as well - I like to be able to tie a deposit to a specific user.

Thanks!
Christopher Winkels
Prototypes are here. hyper hyper hyper hyper

Thalassa
Look good thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4