MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Amplifying Vector Rasterizations
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Amplifying Vector Rasterizations
Eli
Hey Mufflers,
I thought Id use this question as an excuse to break in my first post and begin using the search feature. After reading many of the threads from various contributors Im psyched to be a part of the video synth community going on here.
Last Spring I was lucky enough to spend some time at the Experimental Television Center and ever since Ive been fiending to get back into video synthesis techniques. I recently picked up some LZX modules from my pal Lars and have been plugging away ever since.

ANYWHO,
Im curious if anyone has any experience or recommendations on amplifying the bandwidth to vector monitor to make it appear larger.
Specifically for the Rutt Etra effect:

Thus far Ive experimented with a few different models of scopes, which worked ok for screen size, but had graticules in the way.

Im using a tektronix 603 vector monitor. I couldnt find anything on the subject already so I thought id start it up!

I should also mention I have about 4 cases of fully functional EMU modular systems that have a wide array of modules to aid including pre-amps and VCA's. Maybe this might be the answer, but Im not quite sure.

Bests,
Eli

[/img]
nickciontea
Welcome! Guinness ftw!

I know that I have accomplished this but I'm not sure what configuration.
Do you have a TVP? I believe that should give you the gain you're looking for. I know I've played around with putting the TVP in various spots of that vector patch.. not sure how TVP would compare to using EMU vcas.

Although when making the frame "full screen" you can end up cropping out certain rotational/deflection movements

i think
lizlarsen
Hey Eli! Voltage Bridge should be your ticket to increasing voltage going out of the system (although it will limit the bandwidth somewhat.) Explain to us/show us more what's going on now -- is the image too small on the screen? Not bright enough?
daverj
Hi Eli,
Perhaps if you feed your three signals into multiples and then feed those into the blending matrix you can get 3 or 4 times stronger signals by mixing the multiples of the same signals onto each output. But then that kind of defeats the idea of using the matrix to mix the different signals to create shape effects.

The alternative is to build a small set of amplifiers between the system and monitor.
Eli
Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
Hey all,
So I was able to achieve the goal! Overall a pretty simple fix, but I wanted to post!

And to clarify, it was to enlarge the image on the vector monitor. It only filled about 1/6th of the screen size previously.

I was able to employ the EMU dual preamp module:seen here

Simply by patching:
SUM 1(X) & SUM 2(Y) on the Video Blending Matrix----->
to the Input of EMU Preamp 1 (X) & Preamp 2 (Y)------>
Then to corresponding axis' of the vector monitor

Boosted it right up to a very sharp full screen image! Also very fluid and wide control of the size on the -20db setting.

Although:
Now that you mention it Lars, the Voltage bridge could very well be used like that! I feel silly going through the trouble, but the extra control is nice.

@Daver J: Good to see your active here! We shared some beers and food at Tioga Trails during my stay at the ETC, along with my pal Seth Nemec.
lizlarsen
Hey Eli! Awesome, glad you got something working.

Just worth noting here the EMU Preamp will not be able to pass full video bandwidth -- the XY ramps are within the normal audio range, so no worries there -- but if you're doing luma-displacement type effects (adding video into the ramps) you'll still see a bandwidth drop in the response. You will with the voltage bridge too, and you still may get exactly the affect you want -- it's just something to be aware of.

With the number of people very focused on vector rescanning techniques, I've been thinking about doing a proper XYZ monitor "driver" module, with proper BNC outputs and higher gain controls.
bitSmasher
creatorlars wrote:
With the number of people very focused on vector rescanning techniques, I've been thinking about doing a proper XYZ monitor "driver" module, with proper BNC outputs and higher gain controls.
Would it be worth scouring OEM suppliers for a suitable CRT too?
That would be amazing... you'd probably find a whole following of Vectorisers that aren't otherwise interested in video synthesis as such.
revmutt
bitSmasher wrote:
creatorlars wrote:
Would it be worth scouring OEM suppliers for a suitable CRT too?
That would be amazing... you'd probably find a whole following of Vectorisers that aren't otherwise interested in video synthesis as such.

I have to agree. Could also be a good gate way module.
lizlarsen
Well it wouldn't be a standalone thing, just a module specifically suited for adjusting output voltages going to a vector monitor.

My hesitation in doing it is related to the availability of vector monitors and the variations between models. Composite video cameras and display devices are no problem, but as a lot of you know, vector monitors are not that easy to find and I don't want to be misleading to people that they're going to get exactly the same results or the results they want, with the module. So much depends on the display device.

All that said, in addition to a driver with gain adjustment, one possibility is to do an XYZ modulator type setup like the Rutt-Etra's driver module, with 5x VCAs and 3x signal summers. Video Ramps and Video Sync Generator would be used for the applicable portions of it, and then the rest could be a setup with controls to give you modulation/adjustment over the various signals: H Size, V Size, Depth, H Position, V Position, Intensity, Brightness.

Of course, it could be patched up with the other LZX modules (TVFKG, TVP & VBM, etc.) but a cool integrated XYZ driver could be cool, like this Rutt-Etra block diagram:

Or maybe it's best if the "XYZ gain/output driver" and "XYZ modulator" are separate modules.

And of course, we will have audio-rate voltage control over geometric transformations with CVD, and later on video-rate control Rutt-Etra style with the more involved Reprogrammable Frame Buffer. Of course these are very different effects from a true vector rescan.

Stuff to think about! I'll definitely do a module like this at some point if people want me too, I've just got several modules to put out before then.
Matos
Lars, I love you brother! My rapidly depleting bank account hates you with a passion, but I'm so stoked to be on team video. Logic and reprogram able frame buffer are on my buy list for sure. This xyz driver sounds delicious too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1