MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wiggler Pedalboards?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Wiggler Pedalboards?
dkcg
If you're like me, you have pedals, but don't put them on a board in a permanent arrangement. However, I got a pedalboard to use as a paint palette of sound, used cashback rewards so it was free.

Now I'm curious if any of you have a pedalboard, and what's on it.

Show me yours and I'll show you mine (once I get it up and running).

Surely we have a few closet guitarists chasing tones on a slab of wood.
sduck
I had one back in my club days. Actually it only lasted for a few gigs - usually I was just hooking up 4-5 pedals in some kind of arrangement on the floor. The hard and fast keepers that were at every gig were my mxr original dyna comp and some kind of wah pedal (I had the one that was marketed as having the "Shaft" sound, whatever that was). Then usually it was some kind of delay, and a flanger or phaser. Since I've stopped playing out, I've had a bunch of things that would have been great back then. I had a boss GT-5, which was really great when it came out. I've had a line6 PodXT for a long time, but haven't used it much in the last few years. These days for just playing at home I'm back to the old standbys - a mxr custom comp and a boss v-wah (which has to go, it sucks)
emergencyofstate
don't have a pic of mine but i've got the following on my pedalboard right now:

Zvex Super Hard On
Boss RC-20 Loop Station
Proco 80's Ratt
BYOC Analog Delay
Boss Tuner
skipperdean
i've been dismembering my pedalboard over the past few years and finally have not one guitar pedal. i used to have an old suitcase with a surge protector taped into it about 10 years ago. i ditched that when i found the boss daisy chain power supply cable. then i ditched any kind of piece of wood or suitcase to have them on/in; i wasn't so sentimental back then and i kept nofx(hehe) for more than 4 months at a time. my favorite setup looked like this:

boss tuner
sansamp bass di
big muff pi
boss aw
flea cry baby
boss synth bass syb-3
boss bf-2
boss dd-6 (?)

i might be able to dig up some photos on some old hd's...
brickman
No picture either , but here's what I have :

Effectrode Phaseomatic Deluxe
Effectrode Tube-Vibe
Effectrode Fire Bottle
Bugbrand Microcrusher
Area51 Wah & Fuzz
Mr.Springgy Reverb
Just me
I don't use a board of any kind and most of my stuff is in racks. But, on the floor right now is DigiDesign BP8, Strymon ElCapistan, MXR Distortion+ and DOD Flanger 575. All of my Foogers are rack mounted.
spiffy chap
Here's mine, I spend a lot of time making my guitar not sound like guitar....

mmelnick
dkcg
So here's the first version. Haven't even tested it out to see what it sounds like. I'm thinking the bottom row will be the usual suspects, the standard voice. The area above it will be the sandbox area that will change. I'm gonna make 1 or 2 effects loop pedals as well to use kinda like insert points for pedals. I guess I'm thinking it through more like a modular than pedals.

I think the pedalboard, which I like much more than the Stage5 I had (WAY too big and bulky, took up an acre of floorspace), will actually help me thin down pedals I don't use much. We'll see.

Here's where it was as of last night:
MrBiggs
Fiancée told me some peoples asked her if I wanted something like a pedalboard for christmas. So she asked me. And I'm not sure I want one. Sometimes I want to take my fuzz or delay over to my friend's house to jam, but other times I want to just move one up to the desk to plug into the end of my modular. I don't gig or whatever (yet) so I haven't really seen any need yet.

I would like to find some system for plugging in five or six pedals at a time without the 1-spot connectors all over the place. The patch cables I don't mind. The power adapter shit is a pain.

Off-topic-ish for dkcg: How do you like that sunface? Also, my guitar teacher guy has the RMC3 in stock (he has ALL of the Real McCoys in stock) so I might be getting an early visit from Santa on Friday night if my guilt doesn't hit me first. I just bought some Audio Damage plugs last week so I feel bad if I get a pedal. Your board looks swell. I like orange.
plord
I don't have a current pic, but I have a Pedaltrain Pro set up as follows.

If the guitar's loop is off, it goes Guitar->Bud-wah->MXR Distortion+->EHX2880 looper->Lexicon LXP-1->amp.

With the guitar's onboard loop on the mostly-direct from the pickup signal (a unity gain buffer and I think the tone pot are in) goes out to a Strobo-tuner, POGII, Mutron III, Sunface, then back to the guitar, through the guitar volume pot, then to the Wah and so forth as before, UNLESS

I hit the other loop pedal on the pedalboard, which is *after* the Distortion+, and adds in a Moog phaser, Fromel Lush (Dim C clone), and Diamond Memory Lane before the looper.

The guitar has onboard switches to defeat the loop and the buffer if I want.

It's a bit of a beast.
Bricks
after lots of shuffling:

Schumann PLL -> StroboStomp2 Tuner -> Goodrich LDR2 Volume -> Diamond Memory Lane -> Analogman Chorus
dkcg
Bricks wrote:
after lots of shuffling:

Schumann PLL -> StroboStomp2 Tuner -> Goodrich LDR2 Volume -> Diamond Memory Lane -> Analogman Chorus

Holy shit that Schumann PLL is cool! Had no idea they existed. Thanks for posting it.

@PLord I knew you'd have a cool setup, very cool routing. I bought parts to make a couple FX loop pedals over the break. You've inspired me to think more modular with the pedalboard. Thanks!
dkcg
MrBiggs wrote:
Off-topic-ish for dkcg: How do you like that sunface? Also, my guitar teacher guy has the RMC3 in stock (he has ALL of the Real McCoys in stock) so I might be getting an early visit from Santa on Friday night if my guilt doesn't hit me first. I just bought some Audio Damage plugs last week so I feel bad if I get a pedal. Your board looks swell. I like orange.

It's a mini chorus, not the sunface. But it is lush, nice as a subtle modulator. I'd like to get a sunface, but don't think I should get any more pedals for a while. I got over half my pedals on a shelf even with the pedalboard.

Ask him if you can try out the RMC, at least just sweep it by hand or something to hear it before you commit. I have no regrets about buying mine, it made me start to hate my crybaby. The RMC and the Swart may be the two things that made guitar fun again for me, actually been playing guitar more than buchlaing the last few weeks.

The board is an exercise in excess, fun, but I start spending more time tap dancing than plucking than when I have just the fuzz and the wah, which is equally fun, but less tweaking sounds and piking the old toe out to hit the button w/o messing up a setting. I may have to spread them out a little more ergonomically and limit myself more. It's getting muddy with so many pedals, but surprisingly quiet. No hiss, no hum, just a tiny bit, but not as bad as I thought it would be.
attacksustain
dkcg wrote:
Bricks wrote:
after lots of shuffling:

Holy shit that Schumann PLL is cool! Had no idea they existed.

For all intents and purposes, unless you already have one, they don't.
this is how much used ones are going for.

I've heard the insides of those things are ridiculous.
plord
dkcg wrote:
MrBiggs wrote:
Off-topic-ish for dkcg: How do you like that sunface?

[...] I may have to spread them out a little more ergonomically and limit myself more. It's getting muddy with so many pedals, but surprisingly quiet. No hiss, no hum, just a tiny bit, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

I solved the ergonomic problem by settling on the biggest fucking kind of each pedal in existence d'oh! Seriously, the footswitch for the 2880, a Mutron, and a couple of Moog pedals will eat up pretty much anything but the largest pedalboards. I'd switch but everything SOUNDS TOO GOOD.

Biggs, I do have a Sunface, and when I got it I sold all my other fuzzes. Truth. If what you want from a fuzz is that clean-to-mean from the guitar volume knob, the Sunface is it. I got the Sundial on mine, it brings half the bias pot travel to the front, and if you starve the signal it can get really trashy. I like it a little more full.

The only problem is, I use the unity gain buffer like 99% of the time, which defeats the usual "fuzz first" pedalchain order. But the bonus feature of the Sunface's responsiveness to input strength is that it makes a KILLER fuzz to go after the Mutron. Takes some fiddlin' to get it right but with the right settings and a wide dynamic range on the right hand you can really make it talk.
dkcg
attacksustain wrote:
For all intents and purposes, unless you already have one, they don't.
this is how much used ones are going for.

I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather have for that much. eek!

I can't believe there are bids that high, that's insane!
Bricks
PLL:
They were always expensive, but I got one right before the price skyrocketed. I think about selling it constantly.. but it is the most fun pedal I've ever encountered. I've never heard anything like it.

attacksustain wrote:

I've heard the insides of those things are ridiculous.

No kidding. fingers crossed that it doesn't break...
(how would I ever replace the alchemical stew of epoxy, electrical tape, black goop, and superglue that keeps it stitched together?)

Then again, the PLL seems like an Apple product in comparison to the Schumann Lion I used to have:

woah zombie
pulse_divider
I was really excited about the pll when it came out and went to Main Drag with a pocket full of cash (i think they were$500 new) to demo/buy one.
I spent 30 minutes playing with it and absolutely hated it, thought it sounded like crap. I didn't end up buying it.
Just my opinion.
Bricks
Yeah I can imagine it not being for everyone.

I'm pretty impressed it manages what it does in a single box - one of these days I'm going to try to understand the circuit better.

I bought it thinking I was getting a distortion pedal.. rather it is a glitched out guitar synth with a labyrinthian interface. It can tightly track.. but it is much more fun to play when it loosely tracks, as it has a personality unlike anything else I've encountered. There might be clones of it nowadays, I haven't really kept up.
RF
On the pedaLBOARD...
Korg Tuner - EH Blackfinger Compressor - Morely Wah/Volume - Ibanez TS-7 - Boss CE-2 Chorus - Crappy, Nasty Behringer multi-effects pedal (FX-600)

Secret Weapon = THD HotPlate attenuator on the amp

I've paired it down to what I use - When I replace the Behringer I'll be happy.
doctorvague
I use this for my live trio gigs. Just got the Okko Diablo and really like it.
I had a Strymon Lex on my board but just didn't find enough uses for it.
Got probably 20-30 pedals in my pedal drawer, not shown.
My prize pedal is definitely the Marshall Bluesbreaker which I've had since the 90's when they came out. Also have the original Shredmaster. I built a Bluesbreaker "clone" (supposedly) which wasn't even close to my original.
The El Capistan is far and away the best of it's kind I've used.
It can be a great thickener without screaming "ECHO!" if you set it up right.

dkcg
doctorvague wrote:
Got probably 20-30 pedals in my pedal drawer, not shown.

This is my biggest problem in figuring out what is going on the board and what the board's purpose is in my way of doing things. Sandbox for experimenting vs. my basic guitar sound plus a toy or two. A board with all my pedals would be way too much. I like how you got your basic chain setup nice n tight. I think I may end up part that part playground. Although a 30+ channel switching system and some nice shelves could solve everything for me. lol

Making some adjustments tonight, I had things too dense before, felt like eurorack w/ my feet. hihi
dkcg
shaft9000 wrote:
whetstone phaser - like a cleaner Smallstone but with oodles of options...i sold the cwejman sph-2 and kept this(and not for need of cash) as the sph-2 v1 doesn't cv much anyway
ehx flanger hoax - perhaps the craziest mass-produced pedal around. naked singularities.

I loved the SPH-2 when I had one, the whetstone's demos online caught my eye, but if it was good enough to replace your Cwejman that says a lot to me. New store opened up in Long Beach, they carry the Whetstone, I may have to go listen in person.

Does the Hoax do that twisting metal sound that extreme flangers do sometimes? That almost twisted phaser, turning the waveforms inside out thing? Dang...so hard to describe that sound.

And did you get a sheet of velcro or how did you get the tacky fabric for the pedal velcro? If you velcro them.

I got parts and a simple schematic for a feedback FX loop pedal that I'm putting on the board, the two FX loops will be used pre and post main chain with a more modular approach to effects, thanks to PLord for that idea.
pas
my wife bought me a hoax when they first came out, it was the first gift from her when we first started dating actually & all sentimentality aside, i've never gotten sick of it. like shaft said, it'll do the metallic thing when up'ing the feedback, but then it'll easily morph into a cloudy abyss or just phase'd out oblivion. EH is amazing. i've got a sort of EH suite that i ride consisting of original pog, tube zipper, 16 sec delay, FH, poly chorus, & holier grail. a slew of other pedals b/w, but those are mainstays.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6