MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Croglin 98% complete
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Croglin 98% complete
mumblinstevedubya
Good afternoon Wigglers!

I am nearly finished putting the Croglin together.

As this is my 1st build I just have a few questions. I need to make a power cable to go between the compact power supply and the Croglin.
I have the same 4 way connection on the croglin as on the C-PSU. What housings do I need to buy (part numbers would be really useful)
Also do I need to buy a special crimping tool ? (part number would be useful)

Lastly I have the sock4 board and need to buy the interconnects from this to the main board again, part numbers would be really useful.

Thanks in advance for the help - cant wait to stick some audio through this!

Steve
gtxdude
Greetings,

Quote:
As this is my 1st build I just have a few questions. I need to make a power cable to go between the compact power supply and the Croglin.
I have the same 4 way connection on the croglin as on the C-PSU. What housings do I need to buy (part numbers would be really useful)
Also do I need to buy a special crimping tool ? (part number would be useful)

These are Molex KK .156 connectors. The female 4 up receptacle housings are Mouser part# 538-09-50-3041

I crimp mine with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAND-CRIMPING-TOOL-AMP-TYCO-604824-1-No-Reserv e-/230717977114?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item35b7dcf21a.

Quote:
Lastly I have the sock4 board and need to buy the interconnects from this to the main board again, part numbers would be really useful.

These are Molex KK .100 connectors. The Sock4 PCB uses an 8 up connector. The Mouser part#'s are:

Male 8 pin plug: 538-22-23-2081
Female 8 pin receptacle housing: 538-22-23-2081

Good luck!
mumblinstevedubya
Is there any wigglers in the UK with links to crimp tools for both styles of the connectors (MTA and Molex) used in the Oakley builds.

Ideally the cheaper the tools the better!

I really want to finish this 1st module!

Thanks in advance

Steve
Synthbuilder
I use Molex 0.1" (2.54mm) KK for the interconnects and MTA 0.156" for the power leads. Paul at Krisp1 uses MTA for both sizes.

MTA is easy but requires a stupidly expensive tool for each size. One can fashion the 0.1" tool from a screwdriver if you have the original to copy - much in the same way as house key is cut.

Rapid sell Molex style crimpers for a reasonable price here: Crimpers

I use this for all my 0.1" KK connections. It makes a nice firm crimp. You can also use for 0.156" Molex crimping too but I haven't tried it myself.

You can use Molex 0.156" for the Oakley power connections as both Molex 0.156" and MTA 156 will fit into the PCB. However, MOTM uses MTA so that's what I tend to use on my own builds.

Part numbers for all the housings and crimps should be in the Parts Guide.

Tony
mumblinstevedubya
Thanks Tony & Happy New Year!

Croglin is now complete and working!

I will definately buy the crimp tool for the next build.

I bought my hook up wire from Maplin (overall diameter 2.05mm) and I think that this may be too thick as it wouldn't fit into the crimps properly. What size wire should I be using?

Steve
Synthbuilder
Hi Steve,

mumblinstevedubya wrote:
What size wire should I be using?

I use seven stranded insulated wire for all 0.1" hook ups. This is 7/0.2mm as sold by Rapid here: wire

For the 0.156" connectors I use 105degC 22AWG multistrand although this is primarily because I have a small stash of of it which I bought years ago.

Tony
Paradigm X
Cheers for all the info here, Im in a very similiar position, needing all the crimpers and stuff.

Cheers
8_)
Synthbuilder
I think I need to add some information about wires, cables and crimps into the Oakley Construction Guide. There's some stuff in there but I'll have a go at adding some more.

I need to get the BG done for the new Discontinuity first but hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow.

Tony
mumblinstevedubya
Thanks Tony
mumblinstevedubya
Greetings all!

When I had finished the croglin I had no other modules to put through it and I thought it worked. I played some audio through it and it was very subtle but working nevertheless.

Few months on and I now have a mididac 2 VCOs, a Superladder and an ADSR.

When i patch a VCO through the Croglin I am getting a very quiet filtered signal out of the other end. This to me sounds like something is not right.
All pots seem to respond as do the cv inputs.

Any ideas?

seriously, i just don't get it

Thanks

Steve
Synthbuilder
mumblinstevedubya wrote:
Any ideas?

How quiet? Just a faint sound almost level with the background hiss of your amp? If so suspect shorted output to ground.

Check that op-amps are getting the power they need. +15V on pin 8 and -15V on pin 4. Voltages should be measured from a suitable ground point on the board (the round pin on IN1 is handy).

Can you hear the background hiss of the module being affected by FREQ and RES? If so suspect wrong component in input circuitry of the module, eg. R27 and R28

If not then perhaps R29 should be 220K...

The other thing to do is make sure that all the different parts between the 2U and 1U builds are correct. Using the 2U part in a 1U build would cause some interesting results.

Tony
mumblinstevedubya
Thanks Tony,

Not as faint as background noise but a lot quieter than the superladder!

I will check these components out later.

And now for the noobiest question - How do you tell which pip is which on the ICs?

thanks

Steve
Synthbuilder
mumblinstevedubya wrote:
How do you tell which pip is which on the ICs?

The notch on the IC depicts the top which is pin 1 (left) and pin 8 (right0.

Tony
mumblinstevedubya
All sorted!

After checking the voltage across all op amps I noticed that as this was the 1st module I had been a little shy with the solder.

I squirted a bit more onto the IC sockets and that was all that was needed.

It's motherfucking bacon yo

Thanks for all your help Tony

Steve
MuadMusic
Also, exactly which "portable synth from the 70's" might this filter be based on?
(ok, I did some more reading ... The Electro Harmonix Mini Synth ).

Are schematics available for the Croglin? I have completed the kit, but something is definitely not right. Sounds more like an all pass than a low pass.
MuadMusic
p.s. - Tony, I'm loving your recordings!
Synthbuilder
MuadMusic wrote:
...The Electro Harmonix Mini Synth.

That was my inspiration, the final circuit ended up somewhat different.

Quote:
Are schematics available for the Croglin? I have completed the kit, but something is definitely not right. Sounds more like an all pass than a low pass.

Yes. E-mail* me and let me know your board issue number, and I'll send you a copy.

It can sound like an all pass filter with some settings of the Duality and Offset controls. A standard low pass filter can be heard only when duality is in its middle position.

Quote:
I'm loving your recordings!

Thank you. I should have a new album ready at some point in the very near future.

Tony

* Email address is on my website. Green link below.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1