MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Making Mika Vainio-like metallic screeches?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Making Mika Vainio-like metallic screeches?
DrBerndtHoffmann
I'm a big fan of Pan Sonic and have been listening to Mika Vainio's latest album "Life (... It East You Up)".

Now I'm keen to create similar sounds. I'm particularly interested in generating the noises on the "Life..." album that sound like metal being torn up or knives being sharpened.

I got somewhere close by running a feedback loop from the Doepfer A-199 Spring Reverb though a resonant bandpass filter and the WMD Geiger Counter, but not quite close enough...

Any thoughts, tips, etc.?

PS. I make music/noise using just my modular, my mixer and the odd guitar pedal; no sampling, plug-ins or DAWs. I read somewhere that Pan Sonic used modulars, so I was hoping that to keep it that way.
wavecircle
There is an unofficial third member of Pan Sonic who made a load of DIY noise machines and synths for them. If you watch some of their live sets you can see the MFB synth II as well as other bits and pieces.

I think to get close to Pan Sonic you need to be looking at DIY style machines like the King Capitol and Flower Electronics stuff. The 4ms Triwavepicogenerator would be useful for metallic drones. A massive part of the pan sonic sound is the drums they use, I have read that they don't like digital devices so I am always fascinated by how they create their drum sounds. They always seem to have really nice sounding delays and reverbs on their tracks too.

Edit: You may also like Zn'shn:

Zn'shn
DrBerndtHoffmann
Thanks!

I like the idea of Pan Sonic using MFB, given some of the snobbery it receives.

That said, the DIY gear is probably closer to the particular noises I'm interested in.

The closest I've got to DIY was back on the early 90s when my brother built a 4-pole low pass filter to run some Atari ST tracker programme through!

I might start with a 4MS RCD kit and see how I go...

PS. It seems David at Post Modular worked with Pan Sonic too: http://postmodular.co.uk/home/about
unintentional states
That particular album is mostly centered around guitar, so a lot of metallic sounds you're hearing may very well be from actual steel strings plus feedback and reverb.
Soy Sos
I worked with a choreographer who was using a lot of Pan Sonic.
I also felt like I heard some Metasonix like tubey distortion in tracks.
He wanted me to create stuff similar but due to time constraints,
ended up using the Pan Sonic stuff in the final piece. I'd be interested
to hear some of their techniques.
I hadn't heard them before and dug it.
jonah
In the feedback loop you need to use a delay (+ mod is good), flanger, echo, phaser or even a chorus with a high feedback/regen rate.

Ping pong style delays where you can change the spread and offset are good. A comb filter would work/help too.

The effects don't even need to be particularly high quality. I've gotten good results with danelectro pedals. Probably want to run it through an amp at some point. Generally, distortion isn't a necessity, but it can help tame the high end . Run it through reverbs after to mellow the sound as well.

When using pedals y-cables are a cheap and easy way to experiment.

To anyone that does use software, I just pickedup valhalla übermod and it's excellent at this sort of thing, especially if you put multiples in a feedback loop!

Hope this helped some.
thetwlo
on the right track, spring + tubes.
I've gotten similar results: Tellun Neural Agonizer into the Culture Vulture.
But the most important is FEEDBACK!!!
+ levels!!

(feedback + VCAs is likely the trick here)
burnn_out!
jomox t-resonator does the feedback screeching in spades. Really when I owned one it seemed to be what it's best at.
DrBerndtHoffmann
Thanks, everyone! That helps a lot.

It doesn't seem like you need a guitar per se to produce the sounds I'm interested in as there are also some on the final Pan Sonic album. I might borrow one from my Dad and his e-bow just in case though...

I'm definitely looking forward to experimenting more with feedback and VCAs. I've been mostly using filters, but I recently got a 4ms VCA Matrix, which (to my shame) I've only recently begun to explore.

The post about the Tellun Agoniser also reminded me that not so long ago I was lusting after one. I emailed someone about getting one built, but never heard back. Building one myself sadly is probably not an option, because of lack of time/skills...

Finally, can anyone recommend a good Eurorack comb filter? I've not come across one as far as I know.
parasitk
There are some tracks on Gravitoni that have a very Evolver-like feedback sound to them. I've gotten similar sounds using its feedback loop.
thetwlo
DrBerndtHoffmann wrote:

Finally, can anyone recommend a good Eurorack comb filter? I've not come across one as far as I know.

Analogue Systems RS-120 is great!

+1 on the t-res for feedback fun! (be careful)
Luka
I got to see mika vainio play this weekend and he had 2 guitars - drum machine or two and a bunch of effect boxes.
DrBerndtHoffmann
Thanks - was that at CTM? The line-up looked incredible...
Luka
Yup

Ben frost was on before him and stole the show
So epic on berghain's massive function 1 system
burnn_out!
I've been getting awesome metallic drone screeches from my F(o)H INM + knas moisturizer combo. My knas is stock, I'd imagine a fully modded one would only add to the madness.
rockthomas
burnn_out! wrote:
I've been getting awesome metallic drone screeches from my F(o)H INM + knas moisturizer combo. My knas is stock, I'd imagine a fully modded one would only add to the madness.

I think I need to get my soldering iron.
de_raaf
i haven't followed his stuff closely lately, but didn't he (i guess for a album or...) work with the method of recording hardware gear and than cutting it up and treating it in the computer or something like that?
jbaptiste64
I restart the thread to find out if there are new ideas about the sound of Mika Vainio / Pan Sonic
jbaptiste64
parasitk wrote:
There are some tracks on Gravitoni that have a very Evolver-like feedback sound to them. I've gotten similar sounds using its feedback loop.

Do you remember which track in particular?
jbaptiste64
Can someone help me to get the sound of the drone in this piece?
Ring mod + tube maybe (with a sawtooth)?
Fuzz?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGX6RTUVqPw[/video]

Thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1