MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Muslimgauze: The Godking of Loop and Fatness
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Author Muslimgauze: The Godking of Loop and Fatness
gruebleengourd
mafouka wrote:

Interesting! Any sources supporting this brief biographical account you provided?

The only sources available are short bits of interviews on the internet. Therefore it must be true, because everything you read on the internet is true.
cycad73
gruebleengourd wrote:
mafouka wrote:

Interesting! Any sources supporting this brief biographical account you provided?

The only sources available are short bits of interviews on the internet. Therefore it must be true, because everything you read on the internet is true.

Asking about sources was a good question and I hope I gave a good answer. Ibrahim Khider wrote basically the only authorized biography in book form, he's hardly some random person spreading stuff on the internet. A quick glance, I hope, will find his articles very thoughtful and well researched.

I found also a vast collection of articles from 1983 to 2016.
http://www.muslimgauze.org/articlesIndex.html
trop
stumbled across muslimgauze about two years ago and was instantly blown away by how good his stuff is and also just the huge amount of music he produced. love to listen when I'm reading. gonna dive into those articles when I have some down time at work because I would love to know more about this guy. my favorites are probably Veiled Sisters or the United States of Islam
Funky40
Scories wrote:
I'd be curious to know his tricks for those nasty drop-outs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7ghHbkylQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JGIpnX9x8&t=304s

the second link is by far my favorite of all the ones i heard the last two days.

edit: the nasty drop outs in this one:
From what i read yesterday in this thread, my guesses goes in direction:
remiked Guitar amp with a loose contact on the input or so, just the jack or the cable, ...and then some professional wiggling "on" that part wink lol seriously.
or some other units/amps with defective parts.......
i suspect its that simple.

edit2: there was once a guy in the octatrack forum (user: "aikighost" ) who posted sample chains with samples from a broke guitar amp. sounds like that wink
wackelpeter
Funky40 wrote:
edit: the nasty drop outs in this one:
From what i read yesterday in this thread, my guesses goes in direction:
remiked Guitar amp with a loose contact on the input or so, just the jack or the cable, ...and then some professional wiggling "on" that part wink lol seriously.
or some other units/amps with defective parts.......
i suspect its that simple.
wink

yep, could also be a broken amp or mixing desk Input or Output... once had something like this on an older Technics amp for my home Stereo... grilled the Output stage while listening on headphones and pumping the volume heavily up… soon there was a strange smell in the air and since then the ouput sometimes dropped out, totally distorted and with a small hit on the amp or by turning the volume up or down it disappeared…
Maybe less cotrollable but could be sampled and then worked on...
Panason
What a strange story. I'm no friend of Israel but he went to some extremes in identifying with the oppressed. It's naive to romanticise Islam as some kind of answer to western colonialism.

The constant middle eastern / muslim theme to his music is a turn-off for me but yeah he had a great sound.
IanEye
proteus-ix
I take him at his word that he only used analog recording gear. He seemed to be "on the spectrum", and despite the fact that his use of drum machines obscures his point about not using samplers or computers, nothing he said seems blatantly inaccurate. But maybe he wasn't as smooth in articulating himself as someone else might be. And maybe he didn't really care either.

In the end, no one has even seemed to TRY and replicate his process, much less succeed in getting his results. And few, if any, have created so much work with such a consistently high level of art.

I have always fit him in with Merzbow, in the sense of 80s-originating process-oriented sound artists. And yet Merzbow's extreme sound provides more "social cred" for fans, where MG's clearly unpopular views meant one had to engage his message in just about any conversation about his music.

We should all be so lucky to succeed at such a high level as artists.
pianoscope
It’s totally possible his musics rhythmic foundation comprises of multitracked tape loops, and he can be taken at his word. In fact listening to what is fluid and what is fixed, to me the music suggests that it is tape based.

Even with drum machines the loops usually don't have variations, breaks or fills, the various other layers of looping sounds are generally synced to the same length. No evidence of echoplex multiplying.

Considering his amazing creativity in generating interest through muting, gates on the desk etc if he was using samplers or an echoplex I would expect more tell tale signs of their particular ways of manipulating audio. He goes so deeply into other areas odd how wouldn’t do that with them, never going beyond the most basic looping. Ditto using a sequencer to trigger loops, again no audible evidence, ever. (sample re starts, stuttering, etc) Trying to remember what other multitrack digital loopers we had back in the early nineties...?

“ I don’t use samplers because I don’t want to sound like anyone else.” Precisely, and he doesn’t.

The absence of any sloppy edit is a compelling argument for samplers and loopers, but drum edits are the easiest to do, and it’s not a stretch to imagine he started with the drums/ percussion and rejected any thumps and bumps. Tape editing was pretty highly advanced back then much more so than now with the current practitioners who just tend to do the easy drone arhythmic and ambient stuff. I was making multitrack tape loops as a kid editing acoustic piano without any bumps.

I could imagine he worked at home with a looped multitrack and other tape players, then took a multitrack master to a studio where he committed a live dub to tape using whatever gear they had lying around. This could explain why he doesn’t seem to be deeply into one single piece of kit other than the tape recorder. I just don’t feel his main instrument was the sampler.

His uses of the basics is without equal. EQ, gates, reverbs, muting, panning, the mixing desk as an instrument. I feel his personal presence in the room when I listen to his music, like an invisible performer.
Making more with less.
True art.
IanEye

I saw this out of the corner of my eye, and thought it was some unearthed Muslimgauze tracks.

It is not.
Nice to have on in the background though...
wackelpeter
Just want to throw in that the great (and by my personal taste absolutely best and outstanding) Muslimgauze Album Azazzin got a relaunch on double Vinyl from Staalplaat.

The die-hard fanatics and regular Muslimgauze followers might already know it, but for all others i think this one particular is a really great adventurous journey in Sound really worth to check out...

...and well, i'm not Advertising on Staalplaat's behalf, i just beat the drums for a record i personally really adore… grin
pianoscope
Thanks for the tip! Great to have that on heavyweight LP
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Page 3 of 3