MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

TRS for standard Volta operation?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author TRS for standard Volta operation?
Bath House
I can't quite find the answer to this on the official site - should one use standard 1/4" TRS cables for the Volta? I tend to only keep "patch" cables around, which are not TRS, just TS.
Ranxerox
You should use T-S cables. As a rule all modular synth CV connections are made via two-pin connectors, be they 1/4", 1/8", banana-jack or whatever. Obviously Volta is intended with this in mind.
1nput0utput
It would be better to use TRS-to-TS cables with the TRS ring left unconnected. If you use TS-to-TS cables, the interface output's ring conductor will be shorted to ground.
bar|none
See stretta's post on page one of Volta thread

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4104&start=0

>These aren't the cables you should use, though. You should use 1/4" TRS to TS cables, with the ring 'floating' A normal 1/4" TS cable will short the ring. The audio interface will attempt to keep the signal balanced and with DC voltages, this isn't a great idea.

He also said that T-S to T-S will work, just not ideal.

The one thing I'd like to know is if it's just not a great idea, or whether it actually affects the voltage range. It's gonna be awhile before I can figure out how to assemble such a cable as it's not exactly off the shelf.
bar|none
I think I just figured out what I'm going to do. I have a little blank metal pedal box that would be perfect to make a little patch bay.

1/4 TRS jacks in, with 1/8 T-S jacks I can patch regular cords to. I can wire it to make the sleeve float.

Again, gonna take a weekend morning to get that done.
1nput0utput
bar|none wrote:
I think I just figured out what I'm going to do. I have a little blank metal pedal box that would be perfect to make a little patch bay.

1/4 TRS jacks in, with 1/8 T-S jacks I can patch regular cords to. I can wire it to make the sleeve float.

Again, gonna take a weekend morning to get that done.

That's a great idea. Then you can use all "standard" cables.
Bath House
I'm sorry, maybe I'm not understanding something here; are we saying that Volta requires/recommends special cables that don't really exist unless you make them by hand? What is a "floating ring" and why is this preferable? Isn't "floating the ring" the same as only plugging a TRS 1/4" in half way?

I'm sure it was tongue-in-cheek, but Stretta's "using standard cables probably won't fry the interface" line makes me do this eek! eek! eek! when I just spent a whole paycheck on an 828 mkIII.
alt-mode
The problem is that the MOTU audio interfaces are balanced and what you want is an unbalanced CV signal. Just using TS->TS cables will work but there is concern that this could end up blowing out the interface over time because the interface will be trying to drive current essentially to the ground from the ring connection. So, to be safe, it is recommended that you use TRS->TS cables understanding that you will need to make these.

I have been getting away with using TRS->TRS cables and hoping that the sleeve isn't getting grounded in my modular. I'm considering building some "Volta Pods" by taking some TRS->TRS snakes, cutting them in half and wiring up a box that has 1/4", 3.5mm, and banana jacks for interfacing to anything.

Eric
Bath House
alt-mode wrote:
The problem is that the MOTU audio interfaces are balanced and what you want is an unbalanced CV signal. Just using TS->TS cables will work but there is concern that this could end up blowing out the interface over time because the interface will be trying to drive current essentially to the ground from the ring connection. So, to be safe, it is recommended that you use TRS->TS cables understanding that you will need to make these.

I have been getting away with using TRS->TRS cables and hoping that the sleeve isn't getting grounded in my modular. I'm considering building some "Volta Pods" by taking some TRS->TRS snakes, cutting them in half and wiring up a box that has 1/4", 3.5mm, and banana jacks for interfacing to anything.

Eric


How bizarre! I can't imagine that MOTU would release a mainstream product that requires such a consideration. Is there a place to buy the "right" cables, or is this literally something that could only be hand-made?

I'm actually reconsidering my Volta and 828 purchase because of this, at least until there's a mainstream "off-the-shelf" solution. I'm a musician, not a cable hobbyist, and I'm not going to buy something that will damage the apparatus that I use to record with unless I take up cable-tweaking as a hobby. I can't believe there's no enormous caveat or warning about this on the Volta product page....surely there's one in the manual? This is incredibly disappointing. angry

Unless someone on here starts making and selling the "right" cables...
bar|none
Well it works fine without special cables, so I think you'd be missing out by not going for it. I'm using the wrong cables. Stretta used the wrong cables the whole time he was using it.

I think honestly we are lucky MOTU released this product at all given how insanely small and weird and varied the modular world is. There is a list of audio interfaces and what cables are required in the appendix of the docs, also it is on the website.

Obviously no cable company or breakout box company is going to bother producing anything for such a small market.
goiks
I'm not entirely clear on the cabling issue and would like to understand better -

Would there be any problem with using a 1/4" TRS plug at the MOTU interface end, connected to a standard 1/8' mono (2-conductor) cable, but only connected to the tip and sleeve of the 1/4" plug?

Basically I'd like to chop the end off a standard 1/8" cable (because that's what I have) and put a 1/4" TRS plug on it, leaving the ring unconnected. Seems like it would be OK, since the ring wouldn't be connected to anything at all...but based on posts here I'm a little confused.
goiks
Bath House wrote:

How bizarre! I can't imagine that MOTU would release a mainstream product that requires such a consideration. Is there a place to buy the "right" cables, or is this literally something that could only be hand-made?

I'm actually reconsidering my Volta and 828 purchase because of this, at least until there's a mainstream "off-the-shelf" solution. I'm a musician, not a cable hobbyist, and I'm not going to buy something that will damage the apparatus that I use to record with unless I take up cable-tweaking as a hobby. I can't believe there's no enormous caveat or warning about this on the Volta product page....surely there's one in the manual? This is incredibly disappointing. angry

Unless someone on here starts making and selling the "right" cables...


Mainstream "off the shelf" modulars??! lol

Respectfully, perhaps you're not the in target market for Volta if you don't rightfully claim your inner technician...
bar|none
Yeah, you got it, that's the ideal cable. The ring is connected to nothing.
Bath House
All right, I'll officially put this out there: if anyone is making a batch of 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TS with the ring-to-nowhere cables, I'll pay you for a set of five or so.
goiks
I bet you could get a soldering iron for less! It's really not that hard, and doesn't take that much time. I think you might think it's a bigger deal than it is; a couple of years ago I had never soldered a cable, but it was pretty empowering to do so. When my first DIY module fired right up it was even better. To each their own, however.
Bath House
goiks wrote:
I bet you could get a soldering iron for less! It's really not that hard, and doesn't take that much time. I think you might think it's a bigger deal than it is; a couple of years ago I had never soldered a cable, but it was pretty empowering to do so. When my first DIY module fired right up it was even better. To each their own, however.


Oh, I already solder stuff and build projects and so on. This is a matter of principle for me - I have a real bee in my bonnet about being an active musician vs. being a tinkerer/hobbyist, and I draw the line at building cables. Build an x0xb0x or MFOS WSG, sure.....cut, strip, and solder cables, forget it.
Bath House
doble!
bar|none
Here's an option.

Get one of these.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/MHB350--Main

Then open it up and clip the ring wires so they float.

So you patch 1/4 TRS from your interface to it. Then 1/4 TS -> 1/8 TS to your modular.
egon77
I sort of agree that it is kinda lame that in order to use Volta with peace of mind you have to either build your own cable or have it made by another individual. The manual could've included some resources for how or where to get your needed cable.

Anywho, I have done a little research and I found a very simple diagram for those who would like it on how to make one of these cables (TRS to TS "floating ring").

here is the link. You'll have to scroll down a bit to find it. It is number 11 on the diagram.

http://diy-central.com/HowToCreateYourOwnDIYCablesXLRTRSStudioCables.a spx

If others out there who know a little more on this subject could check the link and verify that it is correct.

Thanks

BTW- Barnone, I am a big monome user and I just wanted to tell you I have been having loads of fun with this new release of seven up live. It is one of the sickest applications for the monome. Thanks for all the hard work.
bar|none
Hey thanks! What is your monome.org username? Maybe post a video if you get the chance. Cheers.
Bath House
bar|none wrote:
Here's an option.

Get one of these.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/MHB350--Main

Then open it up and clip the ring wires so they float.

So you patch 1/4 TRS from your interface to it. Then 1/4 TS -> 1/8 TS to your modular.


Ugh. I mean, I guess it's A solution, but the major appeal of Volta for me is the workflow and clutter factor; finally it's (well, it's pitched as) as simple as just running one cable between your interface and synth. An end to all of these extra converter boxes and cables and clutter and other workflow-impeding elements that somehow get more in the way of inspiration and creativity than you'd expect them to. Volta appeared to finally be a "one-click solution" for integrating the modular and DAW worlds, and it just really bums me out to see something like this come along at the last second. I mean if I'm going to need to build my own cables or use a patchbay that I have to do some surgery on or other hacker-level solutions, I feel like we're back to square one. :(
1nput0utput
egon77 wrote:
The manual could've included some resources for how or where to get your needed cable.

The manual does explain how to wire the cables you need according to which interface you're using.

egon77 wrote:
Anywho, I have done a little research and I found a very simple diagram for those who would like it on how to make one of these cables (TRS to TS "floating ring").

here is the link. You'll have to scroll down a bit to find it. It is number 11 on the diagram.

http://diy-central.com/HowToCreateYourOwnDIYCablesXLRTRSStudioCables.a spx

If others out there who know a little more on this subject could check the link and verify that it is correct.

The ring is not floating in #11. You want #9.
egon77
Thanks for the clarification. Number 9 is the correct one. I appreciate that.

as for the manual explaining how to wire the correct cable, I would love if you could point me to the page.

All I see is page 12 on cables which basically refers you to the table in Appendix B on page 47. On page 47 it clarifies which cables should be used for which output for your MOTU interface but goes no deeper than "you should use this cable"

Many of you probably already know exactly what "TRS to TS (ring floating)" means in reference to cables but I didn't. Not that a little research is so hard but myself as an example, I thought it was number #11. If you hadn't of steered me in the right direction I would've soldered it the wrong way. The manual didn't lead me anywhere other then "I better google that"

Although, this forum should be a big help to others.
ripe909
I'm not a volta user, but if you really want to avoid soldering cables you should be able to use an insert cable such as these: insert cable

You can either leave the ring plug disconnected or cut it off.

cheers
ripe
Johnisfaster
I've got an ultralite mk1 on the way.

I'm confused on the matter of the cables like probably a few others around here. why would cutting the ring out of a trs cable be any different than using a trs 1/4'' to 1/8'' adapter with an 1/8'' patch cable going to the modular?

would that not be a good idea?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group