MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

NASA Workmanship Standards: Soldering
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author NASA Workmanship Standards: Soldering
decaying.sine
I thought this was a cool site. I think Paul S. said he meets these standards/is certified. I'm always trying to improve my soldering skills so it was neat to see these things spelled out.

Note: none of my PCB constructions are shuttle ready!


http://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2%20books/links/sections/601%20Ge neral%20Requirements.html

*edited--02/15/2013--added a pdf of the site above
andrewF
I've seen something like that before (or maybe same thing hmmm..... )
anyway its a good guide
tho
who among us shrouds their diodes in heat-shrink before installing? evil
Tombola
I'm just going to pretend I never saw that.
gwaidan
Most of that seems pretty sensible advice. The heat-shrinking of diodes referred specifically to situations when they would be receiving epoxy coatings-I never realised that glass and epoxy don't mix!
daverj
andrewF wrote:

who among us shrouds their diodes in heat-shrink before installing? evil


It only says to do that if the board is going to be epoxy or conformal coated, or the parts are subject to damage from other objects. (like some mechanical thing that could hit the glass diodes)
daverj
gwaidan wrote:
... I never realised that glass and epoxy don't mix!


It's not a chemical issue. Epoxy expands with temperature and moisture, which will crack glass diodes. The heat shrink gives a flexible layer between the glass and epoxy that can take up the stress.
sduck
unacceptable.
a.b.o.z.
That link is one my first DIY resources. I say it's a must to follow but that's only me smile
Tim Stinchcombe
decaying.sine wrote:
http://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2%20books/links/sections/601%20Ge neral%20Requirements.html
Useful link! Here is the top-level if anyone else, like me, is interested to see what else they have to say:

http://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2%20books/frameset.html

Interestingly enough, whilst there is a page covering the addition of wire straps, I couldn't spot anything about actually cutting and/or repairing PCB traces?

Tim
emdot_ambient
No piggybacking? But it wouldn't be DIY without kludges like that!
JohnLRice
I think the diode shroud makes good sense for zero G enviroments, you don't want tiny chips/slivers of glass floating around the cabin and getting in your mouth, lungs or eyes etc Smacked in the head with a trout
decaying.sine
Tim Stinchcombe wrote:
decaying.sine wrote:
http://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2%20books/links/sections/601%20Ge neral%20Requirements.html
Useful link! Here is the top-level if anyone else, like me, is interested to see what else they have to say:

http://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2%20books/frameset.html

Interestingly enough, whilst there is a page covering the addition of wire straps, I couldn't spot anything about actually cutting and/or repairing PCB traces?

Tim


Whoa. I didn't see all that. Nice.
Luka
wish i had seen this a few years ago
nice link
Protofrangiste
Great ressource, thanks!
pugix
What! I can't piggyback parts! hihi
paults
The piggy-backing has a clause about 'specifically designed' so slap those tempcos on the top!

Yes, In 1979 I used to teach this stuff. You are making me feel old.
negativspace
In 1979 I was ... well, born. hihi

If you go up to the main page and check the section on 'deadbugs' there are some guidelines for piggybacking parts.
bkbirge
I work at NASA so by definition all my stuff is up to NASA workmanship standards right? Even though I man a computer 99% of the time. LOL. Cool link for sure.
sheboigo
From now on my soldering is going to be AWESOME!!! This is fun!
decaying.sine
sheboigo wrote:
From now on my soldering is going to be AWESOME!!! This is fun!


SlayerBadger!
decaying.sine
I still fail the leads being bent no more than 30 degrees from vertical to be retained during soldering. I always go beyond 30 very frustrating
decaying.sine
Added a pdf of the website in the original post in case the whole interweb blows and all that is left is Muff's.
djs
decaying.sine wrote:
Added a pdf of the website in the original post in case the whole interweb blows and all that is left is Muff's.


If their website goes down, then clearly their "workmanship standards" isn't so great!

(troll-mode off)
crochambeau
Precisionist assembly and the technical write up has a typo: "straingt" (page 4, lower right). It's the small stuff that'll bite you in the ass.

..and people wonder why we're not camped out on the moon!

(troll-mode off)

Fantastic links, way to keep me humble.
marvkaye
I especially like the different specs for soldering parts to boards with plated through holes versus non-plated single side construction... interesting stuff. The rest of the guide has tons of other great info as well... wire preparation, terminal crimping, etc. Quite the education.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group