MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Opinions on RENE?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Opinions on RENE?
aristotle
I have lusted after this thing since before it came out - and now I think I am finally gonna do it - have read the manual and understand it for the most part I think - not sure of the logic stuff because I have never owned a logic module -

I will be coming from an A155 and 156.

What is everyones opinion - seems like it has a ton stuff to experiment with on top of the fact that it is an XY with separate clocks at its heart....Im looking forward to it-

owners give me your opinions?
wselman
I'm happy with it. Ive had it for a couple of months but I feel like I'm still scratching the surface.

Where it excells:
1. Generating note patterns and variations
2. A playable interface for creating variations
3. Creating complexity with logic functions

Limitations (of sorts):
1. Getting different length note gates can be tricky.
2. Some people hate the limited amount of menu diving.

If you don't have one one, you are really going to want a clock divider. I have the 160, but I imagine it would be cooler with the RCD (and even an SCM).
stk
I really like it, but have only just scratched the surface, generating and messing with tonal sequences.

I really like tickling the mod inputs with Maths to scrub through sequences in a glitchy ratcheting fashion.

I keep meaning to find the time to delve into its more advanced features hmmm.....
Soundoferror
It's awesome. Menu is simple and easy to learn/access. Nice to be able to touch plates and lock between 2 of them interrupting the sequence.
Navs
It's a fantastically flexible sequencer, almost too well featured - it reminded me of a single channel of my Sequentix P3. But that was also part of the problem: I wanted either more or less from it.

In the end, I bought another Pressure Points instead. The combination of Maths, Brains and two PP is more in line with what I want from an 'analogue' sequencer.
koobraelc
I have the same problem.
Should I sell z8000 and get a RENE? d'oh!
jenamu6
i've had it for 4 weeks.............could not gel with it.

I love makenoise stuff, but this one was too cryptic for me.
aristotle
Thats a good point - I also love Make Noise stuff but sometimes his modules go over my head and it becomes a bit confusing and cryptic - though I think I have a good understanding of the basics of RENE from reading - some of it still baffles me though.
aristotle
koobraelc wrote:
I have the same problem.
Should I sell z8000 and get a RENE? d'oh!

I also considered the z8000 but I have always leaned a little more to the RENE for gate out, quatinizer etc
Rene is one of the coolest things in the world of synthesizers

...ever
Juxwl
Love my Rene! As has been said, it is very playable, as opposed to a sequencer that you just watch run through the steps. The modulation and cv ins are great and the built in real-time quantizer tops it all off. My only gripe is that the touch pads are not very sensitive to dry fingers.
lukas412
I sold my z8k and got rene. I really like rene, but really miss the z8k. Totally different beasts that would really work nicely together. Someday Ill add the z8k back in.
aristotle
Juxwl wrote:
My only gripe is that the touch pads are not very sensitive to dry fingers.

I thought there was an adjustment for that - or is that only on the PP?
wselman
aristotle wrote:
Juxwl wrote:

The rightmost of the three small knobs adjacent to the cv inputs.
koobraelc
lukas412 wrote:
I sold my z8k and got rene. I really like rene, but really miss the z8k. Totally different beasts that would really work nicely together. Someday Ill add the z8k back in.

Now, I also wanna sell my z8k...
maybe someday I will have the same feel like you.
Juxwl
wselman wrote:
aristotle wrote:
Juxwl wrote:

The rightmost of the three small knobs adjacent to the cv inputs.

Even with the touch sensitivity knob set to max, it can be difficult to manipulate with dry hands.
nickciontea
my only downside to RENE is as follows.

If i run a z8000 out to an attenuator and then into a quantizer.. I can use the entire pot rotation to scrub a small area like an octave for bass sequencing..

on the rene with the quantizer internal. you don't have this option. so dialing in small regions of notes becomes less attractive

I have heard there are possible updates to the code that could do other things and even possibly this.. At the same time I have never heard anything definitive in regards to this... Just that it as been thought about.

truthfully i don't think it would ever happen.. to have to re-document Rene, a module that Tony has already stated being behind on documenting would be a large task. not to mention the programming
lukas412
nickciontea wrote:

I have heard there are possible updates to the code that could do other things and even possibly this.. At the same time I have never heard anything definitive in regards to this... Just that it as been thought about.

truthfully i don't think it would ever happen.. to have to re-document Rene, a module that Tony has already stated being behind on documenting would be a large task. not to mention the programming

I have a feeling this will happen, but it is my understanding that current versions of Rene are not software upgradeable and that any fixes will come in a new version. Please correct me if I have misunderstood this.

Luke
ignatius
nickciontea wrote:

If i run a z8000 out to an attenuator and then into a quantizer.. I can use the entire pot rotation to scrub a small area like an octave for bass sequencing..

on the rene with the quantizer internal. you don't have this option. so dialing in small regions of notes becomes less attractive

doesn't RENE have an unquantized out as well as the quantized out?
zdarma
ignatius wrote:
nickciontea wrote:

doesn't RENE have an unquantized out as well as the quantized out?

yes, it does.
aristotle
zdarma, I would love to have a poster of your avatar image - it is awesome! Is that Stalin?
zdarma
I have never tried the 154/155, but Rene's snake mode makes it really easy to get a sequence going. I still have not fully taken advantage of all the logic functions, but the ones I use are easy to remember. I also have not utilized the playable aspect as much as I thought I would, but recently moved it to a skiff to experiment more with it. The built-in quantizer is handy, as are the two gate outs, but I never use some stuff, like the saved quantized notes function. So I get a fair amount of use out of Rene, but like others have stated there is a lot of functionality there and you need to invest a fair amount of time with it if you really want to get the most out of it. I also have Brains+PP, uStep and z8000 and never really feel there is an overlap. The z8000 is used in a totally different way and they complement each other. Great for sequencing each other. I think Rene would be better than z8000 in a smaller system if you are just looking for notes, z8000 definitely needs a phalanx of support modules to shine (rcd, ustep, logic, switches). None of them have a built-in clock.

aristotle wrote:
zdarma, I would love to have a poster of your avatar image - it is awesome! Is that Stalin?

It is a picture of the Japanese war tubas of Emperor Shôwa
mudlogger
I really like it.

I didn't gel with it for a good 6 months and lent more on the PP + Brains combo.

It wasn't until i understood RCD/RCM+RCM breakout combo.......then things started to fall into place.

Putting all those different clocks into all the inputs of Rene.....then playing about with the logic menu's (X/Y FUN) brought the smile back.
bluemeanie
love it to bits
makenoise says it all really

"The primary goal of this sequencer is to have a maximum amount of artst controlled musical variaton,
with a minimum amount of data input. There are no menus, ALL editng is done real-tme, and thus, the
ProGraMming of René becomes a key performance element."

nanners

performance,performance,performance,performance

aint nothing wrong with traditional program the sequence then play with the rest of your synth, but, if you like to fiddle with the sequence in a musical way in real time, fuck me its insane

the end

wselman
I agree!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3