MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioWiggler Radio   SearchSearch   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsBlog & News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 

4MS Eurorack power distribution / busboard PCBs on sale 
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY
Author 4MS Eurorack power distribution / busboard PCBs on sale

Monobass









I have all the other 4ms kits in stock too.

http://www.thonk.co.uk/product-category/4ms/


 

slow_riot









did anybody else read any post that Graham Hinton has made about power distribution, power filtering and safety devices? It's a shame that it's possible for shoddy products to continue to define standards, especially when the information is freely available. This takes the weak points of the Deopfer bus boards and adds a load of new errors, and the information detailing these mistakes and how to do it properly is on the forum.
 

kssm









I used two of these distro boards on my 9U (69HP) cvThree case, and they have been working great. 4ms told me that the advantage of having the fuses on individual boards is so that you can identify the faulty issue without having to take down the whole system. I jumped the fuses actually, since I'm using it on a small system. You can easily jump them.
The filter caps on there work sufficiently, and I've experienced no signal bleeding with any modules I've installed in the case. Of course, none of the modules I have are known to have designs that cause any bleed.
 

JJCarr









kssm wrote:
I used two of these distro boards on my 9U (69HP) cvThree case, and they have been working great. 4ms told me that the advantage of having the fuses on individual boards is so that you can identify the faulty issue without having to take down the whole system. I jumped the fuses actually, since I'm using it on a small system. You can easily jump them.
The filter caps on there work sufficiently, and I've experienced no signal bleeding with any modules I've installed in the case. Of course, none of the modules I have are known to have designs that cause any bleed.


thumbs up
Agreed! kssm and I built 2x of these in each of our cases and have had no issues.
 

JJCarr









in fact, these were the only bus boards we could find that actually fit in our tiny cases! you can cut them to custom lengths so they fit in tight spaces/diy cases.
 

waveglider









+1, these are great, especially that they have shrouded, keys headers! SlayerBadger!
 

slow_riot









The decoupling caps need to be per module after the distro to do anything.

In a system with mixed modules where you can't predict what interactions would occur any source of interference and crosstalk should be minimised, and minimum impedance is a major design criteria of a modular distro.

What circumstances will the polyfuses configured in this manner prevent harm to modules? I can understand how they would work if they were on a per module basis but I haven't done the research with them on the rails. Can someone comment on exactly which situations will they prevent harm to modules? Do they also affect impedance?
 

waveglider









This raises a fair point, especially what happens when the negative rail PTC fuse opens up? Isn't it bad to lose only one rail to a module while the other is still active?
I bypassed the fuses on my strip for this reason and am leaving the overdraw protection on the AC side of my power supply.
 

kssm









Quote:
In a system with mixed modules where you can't predict what interactions would occur any source of interference and crosstalk should be minimised, and minimum impedance is a major design criteria of a modular distro.


Very true. From my experience, using any module that has a poor power filtration system or one that gives out a lot of noise on the rails, will bleed through to other modules--no matter what fuses or distribution that board has.

Quote:

What circumstances will the polyfuses configured in this manner prevent harm to modules? I can understand how they would work if they were on a per module basis but I haven't done the research with them on the rails. Can someone comment on exactly which situations will they prevent harm to modules? Do they also affect impedance?


From what I gathered from an email conversation, it seems that the advantage comes in with using multiple rows. I asked about the fuses creating higher DC resistance before, and this is what they replied to me.

"The resistance of the fuses plus the bypass capacitors after them actually create an RC- filtered isolation chamber for each row. So modules on different rows will be somewhat more isolated from each other than modules on the same row."

waveglider- thumbs up It's always good to have a fuse to protect from AC problems!
 

stinkfist









I'm looking at picking one of these up..

I've got 2 rows 84hp There is 982 mA on the +12v and 477mA on the -12v and no 5v needed.

How would i go about wiring one of these up? What power supply would i need..?

At the moment i'm using a TipTop Audio uZeus with 3 flying bus connectors powered by a 15v 1200mA wallwart - the faceplate to the uZeus is getting quite hot !!!

I can solder a little bit and any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
 

fuzzbass









stinkfist wrote:
I'm looking at picking one of these up..

I've got 2 rows 84hp There is 982 mA on the +12v and 477mA on the -12v and no 5v needed.

How would i go about wiring one of these up? What power supply would i need..?

At the moment i'm using a TipTop Audio uZeus with 3 flying bus connectors powered by a 15v 1200mA wallwart - the faceplate to the uZeus is getting quite hot !!!

I can solder a little bit and any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !


Of course it all comes down to how many modules you install and how thirsty they are, but I have now built two 252HP (3x84HP) cases and each one of them was been satisfied with a single 4Ms distro board (max 21 connections). My cases each have 1.7A linear power supplies (Power-One HBB15-1.5A). For my needs, I would not go with a lower capacity supply. You may get away with a smaller smaller supply driving 168HP. But I recommend at least 1A.

edit: when looking at capacity, don't look at the rating of your wall wart. I am not familiar with the uZeus, but my guess is that wart is providing 15VDC, and the uZeus is using a switching supply to derive +12VDC and -12VDC from it. So the aggregate power of the wall wart is being split between the + and - rails, minus loss in the PSU. A switching supply becomes less efficient as it approaches it's max load - hence the heat you noticed.

Look at the recommended maximum load of the uZeus to determine your power capacity.
 
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY
 
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group