MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Nord Modular thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next [all]
Author Nord Modular thread
stk
Been spending a bit of time with my Micromod of late and really digging it (yeah I have 12U of choice Euro here, but been too busy/tired/stressed for full on patching sessions).

Getting some awesome westcoastian tones out of the SpectralOsc >Phaser (tip: Phaser with cranked feedback can get well into RES-4 territory), and managed to patch up a passable LPG last night.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/stk/stk-20120108[/s]

Anybody else still do serious time with thee Nord (G1 or 2)?
Morley
thumbs up
stk
Sweet. Would love to spend some time with a G2 some time.

Finally (in my halfarsed quest to remove the laptop from my band's live setup) got around to trying out the G1 vocoder the other week and fuck.. it slays any software vocoder I've ever used.
tIB
G2 engine here, not using mine anywhere near as often as I should... hopefully this thread will inspire me.

Great sounds in that track stk.

EDIT: Funny, I was thinking about a wiggler share your G2 patches thread just yesterday!
jenamu6
Nice LPGlike sounds....
CJ Miller
Nice jams, stk. Don't know if it sounds LPG but I do like it

What a coincidence... I have not put in serious time with it yet - but I just got a G1 late this week. Friday morning I switched it on and checked out the patches on there before bed. Yesterday morning I stayed up way too late loading archive patches to the unit and finding my way around. I love it! I have done some similar stuff with MSP and OASYS PCI, but the G1 is more self-contained and immediate, and a bit higher-level. I have lots of old Macs so the editor is no problem, my main G4 needs some work so I fired up my 8600 (G3 500) and everything connected without a hitch.

I like the sound so far. This is the most fun I have ever had with a digital synth.
stk
Still working on the LPG. Haven't quite managed to get the decay time perfect for pinging.
A lot of the tone of that patch above is due to the 2x Phaser modules.

Today I was modulating the G1 via the Doepfer 192 CV > MIDI. Pretty cool. Patched up a wacko buchla/hertz donut inspired complex waveform generator.
I could imagine a hybrid Euro / G1 rack rig with the G1 serving as the oscillators + filters. Main downside is the G1 oscillator coarse tuning is quantised to semitones (byproduct of having only 128 MIDI steps, I guess).
Drumdrumdrumdrum
I've always been interested in a G1. Incredible bargin and sounding synth for the

The only thing that stopes me is not knowing if it will work on my 2011 iMac?

What do ppl do? Do you have an old Mac dedicated to your G1? If so, how do you sync it up to your main computer/DAW?
CJ Miller
Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:

What do ppl do? Do you have an old Mac dedicated to your G1? If so, how do you sync it up to your main computer/DAW?

I don't have a 2011 Mac, but it seems that people mostly use the newer open-source editor on whatever platform. I have too many computers but I could not imagine doing media work without an OS 9 box, just because I have so much hardware and software for them. Best practice is to use gear from around the same period, and I have lots of late 90s stuff which is still cheap.

I haven't done any sequencing or recording with my G1 yet, but a late model G4 (1GHz +) is adequate for me. Logic 6, SVP, or Max/MSP in OS 9 are powerful enough for me to be comfortable with. And I can boot into 10.4 to run Numerology and whatever Logic I have on there.

On my G1, like my MWXT, what would go a long way towards modern usage would be digital outs.

Also I am becoming less DAW-centric. I am more likely to use dedicated setups for live sequencing and recording. DAWs for me now are just final piecing together into finished tracks
50quidsoundboy
i've got an expanded G1. i've got some great sounds out of it, i need to spend more time on it really, powerful beast but requires a lot of mouse work!
tIB
its funny, I quite like the editting I just so rarely get past the barrier of switching on the damn computer these days... Anyway, Im going for it now!
zapp550
This thread is going to make it all the more clear that i'm missing out on something hihi
tIB
It is... Half an hour in and Im in love once again. Building sequencers was one of the main reasons I bought the G2... incredible!
fac
I have an expanded G2 keys. Bought it new in 2007 (after owning a micromodular for 4 years) and messed with it a lot, but I developed the wrong workflow with it. It's so powerful I always tried to do everything with it, thinking it would be the perfect live machine.

I nearly sold it a couple times, but then I spent a couple hours with it and decided to keep it.

It wasn't until a year ago that I decided to change the way I was trying to use it. I started making single patches instead of full performances, focusing on making a single good sound, instead of an average tune. I stopped trying to make it sound fat and focused instead on textures, weird sequences, and digital stuff that my analog modulars cannot do. And suddently it began to fit into my songs. Sometimes I would make the backbone of a song with the dotcom modular and add a couple of G2 tracks afterwards, sometimes it would be the opposite.

Now I'm planning to sell my other polyphonic synths (Nord Lead 3 and Prophet 08 rack) and keep the G2 as my only polyphonic. The thought of selling it no longer crosses my mind and I've decided to keep my 2003 XP laptop in case I need a dedicated computer for the G2 editor in the future.
Biff
Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:
I've always been interested in a G1. Incredible bargin and sounding synth for the

I own a G1 and have a MacBook pro. The best way I've found to use the editor is to just run Windows on a program like Virtual Box. Works perfect then, but I had to get a way more computer savvy friend to install it.

Everything else works perfect on my daw (ie program and parameter changes)
tIB
I was on the fence a little while about selling mine, though what I need to do is just make sure the computer goes on everytime I have more than an hour to work. It's worth keeping as a sequencer alone, never mind all the other nice stuff it can do... so quick to patch up a load of sequencers, switches and clock dividers to interact with one another, far cheaper to work in G2 and send it to the kenton than with hardware modular seqeuncers. Cheers stk, after asking a friend to make an offer on mine yesterday I politely told him to fuck off today!
Monobass
yeah I did serious time with both, bought both pretty soon after they came out.

I loved the spectral oscillators on the NM1, the lack of that kind of tone on the G2 was a bit disappointment for me for quite a while.

The NM1 had more instant character, the G2 had the power to go beyond it but you had to go back to first principles and do lots of waveshaping and stuff to get back to the same place. It was great that you had the power to do that.

I've been thinking recently about getting that Vermona Quad MIDI Interface as it would be great for getting the G2 to talk to the Euro.. I do love the G2 sequencing. It got me used to being able to have 10 sequencers running though and infinite VCAs wink
dualmono
Just installed Clavias official beta of the editor for mac OS X and did a backup and empty patch wipe of the whole memory (damn you topic starter) to counter flash memory corruption.
Uploaded (or rather downloaded in Clavias terms x) )my important patches.
Everything working flawless. This is on 10.6.8 and a 2.4 GHz quad core Macbook Pro late 2011 and a Nord Modular Keyboard G1.
dualmono
Haha, scratch flawless. hihi
The editor crashes when right-clicking a module and clicking delete in the context menu, but selecting the module with left mouse button and deleting with the delete key on the keyboard works.
tIB
I'm not done with this one yet but here's todays G2 related play.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/tib/g2-sequence-fun[/s]

G2 sequencing euro, alongside bug modular and OT... bit of MD too... and some monomachine...
stk
Great to see interest out there smile
I wasn't aware there were editor issues on new Macs (don't use 'em myself), running fine on XP here, haven't tried W7.

I wonder if the editor will run under Linux WINE as a form of futureproofing?
Thighpaulsandra
Running my NM1 on a Macbook with no problems. The vocoder is a lot of fun and using it as an effects device is always fun. I've made some very odd processing patches with BP filters and delays and some huge FM stacks.
The best thing about it is that even in its flightcase it will fit in the overhead locker on a plane. I'd love a G2 but I'd have to keep the G1 as well. It's a pity Clavia didn't develop the concept further.
richard
Nice patch stk. The NM1 is what got me into all this shit. I still love it but haven't got into serious programming with it for years now. I found the G2 disappointing in a way and didn't keep it for long. Much more powerful but a very hard instrument to befriend - never understood why it had four patches instead of just one big one, made the whole concept a bit muddy for me. Sonically the G2 sounds good but pretty much like every other digital synth of the time, the same definitely can't be said about the NM1
wavecircle
richard wrote:
Nice patch stk. The NM1 is what got me into all this shit. I still love it but haven't got into serious programming with it for years now. I found the G2 disappointing in a way and didn't keep it for long. Much more powerful but a very hard instrument to befriend - never understood why it had four patches instead of just one big one, made the whole concept a bit muddy for me. Sonically the G2 sounds good but pretty much like every other digital synth of the time, the same definitely can't be said about the NM1

The mk1 is split into 4 patches also?

I agree, the mk1 sounds unique. The wavewrapping is immense.
richard
my understanding was that the NM1 was split in to 4 patch slots because it needed to be because of the way the processor worked but with the G2 it was a design choice. I might be wrong about that but I seem remember my clever friend who was involved in the development of the G2 telling me something like that.

I have the micro-modular which just has the one patch slot and is up there with the VCS3 as a near-perfect piece of synthesizer design in my book!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next [all]
Page 1 of 34