MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

A137 Wave Multiplier
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author A137 Wave Multiplier
felix
richard wrote:
dougcl wrote:
Don't sell your A-137!

haha! get behind me devil! I may well regret it, but I can't find anything on it like i like more than simply overdriving the input on a moogerfooger

I think I am one of those people who doesn't really "get" this module

Richard

I didn't think I got it either until I came back to it after a while. If you don't have a good "starting point" with the knobs and gain staging, it's very unimpressive. But once you have it right, wow.
richard
wanna give me a clue?

u use it before filter? after filter? sine or other waves in?

before its too late BOOM!

R
astroschnautzer
I feel you richard, I didn`t get this module either, tried too many times and asked even for tips but didn`t get anything useful out of it, watched some videos even that was supposed to be cool but just didn`t get it. The STG wavefolder demo was cool though, that sounded awesome I think.
richard
actually as I'm selling it I should be saying its fucking great!

instead I could say "a lot of people think its fucking great!"

I was wondering about STG actually...

Richard
astroschnautzer
Well, yes, VERY many people think it`s great, I bought it myself because of so many people was hyping this module.
felix
richard wrote:
wanna give me a clue?

u use it before filter? after filter? sine or other waves in?

before its too late BOOM!

Aaaahhh, the pressure!! wink

Yeah, it basically adds harmonics, clipping, etc to the input signal, so *generally* you want to use it before filter. It also wants to see sine or triangle waves. You can feed it Saw/Square but the effect is greatly reduced.

It's not obvious, but gain staging, the input volume and Folding Level are very important to how the waveshaping will work.

Check out the manual, just to understand the basic principles of how the controls operate, and also check this thread, where we discussed good staring places and settings:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3851
richard
thanks I'm gonna give it half an hours testing and if I don't actually shit myself with excitement, its still for sale

w00t

R
doobedy
dougcl wrote:
Don't sell your A-137!

I was thinking the -exact- same thing. Dieter should win some kind of Lifetime Awesomeness Award for that module.

The thing about the A137, seriously, can't be stressed enough, is that it is a touchy son of a bitch. It's so dependent on input level, and really small adjustments in the other knobs. And half the time nothing will come out except amplified noise, but with the right rhythmic input that can be amazing. Even tiny changes in parameters can change the sound quite a bit.

I tend to sweep manually to find sweet spots, then adjust the CV attenuation to keep everything moving in those sweet spots. You can get really lively sounds this way, pretty ones even. I hardly ever gravitate towards ugly sounds, although a lot of the ugly sounds it makes sound HUGE once they are run through a band or lowpass.

The multiples knob is the easiest one to fiddle with, and try starting with a sine wave an octave lower than you think you want.

Edit: here is a sound file. That's just a single sine wave playing a C, and a bit of rhythmic modulation on the A137. Bit more crunch and resonance added by the A108 transistor ladder, but this is the best example I had handy. The filter is static, all movement is the A137.

Edit2: even if you hate the example, maybe it will help you sell it smile Or convince the entire world to stay away and you'll be forced to keep it. Win/Win. Boy this thread is off track.

Edit3: oh yeah, the second half of the file I turned the multiples knob a quarter of a turn. Touchy!
consumed
ive never met a wave multiplier i didnt like and the a137 is no exception. small sine/tri lfo modulation on one or two parameters will create lovely animation. try feeding stepping cvs too, for miniwave-type (wavetable scanning-type) fun.
dougcl
Try this. Send OSC1 sine to A-137. Ring mod with OSC2 sine. Sync OSC2 to OSC1. Now set your A-137 knobs to 9 o'clock. Mess with the A-137 multiples knob and the pitch of OSC2.

Should sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GatVJVcgrp4&fmt=18

Now take the A-137 out of the patch. If that doesn't convince you to keep it, nothing will.
sandyb
if everyone is ok with it i can split this thread and move the a137 stuff to the euro forum? there's some useful information here which will get lost pretty quickly in buy/sell.

sandy
wetterberg
dougcl wrote:
Should sound like this:

Now take the A-137 out of the patch. If that doesn't convince you to keep it, nothing will.
omg, is that 23/16? My ears could be fucked, but I've never heard THAT in a modular patch before! screaming goo yo

felix
sandyb wrote:
if everyone is ok with it i can split this thread and move the a137 stuff to the euro forum? there's some useful information here which will get lost pretty quickly in buy/sell.

sandy

Yeah that would be sweet - especially if you can attach the relevant bits to the end of this thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3851
REwire
In the last five years I have bought and sold the A137 three times. Each time there was some sound I remembered I needed then got sick of. Then frustrated trying to find it's sweet spot. I always tried to sound like the Buchla. Turns out the STG Wave Mult does that one sound I like better than the 137 so I'm finally done with the 137. The Serge WVX sounds much nastier than all of them.

D
astroschnautzer
dougcl wrote:

This did not convince me, pretty boring to my ears actually, but it is a very subjective manner. I sold mine, the STG demos sound pretty much better I think.
ignatzthemouse
richard wrote:
thanks I'm gonna give it half an hours testing and if I don't actually shit myself with excitement, its still for sale

w00t

R

Report back... did you find the brown frequency?
Kent
astroschnautzer wrote:
This did not convince me, pretty boring to my ears actually, but it is a very subjective manner. I sold mine, the STG demos sound pretty much better I think.

The STG is definitely on my 'lust list'. So much so that I reserved a place for it in my Rack Planner set-up. However, I thought that the A-137 sounded great in that demo. Considering that it's processing a sine wave and that the majority of adjustments are being done to the other Osc and the A-137, it sounds pretty cool. Unless I'm missing something.

So, guys; is the only difference between the V1 and the V2 of this thing the phase shifting that occurs on V2?
wetterberg
the a-137-2 is way different - it does that "saw animator" sound.
astroschnautzer
Kent wrote:
astroschnautzer wrote:

I thought that the A-137 sounded great in that demo. Considering that it's processing a sine wave and that the majority of adjustments are being done to the other Osc and the A-137, it sounds pretty cool. Unless I'm missing something.

?
yes or mayby it`s me missing something as there seems to be so much people raving about this module, 95% of the time I agree with the majority about if something "sounds good" or not but this I just didn`t get, I will trust my little subjetiveness on this one.
Kent
As you should. The only one worth pleasing is yourself.

Do you have any other favorites for attaining a similar goal? Care to share?

P.S. Thanks @ Wetterberg
richard
R[/quote]

Report back... did you find the brown frequency?[/quote]

well not exactly, but I spent about three hours with this module. As a drone-noise module its mad and interesting, another layer of frequencies to add to ringmoding and FMing - lots of throbbing gristle kind of sounds. Its also interesting as a kind of uberPWM/wavesequencer for rhythms and more ambient/paddysounds, but then I plenty of other ways to do that kind of thing and it doesn't sound SO great to me in those contexts, just okay.... I wouldn't call it raw, rich, warm or deep sounding...

But the video did actually inspire me, what hit me was how great the QMMG sounded and I realised I've never tried the A137 with my M13 LPG. So I tried that and it sounds great - some of the most satisfyingly woody buchlary sounds I've had from my system, and its very nice how each pitch can be given slightly different frequency content - so maybe for me the reason to have an A137 is how well it the frequencies it creates seem to hit vactoral gates... on the other hand it seems to have a module specifically for creating a shitload of frequencies, 99% of which i will shave off with a low pass! But I think I'd better keep it at least long enough to really explore this aspect....

So thank you all, this was a really fun process considering it started with me trying to sell the module, and i learned something too.

coupla questions:

Any opinions of the model 25 waveshaper?

Is there anything that really does sound like a buchla?

Unfortunately, if I don't sell the A137 I don't have money for the PLL I am wanting so much, so maybe one of you guys could give me one? After all its your fault all this happened? hihi

Richard
astroschnautzer
Well no actually I don`t have, I would like something similar but with a different sound, I think the STG sounded like something I would be interested in, for example sine bass lines tend to sound sick on high volumes and big monitors but as soon as you lower the volume or listen with smaller speakers the feeling is gone, so I would need something nice to get overtones to sines, well don`t know if the wave folder is the best way to go for this, I could of course do it he other way and use a filter on a saw or square wave w00t oh wait, the bitcrusher I use for similar things, to make harmonic rich thing from sines and triangles, and I like it alot but it isn`t the same thing is it?
astroschnautzer
richard wrote:
R

Unfortunately, if I don't sell the A137 I don't have money for the PLL I am wanting so much, so maybe one of you guys could give me one? After all its your fault all this happened? hihi

Richard[/quote]I could give you a a-137 (if I had one). razz Mr. Green
Kent
astroschnautzer wrote:
... for example sine bass lines tend to sound sick on high volumes and big monitors but as soon as you lower the volume or listen with smaller speakers the feeling is gone...

A good way to cheat is to simply layer a Saw, or other wave, an octave above your primary bass line. This Saw will be overpowered by the fat Sine on larger systems. On smaller systems, it will be heard and help to convey the bassline that has disappeared.
astroschnautzer
yo thanks for the tip, I just wont be getting that on my allready audiofied basslines...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3