MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Famous people using yellow
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Famous people using yellow
metasonix
This thread is a catch-all for examples of famous folk with Metasonix.
Many of you have seen these photos before, but they're spread all over
the place, so I'm collecting them.

First we start with Tom Rowlands of Chemical Brothers.
I see an Agonizer and a TM7. (That E-Mu modular belongs in a museum.)
metasonix
Thank you, gentlemen. I have photos.

Mr. Reznor's modular, the most recent photo I could find. He's bought some R modules since then.
In fact, Trent always seems to want serial number 1 of every new Metasonix device.

Same thing with the D-1000 drum machine. I had to send the prototype so he could work on that "How To Destroy Angels" album in early 2010. Shown here in the notorious WIRED magazine spread. His wife is standing in front of Fucking Fucker #1.

Stumbled across this 2008 interview with Trent, by Digg founder Kevin Rose. Thanks for the free publicity, Digg and Creative Commons!
metasonix
Deadmau5's Euro modular.
metasonix
Robert Rich. I personally gave him that Butt Probe. Ha ha.
metasonix
Tim Skold, with Agonizer. Supposedly he's used it onstage. I heard he's bought other things since this was taken.
metasonix
I can't find photos of Alec Empire's studio, but there's always his raves about the Wretch Machine. If you find a pic of Alec's studio post-2007, let me know.

From Gearwire:
Quote:
The Wretch Machine may be a synth for the more adventurous musician. But it also can be used by anyone who is interested in exploring sound.

“Yes, anyone can use it of course. It is great for people who like to explore sound. You might find yourself playing with it for hours, because you get from one sound to the next. It's half modular, so it is way more varied than people think, but you have to spend time working with it, so you know your way around", he says. “But isn't that the case with every instrument? I always loved the journey, that process of discovering new sounds. If you need a synth to play cover versions in some bar, this is NOT the right instrument for you."

The Wretch Machine has some downsides but they are not insurmountable.

“I find that the tuning is hard to control, so often I put an autotune after it. Which is this little inside joke we have in the studio...we have this thing but never really use it. Can't tell you enough how much I hate autotune. If the music industry really wanted to get out of the crisis, they'd spend the money they spend on lawyers suing kids in their bedrooms on erasing autotune from this planet, he says. “But the tuning issue is also its strength. We live in an age where we should disconnect ourselves from the tuning grid that has mostly come from old western European music from centuries ago. On other continents musicians have used more than 12 tones per scale. Let's free ourselves from that mind grid once and for all. We can still appreciate Beethoven and Wagner later."

And while there is some obvious maintenance done on the synth it doesn't need babied any more than any other, similar, instrument.

“You will need to replace the tubes at some point. But that's the same scenario with a guitar amp. The sound makes up for that. Any analogue synth needs to be maintained at the end of the day." says Empire.

If you pull the trigger and buy one of these do not get frustrated if it doesn't click right away.

“The Wretch Machine is a beast...So keep going back to it, it will pay off. If you want to make music which is intense and takes the listener far away and deep into it, that's the machine to do it with" says Empire. “You might want to ask yourself if you are ready to go to these places before you send others out there. This machine rewires your brain."

From Surachai's blog:
Quote:
What are your current favorite pieces of hardware?
Samolet 346I got deep into modular synths. Despite the trend of going more digital the last years, a new scene has grown which is inventing analogue synths again. Analogue Solutions, Metasonix, Doepfer. these systems have almost no limits. And they sound fantastic. It's expensive in comparision to digital software, but the sound is so powerful, it's worth it. You have to be into Math as well--if you have a lower iq , you should probably stick to a guitar. I don't mean that in a negative way because music can be great in so many different ways. The Metasonix S-1000 is an all tube synth which has sounds that have never been heard before. Most people don't know how to use it and therefore be scared to use it. I love it."

AH! Thanks to Attacksustain for reminding me about this video of Alec in the studio, 2008. Screencap below, with Wretch and TM7 on the left.
metasonix
The notorious German guys of Aliens Project.
They were one of the first buyers of TM modules.
metasonix
Dave Wright, of Not Breathing. He's easily one of the world's top DIYers, as
well as one of the most famous circuit-benders. He built his own TM-1.
metasonix
Also from Attacksustain:

This is a screengrab from the studio video on Depeche Mode's "Sounds of The Universe" album from 2009.
No idea who that is (I do NOT think it's Shawn Cleary), and I can't tell what the TM modules are.
metasonix
Courtesy of Analogue Haven's Flickr: Depeche Mode's 2011 Christmas card, with their Euro modular.

metasonix
Behold, Big City Music's demo room. That large modular in the middle with the black panels is an early Aries system, flanked by very old Moog modules.

Roger has everything, and can probably sell or rent you any vintage gear you might possibly desire. His warehouse is terrifying.

(From BCM's Facebook. Website.)
metasonix
Turns out that one of the guys who does sound design for the Battlefield 3 game uses Metasonix R modules.
metasonix
Roger at Big City tells me that Jean-Michel Jarre recently bought a Wretch Machine. He's impressed with the strange sounds, but still trying to figure it out.

And it turns out that the gent who did the soundtrack for Mass Effect 3 used a Metasonix R module, along with a bunch of other Euro modules.

Plus, this guy uses an R53 for sound design.
metasonix
Mr. Reznor buys an S-2000, and posts it on his Tumblr photo blog.
Kent
This tool looks to be Mr. Mark Jenkins.

metasonix wrote:
Also from Attacksustain:

This is a screengrab from the studio video on Depeche Mode's "Sounds of The Universe" album from 2009.
No idea who that is (I do NOT think it's Shawn Cleary), and I can't tell what the TM modules are.
metasonix
The man everybody loves to hate lol , Mecanikill Vince, is working on a project with Richard Devine.
metasonix
From WIRED magazine: Inside the Home Studio of Radiolab's Jad Abumrad

They blubbered about his digital gear and his Sonic Six. But didn't say anything about the pedalboard, which contains a Metasonix TX-3.

metasonix
Alessandro Cortini just bought the following. Apparently plans to use it on tour.
metasonix
Today, "William" Corgan put on a live streaming-video eight hour performance of improvised synthetic music using a giant Euro modular plus assorted other gear. There was an S-2000 in the rack, clearly visible at top right.

YT stream channel
Metafilter thread, full of idiotic snarky comments.
A Chicago Tribune reporter was thrown out, apparently in retaliation for this report. Yeah whatever.
Pitchfork report
Guardian report
metasonix
Didn't notice it before: he also had a D-1000 and was using it to drive a sequencer (I guess).
metasonix
Otolathe uses this setup on stage.
metasonix
The D2000 is a hit, of sorts. Alessandro Cortini just bought one. Trent will probably be next.

Meanwhile, losers are attacking us on blogs. Ha ha ha.
badmachine
metasonix wrote:
The D2000 is a hit, of sorts. Alessandro Cortini just bought one. Trent will probably be next.

Meanwhile, losers are attacking us on blogs. Ha ha ha.

metasonix
Just heard from the dealer, Trent Reznor and Billy Corgan also purchased D2000s. Ha ha ha.
metasonix
I've been told that Alessandro's new project "Skarn" is currently playing out using mostly an S-2000 and D-2000.

http://www.factmag.com/2014/10/02/alessandro-cortini-debuts-new-projec t-skarn-hear-revolver/

http://www.ticketfly.com/event/956093-skarn-alessandro-cortini-brookly n/

https://boomkat.com/products/revolver

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=26659

https://www.facebook.com/blindoldfreak/posts/10154223343894829?pnref=s tory
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2