MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

BitVision images - share and discuss
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author BitVision images - share and discuss
gymz
Hey, I am a super NOOB at this but been a fan for a while - ordered my kits ages ago but just getting down to this now.

It is great to see all this advice from everyone, thanks.

Bitsmasher, thanks so much for the walkthrough of your tribulations and success with this.

I will post stuff as I make some progress.
Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo w00t
gymz
Hey, I am a super NOOB at this but been a fan for a while - ordered my kits ages ago but just getting down to this now.

It is great to see all this advice from everyone, thanks.

Bitsmasher, thanks so much for the walkthrough of your tribulations and success with this.

I will post stuff as I make some progress.
Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo w00t
lizlarsen
Welcome to the forum, gymz!
bitSmasher
gymz wrote:
Bitsmasher, thanks so much for the walkthrough of your tribulations and success with this
cheers! it was fun figuring things out and getting it all working... especially since anything to do with code/programming/computers is my weak point.
I'd like to see more people use the BitVision and hope to get more image contributions to this thread soon!
Okay, finally had some time to sit down and really try and play with my BV (v1.2).

After a tiny bit of very frustrating, I was able to do a little programming using a $20 AVR STK500 v2.0 clone brought of ebay and AVR Studio 5.1

If going down this route, make sure you have the right USB-to-Serial drivers installed. This will save you about 5 years of your life. I also found I had to manually enter the ATMEL chip as it wasn't on the drop down list in Studio 5.1. Once this happened, all good.

Quote:
It's important to note that images get split into a 16 color palette when they go into the converter application. This palette is treated like an amplitude map of sorts, and when applied to the Bitvision's envelope follower modulation settings, translates palette index into shape.

Even after changing some palettes and images, I'm still not quiet getting this... seriously, i just don't get it

Also, The PROGRAM + MODE, PROGRAM + ACTION and MODE + PROGRAM button presses don't seem to be doing anything for . Anyone else had success with these? Could just need me spending the time to get to know it.

That all said, freak'n awesome bit of kit. Nice work.
lizlarsen
Spend some time playing with it and I bet it will click. BitVision's definitely an odd little thing.... tons of features are hidden behind those button press combos! I'm glad you got the programming to work. You can have lots of fun modifying that code...
lizlarsen
Just to make sure, for the alternate button combos... you are holding down one button while clicking the other, correct?
Thanks for getting back, much appreciated. thumbs up

Quote:
Spend some time playing with it and I bet it will click.

Yes. I'm sure it's a case of me being my usual 'Why doesn't this new thing work in ways I instantly understand?'.

Quote:
Just to make sure, for the alternate button combos... you are holding down one button while clicking the other, correct?

Sure am. I'm really not seeing anything change too much, especially cycle current display and palette. Though, I might be getting these confused with the counter action...

On the topic of counter action, is turning that off an option? I'd like images to just 'settle' sometimes. Or is the counter clocking some important 'behind the scenes' functions as well?
lizlarsen
Quote:
On the topic of counter action, is turning that off an option?

Hmm, I don't think so -- but since you've got compiling and code uploading going, I bet you could modify the code to do that easily enough (one of the counter actions being "do nothing"). Skim the code and let me know if you have any questions.

BitVision was definitely a case of packing in as many features as I could with only 3 buttons and 2 parameter knobs. So it can be a little enigmatic, and sometimes surprising, what happens when the modes interact in different ways. It's definitely more of a cryptic user experience that creates unexpected results, rather than being intuitive.
Quote:
It's definitely more of a cryptic user experience that creates unexpected results, rather than being intuitive.

I understand now. It's a state of mind...

I'll look through that code soon and see if I can spot where the counter action is a happening. Exciting follow up post sure to come.
mr_coops
Hi all,
New to all this so please bear with me. Just built and gigged my bitvision (a no premade content show) and really happy eith the results. I'm now looking into programming it with customn images etc followingthe link for AVRStudio 4 I get to this page

http://www.atmel.com/tools/atmelstudio.aspx
Is this the right software I need?

I've bought one of these
http://unmannedtechshop.co.uk/Pocket-AVR-Programmer?language=en&curren cy=GBP

Whic I'm hoping is the right hardware.
Any advice will be greatfully received.

Thanks
lizlarsen
That's the right software, but I'm not sure if that ISP programmer will be compatible with it -- give it a shot and see if it recognizes it.
gymz
Hey guys.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to centre the images on a TV screen. Messing with the aspect ratio doesn't seem to really be doing it properly. There is always a large gap at the left side of the screen on the two different TV's I am working with. One is an older TV and the other is a new flatscreen LCD - the problem is with both . Any ideas ?

I have had success programming in new images and I love this thing. it is really exciting.

For me it was a bit hard because I have not done much with software at all so I will be posting details on how a NOOB got through https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/images/smiles/nana.gifit.https://www .muffwiggler.com/forum/images/smiles/bacondancing.gif

I will also send some updates when I get more images on there and I can show how I housed the bitvision itself.

I do suggest sticking to what lars suggests and get this:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=av risp%20mk2

and when I went to get AVR Studio 5 they have updated it to a newer version.

I found it a bit confusing to navigate through the new version and I could relate to some of these members earlier posts using the #5 version I found here:

http://i.amniels.com/avr-studio-4-and-5-download-links

Thanks Lars and to those that posted their trials with programming this.

Any ideas about how to centre this image or make it a real full screen ?

Thanks

GYM
gymz
Sorry I mean that the gap is on the right side of the screen and to explain it a bit clearer no matter what I do with adjusting the aspect ratio of the TV the Bitvision picture seems shifted heavily to the left of the TV and there is a big black space where nothing is going on. seriously, i just don't get it

Thanks, sorry for any confusion. Guinness ftw!

J
lizlarsen
Hey Gymz!

Some video mixers may have resize capabilities.

The reason why it's not full screen or size is that the black portion is needed to run the code -- the Bitvision maximizes the AVR chip it uses pretty hard to get all of the line-rate audio modulation happening, so it needs part of the display space to do that.

My intended use case was a low cost device to use for projections -- on a projector, you can usually adjust the display area to fill whatever you need -- so I felt sacrificing part of the display for the other capabilities (and at the low price point) was worth it.
gymz
Hey Creator,

It is good to know this. I won't stress over wondering if I did something wrong and I may actually make some structural adjustments to the actual TV viewing frame. Not sure exactly but I might haha.

The BVison is amazing, Thank you.

GYM
w00t
mr_coops
Sorry for this trying to follow instructions...but I am quite dim
The image code is the code below this line?

volatile uint8_t images[NUM_IMAGES][FBUFFER_HEIGHT][(FBUFFER_WIDTH)] PROGMEM = { // 24, 32x32, 16 values

The instructions say this
8. Repeat the same process for the image code, making sure to replace code found under sections labelled “Image #1?, etc.
I cannot find any such section hmmm.....

Thanks
lizlarsen
The comments that designate the image numbers are missing in that version of the code -- sorry about that. You're in the right section!

Don't be afraid of messing anything up. If you make a mistake, you can always recompile and upload the original code.
mr_coops
Thanks Lars super speedy response Mr. Green
I've also realised i needed to convert the project file to atmelstudio version 7.
Going to try and test image programming now
mr_coops
Tried changing one image and got the followiing when pressing F7

Error 1 The specified task executable location "C:\WinAVR-20100110\utils\bin\make.exe" is invalid. C:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.0\Vs\Compiler.targets 5 5 bitvision

and a lot of errors
19:40:34: [ERROR] Failed to Reformat the code span. StartIndex cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: startIndex
19:42:29: [WARNING] Skipped reading Build Dependency settings from source project. It is either invalid or not provided., ModuleName: ProjectImporter.Core
19:42:29: [WARNING] Skipped reading Pre/Post build event settings from source project. It is either invalid or not provided., ModuleName: ProjectImporter.Core
19:42:35: [WARNING] Include Path not found : include
19:42:35: [WARNING] Include Path not found : include-fixed
19:42:35: [WARNING] Include Path not found : C:\WinAVR-20100110\avr\include
19:42:35: [WARNING] Include file not found : C:\WinAVR-20100110\avr\include\avr\iom328p.h
19:43:00: [WARNING] Include Path not found : include
19:43:00: [WARNING] Include Path not found : include-fixed
19:43:00: [WARNING] Include Path not found : C:\WinAVR-20100110\avr\include
19:43:00: [WARNING] Include file not found : C:\WinAVR-20100110\avr\include\avr\iom328p.h
19:45:49: [ERROR] Failed to Reformat the code span. StartIndex cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: startIndex
19:45:59: [WARNING] Include Path not found : include
19:46:00: [WARNING] Include Path not found : include-fixed
19:46:00: [WARNING] Include Path not found : C:\WinAVR-20100110\avr\include
19:46:00: [ERROR] Failed to Retrieve the Version Information for the utilty C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avr-gcc.exe with arguments --version
19:46:00: [ERROR] Failed to Retrieve the Version Information for the utilty C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avr-gcc.exe with arguments --version
19:46:00: [ERROR] Failed to Retrieve the Version Information for the utilty C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avr-ar.exe with arguments --version

aI'm ssuming that path not foiunbd means it's looking for a folder location that doesn't exist
mr_coops
Checking C:\ no folder exists I do have a make folder within
C:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.0

and apologies studio 6 not 7 as istated earlier meh
lizlarsen
Does it compile fine without changing anything?
I am still using AVR Studio 5.0, I haven't messed with 6 yet. Looks like an installation issue. Is there an "import project" option? That might work best, if transferring a project from 5.0 to a new version.
mr_coops
Err, how do I know if it's compiled without changing anything? I've had to import the project into AVR 6 to enable me to see the project structure tree on the right of the AVR windows (I did mention that I'd done this yesterday) , from here I pick the Bitvision C file to edit. I pasted an image code over the top of the first image code.. as you said yesterday anything below that line is an image, and I'm assuming that where there is a code break (blank line) that is a separate image. Pressing F7 returns the errors stated above.

Maybe I should try and track down version 5 of AVR then....
lizlarsen
You should be able to press F7 (to build project) before changing anything.

Here's some direct download links I've found for AVRStudio:
http://i.amniels.com/avr-studio-4-and-5-download-links
daverj
I don't know anything about the AVR system, but from the list of errors it's clear there are paths to files defined somewhere that don't match existing paths to those files.

If there is a "Make" file, look in it to see if it defines those paths mentioned in the errors.

If the development system has a "preferences" or "settings" or maybe a "project settings" look in there for paths defined that might be the same as shown in the errors.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3