MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

R55
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author R55
metasonix
Showing off a new product online is always a minor problem--if I just posted the first announcement here, or on another forum, Matrix would see it and splash it instantly. Not that I hate Matrix, but damn, the guy doesn't sleep. Or eat, or drink, or use the bathroom. (Joking!)

For once, I tried to give another blogger (Peter Kirn at Create Digital Music) a chance to get a "scoop" on Matrix, by feeding Peter two short videos of the R-55 module.

Finally, Peter ran the item I slipped to him the other day.

mecanikill
Damn hell yes!
gwaidan
applause
Kent
Fuck, yeah! What are the voltage and current requirements of this nasty panel? Also, how does it differ in design from the Wretch Machine/TM3?
Lama
Very nice! w00t

Will it only be availible from Big City Music, or is that a special edition?
nrdvrgr
Hell yes, but must be one of the worst demos I´ve seen... even worse than my lo-fi crapfests.
decaying.sine
nrdvrgr wrote:
Hell yes, but must be one of the worst demos I´ve seen... even worse than my lo-fi crapfests.

That was obviously Eric repeatedly kicking a duckling and squeezing it's downy neck to change octaves.
gimlay
Yes very bad demo, does it "tune" ? Love my r54 but cant really play it with fing around for 15minuets.
weinglas
F*ck the demo: This is EPIC for Eurorack!
bendedavis
WANT SlayerBadger!
metasonix
Does it suck power? You betcha, dooood. It sucks a LOT. Of power, and everything else.

Your Euro cabinet HAS to have a big +5v supply. I mean a LOT of +5.
Because it's running both tube heaters, and the 2D21 thyratron sucks
shit-tons of current at turn-on.

Directly from the press release:
Quote:
WARNING: the R-55 draws a LOT of power from the +5v line when first powered up. Your cabinet MUST be able to produce 1.8 amps at +5v to warm up the tubes in the R-55. Doepfer and Kilpatrick +5v power adapters cannot supply this much current. Addition of a large +5v supply to your Euro cabinet may be required. Monorocket now offers a special cabinet with +5v power sufficient to run at least three R-55 modules, plus +-12v power sufficient for many other Metasonix R modules plus modules from other manufacturers.

No pussies allowed. Peter Grenader
jiblite
3rd connection from the left - is that for an external psu?
Kent
Sweet Mother of Fuck! I do hope that Ben is correct & that the 3rd hole is for an outboard supply. Not even my Analogue Systems case can provide 1.8A on +5V!

metasonix wrote:
Does it suck power? You betcha, dooood. It sucks a LOT. Of power, and everything else.

Your Euro cabinet HAS to have a big +5v supply. I mean a LOT of +5.
Because it's running both tube heaters, and the 2D21 thyratron sucks
shit-tons of current at turn-on.

Directly from the press release:
Quote:
WARNING: the R-55 draws a LOT of power from the +5v line when first powered up. Your cabinet MUST be able to produce 1.8 amps at +5v to warm up the tubes in the R-55. Doepfer and Kilpatrick +5v power adapters cannot supply this much current. Addition of a large +5v supply to your Euro cabinet may be required. Monorocket now offers a special cabinet with +5v power sufficient to run at least three R-55 modules, plus +-12v power sufficient for many other Metasonix R modules plus modules from other manufacturers.

No pussies allowed. Peter Grenader
Cat-A-Tonic
About the mystery hole;
doesn't it say 'SPAN'?
I'm guessing it is some sort of trimpot for the Frequency. seriously, i just don't get it
Cybananna
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
Kent
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
About the mystery hole;
doesn't it say 'SPAN'?
I'm guessing it is some sort of trimpot for the Frequency. seriously, i just don't get it

Ah, you could be right. This is also on the Wretch Machine. It's used for getting the VCO to have the correct response to CV voltages over a span of 1 or more octaves.

You can see it here on my Wretch. I had it modified for different trimmers so that I wouldn't have to use a plastic 'tweaker' anymore.

Original Post about Modifications
metasonix
It's an access hole for trimpots. The prototypes have only a "span", the final
version will have span and offset just like the Wretch VCOs.

If you use two of these, one R-53, and one R-52, you'll have the basis of
a Wretch. The circuits are very similar.

Sorry guys, you'll have to upgrade your cabinets to run R-55s. I can refer you
to techs who can do this if you need it. It's not very difficult, believe it or not.
Kent
Fucking cool that people can build up their own Wretch Machine in a specialized case; build as you go.

And let's not forget the R51 as an output stage. I'd like to see a similar circuit (R51) migrate over to the Buchla world...
baker
I don't have a modular setup I hope you have not forgotten the folks like me and keep putting out things that are able to be used as a standalone effect or synth Mr. Metasonix. waah
askthedust
Kent wrote:
Fucking cool that people can build up their own Wretch Machine in a specialized case; build as you go.

Exactly why I've been looking power solutions for small tabletop cases the past two days! I'm sure that even with just a single RS-55, a RS 52 and RS 53 you must be getting great results.
jiblite
The bigger power supply thing shouldn't be too much trouble - sure some nice folk on here will find the one to buy and give some installation instructions.

woo thyratron oscs! how many needed to build a trautonium?

i didn't mind the trogotronic 676 approach of having the external PSU, but can see if you have a case with a lot of these modules in it - then thats a lot of fannying about with external psus and cables.

brian's 5u modules seem to have gone the external psu too
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49951
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45538

so is this in a way paving the way to release more power sapping tube abortions on the euro world? do we get evil buggers like the bad boys brian is making but 60% the height with fiddly minijacks? hope so

whilst Im here - whats the besest way (for a fat fingered solder phobe like me) to get my R54 and R51 modded for the R54 VCA mod and the R51 ability to run 12AF6/12BD6's, as I have one of the (old?) one's using 26A6's - or in that case do I just buy another R51?
zerosum
Quote:
If you use two of these, one R-53, and one R-52, you'll have the basis of
a Wretch. The circuits are very similar.

I want a BN6 waveshaper 8_)
Can I haz a BN6/wretch waveshaper module? This is fun!
metasonix
jiblite wrote:
woo thyratron oscs! how many needed to build a trautonium?

Just one....

Quote:
so is this in a way paving the way to release more power sapping tube abortions on the euro world? do we get evil buggers like the bad boys brian is making but 60% the height with fiddly minijacks? hope so

There's only so many ways to do this. B is using external adapters, I'm trying
to get better cabinets made. Preferably by someone like Monorocket, who is
already set up to make cabinetry.

Quote:
whilst Im here - whats the besest way (for a fat fingered solder phobe like me) to get my R54 and R51 modded for the R54 VCA mod and the R51 ability to run 12AF6/12BD6's, as I have one of the (old?) one's using 26A6's - or in that case do I just buy another R51?

The R54 mod is not doable on the rev 1 version. It has to be a rev 2 board.
If there's an unfilled set of mounting holes for the VCA jack under the
plugged panel hole, it's a rev 2. It might be better if you sent it in for this.

Why convert a good R-51 to a different tube? 26A6s are still readily
available.
jiblite
I'm up for the r55 challenge - not too sure at this stage which way to go - a whole new case by a different manufacturer across the pond might not be the best soution for me - modding a dopefer 9u with a monster psu just for the r55 might be a solution?

I will have a look at my r54 soon and post you a pic to see if I have a v1 or a v2 - tnx

Brian's r51 alternative tube tests, get you thinking that it might be nice to try different brands/flavours - curiosity killed the cat and all - but its fun to play right?
metasonix
jiblite wrote:
I'm up for the r55 challenge - not too sure at this stage which way to go - a whole new case by a different manufacturer across the pond might not be the best soution for me - modding a dopefer 9u with a monster psu just for the r55 might be a solution?

That would be recommended. It is not major surgery, don't believe anyone who
says it's "too painful".

Quote:
Brian's r51 alternative tube tests, get you thinking that it might be nice to try different brands/flavours - curiosity killed the cat and all - but its fun to play right?

If you really wanna mess with different tubes, this is what I would do:

Wire the heater power for that module to a big 5v power supply. Then you can
try more than a hundred different 7-pin miniature pentodes and tetrodes,
because the majority of them use 6.3v heater power.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5