MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

D-1000 Clock In Mod
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author D-1000 Clock In Mod
jsicp
Could some kind soul point me in the direction of information on modding an older D-1000 for Clock In?
Tried forum search and Google but no luck...
Thanks very much
metasonix
WARNING: this is NOT a simple mod. If you're not experienced in DIY, do NOT try this yourself. The D-1000 is full of CMOS chips, and if you screw up the soldering or connections you can damage them.

On the PC board next to the CLOCK SPEED knob, there are two small pads with a very skinny trace between them. The pad on the LEFT is the clock output of the internal generator, the pad on the RIGHT is the INput for an external clock source.

You need to cut the skinny trace (VERY carefully) and connect the tip of a jack to the RIGHT-hand pad, and connect the sleeve of the jack to the D-1000 ground (around the outer edge of the board). If you use a jack with a built-in switch, wire the LEFT pad to the switch connection of the jack thru a 1k resistor, so the D-1000 will still run without the external clock plugged in.

Again, this is NOT a trivial mod, use extreme caution.
jsicp
Thanks very much.
I will ask someone who knows what they're doing to do this for me.
mecanikill
Contact Brian from Zerosum Inertia he did it on mine and it works perfect. He is the next best thing to having Eric do it for you himself.
jsicp
Thanks for the tip!
I have an electronics wizard friend here in NYC who said he'd take a look at it for me so that might be plan A...
but where is Brian located?
zerosum
mecanikill wrote:
Contact Brian from Zerosum Inertia he did it on mine and it works perfect. He is the next best thing to having Eric do it for you himself.


Thanks. but NO. Don't contact me about Metasonix stuff. Contact Eric for everything Metasonix related.
jsicp
Haha, ok
jlo
I made this modification without the switched jack, but the sequencer doesn't step when I input a clock from a Doepfer Dark Time. Here's what I'm seeing:

* The Doepfer's clock signal is a +5V pulse
* The D1000's clock signal is a +8.4V pulse
* The 555 timers and logic in the D1000 run with VDD = 8.4V
* The mc14022 isn't counting
* The 8.4V rail seems to be derived from the regulated 10V supply via an RC filter on the left edge of the board (1.6V drop across a 100 ohm resistor), but I dunno for sure

This is all consistent IMHO--the clock pulse simply isn't high enough to make the counter count. So I suppose I could build something external that boosts the clock signal by 3 volts, but I wonder if I could just reduce VDD to 5V with a zener? I'm hesitating because I'm just guessing about how that rail is derived and I don't know what side-effects that reduction would have. Maybe 8.4V is abnormal?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
metasonix
jlo wrote:
* The Doepfer's clock signal is a +5V pulse
* The D1000's clock signal is a +8.4V pulse
* The 555 timers and logic in the D1000 run with VDD = 8.4V
* The mc14022 isn't counting
* The 8.4V rail seems to be derived from the regulated 10V supply via an RC filter on the left edge of the board (1.6V drop across a 100 ohm resistor), but I dunno for sure

This is all consistent IMHO--the clock pulse simply isn't high enough to make the counter count.


No. 5v pulses are sufficient. Believe me.

You probably wired something incorrectly. Sorry.
ritchiedrums
Been trying to contact Eric and zerosum about this mod.
I don't know why neither are responding seriously, i just don't get it
Anybody else able to do this?

Also considering moving the trim pots to the front....
o-live
thank you "neilbaldwin" for redirect me to this post ,i don't read this before thumbs up


Some question about the clock generator if it's the famous Timer 555 :


-what version inside CMOS version or classic NE555 ?


-Normally I can add an external control voltage on the 5 pin (Control) for trigerring by LFO or any source of CV / Random ... ?


-Anybody have inside picture of the mods ?

thank you for your reply
Kytopia
Hi,
Does anyone have pictures of the process of this mod? or of the tiny trace you're talking about? I'm staring at the PCB right now with a hacksaw and a powerdrill in my hands, well prepared for some surgery.

EDIT-
Found it. lets see what happens.
Kytopia
alright I did it. everything is working well, except for the fact that I can no longer run it with the internal clock. will need to do some internal corrections, but at least now I can use it paired with my gated 80's snares hihi
causticlogic
You should be able to still use the internal clock. I didn't do the mod on mine, but i'm able to clock in from the mod, use the internal clock, and use the original clock - not all at the same time of course but I have the choice.
metasonix
Kytopia wrote:
alright I did it. everything is working well, except for the fact that I can no longer run it with the internal clock. will need to do some internal corrections, but at least now I can use it paired with my gated 80's snares hihi

You have to use a switched jack, if you want the internal clock to work, genius. Aarrggghh.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group