MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arturia MiniBrute Analog mono synth!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 69, 70, 71  Next [all]
Author Arturia MiniBrute Analog mono synth!!!
budz
Yes, I've read the review now and it's not a bad review overall at all. It is still a very odd thing to say though, and strikes me as being really out of touch, and the acoustic emulation comment I just cannot understand at all. Synths got popular because they made different sounds.

Also, I'm quite disappointed that even though I'm sure Gordon has lots of modular, there's nothing in the review about what it's like to use the Minibrute as a CV/gate controller - does it send out gates for individual generated arpeggiator notes for example? It's an example of why SOS reviews annoy me... most of the review tends to be a regurtitated press release/promo spiel about what the features are, with maybe a paragraph about what the thing is actually like to use, if you're lucky. The Arturia review is better than most in this respect though.
theabsent
budz wrote:
most of the review tends to be a regurtitated press release/promo spiel about what the features are


I stopped reading reviews years ago mainly for this reason. I found that really useful deep reviews were extremely rare. Might have changed since, I dunno.
drip.feed
budz wrote:
Yes, I've read the review now and it's not a bad review overall at all. It is still a very odd thing to say though, and strikes me as being really out of touch, and the acoustic emulation comment I just cannot understand at all. Synths got popular because they made different sounds.

Well, in ye olde days synths were often measured against yardsticks which nowadays seem patently naive. Every programmable synth back then had nothing but pianos, sax, guitar, organ, flute, brass and slap-bass sounds in their presets because that's how the intelligentsia of the day judged their capabilities. So I don't think Reid was holding that yardstick up himself, just giving the reader a sense of why the original filter might have bombed back in the day.

budz wrote:
Also, I'm quite disappointed that even though I'm sure Gordon has lots of modular, there's nothing in the review about what it's like to use the Minibrute as a CV/gate controller - does it send out gates for individual generated arpeggiator notes for example? It's an example of why SOS reviews annoy me... most of the review tends to be a regurtitated press release/promo spiel about what the features are, with maybe a paragraph about what the thing is actually like to use, if you're lucky.

I certainly agree with that. I nearly always skip the detailed crap and read the summary and conclusion first, then back-track through the review if it piques my interest. Some reviewers are so OCD they can't help themselves. Maybe they have a certain number of words-per-article to fill and documenting the features is a good way of bulking out a review?
drewtoothpaste
If you review something you like you have to point out a couple negatives or it sounds like you're writing ad copy for the company that gave you the free synthesizer.
abstraktor
I have no doubt over Gordon Reid's experience with, and knowledge of, synthesizers. It does, however, become very obvious that his arrogance & musical tastes (70's UK prog rock) have a strong influence over his reviews of equipment. He is a "traditional" keyboard player who has little or no regard for anything out-with that genre- or instruments that are designed for a non-conventional approach. (I can't imagine anyone less able to properly assess a Buchla). His reviews in SOS have irritated me for over 20 years and will continue to do so, but he always seems to get the pick of the crop. To be fair, though, he does really comprehensively review gear.
Yes, his "Synth Secrets" show an in-depth knowledge of sound synthesis, but they're mostly attempts at re-creating conventional instruments.
To me his review of the MB is actually positive (for him) but "punk rock" ( I guess he's referring to Cabaret Voltaire & Throbbing Gristle here) happened over 30 years ago and there have been many many developments in electronic music since then- get over it FFS!!
dopefiend
It is true that a review needs to include "critiques" of features that might be considered suboptimal to the needs of most of the consumers, otherwise it would sound like a biased, slobbering praise.
Interestingly, though....I remember in 1998 I read a hard copy of SOS which included a review of the Microwave XT by Paul Nagle, in which the "con" of the pro/con summary box read something like "nothing" (paraphrasing). I went back to the online version, and it now reads "external power supply" as con. Anybody have an original paper copy of that issue? I guess the editors found it to be a no-no to write such a thing, but that just shows how screwed up their reviewing philosophies are.....Then again, in all fairness, I have read some pretty whacky reviews on Keyboard magazine and Electronic Musician. I once read somebody complaining that a certain analog synth had no General MIDI, drums or sequencer.

But be that as it may....I agree that the overall tone of Gordon Reid's review is very favorable, and the critique about the short keyboard is very reasonable.
empirix
hard to trust a review these days, particularly the ones in magazines such as sos, futuremusic etc etc, they appear not to want to upsaet the manufacturers too much and ruin advertising deals etc, this is why i no longer buy the mags!!
cliffemu
I can't wait to "raise the dead" with this synth cry thats like what you need for all modern/popular styles anyways!
critical
SlayerBadger!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oslu-bTF46w
matttech
don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread before - haven't got the patience to read 32 pages to find out....but it would appear that the minibrute suffers from the same affliction that most of the Arturia V-Collection had - namely, the inability to retrigger LFOs from key presses

may not be a big issue for many of you, but for me it makes the LFOs much less useful, especially for rhythmic stuff, as you'll never know where in its cycle it will start from. ok if you just want vague, subtle modulation....but utterly useless if you want to create pronounced rhythmic stuff. and what you'd do with a square wave when you can't determine when in its cycle it will start from, well..........beats me!

it drove me mad with the soft synths.....especially when you're using LFOs to create bendy bass sounds etc..

it looks like they have implemented their usual halfway house - "midi sync". that's great, in that it will at least be the same tempo as your clock/ midi....but you still won't know where you are in the wave cycle until you hit a key - will the pitch sweep up, or will it sweep down...who can tell?

i really hope i've got this wrong, but i had a good look over it as we were considering getting one for college, ad i couldn't see an option for key triggering anywhere. you can sync the LFOs to the arpeggiator, but that's not the same thing really...or is it?

maybe someone from arturia could chime in and let us know: can you reliably retrigger LFOs from a key press?

i also hope that the arpeggiator works properly - i know it's not really a "sequencer", but it IS a rhythm-based feature that presumably triggers from key presses - i can't help wondering if it will be reliable, as the sequencers on the ARP2600 and Moog Modular plugins were SO flaky - sometimes it wouldn't run, sometimes it would slip out of sync, tied notes were often ignored which would throw your sequence out of whack (instead of there being say 2 16th notes followed by 2 8th notes they would sometimes all just play 16ths...randomly)

the thing is - i made Arturia aware all of these issues , and initially got a couple of replies...but then they just started ignoring every bit of correspondence from then on, until i just gave up and stopped using the software. i emailed VERY detailed troubleshooting to give them as much information as possible to fix the problems, but nothing ever got sorted. to be honest, i just wanted shot of the bundle in the end, as the various issues (there were others too, but i forget what they were....) meant that i had to continuously bounce down parts to audio, as the reliability just wasn't there. that wasn't what i bought an 8-core mac pro to be doing....

hopefully things have changed at Arturia, and they are now providing decent technical support, and testing their products properly before putting them into the marketplace, but it'd take a LOT to convince me......their forums were a desolate waste ground of bitter customers when i used to go on there, so it might be worth having a look there to see if there is a new vibe.

sorry to be so neg, but i wouldn't want anyone to spend hundreds of pounds (like i did) and be as disappointed as i was.
critical
matttech wrote:
don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread before - haven't got the patience to read 32 pages to find out....but it would appear that the minibrute suffers from the same affliction that most of the Arturia V-Collection had - namely, the inability to retrigger LFOs from key presses


you can. LFO retrigger is off by default, but you can turn it on in software.

radiokoala
matttech wrote:
it drove me mad with the soft synths.....especially when you're using LFOs to create bendy bass sounds etc..

Well, u-he ace is devoid of such issue thumbs up
matttech
critical wrote:
matttech wrote:
don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread before - haven't got the patience to read 32 pages to find out....but it would appear that the minibrute suffers from the same affliction that most of the Arturia V-Collection had - namely, the inability to retrigger LFOs from key presses


you can. LFO retrigger is off by default, but you can turn it on in software.



THANK THE LORD!!

shame we just put our bid in at work for a completely different keyboard now....bugger! (although, to be fair, i think a Korg Microkorg is about the level our students are at, rather than creating sounds from scratch at every rehearsal - they're not techies you see.....mere "performers")
matttech
radiokoala wrote:
matttech wrote:
it drove me mad with the soft synths.....especially when you're using LFOs to create bendy bass sounds etc..

Well, u-he ace is devoid of such issue thumbs up


u-he ACE is excellent - have already created a thread about it:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48630&highlight=uhe

i'd recommend it to anyone interested in modulars who can't afford the real thing!
D_Bowman
This synth looks very appealing, although I'm not thrilled about having another single oscillator monosynth. I imagine that the Dark Energy would serve well as a second oscillator, though? is the Minibrute a triangle based?
francksuperbaby
hello from PARIS.

This my first post on this great forum. I would like to share the test on the new arturia minibrute made by audiofanzine.
Sorry it is in french language,but you can listen to the audio samples. the conclusion is: it is a great synth.
bye

P.S i hope i have the right to do so , here is the link.

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-analogique/arturia/minibrute/editori al/tests/le-petit-prodige.html
loydb
Great article, very understandable even via Google translate!

Now I'm ready for mine to get here...
sad banana
h4ndcrafted
francksuperbaby wrote:
hello from PARIS.

This my first post on this great forum. I would like to share the test on the new arturia minibrute made by audiofanzine.
Sorry it is in french language,but you can listen to the audio samples. the conclusion is: it is a great synth.
bye

P.S i hope i have the right to do so , here is the link.

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-analogique/arturia/minibrute/editori al/tests/le-petit-prodige.html


I'm totally glad I preordered this thing, sounds excellent , for the money it is way to good to be true.

Also, I wish I could read french, that review looks detailed...translate time.

£425 at DV. It is a no brainer if it fills your slot...erm.

It sound dirty and eats with its elbows on the table, exactly my kind of synth.
Rymf
SoS review is up.

And by up I mean you have to pay $1.50 to read it? Dead Banana
causticlogic
So...I haven't pre-ordered it yet, but with it now stretching way into July, i guess there is really no point in worrying about it in the near future I suppose.
Nevertheless, I have daydreams about someday getting one of these as well as a Sherman Filterbank 2 and introducing them to my modular.
I'm sure they all would become close friends. Sigh...
jessem
mhtones wrote:
Latest from Musician's Friend.

Spoke to a CS rep today because I just received another backorder automated email after receiving a similar email a couple weeks ago. He indicated that I still had a tentative backorder shipping date of end of April. The date on their website for July is for anyone ordering a Minibrute today. He indicated that they had 97 pre-orders and I found out that I was somewhere between #60 - 70. They are expecting 90 Minibrutes at the end of April. So, 91 - 97 will be filled upon their 2nd shipment, hence the July date.

One thing to note: You will fall off their pre-order waiting list if you do not contact them within 60 days of your order. So, if your a part of the first 90 and still want your Minibrute tentatively shipped in April, you'll need to call them and let them know. By calling, they reset your 60 day grace period.

Now, all this is what I was told by MF CS. I take it all with a grain of salt. I'm hopeful for April, but prepared for actually receiving this later. Will give me more time to save up for it. hihi And sorry if someone else has already posted all this, I didn't want to read thru the hundreds of posts. Besides, figured this was an update that some might appreciate.
Small Type: I do not work for nor am I affiliated in any way with Musicians Friend or any other retailer for that matter. thumbs up

What??? No 24db filter, crap I'm cancelling my pre-order. hihi


I saw the date moved to July and just canceled my pre-order. I don't care enough to play games.
h4ndcrafted
jessem wrote:
mhtones wrote:
Latest from Musician's Friend.

Spoke to a CS rep today because I just received another backorder automated email after receiving a similar email a couple weeks ago. He indicated that I still had a tentative backorder shipping date of end of April. The date on their website for July is for anyone ordering a Minibrute today. He indicated that they had 97 pre-orders and I found out that I was somewhere between #60 - 70. They are expecting 90 Minibrutes at the end of April. So, 91 - 97 will be filled upon their 2nd shipment, hence the July date.

One thing to note: You will fall off their pre-order waiting list if you do not contact them within 60 days of your order. So, if your a part of the first 90 and still want your Minibrute tentatively shipped in April, you'll need to call them and let them know. By calling, they reset your 60 day grace period.

Now, all this is what I was told by MF CS. I take it all with a grain of salt. I'm hopeful for April, but prepared for actually receiving this later. Will give me more time to save up for it. hihi And sorry if someone else has already posted all this, I didn't want to read thru the hundreds of posts. Besides, figured this was an update that some might appreciate.
Small Type: I do not work for nor am I affiliated in any way with Musicians Friend or any other retailer for that matter. thumbs up

What??? No 24db filter, crap I'm cancelling my pre-order. hihi


I saw the date moved to July and just canceled my pre-order. I don't care enough to play games.

Don't think it's a game, just think they under estimated how much interest they would have.
Johnisfaster
I plan on buying mine when a wiggler sells it at 80% of new.
EMwhite
I'm kind of grumpy and negative about this; looks good on TV (sound is hard to judge on the few lousy videos I saw); just concerned that in a year or two, one of the controls will become flakey.

Price is really really low for all that it looks like you are getting. Seems too good to be true somehow (I know, it's just me!)
zedius
Johnisfaster wrote:
I plan on buying mine when a wiggler sells it at 80% of new.


I preordered mine from JRRMusic.com for 80% of new already. I think the code is Analog12.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 69, 70, 71  Next [all]
Page 26 of 71
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group