MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Control voltage to ground- bad?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Control voltage to ground- bad?

tIB

Occurred to me today that I should probably look to change my network of groundings for my banana gear, given I use stackable bananas and there is a (slim) chance when unpatching that a jack with CV running through could potentially touch the input of the stacker, sending any voltage present into the ground of 4 or 5 different devices - I assume this would be bad news?

slow_riot

That's what the 1K resistor on the output of most devices is for, which limits current and stops the output opamp from thermal overload as it tries to force ground (0V) to the output voltage (which it probably won't be able to). Better thought out devices use a slightly different method of output protection (the 1K resistor can cause a scaling error). Some modern opamps even have some protection built in. In any case, it is only very very poor design that would break something from a temporary short, so don't lose sleep over it.

tIB

Good to know, thanks. I'll still be covering the most offensively positioned jack, just to ease my paranoia!

slow_riot

With well engineered devices you should be able to patch the short overnight, or to another output, without damage, so save your paranoia for something better, like whether you are a complete failure and if everyone around you secretly hates you and is plotting to kill you. (actually probably don't do that either smile )

tIB

I solved that one years ago by aiming for faliure and allowing noone near me.

slow_riot

Sorry about my dumb humour. I get crippling bouts of paranoia actually which I have yet to solve.

I thought I saw you at the Ross Lamond do the other week. I asked the guy whether it was you and he said he wasn't. I then stared at him whenever I saw him trying to be sure.

Hope you are well smile

tIB

Ha and no need to apologise- made me laugh. Didn't make the lamond do unfortunately - had a family do on. I like the idea of a tIB doppelganger though- a techno version of the film 'enemy'.

meatcliff

tIB wrote:
could potentially touch the input of the stacker, sending any voltage present into the ground of 4 or 5 different devices

put a piece of tape over the final stacker and nothing can get plugged into it thumbs up

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1