MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Nord Wave
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Nord Wave
zapp550
I tried searching the forum and couldn't find much of anything about this synth. Anybody here own one?
Pentachoron
At the moment I’m in the process of buying a used one. They usually go for $2400 new, and with Nord’s general reputation of good manufacturing quality, the fact that the synth is made in Sweden (not China), at Swedish wages, and with the US dollar currently being weak, I wouldn’t say the Wave isn’t necessarily worth that much, but I couldn’t justify working that price into my budget.

The Wave is really the only synth I’ll be interested in adding to what I have, for probably quite some time to come. I’ve always wanted to pick up a Nord under the right circumstances (and if I could have found a used Lead 3 at a good price/condition I probably would’ve gone for that over the Wave), and the Wave’s physical interface is very appealing. The synth has its limitations, but what it does offer would be more useful to me than a Lead 2X.
dogoftears
I used my friends once-- it's very beautiful and has a wonderful UI. The sounds are quite digital but unique in their own way. The actual functionality of the thing baffles me-- it has silly limitations in terms of routings and oscillator tuning. Compared to a Virus it is not nearly as feature laiden.
2400 is a lot... would never pay that for a VA personally, but it could be perfect for you. I really recommend trying one before buying though.
Obvious cheaper alternatives: Blofeld, Q, Virus, et al...
REwire
I had one and didn't take to it and sold it after a while. The Mellotron samples were my favorite and I used those the most. But when I used the synth oscs or filters it all took on a digital brittle sound to me similar to the Nord Lead 3 I hated as well. I'd say those who like the sound Nord changed to from the 1 and 2 to the 3 and G2 it'll be acceptable.

I started with a Nord 1 in 1996 and moved up through all of them but now have only the Lead 2 and Modular G1.

Dan
wiresandstraps
Had one. Sold it. It was like a watered down version of a Roland V-synth that was incapable of sounding big and ballsy. . .

Save your cash. Buy a Virus TI2. or a Vsynth GT. or a Voyager. or a Korg Radias.... they all sound better in my opinion.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
Pentachoron wrote:
, and with Nord’s general reputation of good manufacturing quality, the fact that the synth is made in Sweden (not China).

All the best gear is made in China these days. Didn't you know? 8_)
zapp550
Are you able to load whatever is in Nords sample library, say same as their electro line? I used to own a V-Synth and just sold a Virus here, and I just didn't get along with them the way I tend to with Nords. My wife was really taken with the quality of the piano on the electro she tried out, but we're both synth nuts so if we can get that plus more on the wave it might be a better option.
zapp550
So does anybody know if you're able to load nords piano library into the wave?
jbartee
Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:
Pentachoron wrote:
, and with Nord’s general reputation of good manufacturing quality, the fact that the synth is made in Sweden (not China).

All the best gear is made in China these days. Didn't you know? 8_)

Whadya mean, Doc, all the best stuff's made in Japan!
Jason Brock
zapp550 wrote:
So does anybody know if you're able to load nords piano library into the wave?

Not the Nord Piano Library, but it will load the Nord Sample Library files.
I think the Wave is limited to one sample per key, so it can't take advantage of the velocity cross-fading of multi-samples assigned to one key, which is pretty important when aiming for realistic piano sounds.
peripatitis
Sound preference aside (and i do think it is a matter of taste and not a matter of quality) the Blofeld is, imho impossible to beat.
It is way more versatile sonically, full of modulation options and costs less than half the money. Probably the keyboard is better as well.
For me this is the most overpriced Nord.
polyslax
peripatitis wrote:
For me this is the most overpriced Nord.

Something weird happened with the price of the Wave. I think MSRP at release was probably US$1999. Initially you saw them street for around $1750-1800 but not too long after release you could buy a new Wave for US$1,599 from NovaMusik. I was looking at picking one up at the time but even at that price I wasn't convinced. Checking them out again a while later I saw the price had jumped by about $800.

My impression was that they weren't quite sure where to position the Wave and they were feeling it out.
fac
There's a Wave for sale for around $1200, six months old, still under warranty. I've been very tempted to buy it to replace my Nord Lead 3 (which I will be selling soon). The NL3 is a better synth, but I already have plenty of synth power with the modulars and the G2, and I would like something more straightforward; also, the ability to load mellotron samples is tempting.
sascha.victoria
Can you modulate the samples with the oscillators?
digitalganesha
Fac, I will trade you my Wave for your NL3. I miss my 3 terribly.
Jason Brock
So sad to hear these opinions of the Wave because I had high hopes for it, especially since it has the best interface by far, compared to other sample players (Blofeld and V-Synth). Every once in a while I get tempted by the Blofeld but I remind myself that I hate menu diving with a passion. I need to test out a V-Synth sometime to see if I get along with it. I just want knobs. Lots of knobs.

@digitalganesha - what do you miss about the NL3? It seems to me that the Wave is so similar, aside from the addition of the sample oscillators.
digitalganesha
The shear amount of sounds you can get from the oscillators blows the Waves away. The FM section on the 3 is much better, the layering of 4 programs, or the option to have four different sounds saved in a performance, the ambience capabilities and the layout. I need a 3 again.
dodecabilly
sascha.victoria wrote:
Can you modulate the samples with the oscillators?

no, but you can modulate oscillator with sample. Putting samples in FM, PM and subtractive environment is what make this synth very capable. But most of my favorite patches doesn't involve samples at all. I like the overall sound, filters are good, effects are very usable.

I'm quite happy with my Wave, but it is a bit overpriced, and I wish it has more routing options.
flabby
So what happened to the Wave? Was it a no goer for Clavia?

I'd really like to get one but they don't seem to come up second hand. I really like the sounds and possibilities, other than those demos where the filter and drive is overused and it sounds a bit too brittle and harsh. I can imagine it's great for weird emulation type stuff if you keep it toned down.

The Nord stage looks brilliant but far too expensive for my lack of keyboard skills.
steffengrondahl
zapp550 wrote:
I tried searching the forum and couldn't find much of anything about this synth. Anybody here own one?

Yes I bought one second hand last summer.

flabby wrote:

It was in production from 2009 to 2013, which is probably to short to call it a succes. I guess the cheaper Blofeld oldsold it.

flabby wrote:
I'd really like to get one but they don't seem to come up second hand.

I see them now and then, but still 1000 -1300 €!

Personally I like this synth. It has a great user interface (particular compared to the Blofeld) and sounds great IMHO. I'm still trying to learn to program it - I am really feeling like a novice and the NW is definitively not the simples synth to start with (but it isn't my first synth at all hmmm.....).

BTW, I made a visual tool for looking into programs (nwp files):
http://synthtools.steffengrondahl.dk/NWPParser.html
Some of you with a NW (and using the Nord Sound Manager for saving programs as nwp files), might find the useful This is fun!
flabby
steffengrondahl wrote:
zapp550 wrote:

Yes I bought one second hand last summer.

flabby wrote:

It was in production from 2009 to 2013, which is probably to short to call it a succes. I guess the cheaper Blofeld oldsold it.

flabby wrote:
I'd really like to get one but they don't seem to come up second hand.

I see them now and then, but still 1000 -1300 €!

Personally I like this synth. It has a great user interface (particular compared to the Blofeld) and sounds great IMHO. I'm still trying to learn to program it - I am really feeling like a novice and the NW is definitively not the simples synth to start with (but it isn't my first synth at all hmmm.....).

BTW, I made a visual tool for looking into programs (nwp files):
http://synthtools.steffengrondahl.dk/NWPParser.html
Some of you with a NW (and using the Nord Sound Manager for saving programs as nwp files), might find the useful This is fun!

Would you say it's good for doing emulation stuff as well as other sounds. I'm thinking B3 organ, clarinet, rhodes, etc? I was looking at the Electro but I think I would get bored pretty quickly without being able to do 'other' sounds. And as I've said the Stage is just too expensive.
steffengrondahl
flabby wrote:
Would you say it's good for doing emulation stuff as well as other sounds. I'm thinking B3 organ, clarinet, rhodes, etc? I was looking at the Electro but I think I would get bored pretty quickly without being able to do 'other' sounds. And as I've said the Stage is just too expensive.

I'm not able to answer that question as I'm solely using it for pure electronic sounds.
dodecabilly
flabby wrote:

It can do rhodes, organs, woodwinds, strings etc. OK, there are some nice samples on the nord website, although there are no velocity layers, only single sample per key - so you need to assign volume and 12db lopass filter to velocity controller in order to play samples dynamically. It worked for me when I couldn't bring Stage with me on gigs, but it's far from Stage when it comes to piano and organ emulations. It is good all around synth, very quick to dial in usable sounds, and when you get familiar with it, it is capable of some real insanity, and beautiful complex pads. Mellotron samples are really good, although i don't use those that much.
flabby
Thanks for the replies!

dodecabilly wrote:
flabby wrote:

It can do rhodes, organs, woodwinds, strings etc. OK, there are some nice samples on the nord website, although there are no velocity layers, only single sample per key - so you need to assign volume and 12db lopass filter to velocity controller in order to play samples dynamically. It worked for me when I couldn't bring Stage with me on gigs, but it's far from Stage when it comes to piano and organ emulations. It is good all around synth, very quick to dial in usable sounds, and when you get familiar with it, it is capable of some real insanity, and beautiful complex pads. Mellotron samples are really good, although i don't use those that much.

Oh wow, I didn't realise they were not velocity layered samples. Serves me right for not reading the details! Cheers dodecabilly.
Struggle
I've had those Don Solaris Vintage Digital samples in my Nord Wave since I bought it and I think they sound amazing..almost sold it several times because I think I need more euro or whatever, but always change my mind. Definitely my favorite digital synth. Awesome pads for days!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2