motu ultralite works well with euro modules?`

Discussion and support for MOTU's Volta software.

Moderators: Kent, stretta

Post Reply
User avatar
Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4231
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 am
Location: Town

motu ultralite works well with euro modules?`

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed May 13, 2009 2:26 am

just paid for this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0307263341

not even sure if it's mk1 or Mk3 as the listing details are kinda lacking but I'm a little buzzed and theres a few bucks in teh bank so I jumped on it :twisted:

I couldn't find a 100% answer that it'll send proper voltages to my euro gear. what if it's the mk1, will it still send a good strong voltage?

thanks.

User avatar
Umcorps
Will patch for food
Posts: 2457
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:33 am
Location: Currently unrecognisable

Post by Umcorps » Wed May 13, 2009 2:35 am

Someone of the electro-music forum mentioned in passing that they had measured their Ultralight outputs as +/- 4 volts. Didn't say which model they had though.

User avatar
Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4231
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 am
Location: Town

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed May 13, 2009 2:36 am

Umcorps wrote:Someone of the electro-music forum mentioned in passing that they had measured their Ultralight outputs as +/- 4 volts. Didn't say which model they had though.
is that good?

User avatar
Umcorps
Will patch for food
Posts: 2457
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:33 am
Location: Currently unrecognisable

Post by Umcorps » Wed May 13, 2009 2:50 am

It should give around 8 octaves of tracking at 1 volt/octave.

Does that qualify as good?

User avatar
Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4231
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 am
Location: Town

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed May 13, 2009 2:53 am

I don't know, can someone define good for me? :razz:

thanks for the info!

User avatar
smitty
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Santa Cruz

Post by smitty » Wed May 13, 2009 3:30 am

I'm assuming your talking about DC Voltages for CV, Midi. If correct, go to this Volta forum thread to brush up :

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2904

User avatar
Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4231
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 am
Location: Town

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed May 13, 2009 3:33 am

I've been there, it doesn't mention the motu ultralite mk3 as far as I know nor the mk1

User avatar
hpsounds
the french icelander
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:54 am
Location: France|Iceland
Contact:

Post by hpsounds » Wed May 13, 2009 6:17 am

Check this thread :

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4951

bar|none was using Volta with his MOTU Ultralie mk3 audio interface, and it works nicely.

To tell the truth, I've borrowed an MOTU Ultralite yesterday night from friends who own a big music store here in Lyon (France). I don't have Volta but I tested this interface against my current one which is a Metric Halo MIO 2882. Really, they are not in the same league sonicaly speaking. The MIO sound is much more clearer and define, and the stability of the MIO drivers are ROCK SOLID !!! But that quality has a price ...

Hédi K.

User avatar
1nput0utput
Common Wiggler
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:00 pm
Location: USA

Re: motu ultralite works well with euro modules?`

Post by 1nput0utput » Wed May 13, 2009 8:10 am

Johnisfaster wrote:just paid for this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0307263341

not even sure if it's mk1 or Mk3 as the listing details are kinda lacking but I'm a little buzzed and theres a few bucks in teh bank so I jumped on it :twisted:

I couldn't find a 100% answer that it'll send proper voltages to my euro gear. what if it's the mk1, will it still send a good strong voltage?

thanks.
For what it's worth, the picture shows an original UltraLite, not an UltraLite mk3. According to the Volta manual, the UltraLite is capable of outputting ±3.5VDC.

Perhaps this thread belongs in the Volta forum.

User avatar
parasitk
Learn to swim
Posts: 4939
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Lost Angeles
Contact:

Post by parasitk » Wed May 13, 2009 10:32 am

hpsounds wrote:To tell the truth, I've borrowed an MOTU Ultralite yesterday night from friends who own a big music store here in Lyon (France). I don't have Volta but I tested this interface against my current one which is a Metric Halo MIO 2882. Really, they are not in the same league sonicaly speaking. The MIO sound is much more clearer and define, and the stability of the MIO drivers are ROCK SOLID !!! But that quality has a price ...
Then it makes even more sense to use an ultralite as a CV interface! Why waste a quality audio interface on CV? :razz:

User avatar
bar|none
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1578
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm
Location: Undertucky, WA

Post by bar|none » Wed May 13, 2009 10:55 am

Ultralite works great as both an audio and a CV interface.

I'm sure the metric halo sounds great but it better for almost 2 grand.

Ultralite is a sweet little unit. The no latency monitoring and routing is fantastic as well.

Congrats.

The one listed is an mk1 which is fine. It just doesn't have on board DSP for effects.

The volt range is good.

User avatar
Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4231
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 am
Location: Town

Re: motu ultralite works well with euro modules?`

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed May 13, 2009 12:48 pm

1nput0utput wrote:Perhaps this thread belongs in the Volta forum.
I wasn't actually aware there was a forum for volta.

thanks

Post Reply

Return to “Volta”