MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Video NAMM GAS thread 2012
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Video NAMM GAS thread 2012
alexwhite
I dropped by here and couldn't believe there was no info or speculation threads already in place? Looking forward to hearing about the new LZX gear at NAMM and any other video orientated gear!
johnnywoods
apparently, it's not an in-demand thread d'oh!

anyways... here's what was new from LZX (didn't see any other video related stuff. Thinking back, Edirol might have had a booth somewhere, but I don't think they've come out with anything interesting in a while):

-COLOR VIDEO DECODER: this was the big one. Full color video input with TBC and proc amp. Controls for brightness, contrast, gamma, saturation, chroma, plus a transformation control section. The transform controls are currently accessed using a single knob, and button presses to access the various parameters (position, scale, anchor point (individual x + y control), and rotation.) There will be an expander which gives CV control to each of these controls, released at the same time as the CVD. There is also a "freeze-frame" trigger.
It worked great, looked great, and will be a massive step forward in flexibility. Just running in-system feedback through it was a blast!

-Color Video Interface: Allows input of either a component color input, or 3 monochrome genlockable sources. (if used for color input, you must either sync the system to the incoming signal, or vice versa. IE: you can't run two asynchronous sources simultaneously. For that, you need CVD). However, if you have 3 genlockable cameras, you can easily get multiple images inside the synth.

-AV Tools: Still an early prototype, and I think Lars was mentioning changing the design on this. Also, it's been covered well in other threads.

-Sandin IP Function Generator and Differentiator: The final production models of these were on display. Three of each, to be specific, which opens a LOT of nice possibilities for color video processing.

-Video Waveshaper: I actually didnt get to play with this one at NAMM, but had a nice demo of it when I was in Sydney last year. It's primary function is to serve as a brightness -> hue color modulator with the help of a VBM (I hope I got that right!), which allows for some very cool colorizer modulation patches. It's very hard to explain without seeing a demo... I have a photo somewhere from Sydney I will try and post. It can also create interesting solarizations, and of course, be used to manipulate waveforms in a pattern/shape synthesis patch.
rico loverde
heres a video on LZX from NAMM via matrixsynth. couldn't get it to embed though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T4UeqjuX6X8
sandyb
here you go:

good work lars thumbs up
johnnywoods
here's that still I took of the waveshaper in action... this was taken during a show at the opera house, so sorry if it's not the best demonstration... anyway, the top screen shows the original source video, and the bottom is the source into the LZX via VSG (b+w input!). The bottom screen is using just the waveshaper and a VBM to do hue modulations. Very very cool!

giorgio
this video waveshaper sounds useful, I've been using ramps and the fader/keyer do so some effects in this department but any headway in converting to different colorspace for processing is more than welcome.
lizlarsen
Hey Johnny, thanks for giving the spill on the new modules. In addition to the ones he mentioned, we also had the Triple Video Multimode Filter prototype.

The new waveshaper is a definite game changer! It's a Hue to IQ converter type thing and opens up some vibrant new palettes and color modulation capabilities.
lizlarsen
here's a quick clip of the new waveshaper in action:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3015590277241
revmutt
creatorlars wrote:
Hey Johnny, thanks for giving the spill on the new modules. In addition to the ones he mentioned, we also had the Triple Video Multimode Filter prototype.

The new waveshaper is a definite game changer! It's a Hue to IQ converter type thing and opens up some vibrant new palettes and color modulation capabilities.

Lars does this group of modules reflect the next bunch that will be releaded? I noticed video logic wasn't mentioned.
lizlarsen
No, it doesn't reflect release order. We didn't have the Video Logic prototype with us at NAMM. While Ed is here in the states over the next few days we are making some final decisions on release order/plans and will be able to announce that soon.
giorgio
what is "IQ"?
johnnywoods
giorgio wrote:
what is "IQ"?

It is sometimes also known as UV, as in YUV or YIQ:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV

Basically, it's a color encoding method which allows a full spectrum of hues to be represented by two color channels (instead of the 3 required for RGB). The Y channel is a monochrome signal.

All analog video uses a variation of YIQ/YUV color to transmit signals. It is a difficult space to work in when modifying or processing an image, however, and is very unintuitive. That's why most hardware/software uses RGB or HSV space.
johnnywoods
also of note from NAMM: The WMD Phase Displacement Oscillator looks like it's going to be an excellent video modulation source at LFO and audio rates. I couldn't get it close enough to the LZX to properly test, but its feature set should provide a more flexible version of a quadrature osc, and it syncs very well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1