MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SnazzyFX Ardcore
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Author SnazzyFX Ardcore
bleeps

I got this from an email exchange with Snazzy Dan:
Quote:
comes with around 28 different synth programs
(listed below)

quantizers
lfos
CV recorder
trigger multiplier
etc

basically it can do a ton of different stuff

all you need is a usb cable. you download the free (open source) progams (very easy) and load one of em onto the module

the module then will store that program indefinitely until you decide to load in a new one

each program uses the jacks and knobs

also,,,if you or anyone you know can program at all, then you can make your own programs

or hell you can even just mess around with the programs and see what happens

it all runs off an AVR and uses the ARDUINO loader which works on MAC Or PC

template
quantizer
drunken walk
drunken note
clock divider
trigger to gate conv
8 step sequencer
gate delay
trigger delay
note delay
glissando
comparator
slope detector
gate sequencer
automatic switch
clock multiplier
logic module
variation gen
LFO w shaping
stepped random
shift register
output standards
CV RECORDER
SIMPLE VCO
VC AD ENVELOPE
FACdrum player

No word on price yet
hanerlend
sooo... this is basically a module that can be all sorts of modules? interesting
numan7
and i was just thinking the other day that my system could use more purple faceplates! thumbs up

nice layout + looks extremely useful! hyper

cheers
radiodread87
So wanted to post that pic earlier but was sworn to secrecy Ninja

and yeah the ardcore can be a whole heap of things. I cant wait to get my drunken walk on ! Guinness ftw!
SamUK
Really cool, is it using the ATmega328 (same as the Arduino Uno?)

I'm guessing that A0-A3 are analogue inputs? And that D0-D1 are digital input and output pins (PWM available?)

Any ability to add an SD card reader?
Drumdrumdrumdrum
This is very interesting
Protofrangiste
That's a great news! applause
I found some sketch examples here : http://20objects.com/

From what I understood it's a student who started it with a kit and Snazzy FX ported it in eurorack format...

That's an already huge base, and thinking of mixes you can do with them is pretty overwhelming...

That gave me so many ideas!
amsonx
wonderful ! i'll hope to get my hand on it
abendrot
So you could build a modular with just ardcore modules and it
could be a different modular every day. Sounds interesting. hmmm.....
fac
Quote:
comes with around 28 different synth programs
(listed below)

FACdrum player

Huh? They never asked for my (written) permission to include that. I'm going to sue Dan's ass to the last cent.

Just kidding (anyone can download my sketches from the 20objects website). I'm glad to see the Ardcore finally coming out in Euro. I'm tempted to buy another one.
fac
SamUK wrote:
Really cool, is it using the ATmega328 (same as the Arduino Uno?)

Yes. The board is actually an Arduino Nano.

SamUK wrote:

I'm guessing that A0-A3 are analogue inputs? And that D0-D1 are digital input and output pins (PWM available?)

Correct about A0-A3. D0 and D1 are outputs only. D0 supports PWM - you just need to run the output through an integrator (e.g., a slew limiter) to obtain useful control voltages.

SamUK wrote:

Any ability to add an SD card reader?

No idea, but I remember there was some discussion in the 5U forum about the possibility of having, say, 8 sketches loaded in memory at a time, and using a switch to select one of them, instead of having to constantly reprogram the board.

Here's the link to the original Ardcore thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32449
fac
abendrot wrote:
So you could build a modular with just ardcore modules and it
could be a different modular every day. Sounds interesting. hmmm.....

Well, not really. The Ardcore is great for CV generation/processing, and can even do some audio-rate stuff (very basic oscillators / sample players), but the output has only an 8-bit resolution and the sample rate is very limited, so doing stuff like complex oscs, filtering or delay-based effects could be a real challenge with questionable results.

But... it's great to have one ardcore in you system for those times where you could use one extra quantizer/LFO/envelope/random-CV-generator/whatever in your patch, but you don't really need or want to buy another module. It can also do basic sequencing and CV-recording. I use mine mostly to produce randomish/algorithmic sequences.
hawaii8
Wow!
looking forward to buy one.
silversurfer
Looks a great module.
Talking of looks, the module is still wearing it's 1980's shell suit!
I know every manufacturer wants their unique look so easy to stand out in someone's rack, but please tell me thats not the final design.
loss1234
Hey guys

This has been redesigned by snazzy to use
An atmega328(socketed)

The "student" is Darwin from cycling 74...he is
Amazing.

This really is like having 25 new modules
Added to your system!

Videos coming this week.

More info soon

Thanks!!!

Dan

Snazzy Fx
hanerlend
with some programming, would you be able to make it a dual EG, or even better an EG + an LFO etc?

btw. i love the look of snazzy-modules and pedals. (maybe except the religious symbol eye part on the dreamboat) i've liked them ever since they announced their first guitar pedals.

hoping we'll see more equivalents to zvex, snazzy, lovetone etc in the euro world.
fac
hanerlend wrote:
with some programming, would you be able to make it a dual EG, or even better an EG + an LFO etc?

With some programming *and* a slew limiter, yes. The slew limiter would be required to obtain a smooth signal from the D0 output in PWM mode. However, the EG's should be very simple (e.g., AD or decay only) because you only have four parameter controls, and in the case of the dual EG, you would have to use one of the inputs (A2 or A3) as a second gate.

An EG/LFO combo would be simple, though. Two knobs for attack and decay times, two knobs for LFO speed and waveshape (say, from down-saw to triangle to up-saw), clock input for EG gate, main output for EG output, and D0 output for LFO output. Dual LFO is also very doable.

Even a triple-LFO would be possible given that one of the LFOs outputs only a square/pulse wave (through D1) - you could then run it through another slew limiter to obtain triangle/sawtooth.

Shit, you just inspired me to make a triple-LFO sketch.
lessavyfav
The art is...
Remember Jack Nicholson in Batman?

This is one of those modules everyone who's used arduino plans to DIY... So glad someone just made it!
asterisk
cool.
sgnhh
does it store programs or do you have to keep it chained to a pc to load others?
qu.one
Love it Dan!
vav
Hmm...not sure if want...
SamUK
sgnhh wrote:
does it store programs or do you have to keep it chained to a pc to load others?

Programs would be 'burned' on to it via the USB port, they'd stay there until you decide to burn a different one (again via the USB port).
rico loverde
silversurfer wrote:
Looks a great module.
Talking of looks, the module is still wearing it's 1980's shell suit!
I know every manufacturer wants their unique look so easy to stand out in someone's rack, but please tell me thats not the final design.
have u seen the other snazzy fx stuff? this fits with their other designs so i see no reason why he would change it and I for one welcome a little creativity design wise.
phase ghost
Oh fuck yes. I've been waiting on this module since it first got mentioned. I'm gonna write so many scripts for this baby.
phase ghost
Anyone know how many HP this will be? Looks to be around 12.
fredguy
Awesome way to audition modules before buying.
loss1234
the module is 51mm wide

hope this helps!

and yes, the programs are stored on the module.

NO NEED FOR A PC once you select your program

it basically becomes that module until you decide to overwrite it

I have no plans to change the graphics, though this was a prototype panel, so the colors will be a bit brighter and easier to read on the final run (a brighter green)

thanks!

( now that I am back from NAMM I will begin posting info on youtube and on my site about this module)
koobraelc
beautiful pannel This is fun!
suboptimal
Looks rad. Sounds like it'll be rad.

It's rad.
phase ghost
hyper hyper hyper
loss1234
I am starting to post videos...I have made about 6 so far

each one showcases one or two of the programs

the first one doesnt use the DAC Out, its just a clock divider

this falls under the GATE/TRIG programs (of which there are quite a few)

gate extenders, clock dividers, Logic sketch, etc

but a DUAL clock divider is a handy thing so even though this isnt the most exciting out of all the programs, i still think it is very useful

later tonight I will post some more (CV recorder, CV controlled Envelope)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApqY79eoebU[/video]
SamUK
Looks really cool, any idea of timescale & price?

Also, is the hardware going to be under a similar open-source license to the Arduino stuff?
yghartsyrt
This is like the best of both worlds – modular and arduino applications.

can't wait screaming goo yo
yghartsyrt
SamUK wrote:
Looks really cool, any idea of timescale & price?

Also, is the hardware going to be under a similar open-source license to the Arduino stuff?

+1
mckenic
lessavyfav wrote:
This is one of those modules everyone who's used arduino plans to DIY... So glad someone just made it!

My thoughts exactly! hihi

Really glad to see this come out, really interesting module (this is the same one that the developer in the original thread said was coming to Euro right?).

If there were some way (via an expander or something) to squirt sketches to it from an SD card, Id instantly be all over it. Looking forward to the demo videos - I think this just might be for me! I really need a quantizer!

Would be hitting qu.one up after purchasing, but that is just a personal thing. Congrats on the release, been thinking of a module like this for AGES!

thumbs up
SamUK
mckenic wrote:
If there were some way (via an expander or something) to squirt sketches to it from an SD card, Id instantly be all over it. Looking forward to the demo videos - I think this just might be for me! I really need a quantizer!

An SD card would be awesome for wavetables too....

You wouldn't necessarily need an SD card for multiple programs, I doubt most of the sketches are very large so you could probably bundle them all into a bigger program. You're problem would be selecting them at runtime.
mckenic
Indeed, didnt think of wavetables!

This is WAY beyond me but what I was thinking was a button, an SD card and a dial (say 12 position or something). So you would have 12 sketches on the card and dial in the selected sketch. Push a a button to cut power to the main module and when it boots it goes into upload mode, push again to upload sketch number 6 or whatever.

Im very sure better minds than me have thought about it and I would have no hope of coding something like that - just a thought tho!
SamUK
I think if we're not careful we're going to start requesting Ableton Live in a module soon....

Maybe an 'Ardcore+' later on down the line with an SD card, LCD, buttons, etc, etc, might be a better way to go about things.
mckenic
Definitely not!!! Trying to get away from the bloody PC here! hihi

More of a thought experiment to see if I could imagine diy-ing something like this up - unfortunately not (at the moment)!

Sorry for the derail!
Matos
Just watched the videos. Very cool module. The sketch upload looks easy breezy, and the patches seem really useful. A patch storage expander would put this thing over the top in awesomeness. Really curious as to the price point. By the way, the graphics are awesome. For such an experimental format geared towards creativity, it's interesting how reserved many are aesthetically. Saving my nickels for a triple key generator. But I think I'll have one of these guys before long.
loss1234
three new videos up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf9fZpzcjAI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1M2G5ILizs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBDb5lqYmLQ&feature=related

more tomorrow!
GeoffC
This looks really fun! I've done some basic Arduino stuff with my modular; this module looks like it will be a great way to get a nice-packaged Arduino platform going.

One question, will a schematic be available to purchasers? I know you have a lot of cool sketches for it but I would also be interested in doing my own,

And yep I'll ask too - any word on availability date and/or price?

Thanks!

GeoffC
phase ghost
GeoffC wrote:

One question, will a schematic be available to purchasers? I know you have a lot of cool sketches for it but I would also be interested in doing my own,

You should be able to use one of the sketches as a template for assigning the pots and jacks in your custom code. That's what I planned on doing.

On a related note, does anyone know of another IDE (OSX compatible) for coding and uploading sketches? I opened up some of my old sketches last night and was reminded of how much the Arduino IDE sucks. After using Xcode and Aptana all day, the Arduino IDE is like using notepad.

I could code in something else and paste into Arduino, but I'd rather not.
HueMonContact
I've had my "eye" on this module for while now, so good to see Snazzy FX bringing this kind of functionality to euro. Very exciting times for the format.
I can't wait to get my grubby paws on this. Great design by the way,
I love the Snazzy aesthetics. thumbs up
Junk Rhythm
phase ghost wrote:
On a related note, does anyone know of another IDE (OSX compatible) for coding and uploading sketches? I opened up some of my old sketches last night and was reminded of how much the Arduino IDE sucks. After using Xcode and Aptana all day, the Arduino IDE is like using notepad.

You can use Eclipse with Arduino.
GeoffC
phase ghost wrote:
GeoffC wrote:

You should be able to use one of the sketches as a template for assigning the pots and jacks in your custom code. That's what I planned on doing.

I agree; however I was wondering if he has input processing, protection against negative voltage, etc., on the inputs (or outputs for that matter).

And yeah the Arduino IDE is bit painful huh? smile

GeoffC
phase ghost
Well, the arduino can only generate a 0-5v signal on it's own, so the output shouldn't be an issue. As far as the input, I'm not sure if he has any protection in the design. A negative voltage, overvoltage, etc. will damage an arduino, so that's a good question.
loss1234
sure...once we get to that point (module release) i can post a schematic...there IS input protection.

I am hoping people will write their own sketches!

this should be coming out in late winter/early spring

also from Darwin Grosse....

"there are limitations with the Arduino (and its Harvard topology) that prevent a switchable patch expander. So it doesn't seem like that will be in our future."
science
Looking forward to this module... been hoping someone would come out with something like this for quite a while. Surprised it didn't happen sooner, actually.
glitched01
Proof that digital can really thrive in an analog, modular environment.
GeoffC
loss1234 wrote:
sure...once we get to that point (module release) i can post a schematic...there IS input protection.

I am hoping people will write their own sketches!

this should be coming out in late winter/early spring

also from Darwin Grosse....

"there are limitations with the Arduino (and its Harvard topology) that prevent a switchable patch expander. So it doesn't seem like that will be in our future."

Really looking forward to this module - I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl! smile

And yeah I do plan on writing some sketches, with an eye to sharing them. I suspect others will to.

Anyways thanks for the replies to the questions!

GeoffC
zvukoprocessor
great module! will be buying one as soon as they are available. Absolutely love the design.
Waz
Thank you for making this.
we're not worthy
science
GeoffC wrote:
And yeah I do plan on writing some sketches, with an eye to sharing them. I suspect others will to.

Definitely... the ability to do so is what makes this module exciting to me to begin with. Breadboards become annoying after a while.
lightworks
Looks similar to Addac 001, does it have dac's with 16bit resolution?
love the panel!
loss1234
the entire spec, along with code is available here

though it is not exactly the same hardware implementation (darwins used an arduino Nano, we are using an atmega 328 with our own implementation of the support circuitry, etc)

http://20objects.com/downloads/
loss1234
one of the best sketches for ARDCORE was submitted by Alfonso Alba (fac)

its a drum sample player with voltage control over PITCH of the drums and Voltage control of drum selection

these are Yamaha Ry-30 drum sounds

I have posted a video of this being run on an Ardcore

thanks

mckenic
That video is WIN!

Have to watch again... and again...

applause
fac
Great video.

Dan has been asking me incessantly (ok, just a couple emails) about the possibility of loading one's own samples into the ardcore sketch. It is definitely possible, but my current "method" is quite convoluted.

I'm in the process of making a simple program where the user can load the eight samples, and the program will automatically generate a new drum sampler sketch with those sounds, but with my current workload it will take me a couple of weeks to finish. Also, keep in mind that memory in the ardcore is extremely limited, so the samples must be very short - around 1600 samples, but the samplerate can be different for each sound. Most of the default sounds had to be subsampled to around 24 KHz, which means the length of each sound is about 68 ms. Downsampling to 8 KHz would give you around 200 ms for each sound but bad mid/top frequency reproduction.
bleeps
Scha-wing!
mckenic
So any date/price info please? This has just mad it to the top of my list hihi
loss1234
late march/early april.

The retail should be $330 unless something changes.

I have added a new video today (my new envelope program)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUTPjH8iMxk&feature=g-upl&context=G2e13 d6aAUAAAAAAAAAA

I will keep adding videos and making new programs until this is ready!!
in the last two weeks I have added a bunch of new programs...simple bass oscillator, basic ADSR, a noise generator, a couple crazy glitchy sketches etc.

some of them have already been added to the user library on the software page.

thanks for your interest!!!
lombrose
Wow!
loss1234
We just got an awesome arpeggiator added to the llist!!!!!

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2012/02/snazzy-fx-ardcorearpeggiator.html

thanks douglas ferguson!

i am planning on having 25 new programs/ modules added to the list in addition to the 20 objects 25. so around 50 programs will be available on release.

i am amazed everyday at what this can do!

shouldnt be too much longer (month or so) till release!

dan
radiodread87
loss1234 wrote:

thanks douglas ferguson!

i am planning on having 25 new programs/ modules added to the list in addition to the 20 objects 25. so around 50 programs will be available on release.

dan

thats awesome Dan eagerly anticipating this release!
mckenic
Yup!

Looks better & better with each video!
lombrose
applause
SunSpots
loss1234 wrote:

thanks douglas ferguson!

dan

I realize these are programmable, and you'll have a lot of programs at release. That really interests me. I am curious to know on the arpeggiator, did you include CV control?
Basically, that will be a question on every program, is there cv control?
Thank you

SunSpots
DonKartofflo
Damn, the arpeggiator really made my GAS for this module grow stronger than ever w00t
16osc
loss1234 wrote:

if i understand correctly, anyone can write new sketches using the arduino dev tools. if i want to start writing things for it now, how do i test them?
fac
16osc wrote:

if i understand correctly, anyone can write new sketches using the arduino dev tools. if i want to start writing things for it now, how do i test them?

Yes, you can go to arduino.cc and download the IDE and start working. Darwin's sketches are a great starting point to develop your own.

The IDE can verify that the code compiles, but without an actual arduino board there's not much else you can do, as the IDE does not include a simulator.

You may be able to use a 3rd-party simulator, such as -> this one <-, but I haven't tried that.
toppobrillo
hey looks fun, I musta missed it but are you using the atmega's PWM or did you include DACs?
fac
toppobrillo wrote:
hey looks fun, I musta missed it but are you using the atmega's PWM or did you include DACs?

The Ardcore includes its own 8-bit DAC for the main analog output, and one of its digital outputs support PWM.
loss1234
Hey guys

Well, i have now added a DIGITAL DELAY
To the list!

Its being used on ardcore #2 in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cta-qyXaUwQ&feature=youtube_gdata_playe r

Also...someone asked about CV

yes....every sketch (for the most part) has CV control

On the arpeggiator, cv can change root and octave

Also...on most sketches its super simple to re-route how the
Cv jacks are used

In addition to cv, many sketches have a clock input, or a gate in
loss1234
Fac made a triple lfo for this...gonna get video up

So, you have a good DAC and you have two
Ports which can be used as well, so you can program
To use pwm and dac

Its so much FUN
fac
Coming soon: FM Oscillator sketch for the Ardcore (two sine oscillators in modulator/carrier configuration)
Matos
Ooh! Like the blue and white. Snazzy indeed. This is getting greater and greater everyday.
loss1234
actually the blue and white was a reject panel...no one seemed to like it

so the first run is going to be Bright green (not the green of the current demos) and a nice purple to match the purple knobs

if there is enough interest, i might do a run for sale of powedercoated, silkscreened, blue and white panels

since the run would be small, I am not sure of the price, but for people who buy more than one ardcore, it might be fun to switch out the panel.

i am really excited by the delay...and the FM oscillator...and the arppegiator...and the lfos, and the weird noisemakers i have been making

its kind of neat because you can load a new program for a specific improv...or write a program for a specific idea you have
mckenic
PLEASE - put me down for one of the Blue/White - PLEASE!?!?!
loss1234
let me be clear..if peole want blue and whites panels for their Ardcores, we could do it as a group buy. they would take about 6-8 weeks to manufacture.

i cant put up the money for this on my own as the Ardcore has taken every cent I have.

i dont even have money to pay my phone bill right now. smile

making the panels means money up front and there is a minimum buy. (i think it would be 30 people but the price might go down if we do 50...I normally do over 100)

so I would need around 30-50 people to say they wanted to buy a blue and white panel. then i would calculate the price. (it would be like a group buy)

you would buy your Ardcore as you normally would (direct or from one of the fine dealers who will be carrying it) and you would switch out the panel.
or if you bought it direct, i could switch it out for you.

the main advantage for people who want 2 of these (or more) in their rack is that it will allow you to easily differentiate between the two.

i hope people are getting excited!!!

by the way...if all goes well, the ardcore could be ready in 4 weeks. smile
mckenic
Oh! I completely understand mate!

Ive been saving for a new computer (BADLY needed) and after 2 months of buying nothing - really - not spending anything - I owe the credit card €249!
woah Its horrible and I have been itching to buy some quantizers!!!

I HOPE to get an Ardcore and then if all is good perhaps a second, so I would hope for 2 panels if they become available.

I know this will sound very silly - but it is the truth so there it is - Im long sighted in one eye and short in the other... I get migraines a LOT! Cant see 3d movies correctly, cant use the Nintendo 3DS and those Magic Eye pictures make me vomit. There has been some software I couldnt buy because of GUI thingies. Its just something I have and I got used to it. I could see myself using the current panel in low light and with blinking lights and getting a headache.

I know its not anyones problem and might sound rather dramatic - but some times I look at something and have to say to myself - Uh oh! That wouldnt be good for my head!

Anyway - on to nicer things - 4 weeks 'should' give me enough time to save up! Great news!

thumbs up
fac
@mckenic: That's some strange problem you have, dude. Doesn't sound dramatic at all. Do glasses help?

Anyway, I am already sure I will buy a second Ardcore for my MU system as soon as I have the funds. They're that good! I would buy Dan's euro version as well, but my euro system is very small and focused.

I don't have much time to develop sketches, but Dan and I are already collaborating on some great stuff like Karplus-Strong synthesis, delay based effects, maybe some filters. Quality is limited to 8-bit and a samplerate of around 32 KHz, but fun things can be done with this little fellow.
mckenic
thumbs up

Thanks man - nah, glasses actually made it worse. I wore them from 16-18 but then stopped. Not a big thing really, but I do go down for perhaps 3 days out of a 6month period with horrible migraine headaches. Still, Im fairly active sports wise, soccer, cricket, golf and Im not required to have glasses etc for driving - must be all right with hand eye coordination hihi

Anyhoo - Ardcore!!! FTW!!!
loss1234
and wow...just wait till a bunch of people have these! there is talk of getting a github site going for people working on projects together...i think the more people that get them the more people will find areas they want to program something in.

by the time the Snazzy FX ardcore comes out, there is going to be a program base of at least 40 programs.

thats a lot. but if 10 more people, or 20 each make one program, then the
ideas will grow and grow.

PLUS...its very easy to take Arduino code you find, change the output to the DAC, change the controls to the pots and CV ins.....and away you go!
amnesia
I am a convert! I will buy 2.
robotfunk
any idea about the current draw on this?
roadstersuntan
I'm totally up for having a panel as I have an Ardcore board from 20Objects that I need to populate and mount so count me in for a panel.
loss1234
OK good news

The Metal is Done and the boards have been verified! I have 5 brand new working ardcores sitting right here. I am waiting for the metal to show up and the rest of the boards. Then it will be testing/ assembling/shipping time.

Start emailing me your pre-orders (just a couple weeks off now) OR start bugging your dealers!

everyone should be able to have ardcores by the end of the april or before
radiodread87
loss1234 wrote:
OK good news

The Metal is Done and the boards have been verified! I have 5 brand new working ardcores sitting right here. I am waiting for the metal to show up and the rest of the boards. Then it will be testing/ assembling/shipping time.

Start emailing me your pre-orders (just a couple weeks off now) OR start bugging your dealers!

everyone should be able to have ardcores by the end of the april or before

This is Awesome news thumbs up cant wait for this.
loss1234
IMPORTANT:

as of now Schneiders in Germany has not ordered any ARDCORES.

so if you want the ARDCORE and you normally order from them, please let them know you want them to stock the ARDCORE!!

also you can PM me or email me at

overlord at snazzyfx dot com with any questions
loss1234
this is a low quality photo BUT i wanted people to see how much better the final purple panels look...more readable, brighter green, etc

mckenic
That is not so bad actually!

Will Escape from Noise be getting any please? Never used Schneiders (no reason just Ulf is super cool!).
HueMonContact
I love the purple and green... But I was a big comic book nerd and this has that Batman: The Killing Joke kind of vibe to it. I will absolutely be buying one of these and coding some programs for it!
loss1234
yes escape from noise has ordered a few !

post modular uk as well

as well as moog audio in canada

Australia is covered!
loss1234
i cant wait to see what all of you program!!
amnesia
I bought one!. I guess you can say I'm ardcore!
radiodread87
amnesia wrote:

Howd you get an ardcore already?? Or do you mean the dreamboat you recently got from me wink
amnesia
radiodread87 wrote:
amnesia wrote:

Howd you get an ardcore already?? Or do you mean the dreamboat you recently got from me wink

I bought it direct when it was mentioned on this forum :-) I just had to have one today :-)
radiodread87
amnesia wrote:
radiodread87 wrote:
amnesia wrote:

I bought it direct when it was mentioned on this forum :-) I just had to have one today :-)

Ahhh right well done then! let me know how you go with it I reckon itll be really interesting to see what sketches people come up with for it.
studiokpg
I'm definitely buying one of these. I've been working on my own Arduino module for a while, and I know its not easy to make this work! I can hardly wait!
ether
studiokpg wrote:
... its not easy to make this work...

Out of interest, is it the hardware or software that's difficult? I'm about to start down this road...
studiokpg
For what the Ardcore does, the hardware is difficult, as it includes a separate DAC/ADC. For my project (a trigger generator, kind of like the Intellijel Pulse Tornado) it is that I keep having mysterious problems that I can't track down - I suspect power supply but am having trouble fixing it. My biggest problem is that I don't have any training in this at all, I'm flying by the seat of my pants! It's motherfucking bacon yo
The software is fairly straightforward if you have some programming experience, and there is a TON of help available on the web. PM me if you want.
amnesia
There are enough presets ( oh my got I said I am using presets!) to keep us going.
ether
studiokpg wrote:
I'm flying by the seat of my pants!

As am I! Coding is fine, but I have absolutely no electronics experience.

I was planning on starting small - PWM-based dodgy CV from the appropriate outs on the Arduino? - and learning as I go. With an eye on this puppy when I'm more competent:

http://www.openmusiclabs.com/projects/codec-shield/

And of course, an Ardcore as an actual thing that works that I can code for and use, while I tinker away on my own little gadgets.
loss1234
just wanted to let people know that the ARDCORE should be able to run double duty as a module which can communicate with your computer and to programs like PD and MAX/MSP using Arduinos Firmata sketch.

/*
* Firmata is a generic protocol for communicating with microcontrollers
* from software on a host computer. It is intended to work with
* any host computer software package.
* To download a host software package, please clink on the following link
* to open the download page in your default browser.
* http://firmata.org/wiki/Download
*/

this would be neat for having your modular interact with Max.
radiodread87
loss1234 wrote:
just wanted to let people know that the ARDCORE should be able to run double duty as a module which can communicate with your computer and to programs like PD and MAX/MSP using Arduinos Firmata sketch.

/*
* Firmata is a generic protocol for communicating with microcontrollers
* from software on a host computer. It is intended to work with
* any host computer software package.
* To download a host software package, please clink on the following link
* to open the download page in your default browser.
* http://firmata.org/wiki/Download
*/

this would be neat for having your modular interact with Max.

w00t screaming goo yo screaming goo yo You keep making it more awesome Dan!!! this is insane
studiokpg
loss1234 wrote:

Amazing!!! Rockin' Banana! SlayerBadger! Rawk! The Chewbacca Defense
loss1234

metal arrived today

[/img]
numan7
SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t

cheers
loss1234
just posted a video of FACS awesome FM VCO sketch for the ardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzRmFs1I-YY&feature=g-upl&context=G2e13 d6aAUAAAAAAAAAA
loss1234
hey people

I have ONE MORE ARDCORE left to sell direct for the moment...it will be another week or two before the rest of them are in my hands...so if you want an ARDCORE shipped to you today...EMAIL ME OR PM ME!.
Matos
Just plugged mine in! Such a rad module. Feels great, and the panel is beautifully printed. Literally just plugged it in so I've only played with the sketch it was loaded with, but if this is only 1/40th of the fun, then it's going to be a looong night. Knob blisters for knob twisters! nanners
qu.one
just picked mine up today and WOW. looks fantastic and does wonderful things.

recorded some audio of fac's "fac_drums" sketch being twisted around and going into the FX6 i just took possession of:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1994658/fac_drums_test.mp3

have to find out exactly how to make new drum maps for more chaotic drum fun!
Matos
Spent some more time with this thing. It's insane! So much to explore. It's a monster. I've spent two days just playing with the oscillators! I haven't even gotten the the zillion cv sketches. Wish I had three. Who wants to buy me two more?
bsmith
where are these being sold?

edit: ahh just saw a few posts up, some are going out direct.
Matos
Yeah. They should be in store soon. Tons of fun in a little space.
amnesia
Hope to have mine soon :-)
Matos
amnesia
Totally off top, but have you ever seen a wattle cup catipiller? they're so amazing, like a magically party bus. Would be a good friend for a ardcore visually.
amnesia
totally love them
radiodread87
amnesia wrote:
totally love them

Cuuuuuuute woah and mindblowingly colourful hehe
amnesia
you should try licking them. I was in the future for a week!
qu.one
Just wanted to add that anyone who has a concern over the panel needn't have one. It's pretty muted in real life and the pots and jacks are labelled properly. The panel seems symmetrical so you could flip it around to a solid green.
qu.one
Another demo: Rene sequencing the SIMPLE VCO from the Original 26. It is going into an MMF-1 and my son is twiddling some knobs with me. Just recorded straight into Ableton via my laptops built in input. Keep it gritty.

Happy Easter!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1994658/ARDCORE_SimpleVCO.mp3
loss1234
great stuff!

Richard Devine posted this today

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150782819805358
mr chombee
Are there any plans for an expansion module (e.g. for a 2nd DAC output)?
amnesia
mr chombee wrote:
Are there any plans for an expansion module (e.g. for a 2nd DAC output)?

I think the idea is to buy 2
loss1234
it really makes more sense to buy 2

even if we made an "expander" you still could not run 2 programs at once

most people buy 2 (i run 3)

thanks!
fac
In any case, I don't think the microcontroller which the Ardcore is based on has enough digital outputs to feed another DAC.

However, the D0 output supports PWM and it can be used as a second analog output.
loss1234
just a reminder

the snazzy fx Ardcore is NOT based on the NANO

the Snazzy FX version uses a socketed Atmega328pu with an OPTI bootloader configured as an arduino UNO

but yes, it is true using Parallel outs, there are only enough lines for one DAC

you can do multi-channel in SPI but SPI is harder to program and alas, ARDCORE was meant to be easy to pick up and run with.

(and it is)

however the Snazzy FX ARDCORE has two jacks from the DAC so you can send one to a filter and one to a vco or one to a scope and one to a mixer...etc

thanks
fac
loss1234 wrote:

the snazzy fx Ardcore is NOT based on the NANO

the Snazzy FX version uses a socketed Atmega328pu with an OPTI bootloader configured as an arduino UNO

but yes, it is true using Parallel outs, there are only enough lines for one DAC

Oh, I didn't know that. I stand corrected.

With some clever programming and a couple of slew processors, I think all three outputs on the Ardcore could be used as analog outputs.
akrylik
Is it possible to plug a monome directly into this and handle osc packets in real-time over the USB interface? If so, I think this would be the perfect way to write little monome<-->CV apps such as sequencers without needing a PC.
akrylik
I guess the first hurdle is that the ardcore can only be a USB slave? So you would need to add one of these?

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9628
DoctorDoolittle
very very cool, the faceplate looks superb.... i want one....
loss1234
i dont think there is any reason the USB port is only a slave....it can do two way serial communication...however you would have to write an arduino sketch that would take advantage of that usb port

it has a ft232 usb to serial converter chip in it
akrylik
loss1234 wrote:
i dont think there is any reason the USB port is only a slave....it can do two way serial communication...however you would have to write an arduino sketch that would take advantage of that usb port

In that case, I might just have to get one. This could be a great USB interface board for any USB controller to my modular...
andrewl0
Implementing a true USB MIDI solution on an Arduino is tricky, however you can run MIDI over USB using virtual serial connection between the Arduino and your host computer. See:

http://spikenzielabs.com/SpikenzieLabs/Serial_MIDI.html

However I haven't seen anything that would allow you to connect a traditional USB over MIDI controller to an Arduino. I believe it's a matter of the Atmega328 not being able to handle the data rates associated with native USB.
amnesia
Just got my Ardcore in the mail , just in time for my birthday :-)

Maybe I have missed something but I have downloaded the sketches but have no idea how to load them into the Ardcore?

I don't think I have the mac program to transfer the sketches.????
akrylik
@amnesia: did you order it direct? how much was it?
amnesia
akrylik wrote:
@amnesia: did you order it direct? how much was it?

Ordered direct when the amazing Snazzy Dan mentioned a preorder.
qu.one
amnesia wrote:
Just got my Ardcore in the mail , just in time for my birthday :-)

Maybe I have missed something but I have downloaded the sketches but have no idea how to load them into the Ardcore?

I don't think I have the mac program to transfer the sketches.????

you need this; http://arduino.cc/hu/Main/Software

and may also need to install MacPorts if the Ardcore doesn't show up in the Arduino Software: http://www.macports.org/

Dan can definitely walk you through setting it up. I would PM him.
Matos
Yeah, it's super easy. Once you download it from the like above your golden. Takes about ten seconds to transfer and the module is awesome. Happy birthday!
amnesia
Just spent 5 minutes on this TOTALLY PHUKING AMAZING module and HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TO EVERYONE!!!!! :-)

Be warned though, you will need more than 4 of these . :-)
loss1234
Good news.....dealers are now stocking the Ardcore!

I know ANALOGUE HAVEN has them as of
Saturday, POST MODULAR has them as well
With other dealers worldwide getting them this week
(Australia,canada, EU,etc)

Contact me with ANY questions!!

Dan
radiodread87
loss1234 wrote:
Good news.....dealers are now stocking the Ardcore!

I know ANALOGUE HAVEN has them as of
Saturday, POST MODULAR has them as well
With other dealers worldwide getting them this week
(Australia,canada, EU,etc)

Contact me with ANY questions!!

Dan

Indeed cant wait to get my order in at Equinoxoz! this module is going to be an absolute game changer.

Thank you Dan and Snazzy FX!
loss1234
for those who want one right away and are having trouble finding one, you can still get one direct from me for a little while.

just PM me

thanks

Dan
ignatius
in stock at AH.

oh noes! my money!

http://www.analoguehaven.com/snazzyfx/ardcore/
numan7
mine arrived today! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t

now to go learn how to load sketches... hmmm.....

cheers
rjungemann
I think you'll really dig it, especially after seeing the Dreamboat/chaotic videos you posted. I recommend picking a pre-existing Ardcore sketch to start and tweak it. The programming part is easy IMO as far as programming goes, but I was confused what pins to output to etc. at first.

I think it'd be cool if the Ardcore became a "gateway drug" into programming and code sharing (via Github) for some folks :¬)
numan7
thumbs up yep - once you have the FTDI-drivers (from arduino 0023 dowload pkg) installed, it's easy-breezy.... i have the drunken-walk and variation-generator sketches installed right now!

now to go compose some chaos... twisted

cheers
pas
holy cesar romero batman, i'm more & more convinced by the ardcore. will have to get one pronto.
numan7
Lotsa Love at first patch for the ardcore!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/shinybeast/yellow-chaos-3-rattlesnake[/s]

cheers
apertureburn
haven't seen it mentioned before:

hp?
rjungemann
10 hp.
Vcoadsr
apertureburn wrote:
haven't seen it mentioned before:

hp?

10 HP from what it says on schneiders website:

http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/snazzy-fx-–-ardcore- module
(weird link, you'll just have to copy it into your browser, it is correct).

I hope so because I just ordered one from Post Modular.

Would also be interested in knowing the depth too for skiff purposes.
apertureburn
thanks guys SlayerBadger!
rjungemann
I haven't found the depth online. Just about 30mm with ribbon cable attached, maybe a tiny bit less.
numan7
i could fit both of mine in a goikes 3u makenoise skiff, although the tolerance between the ardcore pcbs and the wooden rails of the skiff is rather tight. there is plenty of room depthwise though.

cheers
amnesia
CV Slime filmed me demoing the Ardcore and ZDSP Broken Circuit Error Code#1

Cray demo Snazzy FX Ardcore
radiodread87
amnesia wrote:
CV Slime filmed me demoing the Ardcore
[video]https://vimeo.com/42582627[/video]

that is excellent Ross nice work indeed!
pas
amnesia wrote:
[video]https://vimeo.com/42582627[/video]

fuck yeah Ross, SlayerBadger!
cv slime 800
radiodread87 wrote:
amnesia wrote:

that is excellent Ross nice work indeed!

Fixed the link. thumbs up
Orbless
now presenting the SnazzyFX DNA

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120521163751.htm
darwingrosse
Man, you guys are totally rawkin' the Ardcore. My 5U pals can't seem to find enough ponytail in it (save for fac and diophantine...), but the Euro crew is making 'er scream.

I'm always looking for ideas for programming, so if you have a plan but are concerned about coding, let me know. I need me some inspiration!!!
darwingrosse
loss1234 wrote:

you can do multi-channel in SPI but SPI is harder to program and alas, ARDCORE was meant to be easy to pick up and run with.

And SPI is slow as sin in comparison to the parallel outputs. We gots to have our snappy output!
darwingrosse
loss1234 wrote:

Sadly, the standard Arduino-stylie circuit cannot support host mode. I actually have been goofing with an Arduino Host Shield for making a monome driver, but latching that on top of the Ardcore is pretty much a no-go.

Sorry... cry
boramx
Can you guys/gals list the features of the quantizers that currently fit ardcore?
ignatius
so, loading RY30 samples.. seems like only a matter of time until someone makes a basic wavetable type of LFO or oscillator
darwingrosse
boramx wrote:
Can you guys/gals list the features of the quantizers that currently fit ardcore?

(This is the AC02_Quantizer sketch...)

Pretty straight forward, really. It quantizes the A2 input to the nearest semitone, and puts out both a trigger and gate whenever a new value is output. The A0 control provides transposition, and A1 determins the length of the gate output (useful when dealing with some primitive envelopes).

The A3 input, when turned HIGH (> 2.5 V), will surpress quantization - which really just stops the input analysis.

Hope that helps.
rjungemann
To add to what darwingrosse said, you could modify the quantNote method in the AC02_Quantizer sketch to quantize to any scale you care to write an array for.

Code:
int quantNote(int v)
{
  int tempVal = v >> 4;  // decrease the value to 0-64 - ~ a 5 volt range

// ... add additional munging to tempVal here, maybe keep a lookup array
  // of values and snap to the nearest value in the array. tempVal should be
  // in semitones at this point

tempVal += transpose;  // add the transposition
  return (tempVal << 2); // increase it to the full 8-bit range
}

Once I loaded the dual clock divider sketch (AC05_ClockDivide) I haven't loaded anything else, it's been great for making simple bass drum + snare patterns. I am gonna try one of the LFO/envelope patches, I don't have enough envelope generators in my rig unfortunately.
dalasv
What do >> and << do? I only know a little JavaScript.
fac
ignatius wrote:
so, loading RY30 samples.. seems like only a matter of time until someone makes a basic wavetable type of LFO or oscillator

I already made an FM oscillator, which implements a carrier/modulator pair of sine-wave oscillators. The sine waveform is stored in a wavetable, and it would be relatively simple to come up with a saw or square wave.

I think I could easily do a wavetable oscillator that interpolates/morphs between two waveforms (e.g., sine/saw or triangle/square). I could also make a wavetable-based oscillator with several waveforms, but switching waveforms may cause a brief artifact in the output due to flash-to-RAM transfer. The problem is that the amount of RAM in the Arduino is very small (~2 Kb) so only one or two waveforms can be stored at a time.
J
dalasv wrote:

i've found this useful - Reference
fac
dalasv wrote:

They're binary shift operators. They shift a binary number a given number of positions to the left (<<) or to the right (>>). These are commonly used to perform fast integer multiplications and divisions by powers of 2.

For example, the number 40 is 101000 in binary. If you write

40 << 1

you will be shifting the number one position to the left, resulting in 1010000 in binary, or 80 in decimal (shifting to the left inserts zeros to the right).

Now, if you shift it one position to the right, using

40 >> 1

you will get the number 10100 in binary, which is 20 in decimal.

If you shift two positions to the left:

40 << 2

you will get 160 (40 * 2 * 2) - for each position you shift to the left, the number is multiplied by 2.

Likewise, for each position you shift to the right, the number is divided by two, so (40 >> 2) == 10.
dalasv
Hm, interesting. Thanks for the lesson! smile
FatRocky
any possibility of getting a silver front panel?

not trying to be offensive, it's just my personal preferences. This is a great module that i would buy for sure but i'm not too fond of extreme colors. I have yellow stuff , but this is a way too much for me , I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I like how my new Noize Swash and Atoner look in silver completely integrated with my system, it helps me feeling the system as one living creature. I just bought the new front panels from the website and replace them myself.

Great module by the way thumbs up
mckenic
FatRocky wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one.

thumbs up

Your not!
ignatius
mckenic wrote:
FatRocky wrote:

thumbs up

Your not!

one or both of you should buy one anyways.. and then decide you don't like it and sell it to me used at discount razz
mckenic
razz

Im actually thinking, I could get some cardboard and make an 'overlay'!

hihi
FatRocky
ignatius wrote:
mckenic wrote:
FatRocky wrote:

thumbs up

Your not!

one or both of you should buy one anyways.. and then decide you don't like it and sell it to me used at discount razz

you think it's too expensive to buy it brand new? (because I don't think it is really for what it is)

well if you do then there is another reason to make plain silver and pay a bit less.

by the way , i don't have to decide if i like it or not , I already can tell you it's an amazing module because of the very well explained videos on it's sketches. I just have to figure out how to get rid of that cheerful front panel and i'll buy it and keep it for sure.
thumbs up
ignatius
FatRocky wrote:
ignatius wrote:
mckenic wrote:
FatRocky wrote:

thumbs up

Your not!

you think it's too expensive to buy it brand new? (because I don't think it is really for what it is)

oh not at all.. i'm sure it's worth it but if i can buy one used and save a few $$$ then why not. i think i'll get one sooner or later... used or not.

mckenic wrote:
Im actually thinking, I could get some cardboard and make an 'overlay'!

you could just take the panel off and turn it around
Matos
Well, it's actually purple all over. Never saw a panel
Ike that before, but it sure is classy.
dykehouse
Just placed an order for two and I am very excited!
coyotedad23
Just curious if anyone has made a program which would allow the ardcore to create phonomes or similar talking synth sounds? I did not see anything like that on the ardino page.
ignatius
coyotedad23 wrote:
Just curious if anyone has made a program which would allow the ardcore to create phonomes or similar talking synth sounds? I did not see anything like that on the ardino page.

if you look on the previous page i asked about a wavetable sketch and there is some explanation as to how a couple waveforms might fit in the memory but not much else.

i'm sure the same applies to your query.. or at least it might shed light on the possibilities of something like a talking synth which would be a cool thing to have.

this thing is gonna blow up over time with all the good ideas people are throwing at it.
mckenic
I have this and its fuckin BRILLIANT! Need to add a knob to cycle thru crap and do other thingies with it yet... but the initial thing as WICKED!

https://sites.google.com/a/droidbuilder.com/www/home/SpeakJetShield

Not sure if it will play with Ardcore tho...

[EDIT] You might be better off with - http://www.analoguehaven.com/flame/talkingsynth/
lionelfischer
anyone know if this one is easier to use than the addac voltage controlled computer
rjungemann
The ADDAC VCC has more CV inputs and outputs.

VCC only has switches (8), Ardcore only has knobs (4).

The VCC can output a signal with 16-bit resolution (0-65535), whereas Ardcore can only output a max of 8-bit resolution.

The VCC is a little bit pricier.

The VCC is a little bit bigger.

I haven't totally figured out the use of modes on the VCC but the module may be more customizable? It has some sort of expansion port.

They both use the exact same software (Arduino) and from a coding perspective should be identical. Some patches may be directly compatible, but I imagine many will need numbers referencing I/O to be changed (easy change).

Edit: For me it's damn near evenly matched. I personally like that the Ardcore is a little smaller and I like its looks. It's not as purple in person as you'd think :¬)
Vcoadsr
I'm just wondering if a new section should be made explicitly for this module and coding requests, sharing ideas, etc?

Personally knowing you can go to a specific section and search for different sketches either you want to write or see what's new would be great.

As a non-programmer but very willing to learn I think this would be a winner.

Just an idea.
ignatius
so how are you all getting along with your ardcores?
mudlogger
I like it a lot for CV generation.

Its actually given me a chance to checkout stuff i hadn't considered buying as individual modules - gate / trigger delays, comparators, slope detectors. The quantizer sketch is brilliant for trills.

Would like a min/max sketch.

For audio - no - not my thing - its too lo-fi for me - good if you like digital clipping / bit crunching / waveshaping. Although theres quite a nice reverb / delay in there.

CV generation is were it excels
ignatius
mudlogger wrote:

For audio - no - not my thing - its too lo-fi for me - good if you like digital clipping / bit crunching / waveshaping. Although theres quite a nice reverb / delay in there.

CV generation is were it excels

hmm.. interesting. a nice reverb but everything else is lo-fi (so far)

is that pretty much the rep on that DSP chip/converter pair? real time DSP is asking too much for certain things? but then there's a good reverb? did someone just get lucky w/an algorithm?

i'm planning an ecophon in the future and now and then i ponder a 2nd ZDSP but the ardcore's instant gratification is hard to pass up so it may win out over a 2nd ZDSP in the long term.. sadly, i can't get them all in pairs Dead Banana
pas
I don't have an ardcore yet (next week!) but I imagine it rather than a 2nd zdsp is a wise choice, it's what I've planned. Lo-fi or not the sheer amount of programs upon delivery is amazing & it seems like new shit is pouring in regularly, I think we're bound to get nice effects atop the cv generators. I enjoy my zdsp immensely, but waiting on official cards & then when one finally arrives & it's $85, idk, feels a bit disheartening. Ardcore is a win & I haven't even one to hold yet.
ignatius
pas wrote:
I don't have an ardcore yet (next week!) but I imagine it rather than a 2nd zdsp is a wise choice, it's what I've planned. Lo-fi or not the sheer amount of programs upon delivery is amazing & it seems like new shit is pouring in regularly, I think we're bound to get nice effects atop the cv generators. I enjoy my zdsp immensely, but waiting on official cards & then when one finally arrives & it's $85, idk, feels a bit disheartening. Ardcore is a win & I haven't even one to hold yet.

yeah.. that's pretty much my thoughts right now but i do love cycling through programs in the ZDSP. it'd be nice to have that going on.. twice in a patch.

i'm hopeful more FX sketches show up in the ardcore.. that's mostly what gets me excited though i think there is TONS of useful stuff already there. certainly the instant gratification and already large sketch library is a huge plus considering there are no cards needed or extra set up to cables etc to program/burn cards.

so, yeah.. i'm just thinking out loud and throwing coins in the wishing well..
mudlogger
I think the DSP / 8bit DAC isn't powerful enough for serious hi-fi audio work.

If your looking for a hi-fi audio effects processor i'd look elsewhere - i'd say its more for experimental types - maybe that will change as new people start coding for it.

Don't let that put you off though - its a gamechanger.

Its made of win because its open source - i'd compare to the monome of modulars.
It can be whatever you want it to be.

Comparing this to say the Phonogene / Echophon - looks like Makenoise owns the hardware + the code.
The DSP is much more powerful for audio work and its a closed shop.
If Makenoise made their DSP open source via Max/MSP - now that would be really something.

If your looking for CV generation, the Ardcore - is superb, highly recommended - its like having a VST in modular world - just load up what you like depending on the tune your working on.
It does stuff similar to Max/MSP in generating complex CV's that's very tricky to do normally on a modular.
ignatius
@mudlogger - thanks for the info. i'm definitely looking for experimental stuff.. weird stuff.. so ardcore is sounding a good fit.
numan7
(as pointed out in the sketch notes and maybe elsewhere) you can achieve some degree of smoothing, particularly in lfo sketches for example, by patching the ardcore's dac to a slew generator (like maths, vcs and so on...).

i haven't tried slew with an audio-rate vco ardcore sketch yet. but i should soon. i imagine it should be effective for as high a frequency range as Maths can go as an oscillator in cycle-mode..... screaming goo yo

cheers
dykehouse
Received 2 of these last Saturday and spent the entire weekend playing with them. Had a blast!!! These are CV swiss army knifes of the highest order but I wouldn't buy these primarily for audio duties, although FAC's sketches are REALLY nice. I could see this module being a real asset in small setups and I am glad I sprung for two. I just can't seem to load the Euclidean sketch...any ideas?
studiokpg
I agree, audio isn't its strong suit, unless you are looking for bitcrushing/grunge. But for CV, it is awesome. My favorite sketches so far are Darwin's original ones. At least they are well commented! If you write a sketch, please put in some comments so other people can tell what is going on. Soapbox It also helps you, when you come back to it weeks later and have no idea what you were trying to do!
I love the way mine looks with its purple USB cable:
amnesia
studiokpg wrote:
My favorite sketches so far are Darwin's original ones. [/img]

never mind
loss1234
hey guys

just dropping in to let people know that a first draft MANUAL is up on the snazzyfx site.

http://snazzyfx.com/REV_1_SNAZZY_FX_ARDCORE_MANUAL.pdf

please take a look at it, let me know what you want added to it, etc.

I think we should get an Ardcore sub-forum going but I am not sure how to get that started. That way people could trade code ideas, ask questions, etc.

ALSO....if there are programs you want commented, just let me know which program you want commented and I can work on it.

also I still have some Ardcores here for direct sale for people who like to deal directly

thanks!
amnesia
Thanks Dan! Great idea about the Snazzy forum, ask Muff or Sandy they are nice guys.
amnesia
Actually something that I would love to see built for the modular is the SSPAT in AudioMulch.
Entrainer
Nice. I think I read a draft of the manual yesterday off the AH page.
There is a piece of information not included and I'm curious to the
answer.

Does the Ardcore save the most recent program at power down?
Meaning, will it boot up with the last program ready to run or does it
require reloading?

Makes a difference if you are walking out the door with a live rig
and no computer.

THX-
HueMonContact
amnesia wrote:
Actually something that I would love to see built for the modular is the SSPAT in AudioMulch.

Yeah... what he said!!!

That's one of my favorite AudioMulch features!
amnesia
Entrainer wrote:

THX-

yes :-)
mckenic
Entrainer wrote:
Nice. I think I read a draft of the manual yesterday off the AH page.
There is a piece of information not included and I'm curious to the
answer.

Meaning, will it boot up with the last program ready to run or does it
require reloading?

Makes a difference if you are walking out the door with a live rig
and no computer.

THX-

I could be speaking out my butt here and Im sure someone with actual knowledge will correct me - but I believe so! If its based on the Arduino platform, thankfully Arduino boots into the last programme uploaded on each power-up! Woo Hoo!
loss1234
it certainly does save it!
Entrainer
Great, thanks-
MainDrag Modular
Went out to Dan's labor-a-tory and picked up a few Ardcores and Dreamboats today - both are out powered up in the display case if anyone in the NYC area wants to try them out in the flesh. w00t

I need to load something for demo - and suggestions? Dan showed me the incredible drum program - any other favorites?
Stab Frenzy
HueMonContact wrote:
amnesia wrote:

Yeah... what he said!!!

That's one of my favorite AudioMulch features!

I had a look at that as I've got a DIY Arduino module, to see if it was anything I could code up with it. It's not something you could do with an Ardcore, I don't know the ZDSP that well but that would be more likely to be able to do it, at least the heavy lifting of the spatialisation and reverb, not sure about the path over time component.

Ardcore only has one analogue output, to make SSPAT you'd need at least 4 analogue outputs and 4 VCAs, and even then you wouldn't have the doppler phase shift. Inputting a path would be an issue as well, although if you could record an X and Y input voltage over time (or input n X/Y pairs and have the software extrapolate a path using them) it would be interesting.

Thinking about it more I think a Flame C3 knob recorder and Z-DSP with spatialisation code written for it would be the way to do this. Sorry for the off-topic thinking out loud everyone. Guinness ftw!
loss1234
OK PEOPLES....In response to some people mentioning lack of comments, I have decided to start going through all of my sketches one by one and looking for programs that need comments (at least notation of where to plug stuff in, etc)

SO...to start with, because I think the 8-bit delays have their place (especially when mixed in with the dry signal using a mixer, or with filtering) I added to, modified and commented on the ENTIRE delay folder (this is under SNAZZYFX/EXPERIMENTAL AUDIO/DELAY SKETCHES in the github SNAZZY FX folder) (see manual for link)

anyway, now all of these delays and or modulator sketches tell you WHICH input to use (and by the way since we are plugging in LOUD synth modules its always good to start by turning this knob down real, real low) and which knobs do what. a few of the sketches have knobs that interact in mysterious ways.

i might put up a video of some of these delays again...if you listen to the audio on the previous youtube delay sketch videos, i think the delays sound pretty good....they are just really full of crunch. of course without comments i am sure they were just a waste of time

sorry bout that....i spent so much time writing the programs and getting them together that I breezed past commenting.

I will get it done...ALSO PLEASE REMEMBER....a lot of these sketches are meant to show the way to what things are possible...I happen to really like the CRAZY NOISY stuff the ARDCORE can do....and i wanted people to know it can do it

alright...goodnight
Matos
loss1234
Thanks for doing that!
studiokpg
Thanks Dan! And thanks for bringing the Ardcore to euro. When I first saw Darwin's announcement, I was really excited because I was doing some Arduino work too. But then it didn't look like his board would fit for euro, and I was like, oh man, I hope someone will redo this for Euro. And here you are! So, thanks for making a big contribution to euroland! we're not worthy
Leoespejo
Excuse if this is a stupid question, but i was thinking: as Ardcore is arduino based, and Max/MSP is arduino compatible are Arcore and Max/MSP compatibles.....

I'm not thinking about uploading Max patches to the Ardcore but maybe control it or whatever, really i'm not thinking anything in concrete but it'd be a great, great feature..... or not? hmmm.....
loss1234
You can control max using some of the pre-made
arduino libraries...this was mentioned earlier in the thread.Thanks
ben jah men
what are some must have modules for a small case featuring one of these bad boys seriously, i just don't get it

I've got about 65 hp to fill and $800.. was planning on jumping on makenoise dpo.. but it seems a little rich for my blood.
loss1234
the Ardcore needs a VCA, A filter, etc. If you have two Ardcores, you can cover, lfos, weird sound generation, drums, envelopes, step sequencing, quantizing, and a whole lot more, BUT you wont be able to FILTER , you wont have a mixer, or a VCA< etc

you could theoretically do a setup (I have run one like this many times) with a few Ardcores, a good filter, a good VCA, a mixer, and a VCO of your choice.

and then of course many patches need a clock source...so an Lfo, or a 4ms Rotating Clock Divider make a lot of sense.....of course, the Ardcore works very well in an case with you can DEDICATE the Ardcore to whatever programs you want.

anyway...good luck!!
loss1234
A NEW ARDCORE VIDEO....this video uses a few Ardcores and A few Dreamboats to create unpredictable drum sounds and shifts in pitch

there are also 2 Ardcores being used to explore the 8 bit'delay/time modulation effects written for the Ardcore....I try to show how these lo-fi effects can be used to create good sounding textures by mixing them in with the DRY signals....on their own they sound very gritty but mixed in, they can really add a lot of movement to a patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9DywQ3rDJ0&list=UUvk7pnJWxnHJjlJQSvdTu FQ&index=1&feature=plcp

thanks!
MainDrag Modular
loss1234 wrote:
A NEW ARDCORE VIDEO....this video uses a few Ardcores and A few Dreamboats to create unpredictable drum sounds and shifts in pitch

there are also 2 Ardcores being used to explore the 8 bit'delay/time modulation effects written for the Ardcore....I try to show how these lo-fi effects can be used to create good sounding textures by mixing them in with the DRY signals....on their own they sound very gritty but mixed in, they can really add a lot of movement to a patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9DywQ3rDJ0&list=UUvk7pnJWxnHJjlJQSvdTu FQ&index=1&feature=plcp

thanks!

Tried this combo today - can't say enough how amazing this module is thumbs up
loss1234
So now I am spending a bunch of time trying
To see what crazy audio things the ardcore can do
With the programs i wrote.

I got a nice flanger using nothing but one of
The delay programs, a cv source controlling its
Delay time, and a dry version of the source both
Fed into a mixer

Its fun to flange using the levels on a mixer!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c0zh9L_N-Y

Try it!
studiokpg
Very nice. Hmmmm, I wonder if it can do Karplus?
loss1234
i actually was playing around with another sketch which did very rudimentary karplus stuff....i DID NOT include it in the Ardcore programs as it was to unruly and did not do much other than make a "BOING" karplus kind of tone over and over

i think a lot of things are possible, even with 8 bit. I however am not the guy to do it. I can only imagine what someone with REALLY GOOD skills and a CAN_DO attitude, and a love of 8 bit noise could do.....especially with a low pass filter AFTER the ardcore or a slew....

those BYTE BIT programs are a good example...you take a short string of variables and you get out these strings of notes....harmonies, etc

I had to sort of say STOP at some point with the ARDCORE programs because every day I was inspired to make something ELSE...well I think now its time to see what fun things other people bring in as user programs

anyone have any user programs yet? any weird hacks?
studiokpg
I tweeked Darwin's shaped LFO sketch for VC:

Where should I put the sketch? Maybe we should have a subforum, or maybe a sticky for sketches only?
I'll post it here for now:

// ============================================================
//
// Program: ArdCore VC LFO
//
// Modified by Karl Gruenewald, based on Shaped LFO AC19 by Darwin
// Knobs and input refer to Snazzy FX Ardcore version
//
// Description: Based on the speed of the LFO and a "warp"
// setting, create a triangle-ish waveform out
// the 8-bit output
//
// I/O Usage:
// Knob A0: Frequency offset
// Knob A1: Output range
// Analog In A2: LFO rate, attenuated by knob A2
// Analog In A3: LFO shape, attenuated by knob A3
// Digital Out 1: trigger at negative transition
// Digital Out 2: trigger at positive transition
// Clock In: gate at Clock In holds current output value
// Analog Out: 8-bit output
//
// Input Expander: unused
// Output Expander: 8 bits of output exposed
//
// Created: 12 Feb 2011
// Modified: 18 Mar 2011 - ddg Complete rewrite of output
// Added trigger outputs
// 17 Apr 2012 ddg Updated for Arduino 1.0
// 18 Apr 2012 ddg Changed dacOutput routine to Alba version
//
// 18 Jun 2012 kpg modified for VC
//
// ============================================================
//
// License:
//
// This software is licensed under the Creative Commons
// "Attribution-NonCommercial license. This license allows you
// to tweak and build upon the code for non-commercial purposes,
// without the requirement to license derivative works on the
// same terms. If you wish to use this (or derived) work for
// commercial work, please contact 20 Objects LLC at our website
// (www.20objects.com).
//
// For more information on the Creative Commons CC BY-NC license,
// visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
//
// ================= start of global section ==================

// constants related to the Arduino Nano pin use
const int clkIn = 2; // the digital (clock) input
const int digPin[2] = {3, 4}; // the digital output pins
const int pinOffset = 5; // the first DAC pin (from 5-12)
const int trigTime = 60; // ms for trigger time

// variables for interrupt handling of the clock input
volatile int clkState = LOW;

// variables used to control the current DIO output states
int digState[2] = {LOW, LOW}; // start with both set low
unsigned long digMilli[2] = {0,0}; // last trigger time

// variables used for clocking and stepwise movement
unsigned long lastMillis = 0; // stored last millis test
float upStep = 1.0; // value update per millisecond (up)
float downStep = 1.0; // value update per millisecond (down)
float currValue = 0.0; // the current LFO value
int currDir = 1; // 1 for up, 0 for down

float outputScale;

// ==================== start of setup() ======================

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);

// set up the digital (clock) input
pinMode(clkIn, INPUT);

// set up the digital outputs
for (int i=0; i<2; i++) {
pinMode(digPin[i], OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(digPin[i], LOW);
}

// set up the 8-bit DAC output pins
for (int i=0; i<8; i++) {
pinMode(pinOffset+i, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(pinOffset+i, LOW);
}

// Note: Interrupt 0 is for pin 2 (clkIn)
attachInterrupt(0, clockInt, RISING);

getUpdateValue();
}

// ==================== start of loop() =======================

void loop()
{
//if (!digitalRead(clkIn)) clkState = 0;
// do an output
outputScale = (analogRead(1))/1023.0;
float lastValue = currValue;
unsigned long currMillis = millis();
int timediff = currMillis - lastMillis;

if (currValue > 255.0) {
currDir = 0;
} else {
currDir = 1;
}

if (currDir) {
currValue = currValue + (timediff * upStep);
} else {
currValue = currValue + (timediff * downStep);
}

while (currValue > 511.0) {
currValue -= 511.0;
}
if (!clkState) {
if (currValue <= 255.0) {
dacOutput(int(currValue));
}
else {
dacOutput(int(511.0 - currValue));
}
}
else if (!digitalRead(clkIn)){
clkState = 0;
}
lastMillis = currMillis;

// check for digital pin firing
if ((lastValue <= 255.) && (currValue > 255.)) {
digState[0] = HIGH;
digitalWrite(digPin[0], HIGH);
digMilli[0] = currMillis;
}

if (lastValue > currValue) {
digState[1] = HIGH;
digitalWrite(digPin[1], HIGH);
digMilli[1] = currMillis;
}

// check for pin turn-off
for (int i=0; i<2; i++) {
if ((digState[i] == HIGH) && (currMillis - digMilli[i] > trigTime)) {
digState[i] = LOW;
digitalWrite(digPin[i], LOW);
}
}

// check for new values
getUpdateValue();
}

void getUpdateValue()
{
float freqOffset = (map(analogRead(0), 0, 1023, 70, 1)/10.0);
float msPerCycle = ((1023 - analogRead(2)) + 20) * 3.0 * freqOffset;
float warpFactor = ((analogRead(3) >> 4) + 1) / 65.0;
float oneOver = 1.0 - warpFactor;
upStep = 255.0 / (msPerCycle * warpFactor);
downStep = 255.0 / (msPerCycle * oneOver);
}

// =================== convenience routines ===================

// clockInt() - quickly handle interrupts from the clock input
// ------------------------------------------------------
void clockInt()
{
clkState = HIGH;
}

// dacOutput(byte) - deal with the DAC output
// -----------------------------------------
void dacOutput(byte v)
{
v = v * outputScale;
PORTB = (PORTB & B11100000) | (v >> 3);
PORTD = (PORTD & B00011111) | ((v & B00000111) << 5);
}

// ===================== end of program =======================
studiokpg
fac wrote:

I'm in the process of making a simple program where the user can load the eight samples, and the program will automatically generate a new drum sampler sketch with those sounds, but with my current workload it will take me a couple of weeks to finish.

How is this going? Is there somewhere I can download a sketch with the drum samples? Am I totally ignorant? zombie
fac
studiokpg wrote:
fac wrote:

I'm in the process of making a simple program where the user can load the eight samples, and the program will automatically generate a new drum sampler sketch with those sounds, but with my current workload it will take me a couple of weeks to finish.

How is this going? Is there somewhere I can download a sketch with the drum samples? Am I totally ignorant? zombie

The program's ready and released, although Windows-only. It should be available in the github site:

https://github.com/darwingrosse/ArdCore-Code
darwingrosse
studiokpg wrote:
I tweeked Darwin's shaped LFO sketch for VC...

Where should I put the sketch? Maybe we should have a subforum, or maybe a sticky for sketches only?

I PM'd Muff about the possibility of a subforum, but no reply yet. If you want to put things into the repository, you can PM me to start the conversation - I can set you up as a contributor and you can push them into the Github repos yourself.

Otherwise, you can just give me the go-ahead and I can post it. I use the Shaped LFO sketch all the time, and am really looking forward to trying out your variation.
matttech
hi there

just been looking at this module, and it’s definitely intriguing!

the thing that i don’t get is this:

how do you know what knob is doing what? i just imagine that, with it being able to do loads of different things, it must get really confusing trying to remember what the controls do. or is this a non-issue? seriously, i just don't get it

anyone out there playing with one - how do you work with it? do you have to write down the functions, or is there some way of seeing what they are doing via the connected computer? (not that this would be any use to me, as i’ve only got a Mac, and i think i’m right in thinking that it’s PC-only....correct?)

also - those of you with one of these in your rack - do you actually end up using it a lot, and swapping out sketches loads, or do you find that it just seems too much of a ballache, and it just sits there in your rack doing nothing!! (this isn’t meant as a slight to it....i’m just curious as to how it fits into folks’ workflows, and whether it gets a lot of use or not)

any clarification welcome!
Matos
I usually load up something that works in context of the patch I'm working on. It's not that hard to remember what's going on as there is a lot of overlap in function in certain patches. Many have the knobs described in the sketch so you can refer to it as you load it. I'll usually go through a few sketches till something gels, then I leave that loaded until I tear it all down. You find a group of sketches that really speak to you and end up cycling through those as needed. It works fine on Mac, just not the drum loading program, as it's a separate program. Just load the ardiuno software, launch, and your golden. Takes literally just a few seconds to transfer. If you have a USB hub, keep a spare plugged in, and just connect to the ardcore when needed.
darwingrosse
studiokpg wrote:
I tweeked Darwin's shaped LFO sketch for VC:

Per a PM from kpg, I've posted this sketch to the Github repository in a new "User Submitted" folder. This is a great example of a modification to the original sketch that makes the whole thing better. THANKS!!!
darwingrosse
matttech wrote:

how do you know what knob is doing what? i just imagine that, with it being able to do loads of different things, it must get really confusing trying to remember what the controls do. or is this a non-issue? seriously, i just don't get it

anyone out there playing with one - how do you work with it? do you have to write down the functions, or is there some way of seeing what they are doing via the connected computer? (not that this would be any use to me, as i’ve only got a Mac, and i think i’m right in thinking that it’s PC-only....correct?)

also - those of you with one of these in your rack - do you actually end up using it a lot, and swapping out sketches loads, or do you find that it just seems too much of a ballache, and it just sits there in your rack doing nothing!! (this isn’t meant as a slight to it....i’m just curious as to how it fits into folks’ workflows, and whether it gets a lot of use or not)

I can just talk about how I use it...

It can be difficult to remember what each knob does if you are switching out sketches all the time. However, I often use one sketch for a long time on a module (I have several ArdCores...), so I tend to remember what those do. For one-shot uses or performance, I'll sometimes use a label maker to make reminders; that way, I can deal with it when I'm sweating bullets...

The sketches (at least the ones I've made) have a comment at the top of the code so that you can see what all the controls do. But something to remember is that the computer only has to be connected to "blow" the code from the computer to the module - once the code is in the ArdCore, you no longer have to have the computer attached. Also, the code is reloaded when you repower the synth, so you can conceivably connect the computer once, blow in a cool sketch, then never attach the computer again! I think a lot of people see a USB port and assume that you will have to be tethered any time you use it.

How often do I use it? Probably in every patch, but of course I would say that...! I have three ArdCores in my system, and two of them have permanently loaded sketches (one is the shaped LFO, whose trigger outputs also act as a "swing" function, while the other is a custom-written quantizer that gives me access to a couple of different scales with a twist of a knob). The third is used for patch-specific loading: sometimes I'll be using the VC envelope, sometimes the Trigger Multiplier, and sometimes the Drunken Walk or Voltage Follower. You can see from SnazzyFX's videos that Dan often has the drum sampler and a bit crusher permanently loaded in a pair of ArdCores. In both of our cases, the fact that the sketch can be loaded and left in a module means that the module becomes a significant part of our patching.

The only thing that is Windows-specific is fac's drum sketch creator. Everything else uses the Arduino developer/loader software, which is available for Windows, Mac, Linux (and probably other systems). I'm really Mac focused myself, and have never had a problem...

Hopefully this helps clear up some of your questions.
mudlogger
matttech wrote:
hi there

just been looking at this module, and it’s definitely intriguing!

When you load the sketches up - the info as a the top of the code - so you can read it from your computer. You don't need to be connected to the module to read the code. No - its not PC only - I'm on a Mac and it works fine. Its really quick to upload to the module - a couple of seconds. And it holds it in memory on powerdown. For me - i find a sketch i like (like the quantizer) and keep it a few days for a tune. After that i'll load up something else - a comparator or random or ASDR then try something with that. I'd say the Ardcore is ideal for a smallish setup. Looking at your setup - as you have the WORLD in that room! I'd look carefully at the sketches - i think you have 90% of them in modules. Having said that - it does things with CV that a modular can't do - think Max/MSP type stuff. Its a CV monster. If you like fiddling with code as opposed to soldering wires - then its tops.

Edit - Darwin beat me to it!
Nesto
Hi guys-
I am severely intimidated by words like, "code" and "compile",
and my common sense leaves me.
I bet it is a really simple answer- and here is my question:

When I go to verify a sketch for the ardcore, on 90% of them I get an
error which says, " stray '\' in program ", and I can get no further.

I was all excited and Rasta-nana sat down in front of my modular like I was 8 and about to watch cartoons!
Help me please
Nesto
Actually, I cannot get ANY of the .INO sketches I downloaded to verify/compile.

I have just been enjoying FAC drum oops
SamUK
Nesto wrote:
Actually, I cannot get ANY of the .INO sketches I downloaded to verify/compile.

I have just been enjoying FAC drum oops

Click this link https://github.com/darwingrosse/ArdCore-Code/zipball/master and you should get a zip file to download with all the .INO sketches in the proper format.
Nesto
Crazy! So it was some kind of a download error?
Because all of these from the link work just fine-

Can you explain why?

And thankyou SamUK!!! SlayerBadger!
SamUK
Nesto wrote:
Can you explain why?

It looks like you downloaded the html page (i.e. the web page) instead of the source code, if you compare the correct version and the html code you accidentally downloaded you can see that they are very very different!
dalasv
SamUK wrote:
Nesto wrote:
Can you explain why?

It looks like you downloaded the html page (i.e. the web page) instead of the source code, if you compare the correct version and the html code you accidentally downloaded you can see that they are very very different!

Rasta-nana Rasta-nana Rasta-nana
Nesto
Yep ... that would explain it.
I just KNEW that I was gonna feel like a
jackass. But honestly who knows how long
it would have been before I figured that out
oops
No more wheeeee! d for me, sage wigglers.
Thanks again
darwingrosse
Nesto wrote:
Yep ... that would explain it.
I just KNEW that I was gonna feel like a
jackass. But honestly who knows how long
it would have been before I figured that out
oops
No more wheeeee! d for me, sage wigglers.
Thanks again

Dude - no jackassery there. While I really appreciate the Github storage location and services, the download functions are really make for Six Sigma tri-focal types, and it can be a little tough to find the goods. I'm really glad you got 'em, and hope you have a blast!
Matos
I started this a long time ago, but stopped when other things demanded my attention. I'll do more if there is a need, but otherwise here's the first page notated.
rjungemann
Great work, Matos! Thanks for taking the time to make these!
dalasv
Seriously, this is even great for those of us who don't own the Ardcore, to know how things work on it.
Matos
My pleasure. I'll try to do another batch of these soon. w00t
Nesto
darwingrosse wrote:

Dude - no jackassery there. While I really appreciate the Github storage location and services, the download functions are really make for Six Sigma tri-focal types, and it can be a little tough to find the goods. I'm really glad you got 'em, and hope you have a blast!

Thanks, man.
my bruised wanna-be nerd ego didn't trouble me long!
The Ardcore took away the pain...
Today I am coming to terms with the idea of needing 2 Ardcore modules.
It will be my first pair.
It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
loss1234
wow those are awesome! mind if i add them to the manual?

by the way, if ANYONE has ANY trouble downloading stuff from GITHUB, just shoot me a PM or an email (its under contact on the snazzyfx.com page)

I am ALWAYS willing to just send people a zip file with every program.

I AM ALSO willing to help you find some of the cool programs you might not have ever noticed in the collection.

a few people were surprised yesterday at the control voltage faire to find that there is a basic granular ish oscillator included in the ardcore programs.

its called "ARDCORE_auduino_v5ab.ino"

i know its a moutful...one of the projects I have for the summer is to rename or modify the names and comments and folder structure for the SNAZZY FX programs...there are a TON of programs in there from the weird, glitchy, to the utilitarian/tutorial but they arent very well referenced.

WE STILL NEED A FORUM for the Ardcore. I havent heard back from anyone about getting a sub-forum here so if anyone has any ideas about where to make one, lets do it!
thanks
Matos
Go for it! I didn't realize there a granular synth either. Will wonders never cease. I'll do another set this weekend. w00t
amnesia
I didnt look in that folder thinking it wa just arduino stuff.
darwingrosse
Just wanted to post a note about some new sketches I uploaded over the weekend. We have:

AC27_101SEQ: This is an emulation of the SH101 sequencer, as specfied by Bryan Benting. Sequence data goes into the A2 input, and this data is recorded every time you get a clock input tick. Turn on recording by turning ON the A3 input, and the system will record the next 64 notes (or until you turn it off). Once that happens, clock inputs will play the recorded data.

A0 and A1 set sequence loop points (A0=start, A1=end), so you can record a bunch of information and use subsequences for the playback. An excellent sketch for playing live (I used it extensively during a recent live radio session).

AC28_RectifiedRingMod: Inspired by a recent support request, you use the A2 and A3 inputs as two inputs to be ring modulated. Since the inputs are automatically half-rectified, it adds some real crunch to the output.

AC29_VCADLoopEnvelope: This was inspired by working with the Malekko/Wiard Envelator. This is basically the same as AC25, but the D1 output is high whenever the envelope is done. Connect D1 to the clock input to get a looping AD envelope.

CP01_Compound01: A new kind of sketch; this is actually four sketches (VCADLoopEnvelope, Quantizer, RandomNote and SH101 Recorder) built into one. You choose which one is active using the A0 knob on startup. When the module is powered up, it checks the setting of A0, then will use that sketch until the next powerup.

Hope you get a chance to try these out, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or comments.
amnesia
wow thanks!
numan7
i should finally have my computer (where record and have arduino installed) back up and running again this week, and am greatly look forward to trying more sketches (thanks so much for the new ones btw, darwingrosse!)...

meh @matos -- those look grrrreat! have you tried printing them on mylar film (and then cutting spaces for the jacks and controls with a razor or something) to use as overlays for the module panels? that would rule! we're not worthy

cheers
mudlogger
darwingrosse - those new sketches look amazing. Thanks for posting.

Is it possible to modify the Stoichea code to run on Ardcore?

Would really like some polyrhthmic type stuff for Ardcore - dual gate generator.
amnesia
Where do we get these again?
bodo
mudlogger wrote:

Euclidean Sequencer Source Code

Yeah, someone port that one over to the Ardcore, that would be pretty sweet!
simulcast
amnesia wrote:

I've been getting all 20 Objects ardcore sketches from here - http://github.com/darwingrosse/ArdCore-Code/tree/master/20%20Objects
darwingrosse
mudlogger wrote:

Would really like some polyrhthmic type stuff for Ardcore - dual gate generator.

I'm not sure what the Stoichea code is, so you might have to clue me in...

hmmm.....

If you give me a sense of what you'd like out of a gate generator, I'm all ears. The SH-101 sequencer was the result of a user request, and I'm always into weird sequencing/gating ideas, so maybe that's a better starting point.
qu.one
@ darwingrosse: thank you so much for starting making these and working with dan to make the euro version. can't wait to try out the new sketches!
qu.one
darwingrosse wrote:
J....CP01_Compound01: A new kind of sketch; this is actually four sketches (VCADLoopEnvelope, Quantizer, RandomNote and SH101 Recorder) built into one. You choose which one is active using the A0 knob on startup. When the module is powered up, it checks the setting of A0, then will use that sketch until the next powerup...

WHOA!!!! Is there a way to do this with any 4 sketches?
darwingrosse
simulcast wrote:
amnesia wrote:

I've been getting all 20 Objects ardcore sketches from here - http://github.com/darwingrosse/ArdCore-Code/tree/master/20%20Objects

Yeah, that's the main - and "official" (if there is such a thing in this world...) - location for ArdCore source code. It's important to note that some of the sketches may require other freely downloadable libraries to do their dirt; if you have questions, either ask here or PM me.

Oh, and have fun!
darwingrosse
qu.one wrote:
darwingrosse wrote:
J....CP01_Compound01: A new kind of sketch; this is actually four sketches (VCADLoopEnvelope, Quantizer, RandomNote and SH101 Recorder) built into one. You choose which one is active using the A0 knob on startup. When the module is powered up, it checks the setting of A0, then will use that sketch until the next powerup...

Pretty much - you have to do a little coordinating, and some of the memory heavy sketches (like Snazzy's delay effects) might be a bit difficult. But it is possible.

I chose these four because a) they were good exercises for me, and b) these are the sketches I use for live performance.
lleb
Very cool. Definitely going to have to dissect your compound patch to understand how you can implement multiple sketches in one file.

Glad to see you added the ring mod that I inquired about as well 8_) hyper
qu.one
darwingrosse wrote:
qu.one wrote:
darwingrosse wrote:

Pretty much - you have to do a little coordinating, and some of the memory heavy sketches (like Snazzy's delay effects) might be a bit difficult. But it is possible.

I chose these four because a) they were good exercises for me, and b) these are the sketches I use for live performance.

awesome - i would swap the VCADLE for the Arpeggiator and I'm golden. I'll try and see if I can figure it out. never tried to tinker with the code before!
darwingrosse
lleb wrote:
Very cool. Definitely going to have to dissect your compound patch to understand how you can implement multiple sketches in one file.

Glad to see you added the ring mod that I inquired about as well 8_) hyper

Yeah; I didn't have a built-in oscillator, but with two external sources it can get pretty hyper.
darwingrosse
qu.one wrote:
darwingrosse wrote:
qu.one wrote:
darwingrosse wrote:

awesome - i would swap the VCADLE for the Arpeggiator and I'm golden. I'll try and see if I can figure it out. never tried to tinker with the code before!

Cool - if you have problems, let me know and I'll be glad to help out. Perhaps this could even become the "official" Compound02 sketch or something!
mudlogger
darwingrosse wrote:
mudlogger wrote:

hmmm.....

If you give me a sense of what you'd like out of a gate generator, I'm all ears. The SH-101 sequencer was the result of a user request, and I'm always into weird sequencing/gating ideas, so maybe that's a better starting point.

Hi Darwin - i would really like a euclidian sequencer - the Stoicheia is a 16 step euclidean sequencer - 2 trigger outs. I know there was a max patch euclidean sequencer made also..

www.rebeltech.org/modules/stoicheia
darwingrosse
mudlogger wrote:
darwingrosse wrote:
mudlogger wrote:

hmmm.....

Hi Darwin - i would really like a euclidian sequencer - the Stoicheia is a 16 step euclidean sequencer - 2 trigger outs. I know there was a max patch euclidean sequencer made also..

www.rebeltech.org/modules/stoicheia

OK - I'm on it. I got Toussaint's paper right here, and will start to decode it. I'm gonna get the theory before I start digging through people's code, and I want to be sensitive to people who would prefer me to not copy their work.

But I can already (just from diagram) see why this is interesting.
qu.one
Got it going and it wasn't bad at all. I named it CP02_Compound02 for the time being. This is just so awesome for when you DON'T have a computer with you.

for those that want the compound i made which is:

// Sketch numbers:
// 0: Arpeggiator
// 1: Quantizer
// 2: DrunkenNote
// 3: SH101-Recorder

you can DL here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1994658/CP02_Compound02.zip
darwingrosse
darwingrosse wrote:

OK - I'm on it. I got Toussaint's paper right here, and will start to decode it. I'm gonna get the theory before I start digging through people's code, and I want to be sensitive to people who would prefer me to not copy their work.

Question for those wanting a dual Euclidian Trigger Generator:

Given that we have four setting knobs/inputs, what would you want to control?

Option A:
A0: Steps for rhythm A
A1: Steps for rhythm B
A2: Pulses for rhythm A
A3: Pulses for rhythm B

Option B:
A0: Steps for both rhythms
A1: Rotation (offset) for rhythm B

The first option gives more polyrhythmic control, while the second give variations through rhythm rotation. Really makes me wish we had one more input...

cry

Help me make a decision, please...!!!
mudlogger
darwingrosse wrote:
darwingrosse wrote:

Question for those wanting a dual Euclidian Trigger Generator:

Given that we have four setting knobs/inputs, what would you want to control?

Option A:

Option B:

The first option gives more polyrhythmic control, while the second give variations through rhythm rotation. Really makes me wish we had one more input...

cry

Option A - the more polyrhythmic control the better.
Matos
I'm greedy and I want both since I have 2 ardcores! w00t
But I like the sound of choice aa bit more.
M6live
Redacted.
darwingrosse
[quote="darwingrosse"]
darwingrosse wrote:

Option A:

OK - option A it is. I've not tested this thoroughly, but you can check out a working example at the following link:

DualEuclidSeq

It depends on input into the clock in; beyond that, it is golden. Both the "steps" and "pulses" settings are from 1-32; it's a little uncontrollable, but a lot more interesting that limiting it to 16 step maximum.

Pulses are 25ms long at the moment, but that makes the LEDs nice and bright. The analog output echoes the clock input, so it saves you a multiple (maybe).

I've not yet cleared my modified use of a version of Robin Price's Euclidean array calculation; I'm going to ping him tomorrow. Assuming that he's OK with it, and that I (and you) don't find any serious bugs, it'll head toward the Github shortly.
darwingrosse
M6live wrote:
how could this be compared to z-dsp??

I truly have no idea, but the ArdCore doesn't do DSP - it does Arduino. Limited work in the audio domain, but it is a hell of a CV and pulse generator!
amnesia
seems to work really well. Thanks you GOD!
bodo
Thank you so much for this! Saves me a lot of programming headaches!
This was one of the main reasons I wanted an Ardcore, to have access to all kinds of rhythmic interesting goodies, thanks for sharing!

EDIT: works like a charm! Having a lot of fun wih it! thumbs up
Neo
[quote="darwingrosse"]
darwingrosse wrote:

Option A:

Option B:

cry

Option A please!

I've been thinking about writing this myself, and downloaded Godfried Toussaint's paper earlier today.

edit: ok, wow that was quick
mudlogger
@darwingrosse - Good Lordy - Fantastic!

Thankyou so much for this.
zombieFredrik
SORRY GEEKPOST POW!
Nice! I did some research on beat distribution a while back. I just compared the Robin Price implementation to my own and this is what I got. Just for discussion on generated beats and so on, what do you think?

(32 lenght and 1 -> 32 beats) MY = mine and EU = the one in the code above (without rotation).

http://pastebin.com/2JDLPT7A

And with 17 as length (note missing beats)
http://pastebin.com/SqHnDtJL

If I didn't f**up in the porting of the c-code there is a notable difference. I think I just might try to implement my algo as an alternative.

As I said - would be nice to discuss the differences!
studiokpg
Loving the SH101 seq Darwin! Thanks!
darwingrosse
zombieFredrik wrote:
SORRY GEEKPOST POW!
Nice! I did some research on beat distribution a while back. I just compared the Robin Price implementation to my own and this is what I got. Just for discussion on generated beats and so on, what do you think?

(32 lenght and 1 -> 32 beats) MY = mine and EU = the one in the code above (without rotation).

http://pastebin.com/2JDLPT7A

And with 17 as length (note missing beats)
http://pastebin.com/SqHnDtJL

If I didn't f**up in the porting of the c-code there is a notable difference. I think I just might try to implement my algo as an alternative.

As I said - would be nice to discuss the differences!

GREAT GEEKPOST!

Very interesting differences, in fact. There are several instances where your version is preferable to the Price implementation. If you get a chance to try implementing it, I would be really interested in the results.

The good thing is that the Price thing works, but sketch/algorithm improvement would be fantastic. Let me know if it works, and maybe we can see about making that the Real Deal.
darwingrosse
studiokpg wrote:
Loving the SH101 seq Darwin! Thanks!

Yeah, it's become a favorite - especially since it saves the sequence to EEPROM, so for gigging, I can have some favorite material close at hand.
zombieFredrik
Got something running now. Kind of sloppy in some areas. Will post code/sketch somewhere after some sleeping.
zombieFredrik
Posted code, some ideas and some other ideas about ardcore in general to darwingrosse. To be contiuned =>=>=>
soundwave106
I decided to try and play with writing a SnazzyFX Ardcore program last night. It initially was a program to take a CV and generate a directional ramp (upward or downward) when either a clock came in or the CV changed (for decay type sounds and drums.)

While it can still do this, it also ended up being an LFO / ramp hybrid, with controls for speed+direction, peak LFO threshold, reset, and rate multiplier.

(As a bonus, if you set the threshold and direction settings "wrong", the program will continuously flip-flop between the threshold and CV frequencies. Could be useful.)

A demo of the patch used with simple clocks, LFOs, and knob fiddling to feed pitch on a Livewire AFG:

Soundcloud link (not sure why the BBCode isn't working)

It's my first Ardcore programming attempt, so I welcome any advice. smile
darwingrosse
soundwave106 wrote:

It's my first Ardcore programming attempt, so I welcome any advice. smile

Man, that demo track is outrageous! Great work!

A few ideas with the code:

- You might want to comment out (or eliminate) the Serial.println's, since they will consume processing time for little purpose once you have a running example.

- Something I've been planning on doing is to change the knob/input descriptions at the top: the Knob/Input split was only useful for the 5U version of the ArdCore. Now that SnazzyFX has knobs on the two analog inputs, it is probably better to label them A0 through A3. I'm going to do that during a football game sometime in the near future, but it's something worth considering for new code like this.

But the code looks solid, and the result is fantastic, man. Thanks!

(Also, let me know via PM if it is OK to include this in the user-submitted sketch section of the repository.)
fiocz
Mine came today ! Great module indeed ! Can someone please help me find the arpeggiator sketch ?
darwingrosse
fiocz wrote:
Mine came today ! Great module indeed ! Can someone please help me find the arpeggiator sketch ?

You can find it here:

https://github.com/thedug/thedug_ardcore/tree/master/arp
fiocz
darwingrosse wrote:
fiocz wrote:

You can find it here:

https://github.com/thedug/thedug_ardcore/tree/master/arp

w00t Thanks !! w00t
fiocz
Ok,let me see if I understand this beast right.
Would it be possible to make it act as a double AD ? Something like this:

A0 Attack 1
A1 Decay 1
A2 Attack 2
A3 Decay 2
A2 inlet -trig 1
clock - trig 2
D0 -end of decay 1
D1 -end of decay 2

Am I just dreaming ?
loss1234
WOW

I hadnt checked this thread in a couple weeks (been super crazy busy getting the new modules done) AND I AM STUNNED by all the new activity!

compound modules....sh-101...wow!!!

this is awesome

just more proof of why we need to get an ARDCORE FORUM going somewhere!!!

i just dont know how we can get it setup.

by the way people...tell your friends about the Ardcore!!

it seems a lot of people are still "scared" of it.

I might also be coming out with a black and silver panel for those who are not into color....it seems there are some who are not buying it because of the color.

it brings a tear to my eye to see all the wonderful things people are doing with this module!

woo hoo
soundwave106
fiocz wrote:
Ok,let me see if I understand this beast right.
Would it be possible to make it act as a double AD ? Something like this:
A0 Attack 1
A1 Decay 1
A2 Attack 2
A3 Decay 2
A2 inlet -trig 1
clock - trig 2
D0 -end of decay 1
D1 -end of decay 2
Am I just dreaming ?

By double AD do you mean perform one AD envelope followed by the other? I can't see why not. Not sure what you mean by "A2 inlet" though, is that maybe a trigger to start Attack 2 if in the first env? The rest sounds easy to do by some decently simple mods of the VCAREnvelope program. (I'll give it a go if I get some time off coding real life C# schtuff.)

Oh, the other thing to consider is that two stages will be CV modifiable (the two bottom knobs), and two will be fixed (the two top knobs). For what it's worth.
mudlogger
loss1234 wrote:

I might also be coming out with a black and silver panel for those who are not into color....it seems there are some who are not buying it because of the color.

I'd be interested in a black and silver panel - i agree - i think people are not buying it because of the colour/design. Maybe have a reversible panel?
FSK1138
thanks --you have no idea how much i needed this
loss1234
I just posted a video of Darwins wonderful new sequencer sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEwS0uXPiv8

as far as a black panel....I can get one designed and manufactured. probably sell them in a groupbuy. i guess i should see if people are interested!!

the NEW snazzy fx modules coming in a few weeks are black and silver
chisel316
Hi!

I just received my Ardcore in the mail today and I already coded up a Sample and Hold sketch that holds its own against my A148 S&H. Hope you can get some use out of it. Next, I plan to create an advanced Quantizer that supports chords and scales. Since this is my first sketch, I tried to follow the template as close as possible. Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Peace \/
chisel316
FSK1138
[b]chisel316[/b]

how about A196 PLL EMULATION

OR cv to midi A192 CVM16 EMULATION

or a mini maths !!!
chisel316
Here's a Scale Quantizer sketch. I programmed it from scratch, so it doesn't have all the extra features of the original Quantizer sketch. You can add that stuff back in if you want. I just needed something basic, but that covered different scales.

Use A0 knob to select your scale:

"Octaves"
,"Octaves and fifths"
,"Chromatic scale"
,"Major pentatonic scale"
,"Minor pentatonic scale"
,"Major scale"
,"Harmonic minor scale"
,"Melodic minor scale"

Input is on A2 and output is on DAC.

If you have the Serial Monitor open, you'll see what scale you've selected.

Again, comments and suggestions are welcome!

Peace \/
chisel316
exper
loss1234 wrote:

Yeah sorry, count me as one of those people! It's not just color per se, I have a PEG that doesn't bother me. It's the clashing colors. Looking at a pic of it just gives me a headache! Can't imagine it in a case, trying to see it in the dark!

B/W panels would definitely get me to buy one!
soundwave106
FSK1138 wrote:
how about A196 PLL EMULATION

The Ardcore sample code already contains a slope detection program. You'd have to supply your own VCO and VCF, but I imagine that the slope detection program can be tweaked into something A196 like.

The CPU is only powerful enough for primitive, grungy oscillators. (And filters, perhaps, too... probably only the most primitive algorithms will work if that...)
jbucks
I just got an Ardcore, but I’m not too familiar with Arduino yet (but have a little knowledge of programming Processing). But I've got a query for those more knowledgeable:

Based on the discussion in this thread about harmonic ratios for use with FM, is there an Ardcore sketch which works like a Ratio Quantizer?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70224&highlight=rati o

Basically, given an audio frequency and a CV input, the Ratio Quantizer would output frequencies based on multiples within the harmonic series rather than notes within a scale (sorry if I’m talking out of my ass here – I think I have a fairly good grasp on this stuff, but what I’m writing could be false).

So Ardcore would detect the audio frequency at an input (is it capable of frequency counting?), then run it through something where:

output frequency = input frequency X n

Where n equals whole numbers derived from a quantized CV input. This would (I think) result in pretty controllable frequencies to route to a second oscillator for linear FM? Or would it?

If I'm way off base with my reasoning, then ignore me!
chisel316
jbucks wrote:

Basically, given an audio frequency and a CV input, the Ratio Quantizer would output frequencies based on multiples within the harmonic series rather than notes within a scale (sorry if I’m talking out of my ass here – I think I have a fairly good grasp on this stuff, but what I’m writing could be false).

Since the ArdCore is only 8-bit, it's better to send it CVs than audio. The CV inputs/outputs are 0-5V giving you a five octave range. You can create a sketch that takes a CV input and outputs a multiple of it. You'll have to split the original CV before sending it to the ArdCore since there is only one DAC output.

Peace \/
chisel316
makaton
mudlogger wrote:
loss1234 wrote:

I'd be interested in a black and silver panel - i agree - i think people are not buying it because of the colour/design. Maybe have a reversible panel?

+1 on black and silver panel
FatRocky
this module is great!

please make the silver faceplate hyper hyper hyper
loss1234
hey guys

Snazzy FX has gotten a sub-forum now on Muff's

So in the interest of getting more Ardcore discussion going (trading code ??) etc...I am going to put an Ardcore thread (or threads) over there.

feel free to start your own on the sub-forum...the more ardcore discussion we get going...the more CODE we will see.

I know there are sketches out there that people have written that no one has seen yet. I got really inspired the other night after playing with a few of the user sketches that I found on muff's and I am excited about the future of this module.

thanks

dan
lahebr
I found the VCRampLFOChaos (by soundwave106) super interesting. Really great for chaotic generative music. I use the wogglebug for the input cv into the two inputs. Really nice and
mono-poly
Is it possible to hookup an usb midicontroller to the usb port and write programs to use these? angry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Page 1 of 13