MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

StudioLogic Sledge - Waldorf VA Synth?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author StudioLogic Sledge - Waldorf VA Synth?
CalvaryBand
Article on Matrixsynth.

This looks very interesting. Maybe it's a blown up Blofeld with knobs? Not sure I'm so keen on the color but I have to commend them on the interface!
eXode
It's not based on Blofeld afaik. Only 1 of the 3 osc's has wavetables, only 1 filter with LP/BP/HP in either 12/24 dB (i.e. no Comb) etc.
eXode
"The Studiologic Sledge Synthesizer boosts the DSP heart of the latest Waldorf modelling technology, combined with an intuative user interface. Get right into your music instead of reading manuals and learning menu structures."

Specifications:
• 32 Pots
• 3 chicken head rotary switches (7 positions)
• 1 rotary encoder with push function
• 2 x 16 digits backlit LCD
• High Quality Pitch and Mod Wheel
• up to 256 Sounds
• fast and efficient sound selection via numeric keypad
• 2 fast LFOs per voice, each with adjustable Speed and Depth
• 1 extra modulation routing for Mod Wheel, with adjustable Speed and Depth
- Shape: Sawtooth, Rectangular, Triangle, Sine, Sample & Hold, Ramp
- Destination: Osc 1, Osc2, Ocs3, PWM / Wave / FM, Volume, Filter Cutoff
• Monophonic mode with single or multiple trigger
• 3 Oscillators per voice
- Range from 64' to 1' each
- Shapes: Sawtooth, Square, Triangle, Sine, Pulse (with Pulse Width Modulation)
- Oscillator 1 with 66 Original PPG Wavetables
• Frequency Modulation of sine and triangle
• Oscillator Hardsync (Osc 2 to Osc 3)
• Noise Generator with selectable white and pink noise
• Mixer with Volume and On/Off switch for each Oscillator and Noise
• 1 Multi Mode Filter per voice
- 24 / 12dB
- Lowpass
- Highpass
- Bandpass
- Resonance up to Self-Oscillation and beyond
- Adjustable Keytrack and Drive
• 2 fast Envelopes per voice (filter / amplifier)
• Powerful Arpeggiator
- Latch mode
- syncable to MIDI Clock
- Direction Up, Down, Alternate
- Range up to 10 Octaves
• 2 simultaneuous Effects
- Effect 1: Chorus / Phaser / Flanger
- Effect 2: Reverb / Delay
• sturdy, lightweight enclosure (less than 10 KG)
• high quality, 5 octaves Fatar TP 9 keyboard
• Master Volume Control • Power Switch
• Stereo line output
• Headphone output
• Expression pedal input
• MIDI in and out
• USB connector for MIDI in / out
- uses standard USB MIDI driver provided by host computer OS
- Windows ME minimum, Windows XP or newer recommended
- Mac OS X 10.2 minimum, Mac OS X 10.3 or newer recommended
• Built in power supply"
eXode
http://m.matrixsynth.com/2012/01/namm-studiologic-sledge-synthesizer.h tml

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2012/01/namm-2012-studiologic-sledge-polyphon ic.html

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2012/01/namm-namm2012-studiologic-sledge-by.h tml
3vcos
Had a go at this synth at namm...
Build quality was crap. The pots are wobbly and the synth feels like a lightweight plastic box.
Vco 1 was not working.
Sounded average through headphones.
Rod Serling Fan Club
It seems to be historically true that italians make cool looking instruments that are really poor quality.

CalvaryBand
Ah, that's too bad it's not made very well. I think that is really the key to success for a piece like this.
h4ndcrafted
3vcos wrote:
Had a go at this synth at namm...
Build quality was crap. The pots are wobbly and the synth feels like a lightweight plastic box.
Vco 1 was not working.
Sounded average through headphones.

Well if it has the same keybed as the Blofeld KB which I think it has, it is very good quality. I use my Blofeld as a master kb and it is way better than the keybeds that are on korgs, rolands and i prefer it to the Nords as well.

The rest well be plastic shite though lol but wh cares that Blofeld sound engine is fantastic!

Srsly the keys are solid, great poly aftertouch performance as well, need to be worn in a bit, but make the cheaper Korg workstations look like toy parts.
SepticUnderground
Here is a pic i could grab
SepticUnderground
I looks like a piece of gear that wild be like an aphrodisiac for Studioline L'oreal type of ppl

Not my cup of tea this, too much 'designer' looks
eXode
I actually like the look on that image, I like the choice of knobs on the panel and that it seems to have one knob/button per function. But all that doesn't really matter if it sounds shite and feels cheap though.

However I don't have any interest at all in a VA synth atm.
mome rath
http://m.matrixsynth.com/2012/01/namm-2012-studiologic-sledge-polyphon ic.html

this dude is SO excited by the synth that he paws at for 5 minutes, but he doesn't make a single sound with it
eXode
Haha, yeah I saw that one too. It's kind of funny because he goes on about how great it sounds and you don't hear anything (probably because he's on headphones) but still so funny.
aksen
looks like it's missing a lot from the blofeld. in addition to those already mentioned:

only 2 envelopes
no ring mod
reduced effects
no modulation matrix

pity, because while i'm not a fan of the colour, having a blofeld with knobs for most parameters would seriously rule.
de_raaf
kind of pity, but i guess waldorf doesn't really want to compete with their selves, so you got something half
Sir Ruff
aksen wrote:
looks like it's missing a lot from the blofeld. in addition to those already mentioned:

only 2 envelopes
no ring mod
reduced effects
no modulation matrix

pity, because while i'm not a fan of the colour, having a blofeld with knobs for most parameters would seriously rule.

I guess the trade off is that you get a host of knobs instead... Pretty appealing in that sense, especially if the wavetables are your main draw, as they are for me (though I've got a blofeld I'm very happy with now).
REwire

This I Like! Sounds Eeeeeevil!
jw112
zaphod betamax
Actually it responds to Blofeld CC, which suggests it is!
It has comb filters, PPG filters, and notch filter via CC.

eXode wrote:
It's not based on Blofeld afaik. Only 1 of the 3 osc's has wavetables, only 1 filter with LP/BP/HP in either 12/24 dB (i.e. no Comb) etc.
zaphod betamax
I have both the Sledge II and 2 Waldorf Blofeld keyboards.
Once you get playing with them, they will reveal their different
personalities!

Sir Ruff wrote:
aksen wrote:

only 2 envelopes
no ring mod
reduced effects
no modulation matrix

I guess the trade off is that you get a host of knobs instead... Pretty appealing in that sense, especially if the wavetables are your main draw, as they are for me (though I've got a blofeld I'm very happy with now).
MoonPoly
Care to go into detail about teir different personalities. Guinness ftw!

zaphod betamax wrote:
personalities!

Sir Ruff wrote:
aksen wrote:

only 2 envelopes
no ring mod
reduced effects
no modulation matrix

zaphod betamax
For one thing, and I find this most awesome, is that you can feed the Blofeld CC real time via midi from a Blofeld keyboard.

Here's a list of stuff you can send it via realtime CC which can not be accessed from the Sledge's front panel.
a)detune Osc1
b)Take the Sledge to 1/2' or 128'
c)Invoke PPG, both Notches, both Comb filters
d)Screw with the parameters of the effects (like a stereo effect with reverb on the right ending with an echo on the left)
e)disable the filter totally (great with reverb hack and wavetables)

Instead of a long list head over to google type "mark pigott youtube".
i am doing videos of my experiments.
take care
mark

MoonPoly wrote:
Care to go into detail about teir different personalities. Guinness ftw!

zaphod betamax wrote:
personalities!

Sir Ruff wrote:
aksen wrote:

only 2 envelopes
no ring mod
reduced effects
no modulation matrix

1-still-like-Ike-
Question for any sledge users... Have you noticed any weird bugs on your sledge over the last year? I've had a Sledge 2.1 for about two (2) years, and just today, I noticed what appears to be two new problems that I've never encountered before:

1) When I put "chorus" on any patch, it gets WAY louder than before... but phaser and flanger (or no effect at all) seem to be normal volume. (Or put another way... if chorus is at unity gain, then phaser/flanger/no effect seems to be significantly quieter).

2) My arpeggiator stopped working altogether!! Patches that are "ARP" don't arpeggiate... and even on non-arpeggiated patches, if I turn the arpeggiator ON thru the menu, they still just play like a normal mono/poly patch and the arpeggio doesn't trigger. I tried messing with the velocity setting (saw a youtube video about it) but no luck.

I love my sledge (as limited as it can be sometimes)... it kills me to think I might need to try to get it repaired with studiologic/fatar's minimal U.S. repair network. Any ideas?
zaphod betamax
Can't replicate on my OS2.2 Yellow...

1-still-like-Ike- wrote:
Question for any sledge users... Have you noticed any weird bugs on your sledge over the last year? I've had a Sledge 2.1 for about two (2) years, and just today, I noticed what appears to be two new problems that I've never encountered before:

1) When I put "chorus" on any patch, it gets WAY louder than before... but phaser and flanger (or no effect at all) seem to be normal volume. (Or put another way... if chorus is at unity gain, then phaser/flanger/no effect seems to be significantly quieter).

2) My arpeggiator stopped working altogether!! Patches that are "ARP" don't arpeggiate... and even on non-arpeggiated patches, if I turn the arpeggiator ON thru the menu, they still just play like a normal mono/poly patch and the arpeggio doesn't trigger. I tried messing with the velocity setting (saw a youtube video about it) but no luck.

I love my sledge (as limited as it can be sometimes)... it kills me to think I might need to try to get it repaired with studiologic/fatar's minimal U.S. repair network. Any ideas?
xparis001
1-still-like-Ike- wrote:

for #2, is it slaved to external clock? Lots of synths wont play their arps if their clock is set to external, and they're not receiving clock.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2