MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tips and Techniques
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Tips and Techniques
stretta
I have a reasonably complex volta patch set up. Volta is providing two step sequencers, two trigger sequencer and four LFOs. I record the result. Then I thought... hey - this would be cool if it were stereo. So, I recorded it again. Pan left, pan right, voila, stereo.

The cool thing about this is the phase of all the sequencers and LFOs is linked to the sequence, thus providing identical modulation to both passes. You don't have to do it this way, but it is good to have the option of complete repeatability if you want it.
stretta
Volta has multed the same step sequence to two outputs. One output goes to a lag processor. The normal output and lagged output are sent into a VC switch. Now I can use a trigger sequencer to enable portamento on whatever steps I want.
stretta
AIiiiiggghghhHaGAHHhh.

The Malgorithm is a lot of fun with Volta. I like bit crushers, but most lack CV input which is where all the fun is. I'm using two independent step sequencers to modulate bit depth and nyquist. It is really easy to create different 'feels' by playing three against two, for example.

Input gain changes the character of what the malgorithm does dramatically - as you would expect, almost like bringing the threshold down on a gate. Volta can be used to automate this - for example, gating the output of a sequence with another vca/envelope. Modulating the release time reveals more of the underlying sequence feeding the Malgorithm.
parasitk
stretta wrote:
AIiiiiggghghhHaGAHHhh.

I agree!
stretta
The step sequencer and trigger sequencer allow you to edit the inactive (non-playing) portion of the loop. As a live performance tool (or even to create variation when recording), start with a short loop, and then modify the unplayed steps. Then you can increase the looped area to 'reveal' the edits. Move the loop back down and repeat the process to create a seamless, living sequence.
bar|none
Might need a video for that one stretta. What do you think?

Sounds cool.
stretta
Quote:
Might need a video for that one stretta. What do you think?

Would you settle for an MP3?

Just screwing around with Volta. Three passes of using Volta's internal step sequencers only. 3&4 recorded at the same time.

1) FM patch - two step sequencers providing pitch CV to carrier and modulator. (2x Z3000) Cwejman MMF-1 modulated by volta feeding low pass gate.

2) Same sequence as #2, modified slightly, and routed to malgorithm, modulated by volta step sequencers

3) a sort of hi-hat sound created by white noise fed into a synthacon filter modulated by a volta synced LFO. Doepfer VCA modulated by a RS-60 EG, triggered by volta trigger sequencer. Played with the trigger sequencer in real time during record to produce variations.

4) kick drum produced with a Z3000 sine. Cwejman ADSR-VC2 modulating pitch and providing EG to Cwejman VCA-2P. Three modules total. Snappy ADSR-VC2 FTW.
bar|none
Yes I would!

Love it. Wow. Thanks for the descriptions of how you did it as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1