MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

TR-606 multi trigger out mod guide
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author TR-606 multi trigger out mod guide
rekem1000
I had more than one person ask how I did the trigger outs for all sounds on my TR-606 so here are the points I used.
The trigger data lines are marked on the schematic as BD, SD, LT, HT, CY, OH, CH and Trig inside little triangle boxes. Follow these to the FIRST transistors in each line, Q14, Q19, Q303, Q301, Q28, Q26, Q21.

I used the resistor tied to the collector of each, this gives 5V trigger on it's own boosted to 10V when you add Accent. Solder each point to a 100K resistor tied to a minijack and ground all the jacks together and use the ground on either of the already supplied tom trigger jacks then w00t
Bryan B
Nice! Thanks for posting this.
Neutron7
I would like to know how to do trigger INs on one.
digital_steve
applause
thumbs up
rekem1000
Trigger ins would be the same area just probe about with a pulse until you get a sound.
Bryan B
I put trigger in's on mine, but how do you avoid a double trigger?
rekem1000
I don't understand, you want the 606 to trigger out and in at the same time? That might be asking a bit much. Either in or out on it's own should work fine.
dougt
I think if you try to have multiple trig outs on the same step it won't work (not enough current)...
rekem1000
You can have 2 trig outs for the toms only.
ringstone
Bryan B wrote:

The "trigger conditioner" circuit Eric Archer published in regard to his 808 clones may be of help here (you'll need to scroll down to just before the comments):

http://ericarcher.net/devices/tr808-clone/

As far as both input/output triggers go, I don't think there would be any real issues with feeding in a trigger as well as pulling off output triggers. I would think some buffering for the output triggers might be useful though.

Cheers
Blair
digital_steve
ringstone wrote:
Bryan B wrote:

The "trigger conditioner" circuit Eric Archer published in regard to his 808 clones may be of help here (you'll need to scroll down to just before the comments):

http://ericarcher.net/devices/tr808-clone/

As far as both input/output triggers go, I don't think there would be any real issues with feeding in a trigger as well as pulling off output triggers. I would think some buffering for the output triggers might be useful though.

Cheers
Blair

So... Blair... How's your spare time looking?
Dead Banana
ringstone
digital_steve wrote:

Dead Banana

hihi Might be some time before you see me again, we are stuck up in Qld in the floods eek! Not too bad where we are but we still have to get back to Brisbane by the weekend...

Cheers
Blair
digital_steve
ringstone wrote:
digital_steve wrote:

Dead Banana

hihi Might be some time before you see me again, we are stuck up in Qld in the floods eek! Not too bad where we are but we still have to get back to Brisbane by the weekend...

Cheers
Blair

woah
Shit mate, hope everything is ok and you and the family stay safe. Keep safe buddy.
Same to anyone else up that way.
ringstone
digital_steve wrote:

Same to anyone else up that way.

Yeah, I know a certain drummer and I have had words in the past - but the Gold Coast was pretty badly hit, and that's not something I'd wish on anyone... hope he and everyone else in Qld is ok...

Cheers
Blair
rekem1000
You could have triggers going in and out simultaniously but I don't see how that would be very useful. I guess what you are asking is if you could use the internal sequencer as trigger only and sequence the sounds seperately from another sequencer. I suppose that would be possible if you broke the data lines to the sounds in the right place with switches.
ringstone
rekem1000 wrote:
You could have triggers going in and out simultaniously but I don't see how that would be very useful. I guess what you are asking is if you could use the internal sequencer as trigger only and sequence the sounds seperately from another sequencer. I suppose that would be possible if you broke the data lines to the sounds in the right place with switches.

Just expands the possibilities I guess - you could use the sequencer engine in the 606 to trigger more external sounds than the 2 default, pretty handy in a live improv situation, and then, say, switch to triggering the internal sounds from a PC with Silent Way if you were recording a more complex composition in the studio.

Can't be 100% sure as I'm not able to test, but breaking the data lines would probably not be necessary. You can, for example, have a synth module with 2 or more CV input sockets to the same destination. Having switches would be a worthwhile mod, though, as it would allow you to mute a voice with a flick of a switch.

Cheers
Blair
dougt
rekem1000 wrote:
You can have 2 trig outs for the toms only.

Right so the multiple trig out mod as described doesn't seem too worthwhile... Buffered with some additional opamps would be better..
rekem1000
I get what you mean now, I guess it depends on how many things you want to sequence at once and how strong a trigger they need. If you want to fire off all 7 triggers at once then mabey not, I never tried that, but it's still very useful for having 7 different sequences running at a time with triggers on different steps with some overlap it's fine.
machum
Would separate outs also effectively work as extra separate triggers ?
Juxwl
SlayerBadger! Love this topic!
ThinLazy
Thanks for posting this. I'm planning on trying this
out on my 606 once I get working again.
GrantB
I was thinking about doing the individual outs mod, but having the one for the cymbal be a trigger out. I like the sound of the 606 trigger a lot better than the cymbal.
machum
The individual outs is pretty easy to do. Discovered they dont really put out enough to function well also as triggers. I think this could be fixed with some simple circuitry - maybe made switchable between a separate out and a trigger ?
Bryan B
There are some spots on the PCB that respond well to CV. When I put the trigger inputs on mine, I noticed an LFO input would shape hi-hat noises. I love modulating my noise output.

Another fun thing I did was to run an oscillator into the BD trigger an you have a sync'd VCO coming out of your 606! It sounds nice and raw.
ThinLazy
Hey Guys,
I just did the tigger out mod to my tr-606. I first took the trigs from
Q14, Q19, Q303, Q301, Q28, Q26, Q21 as rekem1000 originally posted
but these just gave a steady clock signal. To get the sequenced trigs
I had to go to the next transistor in each voice chain and this worked
with the Accent changing the level (rezzn8r had posted this here before).
So the points that ended working were

From Rezzn8r:
BD = Q15
SD = Q18
CY = Q29
OH = Q27
CH = Q22
Attach to the middle pin of each Q, and wire with common ground.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2