MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any headless fans here?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Any headless fans here?
stevenclements
I've got a very nice Ibanez IMG-2010

love it... wish I could figure out how to hang it like the rest of the guitars
Rockin' Banana!
sonicwarrior
That's a MIDI guitar, right?
stevenclements
sonicwarrior wrote:
That's a MIDI guitar, right?

Yes indeed, 24 pin out 3 pups, 2 double coil and one hex
sonicwarrior
Got a funny picture about headless guitars:
GovernorSilver
Late to the party, but yes, I'm a fan. I once owned a Steinberger GM7TA.

Now I am lusting for a Strandberg Boden 8 production model.

http://strandbergguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/AES_Strandberg _Catalog_2014.pdf
stevenclements
I keep pacing... I wanna pull the trigger on a Carvin HH2
sonicwarrior
GovernorSilver wrote:

Still after the whooping price increase?

That turned me off. Currently I'm lusting for a Xen or Skervesen headless. With 7 or 8 strings. Still undecided on that but I probably won't order this year anyway. Need to practice more before justifying that investment. help
GovernorSilver
sonicwarrior wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Still after the whooping price increase?

Unfortunate, yes, but I understand switching to the Washburn factory had something to do with it - higher quality construction and materials to go with the higher price. At least that is what I garnered from the Astral EXF FB page and the sevenstring forum (which admittedly I rarely visit).
sonicwarrior
Hmmm, I'm also subscribed to the .strandberg sevenstring thread but didn't notice anything about better hardware. Or do you mean the wood? I doubt the new Washburn wood is worth $500 more.

The thing is: For what those production models are costing (which is basically a mass production guitar although in a smaller scale more like synth modules) I can already get a complete custom guitar. Even ones made in more expensive countries like Germany.
And I can even get me a licensed Strandberg from a custom guitar builder with the original Strandberg hardware and everything.
GovernorSilver
sonicwarrior wrote:

And I can even get me a licensed Strandberg from a custom guitar builder with the original Strandberg hardware and everything.

Who is this builder?

I don't subscribe to any sevenstring.com thread. In fact I almost never visit that forum - I just found Strandberg threads by Google search. Regarding your other question, I found the thread by the guy who got a Boden from the Strictly 7 factory with worm holes and other mistakes. And on another thread, there is a guy who was happy with his Washburn-made Boden. Then again, there's another guy who got a Washburn-made Strandberg guitar that arrived with scratches on it.

I need to practice guitar more too, before justifying a headless 8-string guitar purchase. This is one of the downsides of being a multi-instrumentalist - I also play keys and bowed strings. Maybe by the time I'm ready, Astral EXR will have sorted out their issues. Then again, those OAF-XEN guitars look great to me too... 8_)
sonicwarrior
GovernorSilver wrote:
Who is this builder?

I didn't mean anyone specific. Strandberg offers licenses (and templates) so it can be any custom builder willing to build it.
GovernorSilver
sonicwarrior wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
Who is this builder?

I didn't mean anyone specific. Strandberg offers licenses (and templates) so it can be any custom builder willing to build it.

I was just wondering because he doesn't list licensed builders on his websites.

However, the more I look at those OAF-XEN collaboration guitars the more interested I get, lol.
sonicwarrior
GovernorSilver wrote:
I was just wondering because he doesn't list licensed builders on his websites.

No, it doesn't work this way. The license is ordered per custom order. But I just had a look and it seems the license doesn't cost anything anymore:
http://guitarworks.thestrandbergs.com/2013/03/01/design-licensing-perm issions/
There are just some specific rules. Basically when you publish the guitar (pictures, video) you have to put a reference to Strandberg in the text.
GovernorSilver
Currently Xen is the only luthier that is showing up as using a Strandberg licensed design - at least in Google search. Looks promising enough to me.

I'd be curious about what builder you choose for your headless project.
krz
Love my NS XL-2A. Was born/delivered as a fretless but much sight-reading necessitated getting it fretted. Now I wish it was the original unfretted graphite neck. Awespme sound and action! The new NS Design basses are sounding badass -as in super versatile. I think the newer Status basses look fantastic & ergonomic.
sonicwarrior
GovernorSilver wrote:
I'd be curious about what builder you choose for your headless project.

Currently my choice is between Claas, Xen/OAF (or the European partner) or Skervesen. Probably not the Strandberg design then as they all have their own design which I dig, too. But I too should practice more before buying another guitar.
GovernorSilver
krz wrote:
Love my NS XL-2A. Was born/delivered as a fretless but much sight-reading necessitated getting it fretted. Now I wish it was the original unfretted graphite neck. Awespme sound and action! The new NS Design basses are sounding badass -as in super versatile. I think the newer Status basses look fantastic & ergonomic.

Yeah, I've been an admirer of the Status Streamline for a while. Almost makes me want to take up bass again... except I know I'm going to turn into a Squarepusher clone (with 0.00314159% of his talent) if I do that

GovernorSilver
I almost forgot I signed up as a backer for this Kickstarter project - what can I say, i'm a sucker for weird looking guitars:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alpacaguitar/alpaca-guitar-the-ul timate-adventure-guitar

So i will be getting a new headless at some point this year, just not an extended range multi-scale, lol:

I just got Pete Huttlinger's new "50 Fingerstyle Licks You Must Know" course. Yet another reminder of how much more practicing I need to do on 6-string guitar. Rockin' Banana!
sonicwarrior
Looks like a Picasso face. wink
GovernorSilver
sonicwarrior wrote:
Looks like a Picasso face. wink

Now that you mention it... Looks like we have a name for my guitar when I get it. But I can't spell it with a "k" or I'll be sued by Linda Manzer.
GovernorSilver
Anybody mention Chris Forshage yet? He was inspired by Klein and Teuffel, and came up with his own take on their designs.

Some lucky gent (not me) just bought this one for just under $3000 used.
Suburban Bather
Whenever headless basses are mentioned, the first thing I think of is Milli Vanilli lol

krz
Some nice Ichabod Cranes and headless...
Milli who? ;)
trickness
Any Teuffel Tesla owners up in here? Always wanted one of those.....
Chrome Dinette
trickness wrote:
Any Teuffel Tesla owners up in here? Always wanted one of those.....

I have one of the early ones. It's great, though I hear the model has improved over the years.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 2 of 6